• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Bookstore Chain Borders Files for Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
farix wrote:
But one thing I have heard rumors of is that some Border outlets have been playing games with some books, in particular political books.

This isn't a rumor. It's big business for distributors to pay retail outlets top dollar to put their product in front of eyes. Supermarkets do it too.

Retailers will also take advantage of "what's hot" to re-arrange their goods to meet those very eyes. For example, when Transformers was big, thanks to the movies, many retailers grouped all their "robot toys" together in order for them to ride the coattails of another brand.

Google for some more info on this. You'd be surprised at how far it goes, right down to how aisles are designed to get you to buy.

It's business all about getting you to open that wallet.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
This isn't a rumor. It's big business for distributors to pay retail outlets top dollar to put their product in front of eyes. Supermarkets do it too.

Retailers will also take advantage of "what's hot" to re-arrange their goods to meet those very eyes.

One more reason why I buy any legally-licensed anime from Amazon.com or TRSI. Yes, Amazon.com's front page does have an automatic recommendation list based on what you browsed in their online store, but I usually ignore that and use the search function to find what I need. Smile
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
Bad for Borders? More like bad for publishers...

nyarine wrote:
My closest store in Tucson is closing. Now I gotta go across town for the other (larger) store.

Some figures on how much Borders owes publishers and distributors:
Diamond Comic Distributors - $3,906,549.94 (Tokyopop since mid Jan 2011)
Hatchette Book Group - $36,879,656.30 (Yen Press should be a portion of this debt)
Simon & Schuster - $33,757,444.75 (Viz Manga)
Random House - $33,461,061.80 (Del Rey Manga)
Harper Collins - $25,793,450.63 (Tokyopop, before the change to Diamond)
Macmillan - $11,434,306.30 (Seven Seas)

Deep in the hole...

That's alot of **** money they owe to each company. Isn't that just a few companies that they owe!? Regular magazine publications, novels,overpriced cds, kids books,leather seats....coffee and sugar!?!?

I looked at the Washington post article...138 stores are guaranteed to be closed. More bad news, that's not even 30% + stores.

It's gotta be a big "WTF" moment in book store history. This is just the preliminaries and it's not even Halftime yet...

*kicks a can*

This might be far worse when Media Play closed their doors...

*yells* Timberrr~
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Hiyugi wrote:
Bad for Borders? More like bad for publishers...

nyarine wrote:
My closest store in Tucson is closing. Now I gotta go across town for the other (larger) store.

Some figures on how much Borders owes publishers and distributors:
Diamond Comic Distributors - $3,906,549.94 (Tokyopop since mid Jan 2011)
Hatchette Book Group - $36,879,656.30 (Yen Press should be a portion of this debt)
Simon & Schuster - $33,757,444.75 (Viz Manga)
Random House - $33,461,061.80 (Del Rey Manga)
Harper Collins - $25,793,450.63 (Tokyopop, before the change to Diamond)
Macmillan - $11,434,306.30 (Seven Seas)

Deep in the hole...

That's alot of **** money they owe to each company. Isn't that just a few companies that they owe!? Regular magazine publications, novels,overpriced cds, kids books,leather seats....coffee and sugar!?!?

I looked at the Washington post article...138 stores are guaranteed to be closed. More bad news, that's not even 30% + stores.

It's gotta be a big "WTF" moment in book store history. This is just the preliminaries and it's not even Halftime yet...

*kicks a can*

This might be far worse when Media Play closed their doors...

*yells* Timberrr~

With the giant and I mean giant amount of money they owe (and I bet there is even more money they owe) I am actually surprised Borders hasn't yet filed for chapter seven or didn't file for chapter seven right away. That is a ton of money that is owed and let's be frank, Borders might sell some good books, but with the amount they owe, it could take months, maybe even more to pay all of their debt off.

