• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-03-28]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Prodigiosus wrote:
...and some movie about these kids who were trapped either in a school or in a town and the whole place was sitting on the back of a turtle that was flying through space. To this day I can still hear that girls voice calling out "darling" every twenty seconds of the movie, but I can't remember the title of it.

The movie was Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer. It's an excellent film from Mamoru Oshii.

For American animation, I'll put pre-1950s Warner Bros shorts up against anything else in the world. I love that stuff. On the other hand, I don't follow any US comics because I'm not into the super heroe genre that much, and I hate those flimsly little books (admittedly, there aren't a lot of manga I follow either though).

I'm having trouble thinking of any closing themes that really stand out in my mind other than Konata trying to sing Monky Magic in Lucky Star.
petran79

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I dont have a problem with US animation. I dont say American to avoid confusion because there is also marvelous animation from Canada (The Raccoons were one of my favourite childhood series)

I think the contempt towards US animation stems from the fact of the influence of Walt Disney formula in the animation of almost every country for quite some time (even Japans). This was good and bad and the same time. Good because it helped animation a great deal, bad because the formula became stagnant and repeated and soon there were better alternatives. Eg. the author of the book Winnie the Pooh admitted that the Russian animated version was much closer to the book than the Disney version.

Every viewer not delved into animation, immediately thinks of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse whenever he hears the word "cartoon".
The main reason animation is regarded as childish.

Even today in many aspects of US animation the Disney formula still rules, emphasizing mainly the commercial and manipulating aspects towards the younger viewers and where usually millions of $ are involved. I admit though that Disney had some great TV cartoons during the 80s and early 90s and also some movies till the early 90s

So perhaps from there comes the contempt for US animation. But it would be better to watch something for what it is and not to compare it with other films. That is why I find it ridiculous to compare CGI with 2D and claim that usually the former is better than the latter.

As for me I prefer the neglected or unpromoted titles instead of titles surrounded by all the hype, since usually they're better.

Titles like Fritz the Cat (probably the best of R.Bakshi's work) or some works of Bill Plympton are unsurpassed and unique. Works of UPA too were very artistic and influential

It is just that those features are neglected even in the US.

As for my introduction to anime, there were the well known series in Europe that were co-productions or collaborations between Europe and Japan or were supported by European broadcasters (eg most of the WMT). Also some other Euro-Japanese classics like Mysterious Cities of Gold, Moomins, Ulysses 31, Calimero etc
The public TV broadcasters broadcasted some of the best series a TV distributor could offer and they were for the whole family. It was basically anime meant for foreign distribution.
There were also the sci-fi classics like Matsumoto's work, Tezuka's trademark series, Robotech, Yamato, shoujo like Candy, Sandybelle, Flower Angel, Lalabelle etc

There were some more mature titles on VHS (eg Locke the Superman) that left me shocked as a kid.

with so many good series on TV who needed fansubs back then?

So that is why I do not miss the newer anime series that much since I was fortunate concerning children's TV. In fact I spent a lot of time rewatching those series instead of the newer ones and most of them are classics.

as for my favourite ED:

since I started with raccoons:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wkJlIcunlnU&feature=related
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:

As far as American animation goes, the last shows that I really loved were Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans, and Danny Phantom. Now that those are gone, there isn't anything that holds my interest. Why is it that the good shows are always the ones that get cancelled?

It's because the ratings don't sustain or the production crew themselves decide to end it.

As for Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, its an acquired taste. Personally, I didn't like the show at first, but I saw a couple episodes from the second season and they were pretty funny.
the_ferret

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(Yes, youngsters, GB actually had a cartoon series for a couple of years. . . come on now, who else in their 30s can still remember the theme song? "Gummi Bears/bouncing here and there and everywhere/I'll bet you they're beyond compare/they are the Gummi Bears!")

Dashing and daring, courageous and caring.

It's one of the best TV themes ever. There used to be a website, still might be up for all I know, that had it in like every language and an acapella version. They're all in my iTunes.

Duck Tales theme rocked too.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
The ending of RahXephon always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, so soothing to the nerves.

And ifspoiler[ this one] doesn't have you in a puddle of tears, you have no human heart. SPOILER ALERT If you haven't seen Chrono Crusade don't watch the above, watch this one instead.

The ending of Noir was yet another soothing tune as well.

Also who could forget Last Exile ?

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
infinitebeauty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anytime someone tries to get uppity about manga over American comic books, I just point to things like the production values on Marvel Comics' Unlimited lines. The use of color just blows away anything Japan has ever produced. Few manga-ka could match the best work of writers like Chris Claremont and Alan Moore, either. (I'll put X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills or The Watchmen up against any manga volume/series ever printed.)

There are some truly fantastic American comics out there. There are some truly fantastic manga out there. Which is why it is so annoying when people say that one way is immediately better than the other.
And yeah, Watchmen is the greatest thing ever. Very Happy
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
For me, if I want to watch drama, fantasy, sci-fi, romance, etc, I'll watch anime. If I want to have a good laugh, I'll watch American animation.

I admit that I laugh far more during an American cartoon then during a Japanese one. Even if they sometimes use puerile jokes, Americans seem to have the upper hand when it comes to animated comedy. British productions such as Monkey Dust are also worthy of mentioning.

