• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation licenses Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Dark horse do manga, not anime.
Naiomi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Yep, but Tokyopop does Anime and Manga.
Blood_rein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Dark horse do manga, not anime.

oh right forgot. Thank you for your correction. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Like I said before, you all should be grateful FUNimation licensed it. It could've been U.S. Manga Corps.
Naiomi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Hey, manga corps did Yami No matsuei (descendants of Darkness) and didn't edit anything out. They are okay in my books.

They also had that slightly yaoi inclined fun facts part of the video.
Zekryn0

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Save Fullmetal Alchemist from reaching Cartoon Network..

Come on guys, we have to stop it! They will screw FMA so bad it wont be funny! I made a Petition to stop it, but I need signatures and lots of it! Please sign it and pass on to your friends! It's up to us!

http://www.petitiononline.com/SAVEFMA/petition.html
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Rest assured that, come October, I, for one, will certainly not be watching Full Metal Alchemist on Cartoon Network. That's an ironclad guarantee...

...since Cartoon Network is banned in Canada and I haven't visited the United States in over a decade, nor do I know anyone who subscribes to an American satellite TV provider illegally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
michelleyk

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:11 pm Reply with quote
You know its the Opportunity we should be happy for. So its not "insert your favorite studio here" that licensed it. It's OK. Cartoon Network is not the evil empire folks, and the sub will be left intact. And there are other options. Don't watch. Don't Care. I love FMA, and am thrilled that Anyone picked it up. I know we have the die-hard dub fans out there, who are worried about how it will be treated, but to be honest, haven't we all be watching it on 14 inch computer screens either raw or digisubbed? So we get a better quality sub (Funi does a good job on subs, folks -- even if the didgisub group I get FMA from does a great job in and of itself), and a dub that we're so-so about. You've already been watching it subbed, right? Just consider it a really long break between episodes.

And as Tenchi from Montreal so strikingly reminded us, some people don't even get the option of choosing what and when they get to see their favorite shows. Governmental censorship of incoming media sources is definitely a larger concern than the treatment of an anime, even if it is one of the best. Rolling Eyes
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Naiomi wrote:
Hey, manga corps did Yami No matsuei (descendants of Darkness) and didn't edit anything out.

How's this for a shocking revelation: FUNimation didn't edit anything out of Lupin, Kiddy Grade, Tenchi GXP, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball GT, Fruits Basket, Blue Gender, or any of their other acquisitions. In fact, with DBZ they're going back and adding removed footage to the episodes that Saban took the industrial-grade scissors to.

You're about five years late for the complaining about FUNi. Welcome to 2004, where they're actually a decent, respectable company that does a good job.

Zekryn0 wrote:
Come on guys, we have to stop it! They will screw FMA so bad it wont be funny! I made a Petition to stop it, but I need signatures and lots of it! Please sign it and pass on to your friends! It's up to us!

Where is your proof that FUNimation will harm Full Metal Alchemist's? Tell me just how FUNimation is going to mangle the show beyond all recognition. Mind you, they have yet to do that without offering an uncut alternative, so I think you're in for one hell of an uphill struggle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Naiomi wrote:
Hey, manga corps did Yami No matsuei (descendants of Darkness) and didn't edit anything out. They are okay in my books.

They also did Arslan senki, and screwed up the dub so much it was almost a different story. They actually changed characters' lines about their motivation, and added totally pointless and stupid story elements... for example, they gave one of the characters a little brother he never had, and they killed off (in narration) a character who actually comes back later. Oops. (At least they got stuff right in the sub...)

Anyway, I don't care about how Funimation (or anyone) screws up or doesn't screw up the dub, as long as they get the sub right and don't edit the subbed version.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Zekryn0 wrote:
Save Fullmetal Alchemist from reaching Cartoon Network..

http://www.petitiononline.com/SAVEFMA/petition.html

This is just so wrong.

1) Online Petitions aren't worth the paper they are printed on. skuld.animenewsnetwork.com/show.php?text=15#petition

2) Why will they screw FMA when they haven't screwed the majority of previous shows?

3) If you don't like the TV version, you canalways buy the DVD which should be completely unedited.*

* I whole heartedly agree with complaints against companies that completely massacre a TV version. Anime my not be literature, but it does have some artisitic / literary merit and as such deserves to be treated with some respect. But minor edits are unavoidable, so as long as the TV edits are minor and the DVDs are un-edited I see no reason to complain.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Right there with you Tempest. This is exactly why I don't take any issue with Funimation... personally I'm glad they've taken strides to step out of the box they used to be in... there are just too many blind people who seem to think otherwise.

Now 4kids... well, I wouldn't mind it if they would take the time to investigate the market a bit further and find a way to profitably release unedited subbed stuff as well, but they are such a niche of a niche market to begin with, that it's almost not worth thinking about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fandrez

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I like FUNi dubs. I've been told that they have only really change the songs in the Dragon balls. All the other dubs they've done have been fine. Plus, they will still have an UNCUT version of the series even if they do cut it.
Naiomi

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Fandrez wrote:
I like FUNi dubs. I've been told that they have only really change the songs in the Dragon balls. All the other dubs they've done have been fine. Plus, they will still have an UNCUT version of the series even if they do cut it.

Yeah, and they also edited out all the blood in the series X-X
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Naiomi wrote:
Yeah, and they also edited out all the blood in the series X-X

For the TV run. What you got on DVD was the pure, unaltered form of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8