• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Upotte!! (ONA).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
Didn't care for this episode. Part of it, no doubt, is my natural antipathy for school festival eppies, but the "humour" didn't land for me this time. Turning a spoiler[classroom into a desert?] Bitch, please.

Thompson-sensei, however, is a most welcome presence.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Not as bad as having a Third Reich Cafe complete with Panzer... Actually that's exactly what their school festival reminded me of, Beautiful Dreamer's, but with less cocaine.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that Ichiroku's cammomaid getup was the best. It's unfortunate they didn't go with that at the end.

Also, does anyone else feel that "Garland" is supposed to be "Garand"?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I have to agree that Ichiroku's cammomaid getup was the best. It's unfortunate they didn't go with that at the end.

Also, does anyone else feel that "Garland" is supposed to be "Garand"?

It is, that's just someone at CrunchyRoll being and idiot and not double checking, just like saying AUG is an Australian-made rifle. And don't pin this on the Japanese either, if Tennouji wanted it to be Garland, then every other rifle would have have off-kilter name as well, like Sprongfold, or Thumpshun, M61, FMC, etc. It's Garand. Sorry for the small rant, but you'd expect people who earn paychecks for this stuff to be a little better than people who don't.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9.

Well I guess this was the week for silly stuff to get serious. In its own way.

This guns-as-girls thing is still a bit weird for me. It makes no sense at all but at least they are following the idea consistently.

The most interesting part of it to me is how FNC can spoiler[at the same time be so self confident that she is willing to take on a cloud of long-range snipers but still not willing to wear a thong bikini to the beach.]

If that weren't bad enough we get yet another example (as if we needed it) of how annoying steam censorship can be.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
That's fine, the steam will be gone from the BDs and Xebec will deliver on the delicious Akio Takami goodies. I hope there's some specials a la Kanokon and Ladies Versus Butlers, where they're just vehicles to show off some rampant nudity.

spoiler[I have some concerns with how the anime will handle some of the fighting later on or what scenes might get cut. Key characters in the battle were already removed, and that's a shame because they were important to the story.]

spoiler[Glad the Russians are here finally, I hope none of them are cut out either because there were a ton of them. AKM, AN-94, and Saiga are particularly nice and I'd hate to see any of one of them not present.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
Kind of funny how that one scene in the hotspring had such a large white patch blocking the girls, but then with the undressing it was pretty out there.

Oh and the Germane teacher, I really fear that such character has been underused in this series.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
I thought it was weird that it was translated wrong, but technically it WAS transliterated as something closer to "Garland" than "Garand."

It was written ガーランド instead of ガランド。

But you have to remember that ALL of the character's names are basically nicknames based on the Japanese pronunciations of the guns.

I thought it was wierd that Ichiroku's camoflague was called A-TACS even thought it literally looked like the OPPOSITE of A-TACS, but that's because A-TACS would be nearly impossible to animate accurately...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and I don't like spoiler[that they removed Funco's view on guns and ownership, that guns cannot people, only people have that power and the gun is only a tool. Maybe this reflects a culture that has practically zero gun violence and all the firearms Tennouji owns are deactivated (will never be able to fire again), but it's still a powerful message that's at the core a story about living gun girls. Moving scenes around or adding extra fanservice is one thing, but you don't fudge around with a story's message, that's wrong. Unless Verhoeven does it.]
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
They would have done that because the vast, vast majority of Japanese people are for gun control. Only a very small amount of people actually have guns (shotguns and rifles for hunting only), and only a small minority like guns. But only a very small fringe actually want Japan to not have gun control.

FWIW, that isn't really spoiler material.

Personally I agree... but more on a matter of liberty than on anything else.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10.

Well that has to be the most piss-poor combat performance since the last Tom Mix shoot-em-up.

The girls manage to shoot up an spoiler[escape car until flips, then just sits and watches them upright the car, get in again, and drive off. They just stand and watch it. Not a shot when it matters.]

Then they get themselves spoiler[pinned down in cross fire not once but multiple times. Fortunately the enemy -- all of them -- is even a worse shot than they are. Otherwise it would have been all over in a minute.]

Funny how Fucco can spoiler[sniper out four enemies from a slit in mall ceiling window with no trouble, yet 10 meters away in full spray mode can't score a hit on a stationary enemy with no cover. None of the girls can.]

Anyway, it must be nice to be able to spoiler[pull an unlimited number of loaded magazines out of your butt. Of course it works for the enemy too, who can spray the table you are hiding behind for what seems like hours without a break.]

And could someone explain why,spoiler[ if bullets shot by a gun-girl can't harm humans, how FNC managed to rack sensei up in the hospital for weeks back when this all started? Now he is just shrugging off multiple direct hits from an AK.]

Did anyone else spot spoiler[the "firm" joke? Why would the word "firm" be on a vending machine?]

Oh, well. If you want logic I guess this isn't the place to get it. Is it over?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
And could someone explain why,spoiler[ if bullets shot by a gun-girl can't harm humans, how FNC managed to rack sensei up in the hospital for weeks back when this all started? Now he is just shrugging off multiple direct hits from an AK.]

Oh, well. If you want logic I guess this isn't the place to get it. Is it over?

spoiler[That wasn't from the bullets, it was from the collapse of the shack that she shot the strength out of. ]

The anime unnecessarily changed some things around and removed a TON of material. Yeah, yeah, I know, comparing to the manga: spoiler[
-Funko tells Sensei that guns cannot harm humans themselves, as they are tools with no will of their own. This is extremely pertinent for what occurs at the end of the battle.
-FG42 saves SIG from the freezer by taking out the AKs guarding it -Sniper support from Atami Castle comes from M14 spotting for G3. There's actually a whole ton of sniper action going on from multiple sources.
-Galil was never taken out of commission; she was supposed to be ferocious until she confronts Saiga who overpowers her
-And Sensei is on the beach chatting with some captured/injured AKs before Boris and AN-94, SVD appear. This is where the philosophy between the two schools manifests, showing that the Russians don't care about the guns as anything more than tools, whereas Sensei does. Boris takes AN-94 into her gun form, which is not only now a real gun that can kill, but apparently even more powerful for some reason.

Why Sako comes back; I guess they like the Finnish Rape Elf Gun, but I'd have still preferred to see Galil do her thing.]

This whole arc really needed about an entire other episode. I really hope the BDs fix a bunch of the quality issues, and get some more episodes in.[/i]
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
Just now watching the OVA...

Dirty, dirty, dirty...

Also, random nudity.

Edit: even more nudity..

Sooooo dirty.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
it's definitely not as bad as you're making it sound
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
Agree with getchaman on the assessment. Upotte's actually rather tasteful and light on its ecchi content (only exception being a scene with Sako in the middle of the show) compared to offerings like Qwaser of Stigmata and OniAi. It's still otaku bait, but I wouldn't crunch it in with the mentioned titles I highlighted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8