• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Simulcast Subtitles Get Corrected?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:47 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Fansubs have taught us that fans will always go for the cheapest (free) option so long as it's also the fastest. They don't care about quality. They'll even defend the complete inaccuracy not fully understanding the nature of the language or its translation.

Yeah, that's the impression I've always had--the people Crunchyroll are competing with are speedsubbers. The two parties are in competition over the people who want their anime as soon as possible. That being said, I think many are aware of translation and transliteration errors, no matter how egregious. These viewers are watching so as not to fall behind their friends and to be able to participate in their discussion. I've been in some of these groups, who shunned me in not watching some show the day the subs came up, and I'm sure this wasn't the only such group in existence.

gravediggernalk wrote:
Agreed. HTML5 (and blurays, while we're on the subject, albeit with a lot of bs and finagling) can support the same stylized subtitles (including the fancy "sign subtitles") that fansubbers have been producing for a long time. I'm not saying that it's something that should be done for simulcasts, because that would take forever, but it's something I wish they would think about while putting up catalog shows for stream and when releasing the shows for home video.

There was an Answerman column some time back where someone asked this. Flash/Animate is used, it seems, because it's easier to implement security and copy-protection on it than the alternatives. For companies who have suffered a great deal of piracy, this is a make-or-break factor.

belvadeer wrote:
What's worse is that some of them are college-level students and still type like they're in grade school, sadly. Just goes to show how much some folks still spit out that outdated and juvenile early-Internet era response: "Spelling and grammar don't matter online! We're not getting graded for it!"

Sigh...it makes you want to weep for the future of humanity sometimes.

I've read e-mails and text messages from people who use textspeak and are company executives. It may be an effect of laziness, an effect of rushedness, or a product of back when phone companies charged by the letter.

yurigasaki wrote:
i understand grousing when a show you like gets a legitimately shit-tier adaptation, dub or sub. and i understand it can be jarring and frustrating to catch a dumb mistake or typo in a sub track. but people don't seem to want to compromise on quality or speed when it comes to getting their simulcast shows -- they want 100% of both and that's neither fair or even doable.

Wait until they actually have to work for a living. Then they'll understand why adults are always making compromises.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Which in itself is odd because speedsub groups had plenty of errors in their releases. So even for fansubs, there was always a you can either take this release asap knowing it was rushed and thus more error prone or you can wait for that other group to release it in 4-5 days.

Maybe that notion from the 90's still exists in some people's heads that fansubbers are inherently better than anyoe who's gone official (and that includes fansubbers who are hired to be official translators). So they're either willing to forgive any errors they find as long as it comes from a fansubber, or if they're more extremist about it, accept anything the fansubbers write as gospel.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

There was an Answerman column some time back where someone asked this. Flash/Animate is used, it seems, because it's easier to implement security and copy-protection on it than the alternatives. For companies who have suffered a great deal of piracy, this is a make-or-break factor.

Really? Copy-protection that can't prevent from Crynchyroll rips to appear on illegal sites almost the moment they are at CR anyway? What's the point of applying already broken protection over better service for your customers?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
I've reported subtitle errors to Crunchyroll and had them corrected.
I haven't done this much in a long time since, when not watching on a PC where there is a handy reporting link right on the page (I haven't looked back once since switching to the Playstation app, since it is both more convenient and more reliable), it is a huge hassle.

It looks like the last time I submitted an error and got a actual response back to say it would be corrected was back in 2012 mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Really? Copy-protection that can't prevent from Crynchyroll rips to appear on illegal sites almost the moment they are at CR anyway? What's the point of applying already broken protection over better service for your customers?

It's not up to Crunchyroll. It's because the rights holders require some form of DRM no matter how broken. Why do so many people continue to think licensors like CR and Funi call the shots when all the power resides with the Japanese rights holders?

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Yeah, that's the impression I've always had--the people Crunchyroll are competing with are speedsubbers.

