• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Japanese Accused of Uploading 1,000s of Anime Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
No one ever supports their argument if they're opposing you, Xanas.

I was going to finally lay down the bucks for the Gundam Seed box, but my teen's not going to graduate High School in the normal amount of time unless she goes for a "joint" diploma & does a college class & I find myself putting out $32 for a bus pass for her to get to the college (& I get to buy 2 more-one every month for 3 months), $15 to enroll in the class. & $33 for the book for the class.
Looks like Gundam Seed waits.
Why should starving students have the right to download anime in your book? Just because you believe the copyright laws are wrong, they are still the law.It is still violating the law to download anime.
Why can't they buy their books/pay for college & put off anime for a bit? People do it all the time, don't we?
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I understand the college thing from a personal perspective as well. I couldn't afford any of my books when I went, and I had no car when I went either. That was kind of a pain to the say the least.

You're not being honest when you say "No one ever supports their argument if they're opposing you."

For one thing, I've openly admitted on a few occasions that people have raised valid points here. So it's just false. Secondly, you haven't budged on any of your position either, so you are being hypocritical. If you need me to give examples I"ll post links to specific posts where I admitted that good points were raised or said that I overstated my case. You are way off the mark there. I can't however say the same for you. I can't think of anywhere you have moderated your position or been anything more than the stickler for the rules. If you can find me a post of yours that proves me wrong, I honestly would like to hear it. Until I do, I can't accept this statement coming from you.

Quote:

Why can't they buy their books/pay for college & put off anime for a bit? People do it all the time, don't we?

Sure, they could. But you need to answer for me why they should, when it doesn't help anyone for them to "put it off." The fact "it's the law" holds little meaning for people like me who don't respect "the law" to that degree. Not only that, but I already made the point that for many, if they weren't watching anime for free at this time, a lot would never go on to purchase it at all. They'd find something else to do instead. I suppose you are like Mohawk and somehow think the industry never needs them. (This is weird logic btw, considering if they aren't necessary you basically admit that what they are doing isn't harmful).

Last edited by Xanas on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:
Yes, but its a vicious cycle. If you download one anime, why not another?

Because then you no longer feel you are justified in doing so. You're claiming that because it may lead to a worse kind of downloading it is automatically just as bad. It's only a vicious cycle if you let it be though.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
I see lots of fans make comments they never have AND NEVER WILL pay for their anime.
How is this beneficial to the industry?
What puts them above the law? Their lack of money?
Do you believe most downloaders are downloading in protest of current copyright laws, or because they can get something for free?
These uploaders are violating the law of their land. They don't deserve to be punished?

ikillchicken-
Look at the original article. Had the uploaders stopped at one or 10 eps, they probably wouldn't be in the news. Breaking the law does get easier the more one does it. I have many clients who wouldn't be my clients had they stopped sooner. Back when I worked in a retail store, the jewelry manager commented he had an employee who was stealing from the register, but they couldn't catch him on camera. Had he stopped after one or 2 times, he'd have never been caught. Unfortunately for him he kept it up & got careless so they finally caught him at it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Fixed, also nobody will miss the parasite.

You've never once provided any reasoning for your statements Mohawk. You've only told me what I should do "instead" in your words. You've never once told me why I should do that instead if the net result is the same amount of dollars being paid to the industry. If you care to backup your change to my statement, I'd appreciate it. I doubt I'll get this response, as you seem to prefer rewording what I say (this is not the first time, and it's really childish way to respond).

Seeing as you are doing it again, why should I bother. Go back to every thread that you and I have been in about DLing and fansubs, and you would see I have supported my position time and time again and so have every other member, including industry spokesmen, who have explained why downloading fansubs is bad for the anime industry, and a pattern of you glossing over and completely ignoring what has been said like it never happened appears in a linear graph. So save it mate as nobodies having it.
Quote:
CCSYueh wrote:

Sure, they could. But you need to answer for me why they should,
Because it's the proper thing to do, pure and simple. If you can not understand that , then you are hopeless.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

I see lots of fans make comments they never have AND NEVER WILL pay for their anime.

That's not what I was referring to or what ikillchicken is referring to however. You are shifting the discussion to people we aren't referring to. We are talking specifically about the people who do buy anime or go on to buy anime.

Mohawk52 wrote:

you would see I have supported my position time and time again

Which "position" are you referring to. The position regarding fansubs in general being a negative to sales? I've already admitted this was probably true multiple times. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about your position that fansubs are ALWAYS harmful, and your reference even to people like me as "parasites" despite the fact we do buy anime.

Mohawk52 wrote:

Because it's the proper thing to do, pure and simple. If you can not understand that , then you are hopeless

If this is what your "support" boils down to, your argument is hopeless. A million "because I said so's" doesn't qualify as support.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Hopeless. Just hopeless. Rolling Eyes I never called you personally a parasite, I was speaking generically, but if the shoe fits and all that.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
o.o ...er...what happened to the original topic? I just thought it was the uploading of episodes in JAPAN...

Then again...I guess it can't be too far off topic, since it's distributed as fansubs...

x.x ah, forget it, carry on.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it has anything to do with us if we aren't discussing fansubs, since the raws themselves aren't of use to most of us.

Mohawk, I remember your first response to me in the thread, where you edited my post and said "nobody misses the parasite." If you didn't mean it to refer to me then you weren't even reading the post you decided to edit.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Alright guys, let's try to keep this from becoming personal. Mohawk, if ya don't really have anything to add aside from making accusations then there's really no need to post. If it has devolved to the point the discussion has ceased and there's just accusations and finger pointing going on then leave the thread for those that are willing to discuss the topic or just let it die.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
ikillchicken-
Look at the original article.

Who's talking about the original article? Not me. Sure, if you download once you may be more likely to download again, but to claim just because of that the initial instance is bad is just the same as Axe-336's previous claim I was responding to. Because it may lead to a worse/more downloading doesn't mean the initial act must automatically be just as bad.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Who's talking about the original article? Not me.

Actually ... it's kind of a requirement. If you don't want to talk about the article, then you're in the wrong thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Who's talking about the original article? Not me.

Actually ... it's kind of a requirement. If you don't want to talk about the article, then you're in the wrong thread.

Oh come on. Its pretty clear that nobody is talking about the original article any more. As usual, an article relating to piracy has degenerated into a broad discussion about the various aspects of fansubs. If you don't want that then by all means ask people to stop or lock the topic. Don't single me out and act like it's just me who is going off topic though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6