• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece at Viz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:

What are you talking about? Viz DOES care about anime fans. Their treatment of Naruto in terms of the dubbing and the DVD releases is what any fan would have wanted. And what the hell do you mean Naruto is "insanely inferior." It's good thank you very much. And those yearly releases are said to be 13-episode boxets. I find that much easier on my wallet and on my shelf than single 4-episode DVDs not to mention the convenience.

Wow, so it's going to be twelve years before uncut Naruto DVDs catch up to the point where the show is now?

As someone who's not a fan of One Piece, I'm lucky that this whole mess doesn't effect me, but one thing to consider: Maybe 4kids has taken note of the numerous pirate fansub groups that have continued to release OP episodes and their download statistics--I wouldn't be surprised if at least 25,000 people had a complete copy of the show up to now, and that's a lot of potentially lost sales if you're running a business. Sure, some hardcore fans will support a show by buying DVDs to replace their fansubs, but given the massive backlash for the OP treatment, I don't think 4kids is counting on a massive outpouring of love when the DVDs come out. Their reasoning might be something like: "Well, we can sell edited dub DVDs to kids/their parents, but the hardcore teenaged/20something fans are saying, 'We hate you 4kids and we're going to download fansubs.' What's the point of an unedited release?"

Who knows, maybe we'll see a lot of R4 imports and all-region DVD players/flashed firmware as a substitute.
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote
And I was going to watch One Peace... v_v

Anyway, everything I've learned from school (film major) says it doesn't take many dvd sales to re-coup your investment in the dvd's themselves (the dvd itself, not the costs of intellectual property, they already paid for that anyway). The biggest problem is getting them into the store. There is only so much shelf space, and Target/Walmart (40% of dvd sales)/K-mart/Suncost etc. only want things that will sell. Maybe we can talk them into doing it for pre-order on the internet only? If they get so many pre-sold, they might go for it... (Nice dream...) I think Animemgo does this alot...

I'm guessing the biggest problem is that they dubbed the show in english after they edited the picture, which means for a dual language dvd, there would be huge spaces of english dialogue missing. (It wouldn't match up) They won't want to commit to dubbing what's basically two versions of the show. They could release japanese only, but we're talking about 4kids, that's not what they do.

Maybe viz would do it, but they can't? I know viz has been a problem company for years. (I wasn't really around then, but I've read over some old Trish Lodox (is that sp right, it was their translator?) arguments. I also wonder how much the fact that they partnered with ShoPro affected their Naruto release.

There is one more reason (don't get me wrong, I'm not defending them, just trying to understand...) that they would actively not want uncut versions. Angry letters from stupid parents who somehow buy or even hear about the uncut dvd. I don't think they want people (main stream parents) to even know it's been edited. (As seen on TV!) This is because image is everything, and having an uncut version available might turn parents off. 4kids does not want to risk any chance of being asoicated anime, which as a whole has a "not (4)kid friendly" image in most of america. They fight this by turning anime into 100% made in America (Canada?) cartoons for kids. They try to drop the anime out of the animation. This of course means they don't care what kind of image I (Male 20ish, student) have of them. But with a name like 4kids it does not come as a surprise.

Anyway, all this leads me to weep when 4kids gets a show.

/end can of worms
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:12 am Reply with quote
Not surprising at all. 4-Kids is clearly not targeting the fan base at all. Take my advice, just download it or buy an H.K. or if you have the recources get the DVD's straight from Japan. If certain studios don't want us to download fansubs then they should release the anime properly. 4-Kids has made so many bad decisions with One Piece that it's almost as if they deliberately wanted to piss people off. It's like "Cardcaptors" and Escaflowne all over again. I absolutley refuse to spend a penny on the American distribution.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:40 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:

What are you talking about? Viz DOES care about anime fans. Their treatment of Naruto in terms of the dubbing and the DVD releases is what any fan would have wanted. And what the hell do you mean Naruto is "insanely inferior." It's good thank you very much. And those yearly releases are said to be 13-episode boxets. I find that much easier on my wallet and on my shelf than single 4-episode DVDs not to mention the convenience.

Wow, so it's going to be twelve years before uncut Naruto DVDs catch up to the point where the show is now?

As someone who's not a fan of One Piece, I'm lucky that this whole mess doesn't effect me, but one thing to consider: Maybe 4kids has taken note of the numerous pirate fansub groups that have continued to release OP episodes and their download statistics--I wouldn't be surprised if at least 25,000 people had a complete copy of the show up to now, and that's a lot of potentially lost sales if you're running a business. Sure, some hardcore fans will support a show by buying DVDs to replace their fansubs, but given the massive backlash for the OP treatment, I don't think 4kids is counting on a massive outpouring of love when the DVDs come out. Their reasoning might be something like: "Well, we can sell edited dub DVDs to kids/their parents, but the hardcore teenaged/20something fans are saying, 'We hate you 4kids and we're going to download fansubs.' What's the point of an unedited release?"

