• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought about this option you give and well..... it still leaves Nunnally with some mystic power to discern who is or isn’t good just by touching their hands. It gets rid of the plot hole in the first season, thought.

I know Nunnally used hands to "read" people earlier, but this can be explained that she felt changes in others' pulse and maybe that is why she could tell that they laid to her.

Yes, I know that those flashbacks are different. However, in my opinion, it is a more reasonable explanation. You just have to dismiss this difference with C.C. and V.V.' flashbacks. It doesn't make you think: Did she see any images or not? If she did. Why did she not realise that Lelouch is Zero? If she didn't see anything. Why did it look as if she saw something in the last episode?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Aylinn wrote:

It means that Nunnally should have known that Lelouch = Zero back then.

I don't suppose this will change your point of view, which is alright, but I feel like addressing it.

That's not the only way to look at it. If you take "see through the hearts of people" figuratively, since the meaning of that expression is rather vague and thus flexible, which also goes for the image montage in question, what she realized was that he still was a good-hearted person even after playing the role of a hated villain for the past several months.

Well, it's common knowledge that the blind develop their other senses to be extremely acute to compensate. I can personally vouch that this is not- or at least not entirely- Hollywood B.S.. I had a good friend once who has been blind since birth, and often said that she had developed bionic ears. She was half-joking, but only half. She could tell who just walked by from the sound of their steps, and once noticed me standing next to her despite the fact that I hadn't made myself known to her. She also recounted to me once a story about how she had given some friends, lost in an unfamiliar city, very specific directions on how to get from their hotel to a convention center nearby.

Admittedly it's a bit of a stretch to have a natural polygraph in your hands, but it's plausible given certain limitations. Keep in mind that she's only seen actually doing this once in the series, and it's referenced later that episode when Suzaku is worried enough to avoid taking her hand while deceiving her. So, maybe she can pick up something- tension in the muscles, for example- that points her in the right direction, but can really only take educated guesses. This same idea would justify how a master deceiver- which Lelouche is even at the start- could still get something by her.

Or- and THIS is an interesting idea- maybe she really IS Lulu's sister. Maybe in the aforementioned scene with the lying advisor, she didn't pick up anything with her hand. She knew the woman was lying because she either had proof from another source, or because she knew it wasn't in-character for the Brittanian establishment to treat the colonial citizens fairly. But by appearing to recognize the lie by pure instinct, she intimidates the woman and the others in the room into believing that she can sense deception. Word gets around, and in the future people will be less likely to lie to her. Or will take defensive measures- like Suzaku did later- and thus give themselves away.

As for the brief montage in the final episode- I think that was a divine message from the scriptwriters. Anime smile

Okay, okay, there ARE reasonable explanations- it represented things falling into place in her mind, or it was a realization that Lelouche spoiler[was doing the same thing she had tried to do with the Damocles- in other words, her brother was a good man in the end, if not from the beginning.] Still, it smacks of deadline-provoked lazy writing.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:

Admittedly it's a bit of a stretch to have a natural polygraph in your hands, but it's plausible given certain limitations. Keep in mind that she's only seen actually doing this once in the series, and it's referenced later that episode when Suzaku is worried enough to avoid taking her hand while deceiving her. So, maybe she can pick up something- tension in the muscles, for example- that points her in the right direction, but can really only take educated guesses.

That was actually an interesting anecdote, but I guess we would still have to consider this as taking a plausible concept and expanding it into more extravagant proportions for the sake of the plot. I do seem to remember one other instance where there was a particular focus on Nunnally holding Suzaku's hand though, but the important thing is the general idea had already been established. Just not explained in detail.

Quote:

Okay, okay, there ARE reasonable explanations- it represented things falling into place in her mind, or it was a realization that Lelouche spoiler[was doing the same thing she had tried to do with the Damocles- in other words, her brother was a good man in the end, if not from the beginning.] Still, it smacks of deadline-provoked lazy writing.

Aylinn wrote:

If she didn't see anything. Why did it look as if she sees something in the last episode?

That's more or less what I've argued and it would also be my answer to Aylinn's question, but I think it's actually both.

A picture is worth a thousand words, especially when we're talking about the last episode, where every extra second of animation and extra line of dialogue has to count (and probably drains whatever is left of the budget). There may not be enough time to write and animate those thousand words, but using a short montage is easy and gets the main point across to the audience as quickly as possible.

By the way, the series was never above the use of brief montage sequences, but the final arc in particular had a few of those, including some images that Lelouch himself never got to see and thus they're probably there just for the sake of visually representing unspoken parts of his own thoughts (like when he "talked" to Schneizel). It really does seem they were a bit short on time, no way around it. Laughing
Precisionist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Anyone think there will ever be more Code Geass?

