• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kobato. - series discussion.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sustenance

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:47 am Reply with quote
Going to assume there has been no word of a license for an English dub at this point?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:55 am Reply with quote
Sustenance wrote:
Going to assume there has been no word of a license for an English dub at this point?

Last time it was in the news was in May, so no, I don't believe there has been any announcement of a license.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
yay finally found the old discussion forum to a series...

Kobato here was one of the more interesting I watched recently.

I liked the story ideas, about her working her way to obtain her wish, but one thing that bothers me is that it felt like they rushed things too quickly. I feel like this series should have been a 48-52 episode series to get the full effect out of the story.

I compare this to the epic Full Moon Wo Sagashite Imagine if Full Moon, which is a 52 episode series, was compressed down to 26 episodes? it wouldn't work.

I think we should have seen more of the hardships she had to go through along the way healing peoples hearts and all.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I compare this to the epic Full Moon Wo Sagashite Imagine if Full Moon, which is a 52 episode series, was compressed down to 26 episodes? it wouldn't work.

Ehh. Of course it would. Did you record how long Mitsuki kept wondering about Eichi? About 2 hours, 36 minutes, and 53 seconds.
Or how many times she said his name in the whole series? 467 times. Now, each time she said her name she sounded rather melancholic and slow, so it's safe to assume that she spent at least 5 seconds saying his name each time. So that's another 39 minutes wasted on a character whose appearance was that of a spoiler[dead body] when we finally found him. Total = 3 hours, and 15 minutes. Well, that's 9 episodes right there. Now just pull all the dragging out, including that episode with a rock blocking the shinigami from entering. Bang!
vastoceans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I love FMS but I have to agree with egoist (particularly having read the manga). The Eiichi thing was overdone to the point that the length actually affects re-watch value negatively for me. You can also eliminate some of the more unnecessary renditions of her songs and some of the shinigami filler. Hell, you could almost remove Jonathan and what'shisface completely and come out with a superior series.

As for Kobato, I think 24 episodes was fitting. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending but that was more because the male love interest spends 23 episodes being an asshole nobody can relate to but suddenly becomes a loverboy and changes tune completely. Not to mention that she fell in love with the guy in the first place despite his doucheness. "Poor me, I'm an orphan" wasn't a viable enough excuse.

Aside from him, Kobato and Kana Hanazawa are friggin adorable. She may not be the best singer but her song throughout this series managed to make me tear up quite a few times.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:

Ehh. Of course it would. Did you record how long Mitsuki kept wondering about Eichi? About 2 hours, 36 minutes, and 53 seconds.
Or how many times she said his name in the whole series? 467 times. Now, each time she said her name she sounded rather melancholic and slow, so it's safe to assume that she spent at least 5 seconds saying his name each time. So that's another 39 minutes wasted on a character whose appearance was that of a spoiler[dead body] when we finally found him. Total = 3 hours, and 15 minutes. Well, that's 9 episodes right there. Now just pull all the dragging out, including that episode with a rock blocking the shinigami from entering. Bang!

I agree with the eichi thing, although I did enjoy some of the shinigami filler as a break. Either way it was still an epic series.

Despite the two opinions I think kobato should have been longer, however some of the filler I call "Ioryogi and Friends'" could have been eliminately mostly.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Even though vastoceans neglected to mention Fujimoto's dedication to the kindergarten through working part-time jobs to help support it, I'll concur with vastocean's conclusion. Adding that fact to his orphan status still doesn't make him a believable love interest for Kobato. However, I'll give a some leeway to his "late conversion" since spoiler[a change of heart that resulted in a new candy piece for Kobato almost always happened at the "last minute", so in order to make the Fujimoto's-change-of-heart-got-Kobato-a-full-jar gimmick work, he also had to have a quick mental turnaround like all the others before him for consistency's sake]. I won't say that it was not satisfying, but it wasn't fully satisfying than if they had taken a longer, more gradual route in his change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7