• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CEO: Bang Zoom to Cease Anime Dubbing in 2011 Without Fan Support

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Actually the AnimeNetwork piece was spun off to Valkyrie Media Partners.

The digital downloads seem likely to be a better fit with Section23, so I'd not be surprised if they end up running that part of the mix.

The actual legal makeup of Anime Network, Sentai, Seraphim, Section 23 and it's partners really isn't important for the most part. Despite being legally separate, the companies are all still very closely tied. In fact, many of the companies still share offices with each other, and the employment and management makeup seems to be unchanged since the restructuring.

Anime Network already handles the digital downloads of Sentai and ADV's catalog titles, though the actual distribution to iTunes is handled by Warner Brothers. They also have downloads available on PS3 and Xbox 360, including Evangelion, Clannad, E's Otherwise, Dokkoida, Mahoromatic, Angelic Layer, and more. The actual series available varies by service.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote Olivine: This makes me wonder whether the move to digital distribution would be a net loss for the R1 industry, even if it would be good for the industry as a whole. I also wonder how the R1 companies would react if, tommorow, the Japanese companies decided to make their DVD's region free, put english subtitles on them, and made the prices more reasonable.

That's the ONLY business model that is ever needed to tame the fan subs and fans into buying their stuff and spending more time watching DVD's and blu-ray's than fan subs. That's what I asked Japanese companies from day one, then the problem cease to exist with fansubs, excuses and otherwise any reasons to not get the DVD right from the start beside pricing, pricing would be the only thing left to adjust.

SO I'm asking Japan producers why don't you lift this blight and cure the situation?

Blu-ray GHOST IN THE SHELL recent release is not even subbed in Japan, what the heck is that, we're talking about GitS for anime's god. Don't tell me you need it to prove itself.../growls at producers :p

I requested BANDAI to import it to America and subbed. This is out of this world to not sub right off. I'll still import it and buy it but man what are they doing at their marketing offices? I'm calling them on that one for sure... Confused

DUB from the get go when the series starts ok...not necessary... SUB hell yeah! Why is it in 2010 that anime is not internationally branded with subtitles before it even makes it to DVD... Shocked can someone from TVTokyo or BANDAI come to ANNCAST and tell me what's their stategies for export sales and why it's not done yet in this day and age for DVD's and blu-ray's when subtitles shouldn't be a huge expense compared to the market impacts it has if you're gonna complain about fan subs for a decade!? Shocked

Stop making twice as many versions that will bring the cost down on production and sales. Subbed from the start and sell to a publisher the license to DUB. Subbed normal edition, collector/limited edition, dubbed regular and dubbed collector/limited. Sounds good saving one print that was Japanese only when now you got it ready from the start, huh Razz?

Last edited by Dakaran on Wed May 05, 2010 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
agila61

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
agila61 wrote:

The digital downloads seem likely to be a better fit with Section23, so I'd not be surprised if they end up running that part of the mix.

The actual legal makeup of Anime Network, Sentai, Seraphim, Section 23 and it's partners really isn't important for the most part. ...

Yes, its mostly important in the fact that the restructure allowed once-was-ADV to quarantine the toxic effects of a deal that went sour and continue operating.

The legal separation only comes into play in the future if one of the parts gets into financial trouble - but mostly for backroom creditor negotiations, since its not like AnimeNetwork.com can operate without sharing the licensing costs with Section23 and having dubbed series to work with. And of course, if Section23 and AnimeNetwork were not distributing dubbed content, Seraphim would be in the same boat as BangZoom.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
agila61 wrote:

The actual legal makeup of Anime Network, Sentai, Seraphim, Section 23 and it's partners really isn't important for the most part. ...

Yes, its mostly important in the fact that the restructure allowed once-was-ADV to quarantine the toxic effects of a deal that went sour and continue operating.

What I meant to imply is that this is mostly unimportant for us fans. They continue to license and release anime regularly, and do so without the continual delays and problems that plague other companies. Some fans have been obsessed with finding out exactly how Section 23 is structured, which is something that we will likely never know.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
What I meant to imply is that this is mostly unimportant for us fans. They continue to license and release anime regularly, and do so without the continual delays and problems that plague other companies. Some fans have been obsessed with finding out exactly how Section 23 is structured, which is something that we will likely never know.

Most of the precise details - which parts of the inter-company relationships are tied down by contract and which are just working relationships ... really does not make any difference as long as they are not in financial distress. And with respect to financial distress, more important than the details in an autopsy is avoiding having to have one.

Sentai licenses and Section23 handles the R1 distribution, so I call them Sentai/Section23.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Most of the precise details - which parts of the inter-company relationships are tied down by contract and which are just working relationships ... really does not make any difference as long as they are not in financial distress.

