• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's A Little Bit Funi, This Feeling Inside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From what I've heard, Guilty Crown is too soon to start production on, as the last volume was just recently released in Japan. We can expect it some time late 2013.

The Future Diary's dub is currently in production right now, so we'll probably see it this spring if everything goes well.

Then again, this is all just from what I've read around the forums. Whether it has any merit or not is beyond me.

Thanks for the information!
I bet the ADR director for the dub is either Joel McDonald or Christopher Bevins they seem to be the go to directors for these type of shows it would be a great surprise if it ended up being Mike Mcfarland but I doubt that's the case considering he is busy working on One Piece. That's a long time to wait for Guilty Crown.
Buster D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

As for what happened here, I can only guess. This could be as simple as a configuration mistake when the master tapes were captured or cloned in Japan. Black levels are also nowhere near as set in stone as fans seem to think they are -- Japanese NTSC spec puts it at 10 IRE higher than North American equipment, but in HD some masters follow that spec and some don't. Sometimes American gear is used by Japanese companies, adding effects that hit American black levels while the rest of the show has Japanese black levels. I can't tell you how much pain and headache that causes US distros.

IRE levels should never be a factor for digital masters in the first place. Japanese DVDs and BDs do not appear any darker when played on North American equipment, because the IRE is automatically adjusted by the analog outputs of Japanese players (it's not needed for HDMI). So there should be no need to adjust the brightness of a digital master, yet there have been countless FUNi DVDs and BDs that are brighter than their Japanese counterparts. They've apparently been under the mistaken impression that they need to correct for NTSC differences when they haven't been relevant since the VHS era.
(Oh, and it's actually standard North American NTSC that has a higher IRE, and the difference is 7.5, not 10.)
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
Buster D wrote:
[IRE levels should never be a factor for digital masters in the first place. Japanese DVDs and BDs do not appear any darker when played on North American equipment, because the IRE is automatically adjusted by the analog outputs of Japanese players (it's not needed for HDMI). So there should be no need to adjust the brightness of a digital master, yet there have been countless FUNi DVDs and BDs that are brighter than their Japanese counterparts. They've apparently been under the mistaken impression that they need to correct for NTSC differences when they haven't been relevant since the VHS era.

Do you REALLY think everyone is just blindly applying filters without looking at a scope, or the image itself?

I've seen literally hundreds of master tapes from Japan over the years. You're welcome to argue with me on this, but at least 50% of them have come in with high black levels, from D2 to Digibeta to HDCAM. It happens ALL THE TIME. It just happened to me this week!

Quote:
(Oh, and it's actually standard North American NTSC that has a higher IRE, and the difference is 7.5, not 10.)

Ah, right you are. There must be some other reason why I've been getting tapes from Japan with black levels hovering around 10 IRE for the past decade, and a good half of the masters I and my clients work with have to have brightness correction applied downwards.
Buster D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Do you REALLY think everyone is just blindly applying filters without looking at a scope, or the image itself?

I wouldn't put it past FUNi, no. They've never particularly seemed to care about video quality.

Quote:
I've seen literally hundreds of master tapes from Japan over the years. You're welcome to argue with me on this, but at least 50% of them have come in with high black levels, from D2 to Digibeta to HDCAM. It happens ALL THE TIME. It just happened to me this week!

Strange that this problem seems mostly limited to FUNi, then. I remember quite a bit of bitching about the Dragon Box brightness increase. Their Black Lagoon BD release is also affected: http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=2008143#post2008143 (another Geneon release like Lain, so perhaps these particular cases might be due to the JP side).

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, right you are. There must be some other reason why I've been getting tapes from Japan with black levels hovering around 10 IRE for the past decade, and a good half of the masters I and my clients work with have to have brightness correction applied downwards.

Then it's a shame that FUNi doesn't know how to do the same (if it's really the Japanese who are increasing the brightness of their masters and not FUNi themselves).
Kakugo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

And that's... a really fair point. I've seen masters from countries that don't even use NTSC having IRE 7.5 black levels. Can't explain it, don't even want to understand it. All I can do is fix it when I see it and shake my head sadly.

