• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Doesn't Yaoi Anime Get Dubbed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Yeah, no, I somehow can't see any of that. At the beginning - maybe, but in general, no. I'm not saying the first impressions don't remind me of typical BL - they do, but that's why YOI is subversive - it starts off with the typical stuff we know and then flips it on its head. Also I cringe every time someone even as much as implies that Victor is the typical seme and Yuuri is the typical uke. Uke are pretty much 99% girls with a different set of genitals and that certainly can't be said about Yuuri. I'm not saying that Yuuri isn't less confident and in general less out there than Victor (although that shifts considerably later on), but that's not because he's the girl of the relationship but because of his anxiety. And Victor "I used to have really long hair and skated in a costume that suggested both male and female genders" Nikiforov is often coded in feminine ways as well. I'd say they end up equally masculine and feminine in the end, therefore not falling into the "seme-uke" stereotype. The illustration of that is actually the pair skate - in which they switch from male to female roles throughout the routine.

I think you don't understand how seme-uke coding works. It is gendered, but gender is such an all-encompassing force in our and Japan's culture that there are many ways that axis can be drawn. In the case of YOI, the axis is mature/sophisticated/seductive vs. boyish/naive/inexperienced, and that's compatible with the seme being androgynous and having feminine traits.

BlueOla wrote:
Victor's comments are ambiguous? How? How in denial must one be to consider that "ambiguous"? I know that some people prefer to shrug it off as a joke but there's no reason for it to be one and it's very clearly a denial tactic rather than an actual argument since it makes no sense in the context. In fact I'd say that claiming that Victor and Yuuri's relationship is only "implied" is more of a joke. I'll always point to the rings and to Victor's lines regarding them - that's great evidence, it's not my problem if someone wants to deny it. Apart from that there's my favorite scene - the airport scene which is a great depiction of their relationship. That's not how friends act, that's not how a coach and a skater acts - that's how a couple acts. No one can tell me otherwise.

Pichitt sees the rings and says something along the lines of "my good friends got married!", and then Victor says those lines. So it could him just riffing off Pichitt's line as a joke. And yes, it takes some special pleading to not see them as a couple, but that's how Technically Not BL stuff works.

BlueOla wrote:
And nah, I'd say my main argument is that: It's not officially labeled as BL so it's not BL, and you can't really argue with that. And it doesn't have the features that define a BL series so I think it's fair to say that it's not a BL series. Huge surprise here but gay relationship =/= BL.

If all you care about is that it's not officially labeled as BL, then great, knock yourself out. But it's not a generic gay relationship; it doesn't work like what gay Japanese men create for themselves, or like mainstream (non-otaku) Japanese fiction that has gay characters. It works like BL.

BlueOla wrote:
I'm not saying it couldn't have been a BL or that it couldn't have been marketed as a BL - of course it could have, and it could have been done quite easily, just as you mentioned. But it's the fact that it was marketed as a sports anime with a gay romance on the side that makes the whole difference. It's the first of its genre that wasn't afraid to go that far, despite not officially being BL. It's what gives me hope, as a gay individual, that maybe we'll get more well-written gay relationships in non-BL anime which I would so desperately love to see? Especially in such well-made, popular anime? That's why it NOT being BL matters.

Again, if what really matters to you is that it's not labeled as BL, then fine. But the existence of YOI doesn't do much for the visibility or mainstreaming of non-BL-influenced gay fiction. For that, you'd be better off looking at What Did You Eat Yesterday, or even better My Brother's Husband (which is by an actual gay man and gei comi mangaka) or My Lesbian Experience With Lonliness (by an actual lesbian) (seriously, everybody who is interested in actual Japanese gay manga and wants to see more in translation should go buy them!)
MissT

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Maybe, you know, from the actual definition of BL? "Japanese genre of fictional media focusing on romantic or sexual relationships between male characters". In that case, calling yoi a BL does make it less of a sports anime because it implies that it focuses on the romance and not on the sport, which is just not true.

Except that's not what it is at all and this misinformation needs to stop.
ANN has it explained here: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?id=23
Quote:
"Boy's Love (BL) is the usual term used by the Japanese publishing industry to categorize commercial works focusing on male/male relationships marketed at women. These now include not only manga but novels, CDs, games, and anime."

