• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the imperial prince isn't giving off evil stank. More like eau de desperation. As to whether abducting Sei would be suicide, I'm not so sure, if only because it was apparently beyond palace security's capability to keep an eye on a prince of a visiting country while he casually ambled into a research institute.

But since the prince and Sei seem to be kindred spirits, the prospect of her kind heart getting her involved in something inadvisable seems the more likely danger.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:33 am Reply with quote
It was kinda confusing that they were all "Sei's a state secret!" and then turned around and said, "They know we have the Saint" and presented her, even veiled, to the Prince. And didn't bother to tell anyone not to mention her by name while the Prince was visiting.

If other kingdoms know they have the Saint, wouldn't they also have some idea of her powers? And if it's just that they're hiding who the Saint is, then a) don't actually present Sei to the Prince (body double anyone?), and b) pretend like she's just another herbalist at the Academy. Much less suspicious.

Also, don't let him wander around unattended. Guard him 24/7, for his safety, of course.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:14 am Reply with quote
Yah, the lack of discipline of those knights who kept forgetting to keep their mouths shut in the institute is pretty shocking from that perspective. Bureacrats are one thing, but those dudes are supposed to be military.

I guess it's Sei's ability to make uber potions that's the state secret? There's a difference between being able to heal somebody on contact and potentially being able to create a stockpile of insta-miracles.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It was kinda confusing that they were all "Sei's a state secret!" and then turned around and said, "They know we have the Saint" and presented her, even veiled, to the Prince. And didn't bother to tell anyone not to mention her by name while the Prince was visiting.

If other kingdoms know they have the Saint, wouldn't they also have some idea of her powers? And if it's just that they're hiding who the Saint is, then a) don't actually present Sei to the Prince (body double anyone?), and b) pretend like she's just another herbalist at the Academy. Much less suspicious.

Also, don't let him wander around unattended. Guard him 24/7, for his safety, of course.

I'm not sure other kingdoms would know what she could do. Primarily based on a likely faulty memory that even her summoners weren't entirely sure what abilities to look for outside of half-mythologized information. And given the nature of rumors and myths, they may just assume that the Saint's power is....well, see the title.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Interesting twist, everyone assumed that the prince was after the saint for her abilities, but he is actually after a skilled alchemist for a particular kind of high grade potion. The prince also seems to have no evil intentions in mind, he simply wishes to cure his mother. If he knew what a saint can actually do, than he would probably be going after Sei. I wonder why there is such unclarity about what a saint can do though. Is it only the kingdom that understand saintly powers, or is Sei just unique?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:57 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Quote:
I wonder why there is such unclarity about what a saint can do though. Is it only the kingdom that understand saintly powers, or is Sei just unique?

At the time of the previous saint, the king destroyed all accounts of the saint's abilities except the most obvious. That is why the diary of a prior saint that Sei was given to read was locked deeply away. It was supposed to be destroyed.

Can anyone explain why Sei is referred to has having black hair when she is shown as having medium dark brown hair? They can do black hair, the sea captain was shown as actually having black hair. It is the same in the novels and manga. They state she has black hair and show dark brown hair in color illustrations.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I can vaguely remember it all again now, thanks. As for the hair, maybe it is meant to be more light black than medium dark brown?

Anyhow, the prince arc was solved(?) this week. With some experimenting, creative thinking and help Sei managed to make a cure all status ailments potion. Whether it actually works remains to be seen though. In the end the prince was not anyone dangerous or evil, just a desperate guy trying to save the only person who has always been there for him.

On a side note, was this episode the first use of saintly magic this season?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Does the author think that apple blossom honey is made from apples? oO While she was growing the tree, I thought, hmm, it's still going to take awhile to get some bees in there to make some honey out of the blossom nectar, but then she kept going until she had fully ripened apples! Oops.

Also, I hope the sea passage was smooth if the prince is going to cradle this precious potion in his arms out on deck the whole time. One errant wave slamming into the ship and it could be potion overboard! (I know, nitpicking, but the lack of other things to get distracted by just encourages it. Smile)

The king did weave a nice story around the gift though. But the prince is pretty sharp, so I think he's got Sei sussed out now.

I don't know if Hawke is super-patient or egocentric, but if my advances and displays of interest were met with the reactions Sei keeps giving him, I'd have to assume I was making them uncomfortable with my unwanted attention and they're just too nice to openly tell me to go away. Half the time she reacts to his presence as if she's afraid of him (I know she supposedly afraid of her own feelings, but since he's not telepathic, it would look to him like she'd rather he leave her alone).
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:14 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Whether it actually works remains to be seen though. In the end the prince was not anyone dangerous or evil, just a desperate guy trying to save the only person who has always been there for him.

Unless the reason the prince's pedigree is problematic is because his mother is a demon queen in exile. Yep, I give it a week for Junior to get home and drop his dewy eyed innocent act. Then mommy ought to be fully healed, and they can embark on their campaign of slaughter and oppression....

(Maybe I shouldn't type before my coffee is ready...)
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:23 am Reply with quote
I'd donate good money for an OVA scene where a wave caused the prince to drop the panacea into the ocean and he had to sigh and turn the ship around..

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't know if Hawke is super-patient or egocentric, but if my advances and displays of interest were met with the reactions Sei keeps giving him, I'd have to assume I was making them uncomfortable with my unwanted attention and they're just too nice to openly tell me to go away.

Wait...you mean Hawke isn't the saint in the title?

(Mind blown)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:01 am Reply with quote
Well, given that the marriage talks are in full progress and the last miasma location is about to be cleared, Sei has to actually make a decision soon. So far she could get away without making one, but time is nearly up. Not getting married or a fake marriage are an option too, but her half hearted approach is not gonna cut it anymore.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:29 am Reply with quote
They don't seem to be concerned about possibly acting against her wishes by expediently marrying her off. The Saint is the one person above all you want to keep happy and thinking favorably of you and the kingdom, seeing as her protective powers derive from her love of this world and its people. Insisting she get married even if she doesn't want to is a really bad move.

Also, Hawke? Pro-tip, boy: when a woman is chatting about something she's clearly interested in, do not interrupt her to tell her how beautiful she is. What she hears is not "Oh wow, he thinks I'm pretty," but rather, "Oh, damn, he wasn't listening to me at all, and was just trying to decide the best line to get into my pants. Don't I feel stupid now."
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
I think that the whole issue is in large part due to Sei being anything but clear. She does not state what she wants or does not want and when pressed always comes with wishy washy answers that make nothing obvious. If she were to state that she does not want to get married it would come to pass since she is a very important person crucial to the country. If she does wish to marry, then for the same reason she can pick who she wants herself, especially since the royal family has her back.

At some point she is going to have to voice what she does or does not want instead of being horribly undecided on everything.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:09 am Reply with quote
Patience young Padawans. Everything will be revealed in due time. Smile
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:41 am Reply with quote
I assume so, but adults who avoid making decisions or even voicing what they want tend to annoy me, especially so if it goes on for a long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9