Make no mistake, the banding issues are there, but Justin has a number of good points suggesting how these issues could be coming from the Japanese end, and not from FUNimation themselves.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Reading the back-and-forth between Buster, Kakugo, and Justin has actually been pretty interesting for someone like me. I try to be an informed consumer, but getting your facts straight with something so convoluted is not always going to happen. Also, Justin's lamentation on how misinformation can get spread this way, what with the blind leading the blind, was welcome. A bitter pill to swallow, but welcome!

I hope you go for those articles, Justin. I'll guarantee you one reader. Wink
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Buster D wrote:
I wouldn't put it past FUNi, no. They've never particularly seemed to care about video quality.

An opinion I will not agree with.

Before I leaped into the bluray world, I allowed myself to get suckered in by those who read three lines of wikipedia, deemed themselves experts, then started to regurgitate nothing short of idiocy with their "expertise".

Zac called it: most of the issues are but a few frames of a very specific episode, as though this was justification to rip apart the entire series.

I'm sick of "experts" duping the world with ridiculous banter, confusing the issue more than it has to be. I don't disagree a few frames here and there won't be noticeable, but to make a blanket statement like this is based on ignorance.

It's as though many of these "experts" think production houses in Japan crank out 1080p anime by the truckload, and that's something most of these "bash" sites ever address: the original format.

This is why I think FUNimation should "fight back", if only to help give consumers confidence they are doing their best.

Well, at least I'll be here to challenge nonsense like this opinion. Their blurays are just fine, and as I hear it, are even better than what the Japanese get in some cases.
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Before I leaped into the bluray world, I allowed myself to get suckered in by those who read three lines of wikipedia, deemed themselves experts, then started to regurgitate nothing short of idiocy with their "expertise".

Zac called it: most of the issues are but a few frames of a very specific episode, as though this was justification to rip apart the entire series.

No. The banding is present throughout the entire series. It's simply more visible on digitally animated segments and dark scenes (which there are a lot of) than bright or cel-based ones.

Quote:
Well, at least I'll be here to challenge nonsense like this opinion. Their blurays are just fine, and as I hear it, are even better than what the Japanese get in some cases.

Talk about regurgitating. And just what are these "even better" releases? Their Spice & Wolf season 1 release was an upscale when the JP release was HD, and FUNi's release had severe black crush to boot, rendering different clothing colors solid black.

Some of their older upscale Blu-rays (like Witchblade) are so bad that even the DVDs have more detail. Although with a lot of FUNi DVDs being bitrate-starved, it's a pick your poison type of situation.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Buster D wrote:
No. The banding is present throughout the entire series. It's simply more visible on digitally animated segments and dark scenes (which there are a lot of) than bright or cel-based ones.

Yes. My statement wasn't limited to a single series, but the broader discussion arena of anime bluray critiquing.

Being able to read about the banding issue is very helpful, but when it's followed with "which shows FUNimation doesn't know what it's doing.", all respect for the statement is gone.

What makes more sense: the banding issue is related to the master used or FUNimation has a history of banding issues with its catalog.

Quote:
And just what are these "even better" releases? Their Spice & Wolf season 1 release was an upscale when the JP release was HD, and FUNi's release had severe black crush to boot, rendering different clothing colors solid black.

This depends on how the anime was produced. If the Japanese received the series in HD, that could be 720, which would be in line with the original resolution. If it was 1080, then the reason for our upscale is obvious. I can't find info on the original production resolution.

As for "even better", can't answer that. As I said, it's "what I hear", meaning if I were to leave it to the internet to educate me, then the comment was as facetious as those taking 10 second clips and criticizing the entire series for it.

Quote:
Some of their older upscale Blu-rays (like Witchblade) are so bad that even the DVDs have more detail. Although with a lot of FUNi DVDs being bitrate-starved, it's a pick your poison type of situation.

Yes, their older blurays were problematic, considering this is a relatively new world for them. To me, this is no different than NISA having to recall a few products for even more blatant problems. Throw in the well known issue of bluray authoring, frankly, I'm surprised it wasn't a bigger fiasco.

The original information also hindered my decision to jump into bluray until things got better. For me, they've improved enough I won't even look at DVDs anymore. I say that's progress, even if it's not perfect. It's better, and I know enough to know true 1080 blurays in R1 will be a problem completely unrelated to video issues.

