• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Works to be Streamed Simultaneously with Airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
According to fansubwiki (who are usually quite accurate and up-to-date), only one group intends to sub Druaga, and no-one for Blassreiter. Macross, Vampire Knight, Code Geass R2, and (surprisingly) To Love Ru, seem to have the lion's share of subbers this season.

If Rosario + Vampire can get 3 different sub groups than To Love Ru doubling it is about right. *checks Soul Eater* I expect a lot of groups will jump on the bandwagon for it after a few weeks.
mellowpurple

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
yay, finally!!

I'm really interested in how this will turn out :D
Shouta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:

According to fansubwiki (who are usually quite accurate and up-to-date), only one group intends to sub Druaga, and no-one for Blassreiter. Macross, Vampire Knight, Code Geass R2, and (surprisingly) To Love Ru, seem to have the lion's share of subbers this season.

The Fansubwiki isn't used by everyone and sometimes isn't reported onto until someone releases it. But anyway, there were two groups planning on Druaga months ago (including me) but one dropped it for various reasons. There was likely to be several others that just randomly pick up as it airs so I wouldn't use Fansubwiki as the perfect indicator.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:
Druaga was going to be a MAJOR title in the Spring 08 fansub scene, trust me. It was going to be oversubbed and very popular. They picked a good title to experiment with.

Don't trust those lists. I know of two other groups who were planning on doing Druaga.

-Tofu
Master Lee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
This is indeed an interesting headline article. I'm impressed to see some companies making a move on this concept. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this.

My main concerns about this would be how they intend to profit, what prices would be like, quality of video and sub, downloadable content, and how "user-friendly" the services are.

Unlike in my proposals current incarnation, these companies seem to be aiming at beating fansubbers instead of making them a part of the system. Fansubs will likely never be fully defeated since there will still be people who dislike the offical subs or just want to have subbing in their language. I'm really interested in seeing consumer and fansubber reactions to these projects in the long-term.

I think that once support for more languages gets added to these projects it will help to alleviate a good portion of fansubbing going on. Assuming of course the official subs are of high quality and the services themselves are well recieved by consumsers.

I would like to think that this kind of project can succeed, but I hope it succeeds because it is actually a great service and not just because fans decided to "show their support" for the idea.

On the bright side, if these attempts at streaming distribution are successful... I suppose I can toss my own proposal, here on the forums, under the rug and get back to watching anime, instead of trying to devise a new distribution system for it. Laughing

Spend my two cents as you see fit...

Master Lee
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
SinsI wrote:
Fansubs that are free were never a problem for anime companies(no matter what they say), just like books in libraries are not a problem for publishers.

Yeah, fansubs and library books are even remotely close to the same thing in any sense. . . . Rolling Eyes

(I will not comment on this further only because I don't want to see this thread sidetracked by yet another edition of "Whether Fansubs Are A Problem Or Not.")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
I'm not sure this is a situation of traditional R1 partners having to 'prove' their value, the Japanese anime industry is already heavily dependent on NA income. Even with DVD sales declining, the physical (DVD) licensing model is a 'known', proven commodity, internet ad revenue is not.

That's precisely my point. I am sure the R1 companies would rather want a piece of the ad revenue sharing than let it go to a 3rd party or solely Japanese entities. If the R1 companies want to get a piece of this revenue, they need to prove their value to the Japanese.

If the Japanese felt it would be more profitable to run the R1 DVD sales themselves, they would (and companies like Bandai Visual USA are). That was my point with the "necessary evil" comment.

-Tofu
Master Lee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
While I know the article stated that, for a fee, content could be downloaded.

What happens in the event the download file gets deleted? Are you covered in some way or do you need to re-purchase the product?

I've been looking at the sites and haven't found a clear answer on this issue. Maybe I'm not a very skilled detective, anyone else manage to find a answer on one of the sites?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I am cautiously optimistic about this news. I don't think I will say why so much, since this has been an overwhelmingly positive thread for the most part. I just really hope this works out for the best for them, and not more ammo for the pirates.

Good Luck Gonzo.

Although it's really sleeping with the dogs with CR.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Master Lee wrote:
While I know the article stated that, for a fee, content could be downloaded.

What happens in the event the download file gets deleted? Are you covered in some way or do you need to re-purchase the product?

I've been looking at the sites and haven't found a clear answer on this issue. Maybe I'm not a very skilled detective, anyone else manage to find a answer on one of the sites?