BL is part of demographics / publishing categories. BL is not just about m/m content it's specifically about target audience, in this case women, not unlike shoujo or josei. So I repeat, something being classified as BL does not make it any less of a historical, action or whatever it might be. But we are arguing about semantics here. With that said yoi is targeted towards women, just like BL is. If they had made an anime out of Kinou Nani Tabeta? I would not be sitting here calling it a "BL in everything but name". Because the demographic would have clearly not catered towards fujoshi, unlike yoi.

BlueOla wrote:
Except that yoi isn't called a BL. The only people calling it a BL are you guys - officially the anime is labeled sports and nothing more. So no, it's not "the truth", it's just you forcing your opinions on others. And no, of course they didn't write it with LGBT people in mind, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't present the gay relationship well and respectfully anyway? Which they did do, so what does the target demographic matter?

It matters because I dislike giving creators credit where it's not due. It's like when I'm reading posts thanking Marvel for adding queer representation in the MCU and pointing towards Stucky. Like, no. Don't praise creators for things they have not done or never intended. Especially not Kubo who has made homophobic comments in the past.

BlueOla wrote:
Well, no, the reason it brings negative connotations is because most BL works present some from of rape, dub-con or otherwise questionable sexual behavior as well as painful heteronormativity. I can't think of any of these as positive things and they are related to neither of the reasons you mentioned.

I don't really understand how you can say that most BL are full of rape and dub-con when a large portion of BL doesn't even contain any sexual content at all. Lots of BL barely make it past the kissing stage and it's a bit hard to discern heteronormative seme-uke dynamics from that. Seven Days, for example, has no sexual content, no seme-uke dynamic, no rape/dubcon or anything like that, and it's still a BL.

BlueOla wrote:
Of course the relationship was deliberately done to be vague, those things don't happen "accidentally" but that doesn't make it bait? Bait means that the relationships is at some point denied, which it never was. And no, not every interview. She's also said that the engagement rings are proof that Victor and Yuuri are soulmates (that's her actual wording) and that they had to rethink their plans for the future because Victor and Yuuri can't live without each other. Intentions aside, I think it's past the territory of baiting? And funnily enough, in the commentary for the volume 4 of the DVDs Kubo and a few of the seiyuu are commenting on ep 7 and on their roles live and when the kiss scene comes up, one of them goes "congratulations on your marriage", and Kubo just calmly corrects "not yet, that's still in the future". If that's "bait" then we don't need non-bait.

You do realize that lots of creators say this? That lots of seiyuu's, many who have dedicated fangirls themselves, like to tease about these things? The point is, Kubo/Yamamoto did not confirm the relationship. They left it ambiguous, which is only slightly better than outright denying it, and IMO not worthy of praise.
musouka

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:

Well, no, the reason it brings negative connotations is because most BL works present some from of rape, dub-con or otherwise questionable sexual behavior as well as painful heteronormativity. I can't think of any of these as positive things and they are related to neither of the reasons you mentioned.

Do you even know the five top selling BL manga in Japan right now? How about the top reviewed by readers? You've read every novel on the top twenty list on chiruchiru and can document that the vast majority of the popular ones contain rape because you're just THAT familiar with BL trends? What did you think of the choices for "Kono BL ga Yabai" last year?

I really hate it when people feel totally comfortable pigeonholing an entire genre based on their own limitations in exposure to the material in question. Reading or watching a few BL titles gives you the right to make a personal decision about whether this genre is "your thing"; it does not suddenly make you an expert in the genre at large.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
missts wrote:
It matters because I dislike giving creators credit where it's not due. Don't praise creators for things they have not done or never intended. Especially not Kubo who has made homophobic comments in the past.

Omfg the "homophobic comments" must be one of the most BS arguments I've seen people use. It was one, single comment that she posted in a Tweet SIX YEARS AGO. We don't even know the context of what she was saying. And let me remind you it was six years ago. I probably said something homophobic six years ago AND I'M GAY. You know why? Because tweets someone posted six years ago are no longer representative of the person. Because people change. And I want everyone who hasn't posted something stupid or something they regret on social media to step up. “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” Had Kubo ever said anything problematic in her life? I'd be surprised if she hadn't, being a human being and all. But the funny thing that seems to escape many of the perpetrators of call-out culture: people make mistakes, they say and do ignorant and ugly things, yet amazingly they can also learn, grow, and change. If Kubo has said anything heteronormative or homophobic, she now is ready to create and defend a world in which men love men, or people of any gender identity love whomever they want. Special bonus: she said this about YOI. She's also a fan of John Cameron Mitchell who is gay and his works (which are LGBT themed) which partly inspired YOI. But nah, she's just a homophobe, isn't she?