But I will say this: the same situation happens in Japan, too. When Kadokawa announced the bluray of Lucky Star, with the original English dub, the comments I read about it said it was horrible. Well, I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder because if anyone tells me the bluray sucks compared to the DVD, I'm going to tell them to get their eyes checked.

And yes, it's an upscale and its filter process had me, for the first time ever on an anime bluray, adjust my television settings to tone down the brightness from "Dynamic" to "Standard".

Usually, it's the other way around for me, simply because I find many blurays too dark, regardless if they're movies or anime.
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

What makes more sense: the banding issue is related to the master used or FUNimation has a history of banding issues with its catalog.

They do have a history of brightness issues, as I've already pointed out with references to several series.

Quote:

This depends on how the anime was produced. If the Japanese received the series in HD, that could be 720, which would be in line with the original resolution. If it was 1080, then the reason for our upscale is obvious.

What? Are you saying that if it was 1080 rather than 720, then being an upscale is obvious? I can't even begin to make sense of this. For one thing, nearly all digital anime is originally animated at 720p (major exceptions being Ghibli films and Children Who Chase Voices) but Blu-ray masters are 1080i or 1080p.

Quote:
As for "even better", can't answer that. As I said, it's "what I hear", meaning if I were to leave it to the internet to educate me, then the comment was as facetious as those taking 10 second clips and criticizing the entire series for it.

Nice backpedal. "Internet experts don't know what they're talking about, so it doesn't matter if I spread disinformation either."
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Buster D wrote:
What? Are you saying that if it was 1080 rather than 720, then being an upscale is obvious? I can't even begin to make sense of this.

Sorry about the confusion, but I thought it was understood why R1 wouldn't get HD blurays when Japan gets them (reverse importation worries).

Quote:
For one thing, nearly all digital anime is originally animated at 720p (major exceptions being Ghibli films and Children Who Chase Voices) but Blu-ray masters are 1080i or 1080p.

It's still an upscale, while not as visually noticeable from 480. Basically put, unless the actual production is done in 1080 (and as noted, few are), every bluray sold is an upscale.

It is of my understanding FUNimation will get masters based on the contractual agreement with the licensor, which usually doesn't include HD in most cases.

If FUNimation is getting HD masters and there's video issues introduced not found in the same product in Japan, there's a possibility the distortion is intentional.

It wouldn't surprise me. We see this quite often in streaming.

Quote:
Nice backpedal. "Internet experts don't know what they're talking about, so it doesn't matter if I spread disinformation either."

It's not a backpedal. It's a statement of opinion against your own that I quoted, proving neither is valid.

Believe me, if I had information of these titles I could use as ammo, I'd be tossing them in the discussion without hesitation.

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to misinformation. I can't stand to read it so I do my best not to give it.
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

It's still an upscale, while not as visually noticeable from 480. Basically put, unless the actual production is done in 1080 (and as noted, few are), every bluray sold is an upscale.

While technically true, it's not really relevant to the discussion.

For the record, Japan's Spice & Wolf was from an HD source, but FUNi's was SD. Neither was originally from full 1080p resolution, but FUNi's release is still objectively worse.

Quote:
It is of my understanding FUNimation will get masters based on the contractual agreement with the licensor, which usually doesn't include HD in most cases.

If FUNimation is getting HD masters and there's video issues introduced not found in the same product in Japan, there's a possibility the distortion is intentional.

It wouldn't surprise me. We see this quite often in streaming.

I rather doubt that's the case with Spice & Wolf. The Japanese would probably just deny them a BD release if they were worried about reverse importation rather than purposefully sabotage the masters. But even if they did, it's FUNi's product that is inferior, and they're the ones who are ultimately responsible for it. If they're only able to get SD upscaled masters for an HD show, then they shouldn't release it on Blu-ray.

I don't care enough about Spice & Wolf (or Lain) to go on a rampage about it, but I'm not going to preorder any of their future releases I want, either.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Buster D wrote:
For the record, Japan's Spice & Wolf was from an HD source, but FUNi's was SD. Neither was originally from full 1080p resolution, but FUNi's release is still objectively worse.