However, I have yet to find a non-Japanese animation with a plotline or characters that truly engaged me without resorting to comedy. Raymond Briggs’ When The Wind Blows could have been an exception to this had there been more to it than bleakness.

Since I speak no Japanese I may be unaware of any clichéd or poorly delivered lines when I'm watching anime. More easily identifiable flaws such as plot holes I will tend to overlook in my favourite anime as well, even if similar flaws in other productions would lower my opinion of them. In this respect I am elitist, but since I’ve become emotionally attached to so many anime, being biased is something I cannot really avoid doing. Les Triplettes de Belleville is considered a masterpiece by some, but I simply couldn’t draw myself into the film as much as more impartial viewers. I’m not on the best of terms with some of the francophiles I know as a result.

It’s true that Japan produces a lot of uninspiring and soulless animation, but I’ve shed so many tears over quality Japanese productions that I'm probably not going to lose my bias any time soon.

infinitebeauty wrote:
And yeah, Watchmen is the greatest thing ever.

Warner Brothers could easily change that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
mirichan wrote:
CCS is still (and will probably stay forever) my feel-good series. Hard to not feel better after watching a few episodes of it...
(and the atrocious English version shown on English Teletoon should have been thrown into the ocean... that was NOT the same series, at all.)

Yeah, I had gotten some of the subbed VHS when Teletoon was airing the dubbed version..... I actually like all three versions, as Teletoon's version of the dub did include most of the other episodes the Kids WB version didn't, in addition to alternate edits of the ultra-edited episodes [ie- the first ep of CCS....the Canadian edit was ooooodddles better]. But yeah, watching it in french or japanese really is quite different.

[now that I think about it, the Australian version used a dubbed version of the japanese op, so that makes 3 different "versions" of the english dub of CCS floating around the world, and 5 in total distributed by Nelvana with the Japanese and French editions thrown in 0_o]
Mid-Boss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
LordPrometheus wrote:

As far as American animation goes, the last shows that I really loved were Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans, and Danny Phantom. Now that those are gone, there isn't anything that holds my interest. Why is it that the good shows are always the ones that get cancelled?

It's because the ratings don't sustain or the production crew themselves decide to end it.

The network could also decide to stop ordering new episodes. It could have great ratings and the team is willing to make more, but if the network doesn't want them the show ends.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Warner Brothers could easily change that.

Are they going to rip pages out of every copy or burn it or something?

The notion that an adaptation "ruins" the original is a really kind of dumb internet nerd meme that is very tiresome.
Celes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Hi Abby, if you're out there- The Little Mermaid was my first anime too! I can't believe someone else remembered it!!!

After that, it was Saban's Fairy Tales, and then Pokemon and Sailor Moon...ah, the halcyon days of youth...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing about anime OP/ED's is that I just can't choose a favourite opening, and I have a hard time even narrowing down a list to around a dozen, but I do have a single all-time favourite ending sequence:

"Kanashii Heart wa Moete Iru Wa" ("My Sad Heart is Burning"), the second ending sequence from the Kimagure Orange Road, primarily for the unique chalkboard animation, and the song itself kind of reminds me of the Eurythmics in a good way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
krpalmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of "North American anime fans showing contempt for American animation," while I suppose I've picked this up "second-hand," I've long had the impression that in the very first days of anime fandom over here (1985~1995), there was a certain amount of looking down on Saturday morning cartoons and such... the ever-popular "nobody ever gets killed in G.I. Joe, but as for Robotech..." argument and the like. I've also suspected that the great foofaraw raised about "The Lion King is ripping off 'Kimba!'" may have made some anime fans hostile to Disney. Of course, I can also suppose that overblown claims were made for anime in the process, and as Zac said in the first place, the two kinds of productions simply often do different things.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
While it is admittedly not fair (even if ONLY for budgetary reasons) I think this is the best anime ending sequence ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpekvYoOcW8
(and I'm not even a big fan of the studio)

As for the "anime fans hating American animation", I think a majority of people who got into anime "back in the day" were animation fans first, and became anime fans because at the time it offered a MUCH wider range of animated material. (until the mid 90s, animation was basically Disney, Warner Bros cartoons and Saturday morning fare (plus the Simpsons))

The majority (but not all) of todays anime fans are more into it for the weaboo "culture" rather than the animation. So it's no surprise that they shun non-Japanese animation. Heck, many of them shun a good chunk of anime too, they're here for the fad, not for the "impressive visuals" or "amazing storytelling".
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
The funny thing about anime OP/ED's is that I just can't choose a favourite opening, and I have a hard time even narrowing down a list to around a dozen,

So True!

And the matter is further complicated as some really bad anime have some stellar ED/OP.

I would have to go by some standby's for me, or at least some that always pop into my head.

Outlaw Star ED 1, ED 2
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi Ed, couldn't find one with english lyrics, you really should read along for full effect.
Stellvia ED1, ED 2
Zone of the Enders ED
Steel Angel Kurumi OP
R.O.D. The TV OP
Haibane Renmei OP, I believe this was already mentioned, but it's worth mentioning again.
Someday's Dreamers OP

And some more recent ones.
Le Chevalier D'eon ED
Ergo Proxy ED
Paradise Kiss OP, ED
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8