• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Wait, let me get this right {fan of the Kuroneko episodes of the first season, never bothered with the second}:

spoiler[Kyousuke dumped all the other girls, pretty much in the presence of Kirino, only to not end up in a relationship with her after getting "married"?]

There are so many problems with this, I don't know if I can begin. Oh yes. They thought this was special enough for its own premier showing? They thought it was well plotted and "daring"? They thought people would shower accolades upon them for its incisive satire?

I've previously defend this work as it was a satire on the bro-sis incest stuff as she's not that cute. spoiler[It would be one thing to go and do a full Koi Kaze on the plot but since they didn't have the guts to do that with any conviction on either bro-sis couple, it's just spineless.]

"What do you the audience think?"
I think you're hacks?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I told you people this was an awful show. I told you.

Anyone who didn't think that this show was the very bottom of otaku-pandering trash was deluding themselves endlessly.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
No, the show isn't awful. The ending, however...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
The show is literally nothing but forced dwama and the author screwing every other character over in order to support his literally incesteous OTP.

It's bad.

It's REAL bad.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Incest is wincest my dudes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The show is literally nothing but forced dwama and the author screwing every other character over in order to support his literally incesteous OTP.

It's bad.

It's REAL bad.

Again, that's just the ending. What came before it was still fine.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

It's bad.

It's REAL bad.

You're blowing things a bit out of proportion here. The revelation for the final light novel volume and OVAs was the weakest part of what was otherwise a decent series focused on Kirino and Kyosuke's chemistry, plus their interactions with friends both normal and otaku-related. As discussed, the finale didn't have much in the way of build up or exploration covering why the siblings would think of each other that way, hence the fan controversy it received from the light novel release. Beyond this, the overall series is still solid with some occasional bumps in quality coming from heavy focus on Kirino's otaku fandom and her character getting a little too obnoxious for her own good. Is it the best overall series I've seen in recent years? No, but it offers enough to make it stick out and not be generic tripe oriented entirely for the otaku crowd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
OVAs 1-3 (finale):

Finished watching these earlier on CR and whoa, spoiler[poor Kuroneko ;.; I feel sorry for her honestly but I suppose she is moving on now. And with that, I can't believe Kyousuke actually proposed]. Ahh....

I think Kirino fans will be happy to know that she and spoiler[Kyousuke did marry in the final episode. Oh and the cat fight, don't forget the cat fight between Kirino/Manami,] rawr.

I'll rate these ovas as decent I guess, kinda predictable though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
I loved the way this show told stories, but that can't always compensate for when the actual content of the stories is incredibly dumb.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
The ending surprised me. I wasn't expecting them spoiler[to become normal siblings after having their fun time till they graduated. I was expecting them to run away to America or something and actually get married.] Also how did Minami's wounds disappear?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote

I will say one thing this ending will be talked about for a long time. If i honestly had to rate oreimo s2 right now while half drunk i'd give i 6.5/10. The first to middle half was great for me however the latter half was not and that sadly brings down the score.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 14

I was ok with the first one of Kyousuke spoiler[turning Ayase down. But the second one], I was hell lucky that I was partially prepared from general attitude of people that knew, as it was just too much. He totally spoiler[destroyed Ruri (he used her name by the way), he told her that his feelings were not for her, and then she destroyed her notebook, cursing him and anyone else in a loving relationship]. Even spoiler[Kamineko turned black].

And after a spoiler[date with his sister, he finally confessed to Kirino, and after shouting hpw stupid it is she accepted it. Mariage! Well at least Ruri got some revenge with replaying back his embarrassing feelings he has for his sister in the middle of a crowd, well he said it too afterwards]. Oh man, if this is the first, I shudder at what might come next.

Season 2, Episode 15

So much spoiler[lovey dovey] crap, I feel, ehhh. There was an interesting bit where Kirino and Ruri spoiler[battled each other like the OP often showed them doing, it seemed to have a bit of self depreciation in that they mentioned the trend of delusioned characters lately, and copying, while Ruri seemed look very similar to Accel World or Chuunibyou]. And then he goes to one of spoiler[Kanako’s concerts and she confesses to him, crap. Of course he refuses, yet another] one lets down.

And then he spoiler[awakes one day to find Kirino in his bed, of course the I am shouting “Kick her out of bed”] in my head, what with spoiler[her panties slightly showing] like a certain scene early in the series. Well his first spoiler[bad touch was to his sister, and she tries to get him to have her stuff she can no longer fit, lastly showing him that she had liked him for quite some time and left messages to keep her feelings going]. It is spoiler[all kinds of creepy], but the show has said it couple of times rather than just spoiler[sweet, although it does try to say that too]. Where is Manami?

Season 2, Episode 16

So withspoiler[ graduation we find that Sena is dating Makabe, and he happens to be a closet pervert]. Anyway after spoiler[gradutation, Kyousuke goes with Kirino and Manami to “fight”, of course they mean talk it out. Nope, they start having a literal fist fight, Manami acts surprisingly different from what we might have thought. The fight got] pretty heavy, and emotional when spoiler[Maname how the relationship was disgusting (which really it did feel that way), how she will tell his parents (which she should), but still Kyousuke rejected it for the “true sister route”.]

So continuing on with the spoiler[sick relationship, the two siblings then do a fake wedding], my stomach feeling sick as prophesised by how I actually had abdominal pain when watching episode 14. And after they spoiler[kissed, they stopped, and revealed that they planned to take their relationship to the wedding bit and break it off then], not too unlike some sort of eroge. I am very happy that they decided to spoiler[end it there, but still Kyousuke turned down lots of girls, and it is unlikely they still like him like they did].

The end result seems that this series was actually about spoiler[two siblings that love each other, doing what they can to show those feelings, but eventually they eventually followed the rules of reality and continued on]. A messy story, but sometimes things just end up like that. In a last ditch I convince myself that spoiler[they can find proper lovers, maybe Ruri will take him back as she once said what she would not be too against Kirino and Kyousuke liking each other, although I sense a lot of grief from her], I pray she can find happiness (that sounds stupid). When is the spinoff set? But also, why did they decide to mention a new girl joining the otaku girls group, could be foreshadowing something that we will never see?

I rate the series as Good, that is based off emotional reactions of the last few episodes, it would be bad not to include those feelings. The beginning of this season was Masterpiece by halfway, but sh!t happens. Well it was brave.
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
kirino getting spoiler[punched in the gut] love it, absolutely loved it. don't dislike her as much as other people, but she deserved it.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote
I think the line that sums my feelings up best is spoiler["If it makes you smile at least once, I'll be happy."]

Yes, I'm angry that my ship was sunk. I'm kinda disappointed that the ship we were given was also spoiler[sunk.] But it did what Fushimi set out to do. It told a story of two siblings repairing a broken relationship in a sorta of twisted, unwieldy and terribly realistic, albeit warped, way.

I'm reading the far superior novels and really wish they'd taken more care with this show, but I understand that they couldn't do everything right. All adaptations are like that, but....

I still want more Kuroneko. Does anyone know what Fushimi is writing now? I'd be interested in more of his works.

(Corrected Fushimi's sex. Tsukasa is such a feminine name!)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
You know what. A few hour later I think that I am still numb from the part Episode 14 S2 where he spoiler[rejected Ruri, that I was just too affected to enjoy the ride, or consider Kirino and Kyousuke dating a good thing. I am not as into wanting a true incest end as I have read elsewhere], so I think I am somewhat happy with how it ended.

But I don't quite have enough closure to be truly happy. And it saddens me that might never happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 52 of 56