• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fuuka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I'm two weeks behind, because I'm watching the simul-dub on Funimation, meaning I only watched episode 8 last night.

There seems to have been a week's pause(?) so you're only 'almost'( episode 10 tomorrow) two weeks behind...

It IS confirmed as one cour. I'm dumbfounded as well considering the source plot, though of course there's a chance they'll go anime-original...

Edit 10/3 Episode 10; Oh shit, they went anime original. This comment thread's gonna explode...Cool

Well, I guess it would have either way...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Edit 10/3 Episode 10; Oh shit, they went anime original. This comment thread's gonna explode...8-)

(sound of crickets…)

What happened? Now that the cat's out of the bag, where's the freakout?

Also, I'll be really interested to see what this does to the disc sales, to yank the Big Twist that the manga readers were anticipating the whole time.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
The twist is probably one of the cheapest attempts for drama in anything,though it's hilarious in how it's framed and random it all is. The later twist when meeting the other girl,who happens to have the same name,along with also being in a band,is some of the hackiest writing.

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cetais

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
invalidname wrote:
I'm two weeks behind, because I'm watching the simul-dub on Funimation, meaning I only watched episode 8 last night.

There seems to have been a week's pause(?) so you're only 'almost'( episode 10 tomorrow) two weeks behind...

It IS confirmed as one cour. I'm dumbfounded as well considering the source plot, though of course there's a chance they'll go anime-original...

Edit 10/3 Episode 10; Oh shit, they went anime original. This comment thread's gonna explode...Cool

Well, I guess it would have either way...
The week's pause was done because episode 1-2 aired the same day.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

(sound of crickets…)

What happened? Now that the cat's out of the bag, where's the freakout?

Also, I'll be really interested to see what this does to the disc sales, to yank the Big Twist that the manga readers were anticipating the whole time.

There's no freak out cause nobody cares about Fuuka anymore <.< We started noticing the changes almost 3 weeks ago, aka people were already expecting the Truck-kun meeting to go a bit differently. They just left cause of it tbh...
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Man, and I was really hoping I'd get a great gif out of this dumpster fire too.

This show really does have no purpose now.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Breathes in...out. I am going to burn this anime to the ground. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Animechic420 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I now half expect Seo to show up at the very last episode like Stan Lee in the Spiderman cartoon back in the 90s.

Goddamnit I'm old.
KML777

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
Oh no. By saving Fuuka, I'm afraid we have created a time wound. Now I'm expecting reapers to appear at some point.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:19 am Reply with quote
KML777 wrote:
Oh no. By saving Fuuka, I'm afraid we have created a time wound. Now I'm expecting reapers to appear at some point.

You rang?
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
It looks like Yuu is oblivious to her feelings (for some reason – weren't they dating earlier in the show?)

Um... No... Yuu seemed to be falling for her, but there hadn't been any confessions or dating going on. There was some typical shounen falling on her and accidentally groping her, but that doesn't count as dating. If you're talking about the movie, they went to that as friends. They "pretended to be a couple" in order to get the matching cell phone straps that Fuuka wanted and when Yuu felt bad about it she said something to the effect of "You never know? Maybe it might not be a lie?" But they weren't "dating" as in in a committed relationship. (In the manga, that would have happened around the time he started dating Koyuki.)

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
The Hedgehogs' last two members – a pair of blonde siblings – also show up. I'm not sure why the show thinks that I might care about them. They've barely built up The Hedgehogs at all, and I didn't even know that there were five members until now. It feels like they were the main characters of a prequel story that I'm pretty sure doesn't exist.

Now I'm starting to wonder if we're watching the same show...

Okay... You remember that Yuu and Koyuki have nicknames that they call each other: Tama-chan and Nico-Kun, right? Do you recall where those come from? They are the LEAD SINGER and BASS PLAYER from their favorite band, THE HEDGEHOGS! So, up to this episode, the members of the Hedgehogs we have met have been the keyboardist, the drummer, and the lead guitarist... leaving the lead singer and the bass player as the two that we haven't met yet. Those would be Tama and Nico... Now let's remember WHY the Hedgehogs are on hiatus in the first place... When they were at the beach, the kids were told that six years ago, Tama just up and left with no explanation and Nico went to look for her. The band has been on hiatus since then. They haven't heard from either of them since. So, if you think about it, those two members of the band were the two who "stuck out". They were the ones people remembered. The lead singer, Tama, and the bass player, Nico. Most likely Nico was the main song writer of the group, would be my guess, with Tama writing lyrics or something like that. But the fans of the group gravitated toward those two.

Now, in the manga, they have a larger role than they probably will in the anime. I can't really imagine what they will be doing, spoiler[other than probably Tama getting Fuuka's head screwed on straight and telling her to stick with her band or something like that, which of course never happened in the manga, since Tama never MET Fuuka Akitsuki...]

