• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Brad Behavior

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Blood-
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:03 am Post subject:
I can't believe Zac declined the opportunity to title this ANNCast, "Breaking Brad"...
Agreed Smile
Except maybe then members of a certain community would think this interview overly harsh. It is a bit harsh, but Zac definitely has weathered a few hours of awful AMV's, and was giving his honest attempt to get a reputable creator's observations on the medium. A bit tough, but fair, just like his reviews. I'm not really an avid con go-er, but it seems fairly easy to find decent amv's online; maybe the amateur/minimal efforts are more observed at conventions, I don't know.

Anyway, I've gotta say this was an enjoyabe podcast, if for no other reason than it lead me to hit up youtube for "Brad Demoss amv", which led me to this rather memorable take on Jin-roh. Wow.
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Damn, that would have been an interesting ANNcast (though likely another forum discussion thread less like a normal ANNcast discussion thread and more like the discussions when some legal action takes down a popular bootleg media distribution site).

I wonder whether it could be done as part of an audience call-in show.

Here's the thing: I still think there's a positive discussion to be had. I understand what Zac was getting at, I just think his choice of words ("Is this creative?") were not the best and were taken offensively, and to me, rightly so, but I genuinely don't think he meant to do that (I hope).

If I understand right, I think what he was really asking is "Where's the originality?" "Where's the substance?" and I think there's a lot of productive and insightful things to say on those topics.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
... Here's the thing: I still think there's a positive discussion to be had. I understand what Zac was getting at, I just think his choice of words ("Is this creative?") were not the best and were taken offensively, and to me, rightly so, but I genuinely don't think he meant to do that (I hope).

Its something called "a question". Just because AMV creators and fans assume that the answer is yes doesn't mean that the question should not be asked. Its surely a question that we regular listeners of ANNcast would expect to be asked on an ANNcast interviewing someone with a long background in making AMV's.

Who wants to listen to an interview filled that tiptoes around the qustion? "In what way is this creative?"? That's not a replacement for "Is this creative?" ... its a follow-up if someone answers "Yes" but doesn't elaborate.

Hell, Zac doesn't ask puff-piece questions when he is interviewing people from companies that advertise on ANN, so it would be a bit silly for AMV creators and fans to assume that they somehow have a special right that nobody else is granted to get a pure softball interview.
RiderG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Hell, Zac doesn't ask puff-piece questions when he is interviewing people from companies that advertise on ANN, so it would be a bit silly for AMV creators and fans to assume that they somehow have a special right that nobody else is granted to get a pure softball interview.

oh snap! Laughing
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

You're absolutely right, and that's why I value Zac's interviews and he has my respect. But on that note, when walking in a minefield, do not be chagrined when there are explosions. I kinda find Zac's reaction to this thread more surprising than the interview itself. Smile
fentras

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, it came off as the proverbial "so, when did you stop beating your wife?" type of question.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
There was another AMV that I wanted to post, but I couldn't find it before. This evening a couple of things came together and I came across it:

MTT-Kwasek's "Whisper of the Heart/A thousand miles" AMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRGQFyfVlc0 (I think this one goes a bit beyond "it's just editing" through its use of the piano keys).

Which reminds me of this riposte to "people make AMVs with subtitles": "Tainted donuts", a cross-over between Trigun and Cowboy Bebop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kMBVp0M8IE (again, excellent "just editing").
RiderG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
There was another AMV that I wanted to post, but I couldn't find it before. This evening a couple of things came together and I came across it:

MTT-Kwasek's "Whisper of the Heart/A thousand miles" AMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRGQFyfVlc0 (I think this one goes a bit beyond "it's just editing" through its use of the piano keys).

thanks for posting this! i'd never seen it before, i loved it! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7