People deserve credit for changing their views. Not to mention that Yamamoto has presented LGBT themes in her previous works and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of YOI came out of her influence. It was Yamamoto who fought to have the airport scene in YOI and it was both Kubo and Yamamoto that wanted to have a final same-sex pair skate, which they KNOW is a political statement. But no, they had no such intentions and they never did anything did they? Riiight.

missts wrote:
You do realize that lots of creators say this? That lots of seiyuu's, many who have dedicated fangirls themselves, like to tease about these things? The point is, Kubo/Yamamoto did not confirm the relationship. They left it ambiguous, which is only slightly better than outright denying it, and IMO not worthy of praise.

I love this because it proves that no matter what the voice of God says or what happens in the anime, someone will always be there to deny it or trivialize it or turn it on its head to make it sound like a bad thing. They could full-on get married and I bet some people would still complain and act like "it's not real" or whatever. Because yeah, that's beyond the point of "teasing", that could work as a confirmation if you looked at it the right way. And yeah, I'm not saying that I wouldn't have wanted it to be explicit but just because the characters aren't yelling "i love you" in each others' faces every five minutes doesn't make it "not real". And again, why would they go so far in creating something and putting in so many elements if they didn't want it to be gay? I mean surely, you can "bait" your viewers without showing a same-sex engagement? I don't understand how that's not worthy of praise, especially considering how few anime have done this in the past. I think there's a huge difference between keeping something ambiguous (and let's face it - yoi loses most of its ambiguity by ep 12) and outright denying it. But maybe that's just me because I prefer to appreciate the few positive LGBT things we get in anime rather than complaining that it's not enough.
MissT

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
@BlueOla: Of course people change and of course people say dumb things. A lot of people also apologize for dumb things they have said instead of deleting the tweet and pretending it never existed, but hey. I'm not claiming Kubo is a homophobe who hates gay people, I don't think she is that, but she made a homophobic tweet and then tried to sweep it under the rug, which yoi fans are way too defensive about. And c'mon, she looks up to a gay director so she can't be homophobic? Are we using the "I have black friends" argument here now?

Look here. I'm not anti yoi. I'm not against people liking this show or its characters. I'm also not against people feeling represented by this show (even though sadly so few of them seems to actually be japanese). What I am against is yoi fans calling this show the second coming of anime jesus that has done something that no manga or anime has ever dared to do before, because it's not true.

Yoi has done nothing that No.6, Doukyuusei, Sailor Moon, Utena, Evangelion, Cardcaptor Sakura, Shinsekai Yori, Paradise Kiss, Nabari No Ou and Wandering Son haven't already done. Kubo/Yamamoto hasn't done anything Hagio Moto, Yasuko Aoike, Keiko Takemiya, Fumi Yoshinaga, Gengoroh Tagame, Kamatani Yuhki hasn't already done. All of them have done works with LGBT characters in non BL manga predating yoi by years.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
Oh this is a classic, If you're still not updated with the infamous Overcome Chihoko incident that happened during the YOI stage event(that's why it topped tumblr), this is the most official canonical proof that they're officially canon.

I'm still not updated on this. Google only returns fanfics which I don't intend to read and which don't say what happened at the event, and Tumblr is an impenetrable maze to me, so I'm afraid following a discussion there to find out is beyond my limited powers.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
missts wrote:
@BlueOla: Of course people change and of course people say dumb things. A lot of people also apologize for dumb things they have said instead of deleting the tweet and pretending it never existed, but hey. I'm not claiming Kubo is a homophobe who hates gay people, I don't think she is that, but she made a homophobic tweet and then tried to sweep it under the rug, which yoi fans are way too defensive about. And c'mon, she looks up to a gay director so she can't be homophobic? Are we using the "I have black friends" argument here now?

Look here. I'm not anti yoi. I'm not against people liking this show or its characters. I'm also not against people feeling represented by this show (even though sadly so few of them seems to actually be japanese). What I am against is yoi fans calling this show the second coming of anime jesus that has done something that no manga or anime has ever dared to do before, because it's not true.

Yoi has done nothing that No.6, Doukyuusei, Sailor Moon, Utena, Evangelion, Cardcaptor Sakura, Shinsekai Yori, Paradise Kiss, Nabari No Ou and Wandering Son haven't already done. Kubo/Yamamoto hasn't done anything Hagio Moto, Yasuko Aoike, Keiko Takemiya, Fumi Yoshinaga, Gengoroh Tagame, Kamatani Yuhki hasn't already done. All of them have done works with LGBT characters in non BL manga predating yoi by years.

