• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Unveils Swimming Team TV Anime Free! for July

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
I think it's way too early to determine if it will succeed or not.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I think it's way too early to determine if it will succeed or not.

Of course no one knows this. No one is saying it will 100% succeed.

But there are people on here who seem hell bent on trying to prove it won't.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

So you are spending all your time looking up Japanese fan art for a series you are not interested in Rolling Eyes

Exactly. Laughing And I check pixiv and I did see western fans but I didn't see a lot of em. Besides, it's only been a week.

And I have seen Japanese fan art for the show. The show hasn't even started yet and you are trying to say the Japanese fans aren't interested.

Please do not be ridiculous.

This is also what I wanted to say. The show hasn't even started yet and in just one week it already has 17k followers on the official twitter. And yes, I DID check and almost all of them are japanese followers. Rolling Eyes
musouka

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Then where is all the Japanese fanart? The Japanese fan art websites like Pixiv are pretty much dominated by Western fan art of it.

Not really.

Let me put something in perspective for you. Free already has more than 200 pieces of artwork on pixiv, with even the "western" art you're decrying getting a high amount of bookmarks. This is for a series that is airing in three months.

Hataraku Maou-sama, which is one of the more popular shows this season, only has a little more than 600 pieces of artwork. It's already been airing for four weeks.

I don't really know what you're expecting, but most people don't make fanart based on a commercial and a single PV. Yet they're doing it for Free.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

I deliberately left out Shounen Jump properties, even though it's obvious when women are supporting them (TeniPuri, Gintama, Kuroko, ect) because the point I was trying to make was media aimed directly at women, not as a byproduct. Black Butler might be considered an iffy case by some on a technicality, but let's be reasonable here.

I also left out stuff like Fafner, even though the only people that care about that series anymore are fangirls. Reports of the movie screenings kept mentioning something like a 90% female audience, but that series is pretty murky so out it went.

I came back to this thread after thinking about it, and there are really two issues that should be clarified.

I think when we think about anime targeting women we inherently think about certain kinds of elements/tropes. But in reality that has only a dubious effect in terms of sales and who it sells to. It's not a direct correlation. The fact that, say, Eden of the East movie is on the list or that Gintama isn't probably doesn't mean anything, but it's pretty easy to say that both series target women. It's just that we can debate and reasonably disagree as to how much those series target everyone else.

Second, who cares? I mean does it matter if a woman buys a show that is "intended" for women? Does it matter if said woman considers herself as a fujoshi or not? Or for that matter, guys buy Hetalia (and Black Butler and Eden of the East and Honey & Clover and etc) too, and does that matter? I don't think any of that matters to make your point, but we need to be careful about this very important fact.

Looking at your list I think we need just to be aware of this. For the same reasons you might exclude OP or Gintama, the same can be said about some of these other shows.

For what it's worth maybe FREE sales will be full of angry 4chan people posting images of broken Blu-ray discs. I don't think Kyoani will have any real problems with that.

At least that's where my POV is. If a company panders to a market segment, it's always a risk. That is both partly why shows like FREE's marketing is a relatively new thing and why companies are now expanding into this market segment (since the risk-vs-reward of other types of pandering has lowered).

TitanXL wrote:
There's usually some reports like the ones RyanSaotome posted. Though really all you truly need is just common sense when you look at series like Gintama, Hunter x Hunter, and Kuroko and see all the underage pretty boys in them. Then you look at the doujin market and what's being produced. If something like Inazuma Eleven which has over 8000 different doujinshi for it out there, and 95%+ of them are BL/yaoi stuff, then it should be a good indicator of how big it is with a certain gender.

This is not a good way. It is a way, just not good enough.

RyanSaotome wrote:
60,580 - Nisemonogatari - Men
45,804 - Fate/Zero Second Season - Men/Women
37,259 - Sword Art Online - Men
30,924 - Girls und Panzer - Men
24,403 - Kuroko no Basuke - Women
21,974 - Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken - Men
20,724 - Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II - Men
15,013 - Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Men
11,233 - To Love-Ru Darkness - Men
10,893 - Little Busters! - Men
10,706 - Magi - Women
10,622 - Inu x Boku SS - Men/Women
10,580 - Gintama' Enchousen - Men/Women
10,076 - Initial D Fifth Stage (no idea, I'd assume Men though)

Theres only 2 shows among the 10k sellers last season I'd say the main buyers were women.

Given where the Manabi line is where it is (and the problems with that, but anyway), I don't really think it matters that much. If 30% of Initial D Fifth Stage buyers were women then that means it's possible to make some very niche anime that targets them and make a living doing it. Although the hardest thing is to figure out why people buy anime and somehow make a show that appeal to those people, and it's true no matter the gender.