I feel for the employees, because due to the poor management/leadership, they ultimately have to pay the price. Which I can understand why some of them feel that isn't fair that they have to pay for someone Else's utterly foolish mistakes. That is why when bought my very last Borders items (the store closest to me is closing down) I didn't rub in their faces that they won't have a job soon. One because even I think that is rude and two because the remaining emplyoees already realize that they won't have a job soon.

I am all for comedy and such, but there truly is no point is telling someone that the company that they have worked for several years/decades will no longer be there. It truly does suck and I feel bad for them because there is nothing that can be done to fix that at this point. Well over 138 stores will be shut down and it's likely that more may follow.

But at least there will always be online shops like Amazon and Ebay.
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
wow, practically no stores left in all of central florida..

well with gas prices this high, I've stopped going to stores only to be disappointing that they don't have the books I want in stock.
Since I also don't really have a car yet, I just get all things shipped to me.
Firousi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
stonehand wrote:
Why were some stores closed and others weren't? Simple. Borders looked mainly 3 things.

1) How long was the lease for? If it was a long lease, that was a strike against you.

2) How much was the rent/lease for the store, and would the landlord negotiate a lower rate. If the lease was high, and the landlord wouldn't come down on the rate, that was a strike.

3) What were their sales/ revenue like. If a store was losing money, it was gone. Many of the stores on the closing list were on a previous list that had been circulated a couple of years ago as problem stores. They were losing money big time.

The stores that they are closing, according to filings and other reports, were losing over 3 million dollars a month, I believe. You just can't have those kind of losses and survive.

I can attest to number 3. I was in the Oklahoma City store today to pick up some manga (20% off at this moment) and ran into a worker there that I have known for years and she told me that with this closing sale, they will make what the company wanted them to make in sales for 2010!!! I thought business was slow the times I have been in that store, but to hear it really brings it home just how bad this economy is. I can say that I'm a part of it because of rising gas prices, I had to resort to online buying to save a little $$$
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Mine started the close-out sale today. Parking is piss-poor at our location, so I just parked a little ways away and walked.

The lines were long, as I'm sure everyone else is experiencing. The employees were overwhelmed. I really hope that they're able to find some new jobs after all this crap is over with. This is depressing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
The Borders Store Locator now lists all stores which are closing in the search results.

Amazingly, it appears none of the 6 stores within a 30 minute drive of me are closing.

Each of the 6 stores are in a medium size cities with a comunity college, state college, and/or university in their general vicinity.
I wouldn't doubt that fact played a significant part in the decision to keep those stores open.
Firousi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
The Borders Store Locator now lists all stores which are closing in the search results.

Amazingly, it appears none of the 6 stores within a 30 minute drive of me are closing.

Each of the 6 stores are in a medium size cities with a comunity college, state college, and/or university in their general vicinity.
I wouldn't doubt that fact played a significant part in the decision to keep those stores open.

I think that was a factor too because in Oklahoma, there were 4 Borders stores. They are closing the store in Oklahoma City and one of the two stores in Tulsa. There are universities around OKC but the OKC store was not close enough to Oklahoma City University to really make a difference. The store remaining open in Tulsa is near TU and ORU and the one in Norman is a gimme to remain open because that is where the University of Oklahoma is and that store does a slammin' business. I would go to the store in Norman if it wasn't quite a drive for me.
Farix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote
Even though it was not on the original filling of stores to be closed, I just got a email that my local store (Mount Hope, WV) will be closing. I don't know about the other four stores in West Virginia (Charleston, Barboursville, Parkersburg, and Bridgeport). Does anyone know of an updated list that I can check?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Went to the store in Dearborn, MI yesterday. The snow kept a large crowd away but they'd begun Clearance a few days ago. They had no bags and offered us a trash bag for 1 manga.

The employees were stacking furniture. Most sections had been entirely decimated already. The manga section was surprisingly intact.
It wasn't a sale really- 20%-40% off. But I did get OHC vol 15.

I really hope they can get things together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7