How did this determination get made? I can't imagine there are people out there buying both products just so they can do side-by-side comparisons (though I wouldn't rule out some would do this).

If the determination is based on a few screenshots, we're right back at the position of "few frames rather than the entire series".

You mentioned the color change issue, which I didn't notice, and to be frank, it's the first time I've heard of the issue. I have heard of the excessive/lack of filters and strengtheners (which I've noticed), but unless I see the BD from Japan myself, it's hard to accept the "consensus".

I'm not saying it's not true, but I also won't trust my own computer monitor over internet screenshots, either.

Most of those images posted I've seen are in jpeg format. I hope you can understand why I see this as an issue.

Quote:
If they're only able to get SD upscaled masters for an HD show, then they shouldn't release it on Blu-ray.

Two years ago, I would have agreed to this. No, I did agree to this, actually. It infuriated me, but unfortunately, there's got to be a compromise made in exchange for better visuals, and I decided to take this route rather than wait for an industry to share HD masters.

I want to say again I don't disagree there are obvious issues with upscaled blurays sold in R1, but they are still better than their DVD equivalent. Spice & Wolf in particular looked very good to me, but it's obvious it's an upscale.

I can also say the same about Strike Witches. However, their Ouran High School Host Club, which retained the 4:3 ratio, looks gorgeous (perhaps it was HD).

But as I'll re-iterate: as one who imported Lucky Star, I'm not confident Japan isn't getting the same thing, even if it's not the same series.

If you get the chance, check it out. If you can objectively state to me what FUNimation delivers isn't on par with that series, then we appear to be at a position of mutual disagreement.

Though, continue with your assessments in other posts as warranted. If I'm unfamiliar with the product you describe, it helps with being more knowledgeable rather than assuming.

This comes with a string attached: if the comment assumes what FUNimation received from Japan and those old titles are going to be judged against them indefinitely, it's information I won't trust.

I'd still like to see the industry put on the box the native format used to produce the product. I can't imagine this would hurt sales since those who've already purchased and disliked what they saw would be likely to do it again.
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Buster D wrote:

How did this determination get made? I can't imagine there are people out there buying both products just so they can do side-by-side comparisons (though I wouldn't rule out some would do this).

If the determination is based on a few screenshots, we're right back at the position of "few frames rather than the entire series".

There are screenshots of the US release here: http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1953417&postcount=56 and the JP release here: http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1953427&postcount=58

The black crush is limited to the OP/ED, but the entire thing is an SD upscale. Say all you want about "based on a few screenshots", but the rest of the show that wasn't capped isn't magically going to stop being an SD upscale.

Quote:
Most of those images posted I've seen are in jpeg format. I hope you can understand why I see this as an issue.

JPG compression is not going to be an issue when done properly. It's literally indistinguishable from PNG if set at the lowest compression level: http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives/2009/08/compressed-vs-uncompressed/ http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives/2009/08/lossy-vs-lossless-results/

Quote:
Quote:
If they're only able to get SD upscaled masters for an HD show, then they shouldn't release it on Blu-ray.

Two years ago, I would have agreed to this. No, I did agree to this, actually. It infuriated me, but unfortunately, there's got to be a compromise made in exchange for better visuals, and I decided to take this route rather than wait for an industry to share HD masters.

I want to say again I don't disagree there are obvious issues with upscaled blurays sold in R1, but they are still better than their DVD equivalent.

I'm not talking about SD upscales of anime that was originally SD (I actually prefer BDs of those to DVDs, if they're done right). I'm talking about SD upscales of anime that was originally HD.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Actually, the instance of multiple releases in markets worldwide has given rise to websites like www.caps-a-holic.com, wherein individuals can upload screen captures of various releases. There's even an HD section at: http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/test.php

As explained, the PNG files, while large, are lossless captures of the image. Of course, a fair representation of the content requires a considerable number of shots, so sections will compare 10 or so shots from the beginning to end of the feature. The result is a really remarkable comparison archive, where you can at least make some kind of educated decision about a purchase.

I think it's a boon for general collectors and hardcore fans of certain films alike; it's a shame there isn't too much anime available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8