Maybe a better observation is that when you limit the scope of the appeal, it's kind of a tacit acknowledgment of the size of the segment (eg., it's assumed enough women will buy an anime that appeals only to women.)

Second, somehow you have numbers or ways to figure out which series is sold more to men or women? Or are you just pulling it out of the air like everyone else? Because this is a good example of "not a good way."
musouka

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:

Second, who cares? I mean does it matter if a woman buys a show that is "intended" for women? Does it matter if said woman considers herself as a fujoshi or not? Or for that matter, guys buy Hetalia (and Black Butler and Eden of the East and Honey & Clover and etc) too, and does that matter? I don't think any of that matters to make your point, but we need to be careful about this very important fact.

I'm fully aware that my list has massive problems and is definitely subjective to a certain degree--I also left off most shoujo anime aimed at little girls, for example. But in order to make the list in the first place, you sort of have to do that.

Like, Fafner. I know it has a strong female fanbase--I'm one of them--but I have no way of knowing the ratio of male to female. Fafner sold pretty well, well enough to get another series coming up after the movie, but it can't be laid at the doorstep of one gender or another. (That's a GOOD thing, btw)

Just like I'm absolutely positive women bought Madoka as well, and I know men are likely responsible for the continuation of the MariMite anime.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Second, somehow you have numbers or ways to figure out which series is sold more to men or women? Or are you just pulling it out of the air like everyone else? Because this is a good example of "not a good way."

Best way is the ratio of DVD to BD sales. Women are very heavy DVD buyers, so anytime a show has more DVD than BD sales its a good bet its mainly bought by women.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Best way is the ratio of DVD to BD sales. Women are very heavy DVD buyers, so anytime a show has more DVD than BD sales its a good bet its mainly bought by women.

Not always the case. T&B had pretty crappy DVD sales, because all the fangirls wanted the LE blurays with the drama CDs.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Not always the case. T&B had pretty crappy DVD sales, because all the fangirls wanted the LE blurays with the drama CDs.

While it may not always be the case 100% of the time, its a good enough indicator.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=2010464&postcount=16

Check out the shows from 2012 that had around 50% or more DVD sales:

24,402 - Kuroko no Basuke (Spring, 9 vols) 13,498 DVD (56%) / 10,905 BD (45%)
10,622 - Inu x Boku SS (Winter, 7 vols) 5,246 DVD (50%) / 5,376 BD (51%)
*9,426 - Magi (Fall, 10 vols) 5,967 DVD (64%) / 3,459 BD (37%)
*7,181 - Shin Tennis no Ouji-sama (Winter, 7 vols) 5,797 DVD (81%) / 1,384 BD (20%)
*5,166 - Hakuouki Reimeiroku (Summer, 6 vols) 3,818 DVD (74%) / 1,349 BD (27%)
*3,090 - Kami-sama Hajimemashita (Fall, 7 vols) 1,972 DVD (64%) / 1,119 BD (37%)
*2,905 - BRAVE10 (Winter, 6 vols) 1,818 DVD (63%) / 1,088 BD (38%)
*2,450 - Ixion Saga DT (Fall, 8 vols) 1,318 DVD (54%) / 1,133 BD (47%)
*2,445 - Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou (Winter, 6 vols) 1,151 DVD (48%) / 1,295 BD (53%)
*2,442 - Sengoku Collection (Spring, 12 vols) 1,668 DVD (69%) / 774 BD (32%)
*2,269 - Arcana Famiglia (Summer, 6 vols) 1,476 DVD (66%) / 793 BD (35%)
*1,876 - Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (Fall, 7 vols) 871 DVD (47%) / 1,005 BD (54%)
*1,769 - Zetsuen no Tempest (Fall, 12 vols) 1,027 DVD (59%) / 742 BD (42%)
*1,609 - Moyashimon Returns (Summer, 6 vols) 747 DVD (47%) / 863 BD (54%)
*1,595 - Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu Utakoi. (Summer, 6 vols) 892 DVD (56%) / 703 BD (45%)
*1,412 - Hiiro no Kakera season 2 (Fall, 7 vols) 873 DVD (62%) / 539 BD (39%)
*1,023 - Code:Breaker (Fall, 7 vols) 613 DVD (60%) / 411 BD (41%)

The only outlier is Sengoku Collection, but thats because of some card for the mobile game you could get cheaper with the DVD version. Other than that, those are all pretty much female oriented titles.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
It would have been more pronounced a few years ago, to be honest. While a lot of women still prefer DVDs, I can't imagine that pretty decent chunk of those bluray sales for Kuroko aren't women as well.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Check out the shows from 2012 that had around 50% or more DVD sales:

24,402 - Kuroko no Basuke (Spring, 9 vols) 13,498 DVD (56%) / 10,905 BD (45%)
10,622 - Inu x Boku SS (Winter, 7 vols) 5,246 DVD (50%) / 5,376 BD (51%)
*9,426 - Magi (Fall, 10 vols) 5,967 DVD (64%) / 3,459 BD (37%)
*7,181 - Shin Tennis no Ouji-sama (Winter, 7 vols) 5,797 DVD (81%) / 1,384 BD (20%)
*5,166 - Hakuouki Reimeiroku (Summer, 6 vols) 3,818 DVD (74%) / 1,349 BD (27%)
*3,090 - Kami-sama Hajimemashita (Fall, 7 vols) 1,972 DVD (64%) / 1,119 BD (37%)
*2,905 - BRAVE10 (Winter, 6 vols) 1,818 DVD (63%) / 1,088 BD (38%)
*2,450 - Ixion Saga DT (Fall, 8 vols) 1,318 DVD (54%) / 1,133 BD (47%)
*2,445 - Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou (Winter, 6 vols) 1,151 DVD (48%) / 1,295 BD (53%)
*2,442 - Sengoku Collection (Spring, 12 vols) 1,668 DVD (69%) / 774 BD (32%)
*2,269 - Arcana Famiglia (Summer, 6 vols) 1,476 DVD (66%) / 793 BD (35%)
*1,876 - Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (Fall, 7 vols) 871 DVD (47%) / 1,005 BD (54%)
*1,769 - Zetsuen no Tempest (Fall, 12 vols) 1,027 DVD (59%) / 742 BD (42%)
*1,609 - Moyashimon Returns (Summer, 6 vols) 747 DVD (47%) / 863 BD (54%)
*1,595 - Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu Utakoi. (Summer, 6 vols) 892 DVD (56%) / 703 BD (45%)
*1,412 - Hiiro no Kakera season 2 (Fall, 7 vols) 873 DVD (62%) / 539 BD (39%)
*1,023 - Code:Breaker (Fall, 7 vols) 613 DVD (60%) / 411 BD (41%)

The only outlier is Sengoku Collection, but thats because of some card for the mobile game you could get cheaper with the DVD version. Other than that, those are all pretty much female oriented titles.

Thanks for posting this.

But obviously a lot of these are sub 2k, so I think you get into a sample size bias more easily (and maybe it's more meaningful if you also post a list of sub 2k shows that aren't, so we can compare titles).

Second, it seems certain shows will have a higher DVD % just because it's also more mainstream (like Magi).

Third, you forgot to exclude Ixion Saga. And maybe BRAVE10. Actually there are a few others that are definitely questionable too.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
ou forgot to exclude Ixion Saga. And maybe BRAVE10. Actually there are a few others that are definitely questionable too.

Brave 10 and Ixion Saga are totally female oriented titles. Hell, the mangaka for Brave 10 is a well known Yaoi doujin artist. And for Ixion Saga, that ED is nuff said.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Brave 10 and Ixion Saga are totally female oriented titles. Hell, the mangaka for Brave 10 is a well known Yaoi doujin artist. And for Ixion Saga, that ED is nuff said.

Um no both titles are definitely not female orientated. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Brave 10 was shounen (and there was definitely fan service for male viewers from the little of it I watched)

And Ixion Saga's ED was a spoof. The series stars a main character who wants to lose his virginity and another character who lost his balls. Yes definitely aimed at the female viewer. Rolling Eyes
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Um no both titles are definitely not female orientated. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Brave 10 was shounen (and there was definitely fan service for male viewers from the little of it I watched)

And Ixion Saga's ED was a spoof. The series stars a main character who wants to lose his virginity and another character who lost his balls. Yes definitely aimed at the female viewer. Rolling Eyes

I watched both. I dropped Brave 10 a few episode in because there was far too much focus on the pretty boys for my liking... and Ixion Saga DT was a fun watch, but it was aimed at the female audiences no question since it got all the big male seiyuus together, even having them sing together and that ED where a lot of the male characters were half naked. Only female character of note to attract male audiences was the loli.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I watched both. I dropped Brave 10 a few episode in because there was far too much focus on the pretty boys for my liking... and Ixion Saga DT was a fun watch, but it was aimed at the female audiences no question since it got all the big male seiyuus together, even having them sing together and that ED where a lot of the male characters were half naked. Only female character of note to attract male audiences was the loli.

Ryan Saotome's version of for women:

It has male characters and seiyuu, obviously it is for women.

Since Sailor Moon had mostly all female cast I guess that makes it for men too huh?

There is no way in hell Ixion Saga was aimed at female viewers. But okay, keep dreaming!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 54 of 58