• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DClark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Beck but I personally could've done without the whole Leon Sykes angle, and I think they should have ended the series one episode early. I thought the final episode deviated from the spirit of the series; in my opinion it would have been a better overall series if the culmination of it had been the events at the festival.

It's still a very good series though.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
I actually thought it ended a bit abruptly. I think it could've done with a couple more episodes. At times the relationship (though I felt it was handled more maturely) did leave some lose ends at times. Additionally, it would've been nice to get more than a slideshow type of ending. It was effective but what can I say, the performances are awesome.
DClark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
I actually thought it ended a bit abruptly. I think it could've done with a couple more episodes. At times the relationship (though I felt it was handled more maturely) did leave some lose ends at times. Additionally, it would've been nice to get more than a slideshow type of ending. It was effective but what can I say, the performances are awesome.

That's why I think it should've ended one episode early. The festival should have been the climax to season one, and the last episode really should have been a second season of Beck.
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:

I agree. spoiler[Ryuusuke wasn't even present during the last episode ](although he did have some lines).

DClark wrote:
That's why I think it should've ended one episode early. The festival should have been the climax to season one, and the last episode really should have been a second season of Beck.

That would've been great. More BECK = More fun.

Last edited by jetz on Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
That's true a second season where they're actually famous and touring would've been nice and of course there's still a lot of room in regards of Koyuki and Maho's relationship to develop.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
xanbcoo wrote:
jetz wrote:
I liked it, but I didn't like the main character (Koyuki). He's probably one of the most annoying main characters I've ever seen. spoiler[He's one crybaby and he gets bullied all of the time.]

I think the very first episode tore down this stereotype pretty well, when he threw himself in front of the gang who thought he and his friends trashed the car.

Nowhere in the series does it make a huge deal of Koyuki being bullied, or a spineless wimp. He's just an average guy. Probably more sheltered and quiet than most, but def. not a "crybaby".

That said, I really like Beck. The music in it is pretty darn great, and "Spice of Life" has one of the most fun bass lines I've ever heard.

I still think he's a crybaby though. I've seen him cry at least 2 times during the series.

Don't mean to bump an old thread for such a petty reason, but I was rewatching a few episodes, and in episode 10 spoiler[Koyuki yells at (and then tackles head-on!) the big, agro-guy who had him cornered in a dark alley. Someone three times his size]. I don't know how many more examples need be given. Koyuki is not a wimp. There doesn't seem to be a moment where Koyuki is confronted by a "bully" and doesn't stand up for himself.

And as far as crying goes, I actually can't remember any crying at all. I think Koyuki may have shead a tear in one of the later episodes when spoiler[he and Saku said goobye because Saku was moving, but that was hardly "crying" and was very sentimental. He was losing a good friend. ].

RE: More episodes. That'd be great, but I guess I'll just have to content myself with the manga while listening to the soundtrack. Sad
King_Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
A very good series! I love both the anime and their musics , I have seen all Episodes but its looks like the chapters will just continue in Manga.
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Love the series. Not sure why, but I do^_^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ginarb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
The thing I love most about this series is it strays away from the stereotypical anime. You won't find any death gods, demons, or kamehamehas here.

You know a show's good when you immediately search for wallpaper and the OSTs when you finish watching it. Very Happy

BECK is beyond compare.
Kresin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Anybody know if they are going to make a 2nd season? One would imagine they would because the series seems pretty popular and got good reviews. spoiler[Plus it kinda ended with a claffhanger](I'm not sure about that, found that out on the last episode summary I read). Just wondering if anybody else has heard anything.
Maken Buster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
As a musician, myself, I really appreciated the detail in the instruments and all the little references to various artists and bands. The scene with spoiler[Koyuki and Maho skinny dipping and singing in the pool] was really memorable and sweet, not to mention all the bitchin' tunes!

What surprised me the most, however, was the new appreciation I got for simpler music, although Taira has some blistering chops when it comes to the bass. The way Koyuki progresses as a musician and how much emotion he wields while playing was inspiring.

Definitely one of my all time favorite series.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
And as far as crying goes, I actually can't remember any crying at all. I think Koyuki may have shead a tear in one of the later episodes when spoiler[he and Saku said goobye because Saku was moving, but that was hardly "crying" and was very sentimental. He was losing a good friend. ].

He cries when he accidentally smashed the guitar Ryuusuke gave him. That was sort of wimpy but it's pretty obvious that he respects him a lot so even though it's kinda wimpy it's not just him being a crybaby like oh so many other characters are.
leafborn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Funimation has just slapped every BECK fan across the face. One of the best songs in the series, "I've got a Feeling" has been torn from the episode and been replaced. I don't know the name of the song, but whether you're watching it in Japanese or English "I've got a Feeling" no longer exists. The song doesn't remotely come close to maching Koyoki's lips moving.

-Extremely pissed off
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd just finished watching vol. 6 and the commentary episode, when I went online and saw this thread...

I haven't listened through the japanese audio track yet, so I don't know if the original used a Beatles song like the manga says, but I think the song that did occupy that spot in the english dub did just fine. It served the purpose it needed to fulfill in the script, and works as well musically as anything in the dub of the series. Not having the japanese version in my head, I'm happy with what I just saw and heard.

If you stop at think for a moment, to use a Beatles song would require licensing the song from the owner of the Beatles catalog, which might have been more than Funimation was willing to spend, rather than substituting the song being a 'deliberate slap in the face' to the fans.

If I'm upset about anything, it's that the last two episodes seem to rush through the storyline, skipping and jumping across important points, and not really coming to a satisfying conclusion. It's almost like a second season was planned for, but then didn't happen, so they tried to rush through to the end.

Here's hoping they reconsider, and do a second season someday. Encyclopedia shows 30 volumes of the japanese manga as of June 2007, so perhaps there's enough future material on hand.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
I met Greg Ayres at NDK back in September and we had a really nice chat about BECK, both of us being huge fans of it. At one point he mentioned that FUNi was unable to obtain the rights to use the Beatles song. To give FUNi a chance, Greg and several other actors on the show, I think Johnny Yong Bosch was another, offered to work on the latter half for free. Alas, it didn't work but they tried so it's not like the change was done willingly. And when you think about it for a minute, it's the Beatles, there's no way obtaining the rights to use one of their songs is easy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10