• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Parent Navarre Reports Q4 Anime Sales Dip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Eva 1.1 must've really broke FUNi. Sales would probably be statistically higher if the company didn't have to deal with off-setting whatever ransom it had to pay to Gainax for the movie by cutting back. And paying that dough, regardless of the demand versus fansub consumption, was the same mistake Manga made.

_v_:
Quote:
Streaming isn't doing that great

It's doing great for exposure of the genre and for smaller companies like S23 and Discotek which can wrangle safer bets out of the more "niche" shows. [For all the "sky is falling" comments, why doesn't anyone look at the positive?! We're getting more diverse content, and at better prices, than before the bubble!] It's not doing great for companies which are misled into believing that licensing a show and then giving it away for free online means instant success. While the market has expanded because of sites like CR, WOM is still essential to a show's success. And Bund allegedly wasn't that popular in its uncut form.

jsevakis:
Quote:
Very true. For all the crap the fans give them, 4Kids has arguably recruited more otaku than any other company in America.

Their success story is just a fluke and had nothing to do with their marketing as much as it had to do with Nintendo's marketing. And if you want to talk about recruiting otaku, you're not giving enough credit to FUNi with DBZ.

Quote:
GitS was a sleeper hit, but actually lost Manga Ent a lot of money.

Perhaps, but it helped boost the company's catalog.

Quote:
Afro Samurai was a pseudo-American piece, but a deftly handled one (and it was not really made a hit BY Funi, but rather by Spike TV.)

ABTAP:
Um, Afro Samurai bombed on Spike. And any home video sales it made should at least be partly credited to FUNi choosing to cast Jackson as the lead character.

Quote:
It's like how Warner Brothers leveraged the initially money-losing 1989 Batman film into a revival of the marketing franchise outside comics, only on a much, much smaller scale for Manga.

Um, WTF are you talking about? The Burton Batman was a hit right out of the gate! It was the effing talk of the year, too!

Overlord:
Quote:
When has anime ever outsold Hollywood at an American theater? Oh that's right never.

Actually, the first Pokemon movie made big bank.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I think Killtheshrew was being honest (and I would have liked to have found out his age). Either that or a troll. Thank goodness he's been banned.

I've read a couple of his posts on other threads and they make no sense. It's like he doesn't even live in reality with the type of opinions he had.

"RAWR U SHUDNT BE HAVIN FUN @ ALL!"

Uh, okay, nonsensical solution. So should the people who are trying to find a cure for cancer not have any breaks either until they've uncovered a cure? Should Mr. Obama not eat or sleep or have any little time to himself until all of the issues in America are solved? And these analogies don't even relate, because with this anime "crisis" we're talking about ENTERTAINMENT.

"Fans are SUFFERING from poor sales"? Get over yourself.

-----

As for the topic itself, I'm not really all that worried. I dislike the doomsday approach because believing the worst is like a constant spiral down. I think some reactions in this thread are really irrational: they blow the bad stuff out of proportion and completely overlook anything positive.

For those out there who buy, just continue what you're doing to support the industry. Perhaps, try to convince your non-buying friends to support what they enjoy if they have the available income to do so. That's all that I'm going to do, and that's all I really can do.

Also, for people on here who think ANN is doing shoddy reporting *cough*crilix*cough*, skepticism over what's being said is one thing, but blindly disbelieving everything that was being said by Funi and Navarre is just as foolish as blindly believing everything (which Zac and Justin weren't doing - they're both rational and they both know how the industry works).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Killtheshrew wrote:
samuelp wrote:
I went out with a fairly important person in the Japanese anime industry the other night and over sushi and sake had a 4 hour debate over what the long term solution is, both for Japan and the companies around the world.

This is why anime is bombing, surely such an important person should be working on an actual solution instead of masdebating with a forum goer for 4 whole frigging hours, that time could have been spent actually doing some good for the industry instead it's just time wasted. Tisk.

Um, I do work in the industry in addition to posting on these forums:
person#74997

well then try to convince the japanese companies to add english subtitles to their blu-ray releases, I would have loved buying ladies versus butlers, but the japanese language is still eluding me.
and they would export more blu-rays if they did it
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Killtheshrew wrote:
samuelp wrote:
I went out with a fairly important person in the Japanese anime industry the other night and over sushi and sake had a 4 hour debate over what the long term solution is, both for Japan and the companies around the world.

This is why anime is bombing, surely such an important person should be working on an actual solution instead of masdebating with a forum goer for 4 whole frigging hours, that time could have been spent actually doing some good for the industry instead it's just time wasted. Tisk.

person#74997

well then try to convince the japanese companies to add english subtitles to their blu-ray releases, I would have loved buying ladies versus butlers, but the japanese language is still eluding me.

Am trying... Have been trying... Will continue to try...

I'll be speaking directly with a Japanese blu-ray authoring house soon about just such an arrangement.
Give it another 2 seasons.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
There are many people thinking about where things are going and how to restructure... Everything from how anime is funded, to how it is distributed, to the revenue system, to georestrictions, to royalty payments, to the role of local distributors...

I don't know how fast _V_ expected streaming to grow from a small sapling to a mighty oak tree, but I do know that the number one beef everytime Crunchyroll announces a streaming license is the region restrictions.

Its been getting better in many cases. Many releases are all of R1 and all of R4, when only last year getting all of R4 was rare.

But somebody in Europe and somebody in ASEAN is mucking things up for R2-ex-Japan and R3. We see so many anime now that are Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, the Netherlands, the UK and Ireland ... ie, the Nordic countries and the British Isles. Sometimes South Africa. No Central Europe, no Eastern Europe, not Med, no Middle East.