I don't follow fansubbing much any more, but my sense is that only rip-off groups like Horrible are speed subbing in English nowadays. What few fansubbing groups remain hold themselves to a higher standard and take longer as a result. In the past I could wait for weeks and sometimes months to get a fansubbed version of an arcane show like Oh! Edo Rocket or Hyouge Mono. Reliable subbing groups tried to get their shows out in the same week as it aired in Japan if there was sufficient demand.

Zalis116 wrote:
if you go back and watch various shows from 2009 on CR, you get the same shoddy subs that viewers saw when those titles were first airing.

Kemono no Sou-ja Erin is a particularly atrocious example. It was one of the first shows CR subbed, and their translators sometimes didn't even get the genders correct. (Yes, I know that Japanese often doesn't specify gender, but it was usually obvious from context.) It's one of the few shows where I would unequivocally recommend watching the fansub over the CR version.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Of course, the bottom line is that Crunchyroll is legal and the fansubs are not. For me that makes up for a lot of typos and minor translation disagreements. Your mileage may vary.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
ItAintEazy wrote:
I wonder if the people who tolerate mistakes in their professional anime subs would tolerate the same mistakes in any other paid media, be it books, articles, magazines, etc.

I wonder if the same people who insist on firing "incompetent" staff working on professional anime subs would also insist that they themselves be fired when making small errors in their job, like accidentally dropping a burger or forgetting the fries.

People like bs3311 definitely come off like petulant children who have no idea what they're talking about by making completely unreasonable demands. What's incredibly ironic is that display of grammar though, I'm surprised they can even spot grammar and spelling mistakes. Tajima, well done for thoroughly putting them in their place.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

It's not up to Crunchyroll. It's because the rights holders require some form of DRM no matter how broken. Why do so many people continue to think licensors like CR and Funi call the shots when all the power resides with the Japanese rights holders?

I wouldn't pretend to be an expert here, but I remember there was some big argument about DRM in HTML5, with the pro-DRM group eventually winning this fight, so it's not like there is no copy-protection in HTML5. So, in my laic view of things, it should not matter which copy-protection you implement, should it?
PMDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Flawed subtitles are an interesting quandary.

If you know enough about the show, or enough Japanese, to know the subtitle is wrong, then you probably don't need to be watching it with subtitles, so the flaws should not matter too much.

And if you desperately NEED those subs to enjoy the show at all, then you probably don't know enough to notice the flaws, in which case they should not matter too much.

Either way, life goes on.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:

I wonder if the same people who insist on firing "incompetent" staff working on professional anime subs would also insist that they themselves be fired when making small errors in their job.

Except a few people aren't. Give some sort of punishment, with firing as a last resort.

Quote:
What's incredibly ironic is that display of grammar though, I'm surprised they can even spot grammar and spelling mistakes.

Just like Tajima said, you need a high form of understanding for it. And clearly some people looked to others, like English teachers (ala Hyper Anime Reviews for me) or internet users with said knowledge over subtitle translations or grammar.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Just like Tajima said, you need a high form of understanding for it. And clearly some people looked to others, like English teachers (ala Hyper Anime Reviews for me) or internet users with said knowledge over subtitle translations or grammar.

So you're being outraged on behalf of other people, even though you yourself do not possess the "high form of understanding" required to be inconvenienced by the mistakes yourself.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:

So you're being outraged on behalf of other people, even though you yourself do not possess the "high form of understanding" required to be inconvenienced by the mistakes yourself.

No, they have their own voice. But knowing that professionals can criticize them makes me weary on the quality of these companies as a whole. Plus, just like you and possibly other users. I have my own limits on what reaches, "perfection." Involving grammar. Just like penguintruth, pause and select or cyanide blizzard. Grammar in social media means little to me since it's a free piece of instant communication besides our monthly internet bills. Grammar matters in the professional scene, like a speech, interview or delivery of product.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Plus, just like you and possibly other users. I have my own limits on what reaches, "perfection." Involving grammar.

Just like everyone, you mean, including translators.

bs3311 wrote:
Grammar in social media means little to me since it's a free piece of instant communication besides our monthly internet bills.