Can you blame her for not wanting to start drama? Especially about a six year old tweet which people should know doesn't represent her anymore? You know very well how people react to that sort of shit, I mean, look at how you're reacting. People would be blaming her for making the tweet in the first place, perhaps even attacking her in private for it. They wouldn't give a shit about the apology. Some Japanese fans on Twitter already harassed her for the tweet around the airing of episode 10, I think enough is enough. Can we blame her for not wanting to be bullied and trying to make sure that no one found out by simply deleting the source of the issue? It's one thing if a normal person makes a mistake - it's something completely different when someone with a large following does the same. Or rather, if an author of a pretty openly gay anime had made a mistake long time ago that people still try to hold them accountable for. I think this is where we should empathize with her instead of blaming her for being a coward or something. Man, I'm sorry she didn't want to compromise everything she achieved over a stupid tweet, I guess it would have been better if she took the "morally better" path and lost everything she worked for, right? There is nothing wrong in wanting to sweep your shameful past under the rug - it shouldn't matter to anyone anyway. It's one thing if she'd killed a person but she just said something stupid. People don't forgive famous people if they said something stupid ages ago. It's better that few people know. It's a pity that she's apparently "morally inferior" but try to understand the woman's position. And can you blame the fans for getting defensive? It's a pretty offensive statement to say "The author of your gay anime is actually homophobic because of something she said half a decade ago". Understandably, people would want to explain the situation.

And no - I'm saying that through looking up to a gay director she probably ended up doing research about the LGBT community and changing her mind. Because people actually do that, and it's not just about the "I have black friends" argument; Sometimes looking up to someone may actually change your worldview. I doubt she would create YOI if she still held homophobic views.

I appreciate that you're not against yoi, and I understand your concern about Japanese gay men not feeling represented by the anime, and I think that a time SHOULD come when that is possible and even common, but if all we get for now is Western audiences feeling represented then that's at least a starting point.

And no, I agree, yoi isn't the second coming of anime Jesus, and it didn't do anything that hasn't been done before. But the reason why it matters and why so many people consider it important is that it's the first practically mainstream anime to do those things, and to make the combination of those things work so well. None of the anime you mentioned gained this sort of popularity and praise for the LGBT aspect alone and none of their works reached so many people. I mean, I'm talking about Evangelion and Sailor Moon and such, but the praise it got usually wasn't regarding the gay aspect, or the praise came years after the animes originally aired.

It's not really about YOI doing something original, but it's about doing things right in the right place, in the right time. We're probably living in the most tolerant times in modern history and in times with the easiest, fastest access to the internet. YOI is a product of these times and it's most likely what caused its popularity and success. But I think that the fact that it was technically the first sports anime to ever go that far into LGBT romance territory (and normalized LGBT romance at that) without labeling itself as BL is important too. I think just like me, it gives people hope for the future. And damn, it was just a well-done anime. I know that fans tend to exaggerate but give them some slack. It's rare that we get such things, and while I know it's annoying, just try to understand where we're coming from.
MissT

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
@BlueOla: Well I'm glad we seem to have reached some form of understanding or middle ground at least. I still don't really agree with everything you've said (and you probably don't agree with everything I've said) but that's fine. This discussion has been going on quite long enough and I think neither of us are probably going to change our opinions on this matter any further. I'd say we might just have to agree to disagree about some things here and move on.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm also going to pull back from this discussion to avoid beating a dead horse, but I just want to say I really appreciate lebrel and missts for engaging with those of us on the other side of the genre-divide: I learned a lot from you two! My personal experience with BL is largely rooted in the doujinshi/yaoi market, and as a result is somewhat cursory, but as a queer person I still have strong feelings about any form of media I come in contact with which touches upon sex and gender as a topic.

BlueOla wrote:
It's what gives me hope, as a gay individual, that maybe we'll get more well-written gay relationships in non-BL anime which I would so desperately love to see? Especially in such well-made, popular anime? That's why it NOT being BL matters.