And R3 is just time and time again, nothing. I would not be surprised if someone in Malaysia or Thailand sees a list of three or four anime, total. Basically "Worldwide release", then nothing,

I could see if rights owners did not want a title to go into CR's back catalog, but not letting CR have it for a one week premium and thirty day ad-stream ... I don't see what the rights owners are thinking. Do they imagine that bootlegs of the shows are not streaming freely into their countries?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Afro Samurai was a pseudo-American piece, but a deftly handled one (and it was not really made a hit BY Funi, but rather by Spike TV.)

ABTAP:
Um, Afro Samurai bombed on Spike. And any home video sales it made should at least be partly credited to FUNi choosing to cast Jackson as the lead character.

Afro Samurai was not produced, made or dubbed by Funi nor were any of the casting decisions made by them. They are only playing the role of distributor.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Quote:

ABTAP:

Afro Samurai was not produced, made or dubbed by Funi nor were any of the casting decisions made by them. They are only playing the role of distributor.

Actually, Samuel L. Jackson was a key producer. It was his decision to get the project going. He casted himself as Afro.

"That pilot, distributed around Hollywood by Calderon, ended up in the hands of one Sam Jackson, who all but demanded to play the title role and took on the roles of executive and co-producer as well."

And Afro Samurai did well enough for Spike TV, including Emmy nominations, that they added a 2nd season Afro Samurai: Resurrection. It even scored big in Japan. So yeah, it was a good investment for Spike TV.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Actually, it was the second show which got an Emmy. And the second show got made because the first show made money. The ratings still sucked for the first show, though. But it probably did as well as most shows on Spike.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Killtheshrew wrote:
samuelp wrote:

person#74997

I'll be speaking directly with a Japanese blu-ray authoring house soon about just such an arrangement.

well I would be happy if they did that, I know the blu-ray box of clannad has subtitles, and we might never see a blu-ray of it from sentai films, it's just 600.00USD + forthe complete set is kinda much, but if they would start releasing normal shows like ladies versus butlers with subs on the blu-rays, I would buy them, easier to buy 2 episode blu-rays, one at a time, versus a complete collection, gives me time to save up for each volume
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Actually, it was the second show which got an Emmy. And the second show got made because the first show made money. The ratings still sucked for the first show, though. But it probably did as well as most shows on Spike.

If the show made money, then the ratings obviously did not "suck".

Ratings determine ad revenues. If you need a massive rating to make back your money and merely get a big rating, the big rating sucks. If you need a typical small fraction of a percent basic cable rating to make back your money and succeed, that small fraction of a percent basic cable rating is a good rating.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
agi:
Quote:
If the show made money, then the ratings obviously did not "suck".

Ratings have nothing to do with home video revenue. See Family Guy in the early 2000s and Futurama.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Don't let them hide behind the old" but we're afraid of back importing" bollox that I got from AIC. I told them no one can back import what is only being sold from Japan. They still didn't get it. Rolling Eyes
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Don't let them hide behind the old" but we're afraid of back importing" bollox that I got from AIC. I told them no one can back import what is only being sold from Japan. They still didn't get it. Rolling Eyes

Of course back importing is no issue if the overseas cost is the cost in Japan plus international shipping. How could shipping it across the Pacific twice make it cheaper?

Do they imagine that the problem with back importing is caused by a magical ship that makes product cheaper when it carries it?

Sounds like people substituting buzz words for thinking it through a plague in corporations the world round.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:

The sticking points are basically this:
1. The company that would have to fit the bill for this is usually the one that owns the international distribution rights, and that's almost always different than the company with the local Japanese blu-ray rights. So for example, pony canyon making their own english subs for local R2 blu-ray would be considered stepping on the turf of whatever DIFFERENT company, say Medianet, owns the US distribution rights to sell.
If Pony canyon made the subs themselves, Medianet would complain that PC's actions profit pony canyon's BD sales but hurt Medianet's ability to sell the BD rights overseas.

I.e. it's true that someone is making more money by doing it, but at the same time other companies in the same production committee might make less money (or have their piece of the pie be less valuable) by the idea, so for the sake of "harmony" it is not usually possible.

2. If the blu-ray rights are controlled by the same people who control the international sales rights, and this happens for a lot of shows, there's pressure for R1 distributors to NOT put english subs on the R2 blu-rays precisely because it would eat into their core buying audience, and sets a dangerous precedent. Of course with so little money in R1 lately anyway, this reason is becoming less important over time outside of the popular shows.

3. Localization has always been the purview of the respective foreign licensor. They foot the bill (until recoup), they handle the contracting, they do basically everything. It's only in the past year that any Japanese animation company has done serious localization work mostly themselves, and it's usually in conjunction with Crunchyroll or Funimation's simulcasts. The DVD/blu-ray distro companies in Japan are only just now getting the message that this could be an important skill to have for the future.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

3. Localization has always been the purview of the respective foreign licensor. They foot the bill (until recoup), they handle the contracting, they do basically everything. It's only in the past year that any Japanese animation company has done serious localization work mostly themselves, and it's usually in conjunction with Crunchyroll or Funimation's simulcasts. The DVD/blu-ray distro companies in Japan are only just now getting the message that this could be an important skill to have for the future.

This is one of the reasons that anime in North America is really a terrible business to be in. You spend a ton of money localizing a property, only to have it for a limited period of time. Then everything you created for it reverts back to the original owner.

But luckily, this is starting to change slowly, and in more than just digital distribution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8