Exactly my point. And right now, the companies haven't made taken any actions (recent layoffs, delayed/canceled product) that would lead one to believe they are.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
agila61 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Most of the precise details - which parts of the inter-company relationships are tied down by contract and which are just working relationships ... really does not make any difference as long as they are not in financial distress.

Exactly my point.

That's a relief, since I was attempting to agree with you.

Quote:
And right now, the companies haven't made taken any actions (recent layoffs, delayed/canceled product) that would lead one to believe they are.

There's the wonders of Section 23 of the Texas commercial code at work - Sentai/Section23 have stepped completely out from under the liability hangover that threatened ADV with bankruptcy. Since the restructure seems to be functioning effectively, it looks very much like Sentai/Section23 has successfully dodged the bullet. That's really the take-home message.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

There's the wonders of Section 23 of the Texas commercial code at work - Sentai/Section23 have stepped completely out from under the liability hangover that threatened ADV with bankruptcy. Since the restructure seems to be functioning effectively, it looks very much like Sentai/Section23 has successfully dodged the bullet. That's really the take-home message.

But will bang zoom will also face that same thing as well??? Cause from the looks of it, it sure might be the case in 2011
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
agila61 wrote:

But will bang zoom will also face that same thing as well??? Cause from the looks of it, it sure might be the case in 2011

No, they have plenty of work - as the CEO covers in the ANNcast, they are not getting a lot of dubbing work anymore. He gave figures that two or three years ago, over 70% of their work was anime dubbing, and now its around 10%

They are an audio production company - if this is a phase that the industry recovers from, they'll still be around and available to do work when the phase is over.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

It was a neat little company bankrupcy protection law, Texas has that prevents a limited libility company in Texas from filing for Chapter 11 and lets them restructure. The catch is that in order for the company to start from stratch, it has to change its name by filing a new LLC name,transfer all of its assets to the new label,and then shut the old label down. Sometimes a LLC can file several LLC names in which ADV did. ADV did this to prevent Sojitz from a hostile takeover. With one label name, Sojitz would have still be able to demand its owed assets. Filing multiple LLCs is too troublesome for Sojitz.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
With one label name, Sojitz would have still be able to demand its owed assets. Filing multiple LLCs is too troublesome for Sojitz.

If Sojitz could show the assets were materially obtained with their funds, they might try to pursue recourse - but then with the restructure, anything they might chase would be in the back catalog holding company, not in Section23, Seraphim or AnimeNetwork, and then the game would not be worth the candle.
torreyjs

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
If dubs go away Ill stop buying dvds and move on from this hobby.

I actively buy whatever I like/think I will like if its got a dub. Granted the crap shows with dubs or those I will not like at all - such as Ouran well I cant buy that but I actively buy tons of anime a month, over 200$ a month in buying anime box sets and singles (I got in late to collecting so Im buying box sets like mad here). But still if dubs go away, well Ill keep collecting everything Im interested in owning and just silently move on to a new collection hobby. I hate subs and cant consume anime in a language that I dont speak.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
torreyjs wrote:

I actively buy whatever I like/think I will like if its got a dub. Granted the crap shows with dubs or those I will not like at all - such as Ouran well I can't buy that but I actively buy tons of anime a month, over 200$ a month in buying anime box sets and singles (I got in late to collecting so Im buying box sets like mad here). But still if dubs go away, well Ill keep collecting everything Im interested in owning and just silently move on to a new collection hobby. I hate subs and can't consume anime in a language that I don't speak.

Same here, if English dubs go away, I'll quit buying the dvds and move away from. I'll still read/purchase manga, if manga still exists in the US exists then.

If I really like the show, I purchase the show or merchandise. Yes, I might have purchased some lack luster shows and such, but I've spent hundreds on this on hobby. If English dubs go the wayside, I will still read manga and purchase it as well, granted manga companies will still exist then.

I really hate subtitles as well. My eyes aren't nearly as good as they used to be and reading small, usually very tiny print is quite the challenge and headache to do. I know maybe one or two words in Japanese, but nothing to make a conversation with. If I don't understand the language, how am I supposed to read it?

I have a feeling that Bang Zoom may stop producing dubs next year. Hear me out, if they have been struggling for the last X amount of months or even years or maybe even decades, people won't change their ways in just one year.

One century maybe, but one year isn't a ton of time. I personally have always supported them and have purchased the series I have enjoyed, but not every person follows the same pattern.

Hopefully this isn't the case, but I predicted Bandai and Media Blasters switching over to sub only on some series.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Teriyaki Terrier"]
torreyjs wrote:

The story is not about dubs going away, but rather about BangZoom getting squeezed out of dubbing. That's what happens in an industry when there is a shake-out -- some companies get shaken out. Neither Funimation nor Sentai/Section23 show any sign of eliminating dubs from their release strategies ... but of course neither would be generating any work for BangZoom.
iCards

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
While I don't mind subs, if you are going to release a product in a english speaking country, for the most part anyway, shouldn't the product be in english aduio?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 59 of 59