I'd say this sums up more or less where I presently stand: I think for the presentation of queer issues as part of a discussion queer people can access and own, it's important that this show at least on a creative level delineates itself as consciously separate from BL as a model of storytelling. At the same time, I'm willing to recognize that its actual presence in Japan quite possibly doesn't fulfill that objective. Which is why I said at the very beginning that it occupies a weird place for me (or maybe I occupy a weird place in relation to it). It gives me mixed feelings; nevertheless as a queer person I'm quite accustomed to the ways we compromise with and are compromised by the media that comes our way.

lebrel wrote:
or Loveless is labeled only as fantasy.

Also this stood out to me just because Loveless is a personal favorite of queer-themed manga and it came to mind for me repeatedly as I was considering my perspective, and I kept wanting to ease in something about that interview Yun Kouga did where she rather frankly stated she doesn't consider the series to be yaoi, but her fans do. I realize that could be a whole conversation in and of itself but I just enjoy that the opportunity came up so I took it. Cool
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
nobodyhome wrote:
The first Kizuna oav based on Kazuma Kodaka's work by the same name got dubbed (wanna hear Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh get all hot for a guy?).

In "Kizuna", Mike Sinterniklaas played a character lusting for Dan's character. To put that in perspective, that was Dark Magician lusting after Yugi/Atem. I can't look at my second favorite Duel Monsters card (after Stardust Dragon) the same way again. Heck, Dan Green has been in a porno where he was raping the voice of Dark Magician Girl/4Kids Luffy.
meowneko

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote
To me the answer to that is obvious: Whether appropriate or not, most dubbed anime is going to end up in a kids' channel schedule. All anime that i've seen dubbed has in some way ended up being marketed for kids, whether it's simple stuff like Doreamon and Pokémon all the way to gruesome stuff like Another, with regular stuff like Cardcaptor Sakura, Tokyo Mew Mew, Toradora, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon and so on.

Only exception is Black Lagoon, which brings me to my 2nd point. The more gruesome/sensual, adult-themed anime is also going to end up on TV when dubbed. Now, imagine something like Boku no Pico broadcasting openly on Animax.

No, right?
Gay or not, overly sensual content should be well locked away from the eyes of the general public, yet i agree it should be available on pay-per-view...and dubbed.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
treeofjessie wrote:
Basically i think it's pretty messed up that anything with a queer (in this case, M/M) relationship gets pigeonholed into BL(or Yuri, or whatever), no matter what. Like if Yuri (or Victor) were a woman, I don't feel like anyone would be arguing with me over whether or not YOI is sports anime. And it's really important for real live queers to have access to everything, you dig? All genres. It's important for EVERYBODY, really, but especially queer people. This isn't my only reason, but it's the most important one to me.

Why does this have to be so binary with you? It can be both a BL anime and a sports anime.

If YOI dropped the gay thing for a straight relationship, you could say it is romance. The difference is that BL is rare enough that it stands out so that aspect is going to get mentioned more and can be used as an identifying trait. If I were to say 'oh what was that BL anime from last year?' almost every anime fan would return with YOI. If you replace the BL part, you're going to get a lot of different responses.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
missts wrote:
I'm also not against people feeling represented by this show (even though sadly so few of them seems to actually be japanese).
Maybe it has to do with the fact that this "representation" fetish you guys have is exclusively a Western thing and the Japanese people don't look for validation in cartoons?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't most anime not get dubbed these days anyway? Unless its some surefire hit like the latest shounen, most shows just get simulcasts

Chrysostomus wrote:
Maybe it has to do with the fact that this "representation" fetish you guys have is exclusively a Western thing and the Japanese people don't look for validation in cartoons?

Hey, not all of us care about self identifying as cartoon characters. Can't say I ever did, and I only watch anime, which 99% of the time stars Japanese people, and Im not Japanese and it never bothered me. I was never one of those people whining for more American representation in anime. Likewise, Im not gay, but I enjoyed Yuruyuri which was made by a lesbian Japanese woman.

But yeah 'representation in mediA' is a much bigger deal for Americans than Japanese people. Thats why in Japan nobody cares if the MC is a girl or a guy, but in America the strict rule is 'guy shows have to star guys, and girl shows have to star girls'
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
missts wrote:
I'm also not against people feeling represented by this show (even though sadly so few of them seems to actually be japanese).

From what I hear from actual Japanese people, this is absolutely not the case. They're just as frustrated about it as Westerners. I would say that Japanese gay men don't expect to be validated in BL/BL-leaning stuff, or female-targeted media in general, so their relative lack of commentary on YOI is par for the course; either they put reality aside and enjoy it for what it is or ignore it as just more fujoshi trash.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7