Therein lies the inherent problem with DRM-ridden "legitimized" downloads - a complete lack of flexibility. If the harddrive you store it on craps out, you're back to square one, minus your online expenses.

I seriously hope that FUNi, Bandai and the other R1 companies retract their current stance on the Crunchyroll situation. If they want to keep floating in this potential new model, they have to start getting their libraries streaming.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I think it's important to point out that this isn't some kind of death knell for the R1 industry or anything - people still buy DVDs, people still want dubs, people still want to watch anime in English on TV.

It's not like the DVD market is just going to completely disappear because you can watch Gonzo shows on Youtube. There's a reliable audience that wants DVD product, wants dub product, and doesn't like watching streaming video. It's not a HUGE market, and it's obviously not big enough to sustain the anime industry as it existed for a few years there, but it is there and it's not going to suddenly go away.
Master Lee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Just another thought...

I haven't seen any mention on the sites about how this downloaded content is protected.

With all the peer-to-peer services in this day and age I'm wondering what steps they've taken to prevent a single person from purchasing the products and then just sharing them worldwide.
zalas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm still wondering what kind of a deal crunchyroll made with GONZO to get this to happen... Did they drop like a million bucks on their doorstep, or did they promise to give them a chunk of the ad revenue or both?

Furthermore, will these titles ever see a R1 release, or will the release be R2J only with English subtitles at R2J prices?
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Goodpenguin wrote:
I'm not sure this is a situation of traditional R1 partners having to 'prove' their value, the Japanese anime industry is already heavily dependent on NA income. Even with DVD sales declining, the physical (DVD) licensing model is a 'known', proven commodity, internet ad revenue is not.

That's precisely my point. I am sure the R1 companies would rather want a piece of the ad revenue sharing than let it go to a 3rd party or solely Japanese entities. If the R1 companies want to get a piece of this revenue, they need to prove their value to the Japanese.

If the Japanese felt it would be more profitable to run the R1 DVD sales themselves, they would (and companies like Bandai Visual USA are). That was my point with the "necessary evil" comment.

-Tofu

In general, the goals of licensee's and licensor's aren't always the same so I see what your after, but I'm still a little fuzzy on what you mean by R1 licensor's 'proving themselves'. In regards to anime related internet ad-revenue models, fairly nobody's 'proved the concept' yet, and the only reason R1 licensor's haven't rolled out a 'Crunchyroll' of their own is because Japanese licensee' haven't let them, so I don't think that can be held against them.

Overall, if it turns out Kadokawa management is simply dazzled by Goggles bankroll, and Gonzo's motivation is getting a MMO-tied property as much exposure as possible through existing channels, then it's probable both situations represent early 'special cases' rather then what digital distribution will look like in the future. At face value, handling digital distribution through current R1 physical (DVD) distribution partners seems to provide a lot more benefits for licensee's then going through a third-party provider. It gives the industry semi-direct control over the delivery method, maintains the value of physical distribution end, and entails a sense of 'partnership' between licensee's and licensor's. Splitting distribution between NA internet/stream providers and DVD sellers potentially cannibalizes the latter, which isn't in the licensee's interests.

Again, not necessarily of a different mindset then you, I'm just not clear on what you imply/entail with 'R1 proving themselves'.

Pepperidge wrote:
Quote:
I seriously hope that FUNi, Bandai and the other R1 companies retract their current stance on the Crunchyroll situation. If they want to keep floating in this potential new model, they have to start getting their libraries streaming.

In fairness Funi, Bandai, etc., already have their libraries streamed all over the internet with no economic boost to them, and this 'new model' hasn't 'floated' any revenue back to the industry yet. I think the internet ad-revenue concept is going to have to be proven/tested/incorporated a good bit before companies start tossing their catalogs at it.
[/code]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
This is surprising news, and hopefully a big step in the right direction. Cause right now there needs to be one and fast.

I've been reading so much stuff between ANN and the article in this month's [Apr. 08] PIQ; that it was just starting to make me upset. I don't want to see anime fade back to the shadows. I want to see a better way to promote it so that more good stuff can be made and more favorite shows can be owned.

More than likely other fansub groups are going to want to jump on this bandwagon. It may help create better ethics. Now the other problem is what will they do with other sites that aren't involved. I wonder what will happen to the bittorrent sites?

Well, it's still too early and I'm thinking too far ahead. I really hope this works out. Gonzo seems to be laying out the steps so hopefully other companies can take it from there.

Good news to hear at 6:30am when I first woke up this morning. Now it's afternoon. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9