What a poor argument. Grammar is part of how you conduct yourself, it's how you communicate with others, it's how others see you. I'd argue it has more importance here than a few negligible mistakes in an anime sub, because you are trying to argue a point.

Who wants to listen to a person who can't be bothered to string together a grammatically correct sentence, hypocritically chastising hard-working translators for their lack of attention to grammatical detail? They have a quick turn-around time as their excuse, what's yours? Even worse, poor grammar might make you look uneducated, and people don't want to listen to the nitpicky ravings of a dim-wit either.

Grammar in social media should mean as much to you as grammar anywhere else does. Practice what you preach.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:

Who wants to listen to a person who can't be bothered to string together a grammatically correct sentence, hypocritically chastising hard-working translators for their lack of attention to grammatical detail? They have a quick turn-around time as their excuse, what's yours? Even worse, poor grammar might make you look uneducated, and people don't want to listen to the nitpicky ravings of a dim-wit either.

Grammar in social media should mean as much to you as grammar anywhere else does. Practice what you preach.

I'm not getting payed for this, I don't know who you are so I can't warp it into something that can fit your own, "nitpicky." Standard, I'm not making a video and this forum is a legit niche sub culture with groups that already have their own entitled opinions. You say it like I'll swoon over the masses if I just make fancy grammar changes. And I bet you wouldn't change your mind either in this mosh pit of a site no matter how constructed the user's sentences are. Why do it then, you might ask? Because it's still better than doing nothing at all.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
I'm not getting payed for this, I don't know who you are so I can't warp it into something that can fit your own, "nitpicky." Standard, I'm not making a video and this forum is a legit niche sub culture with groups that already have their own entitled opinions. You say it like I'll swoon over the masses if I just make fancy grammar changes. And I bet you wouldn't change your mind either in this mosh pit of a site no matter how constructed the user's sentences are. Why do it then, you might ask? Because it's still better than doing nothing at all.

Jesus Christ, your posts are growing more and more incoherent as you ramble on.

Usually, I find arguments that sway me or at least make me respect them are ones that are also well presented and coherent. You say that my mind wouldn't be changed, but that's only because your argument is so poor.

The article offered insight into why this situation is the way it is, I learned from it, and it also made reasonable sense. Then you stormed in and demanded you knew better and that it was just down to the translators being incompetent. You raved about how they should be fired for making typos! You're right, you were never going to change my mind with that kind of self-entitled attitude.

Here's an example of a post from your side of the camp that made sense:
Daizo wrote:
Here's a couple fun facts:

- Crunchyroll has at least around 150 on-site employees in San Franscisco, one of the most expensive places on Earth to live (and obviously the pay grades need to be high enough for people to actually be able to live there so they can work on-site).
- Meanwhile, basically all the subtitling staff is remote contractors, and they're paid in essentially peanuts. A translator only gets $80 per episode flat, regardless of how long or complicated the script is. (Timers get $20 per episode, and considering that a good timer can do an episode in 30 minutes, this means a translator would need to produce a script in mere 2 hours in order to have an equal hourly wage to a timer. More likely their hourly wage is going to be worse, though.)

So it's not that Crunchyroll wouldn't have money, it's just that they don't seem to be particularly interested in investing any of it into improving just, you know, their main product. After all, it's not like the legal consumers have a choice anyway with licenses being primarily exclusive :^)

Hey look, it was well presented, it offered facts, it offered sources, it offered a new perspective to consider. It wasn't just petulant outrage over something insignificant. It's a post that earned my respect and piqued my curiosity. If it had the same content but was written poorly, however, I might have glossed over it. The fact that it is composed well is one factor of several that make it a good post.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:

Hey look, it was well presented, it offered facts, it offered sources, it offered a new perspective to consider. It wasn't just petulant outrage over something insignificant. It's a post that earned my respect and piqued my curiosity. If it had the same content but was written poorly, however, I might have glossed over it. The fact that it is composed well is one factor of several that make it a good post.

I was impressed by the source too since not even my interviewing buds knew anything about it, but his/her commentary no matter how etiquette or poor is pointless to me because of the articles that write his/her opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7