They are also NOT siblings, BTW. I don't know for sure if it was mentioned in the anime, but Nico is quite in love with Tama and not in an incestuous manner. Just because they are both blond doesn't make them siblings. I have no idea what gave you the idea that they were. Rock stars dye their hair... It's a thing... They don't have to be natural blonds like Mikasa.

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
Fuuka is still too emotionally constipated over her feelings for Yuu to write their next song, but they truck on through anyways.

Gabriella Ekens wrote:
Even without the new song, our heroes pull off their concert, but it's just them signing those same two songs for like the third time now, which isn't impressive anymore.

Okay... Now I am positive that we are not watching the same show...

Fuuka FINISHED THE SONG!

She played the song for Yuu on the school rooftop. Remember when she was listening to it and crying when he found her up there in THIS episode? (And she came to the realization that she is in love with Yuu?) Then she put her headphones on his ears and let him listen to the song? Then at the end of the concert she announced that they were doing their ORIGINAL song and they started singing "For You", which is "The Fallen Moon's" first original song? Then Koyuki listened to the lyrics of the song and knew for SURE that Fuuka is in love with Yuu? (At least that was my take on her reaction to the lyrics...)

I do agree that Mikasa's story line deserves more play (I felt that about the manga as well) but it is also kind of prototypical. It is simple really. He is the scion of a rich family and he should be studying business, not wasting his time with music. spoiler[What the anime totally glossed over so far is the fact that his father also expects him to marry the girl he picks out for him and stop this foolish "being gay" rebellious thing. So, basically, his father wants him to be ENTIRELY someone he isn't.]

Perhaps that will be covered in the next couple of episodes spoiler[as the band breaks up and he no longer has a reason to go against his father's wishes other than his own well being, and he weighs that against never being able to be part of his sister's life because of being disowned by his father...]

Interestingly, it appears that what the anime has done is, in a sense, taken the character of Fuuka Akitsuki and morphed her into the character of Fuuka Aoi by having Yuu dating Koyuki and her coming to realize her feelings after they get together instead of the way it happened in the manga, then having her NOT die. Leaving behind the cell phone strap after she didn't get killed by the truck, even though she could have reached down and picked it up once the truck was stopped (even though it was broken and smudged.) was very much symbolic of her "giving up on Yuu", since the matching straps were symbolic of the two of them together, though that was MUCH MORE the case in the manga than in the anime. (Does Yuu still have his on his phone? That would be interesting to note...)

The other major change here is in the character of Yuu. spoiler[The big thing that happened for Yuu as a result of her accident, other than a major bout of depression because his girlfriend died, was that they discovered that he is just as talented of a singer as Fuuka. Fuuka actually already knew that. They had sung together and she had told him repeatedly that she really loved his voice, but he was too shy to sing in front of anyone other than her. When she doesn't make it in time for the gig and nobody knows why, they have to go on without her. He is the only one of them that actually knows all of the lyrics to the songs and and can sing while playing. (Sara can't do that, evidently.) So he takes over as the lead singer for the gig and totally blows the crowd away.]

Of course, shortly after that they find out about Fuuka... But, eventually spoiler[when the band gets back together, it is with Yuu as the lead singer and songwriter.]
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I do agree that Mikasa's story line deserves more play (I felt that about the manga as well) but it is also kind of prototypical. It is simple really. He is the scion of a rich family and he should be studying business, not wasting his time with music. spoiler[What the anime totally glossed over so far is the fact that his father also expects him to marry the girl he picks out for him and stop this foolish "being gay" rebellious thing. So, basically, his father wants him to be ENTIRELY someone he isn't.]

Perhaps that will be covered in the next couple of episodes spoiler[as the band breaks up and he no longer has a reason to go against his father's wishes other than his own well being, and he weighs that against never being able to be part of his sister's life because of being disowned by his father...]

Whoa, I didn't know that! I'm a bit surprised that the manga has more guts to put "sensitive" topic like this. Plus it's in shonen manga! Usually I see gay/bi men in BL or shojo/josei but almost never in shonen manga. Thank you for sharing! Surprised
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

Is Mikasa even spoiler[gay] at all??? I don't see him with spoiler[any boys]. Confused
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
zensunni wrote:

Is Mikasa even spoiler[gay] at all??? I don't see him with spoiler[any boys]. Confused

Well... wikia and MAL stated that he's spoiler[gay]. Many reviewer also said so.
svines85

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Mmm....well, I won't say anything bad, I'm sure a lot of people got some enjoyment out of this, but I personally swore to never, ever, positively give anything by Kouji Seo even the smallest chance again after Kimi no Iru Machi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7