I think it definitely left some potential for a continuation of the story.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Precisionist wrote:

Like what? There's really no more story to tell here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Precisionist wrote:

That's not true. I am reminded of the song "Life Goes On" by Mika Arisaka. Basically, just because one person died does not freeze time and end a story; there is always a tomorrow.

Basically, a faithful sequel would show that though Lelouch brought peace and harmony unto the world, human nature is human nature. First of all there will be the trials, where high-ranking officials of Lelouch's Britannia will claim that they were under the control of Geass (a secret that large is no secret at all). The problem will be sorting out who is telling the truth, and who is lying to avoid the death penalty.

Eventually, humanity will forget the lessons that it learnt fighting against Lelouch. Without a threat to keep it together, without the terrible weapons to keep everyone in line, the member states of the UFN will begin to bicker and fight against themselves. Weak-willed idiots like Ohgi will let this happen, and the spectre of all-out war will descend upon the world once more. Peace does not last forever. To eliminate war you must eliminate the reasons for war; humans.

So yeah, an accurate sequel will be obliged to show how lovey-dovey the world is five or ten years after Lelouch died, but then skip ahead fifty years and show a fractured and squabbling world, and then another fifty years with the first terrorist FLEIJA detonation.

Plenty of material for a sequel; too bad most of it is depressing.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Precisionist wrote:

Maybe not as far as Lelouch is concerned, but there's still quite a bit we don't know about Geass, the nature of the immortals, the history of the empire, the ancient ruins, and so forth. And apparently the characters are popular enough that Sunrise has already done two manga spinoffs in completely different continuities.

Personally, I want to know what's up with that spaceship-looking thing looming over the earth in the OPs. We saw it when Lelouch made his contract with CC at the very beginning of the series, too, didn't we?

Last edited by BellosTheMighty on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Precisionist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
They could always create a new conflict to world peace, whether by terrestrial or supernatural foils.

And I think they could do it after a few years instead of going ahead 50 years or something, to keep a lot of the same cast.

They've already set up a new main character, and keeping his identity would add a lot of material (as well as a new romance angle with Kallen possibly).
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
This is all speculation but, that said, I have to agree with BellosTheMighty and dtm42.

The question, of course, would be whether any of the proposed alternatives would count as a continuation of the story and not as part of a new story altogether. I think of it like this: the story of "Lelouch of the Rebellion" is over, but that of "Code Geass" may or may not be.

For example, look at the Gundam franchise. The basic story of the original Gundam cast and the One Year War was essentially over after one show. A couple of sequels brought back some of the original characters and tied up a couple of loose ends (creating a few more in the process) but, after a while, there was nobody left and events still moved on into future conflicts featuring very different individuals.

And that's within the Universal Century, not counting any of the alternate universes offering more possibilities.

Personally, I think a prequel OVA would be more interesting than a sequel, but a good premise would still be necessary.
troizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
In the last episode did Lelouch imply that Suzaku is immortal now?
Precisionist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
No I think it was that Zero is immortal. Zero is a figurehead of the people, it doesnt matter who's behind the mask only that his actions always be for the people.

Hard to miss the comparison...Zero = Zorro?

Considering the Zorro brand has had multiple people behind the mask, seems like a lot in common there.
troizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No I think it was that Zero is immortal. Zero is a figurehead of the people, it doesnt matter who's behind the mask only that his actions always be for the people.

I understad that but i got the impression that because of the geass that Lelouch put on him that he actually cannot die and will have to be zero forever.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
troizen wrote:
Quote:

I understad that but i got the impression that because of the geass that Lelouch put on him that he actually cannot die and will have to be zero forever.

A Geass can only affect the recipient's mind or the users. I doubt any amount of will to live would keep Suzaku alive if he gets chopped in two, riddled with bullets, crushed under a building, caught in a Freya detonation, etc.. I mean hell, spoiler[Shirley took a single bullet] and all the Geass-powered orders in the world didn't work.
cutemi2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
oh well, I can still watch Code GEASS R2 again on Philippine TV thru TV5
troizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A Geass can only affect the recipient's mind or the users. I doubt any amount of will to live would keep Suzaku alive if he gets chopped in two, riddled with bullets, crushed under a building, caught in a Freya detonation, etc.. I mean hell, spoiler[Shirley took a single bullet] and all the Geass-powered orders in the world didn't work.

But that doesn't really matter. I mean how many times in the series did his "will to live" kick in at the exact moment he was about to be killed and make him do some somersault to get out of harms way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 58 of 60