Usually in that case, the company SUES the fansub group. Because if Little Johnny 4Kids goes online and finds Uncut One Piece fansub group X, and then gets all his One Piece from Group X, that cuts into 4Kids profits in a way that they would deem unacceptable.

So I'm pretty sure that the fansubbers aren't being seen as an alternative.
SetaGinny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:52 am Reply with quote
Uh, this message was VERY poorly worded and VERY misleading.

Viz is not in charge of releasing DVD uncuts of One Piece - One Piece is being done by 4Kids. 4Kids DVD releases always go through Funimation (such as Yugi-Oh) Viz has NOTHING to do with the anime release of One Piece and therefore would NOT have any plans to release uncuts. The only thing they are in charge of is the manga.

When I spoke to several of the English voice actors for the cast, they said the prospects of an uncut dub were likely. If you want to know the answer about "will there be uncuts for One Piece?" ask Funimation.
SetaGinny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:04 am Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
One Piece is such an utterly and completely lost-cause in this country, it really makes me cry.

And it also actually makes me appreciate *to death* the DBZ situation when I take a step back and look at the company FUNimation has become from 1995-2005. I'll take mid/late-90's FUNimation (and Gen's wacky comments) over this nonsense any day of the week.

VegettoEX, you're a reliable source of information - does Viz really have the rights to the One Piece uncut DVD release? To the best of my knowledge, that's Funimation's department, and Viz has nothing to do with it (unless something happened I don't know about.

But yes, no uncut One Piece would be a total and utter waste of an awesome series. Let's hope it's not lost!
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quote
No uncut One Piece? The dub is *so* bad! I wanted to see it uncut. Sad

Tammy
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Wait..so does this mean there will be an English dub only DVD release of Naruto and then a Japanese language only DVD? Dang...I like my bilingual DVDs. Now if I want both versions I'll have to spend twice as much on what's already going to be an expensive habit to feed. *pout* And the Japanese language is only going to come out once a year? Bummer.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Geez... I have a thoreys about what might happen in the futre:

1. Someone might kill Alfred E. Kahn (Okay, it's a nickname my boyfriend and I came up for him... hope someone get's the joke), I mean it's bound to happen: Some crazed anime fan (possibly One Piece or Yu-Gi-Oh) stalks him in secret find out where he lives and then kills him. And his succesor understnds the demands and allows uncut DVDs. I'm not saying do it or that I'm going to it, I'm just saying it's highly porable it might happen.

2. A smart kid anime fan whoes dying makes a wish for uncut anime, not very probale but still possible.

3. Kahn dies from too much sneezing... sorry bad joke about how many people bad mouth him and the Japanese belilf on how someone istalking about you.

4. He finnaly gives into demands... why do I get the feeeling that the first one is more proable.

Man I just hope they do relese uncut One Piece sooner or later. Like what happened with Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball (eary both are Toei anime)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
SetaGinny wrote:
Uh, this message was VERY poorly worded and VERY misleading.

Viz is not in charge of releasing DVD uncuts of One Piece - One Piece is being done by 4Kids. 4Kids DVD releases always go through Funimation (such as Yugi-Oh) Viz has NOTHING to do with the anime release of One Piece.

Uh, you're wrong.

Viz is releasing / Distributing the One Piece DVDs for 4Kids. Cut versions, not the uncut versions.

As of right now Viz said that they aren't releasing uncut DVDs. This does not mean that 4Kids might let them, or someone else (FUNimation for example) release the uncuts in the future.

-t
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
4. He finnaly gives into demands... why do I get the feeeling that the first one is more proable.

I think the first one is possible, but then again, I surely hope some Executive at Toei manages to snap some common sense and think giving 4Kids Carte Blanche over a lucrative property is a bad idea. Given Toei's history about their properties, i'm uttery surprised that they haven't gone bankrupt yet.

I mean, this is the same company that demands a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon level release for Battle Royale. They know that the US market is the "Big Fish" of all Entertainment markets, and their haphazard forays would give even the major studios chuckles.
B33

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð wrote:
hikaru393 wrote:
if viz cared there would be an uncut version not shity 4kids crap.

True, but I'm waiting for 4Kids to crash and burn. Then, their licenses will be up for grabs for more competent companies like Geneon, Bandai, ADV, FUNimations, and Viz.

Also, I could care less about the DVDs since my finances won't be able to keep up with it (247 episodes and counting) and I'm happy with my fanscan mangas.

4kids is going down the drain... Notice their profits are at a steady DECREASE? 4Kids is losing money becuase of thier shitty dubs and the fact that they spend a lot of money, digitally altering everything...
SakuraPurinsesu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Hang onto your fansubs people... they'll come in handy. Always keep the fansubs for situations like these.
thebaron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The dub was horrible. Hopefully when no one buys more than handful of discs, that they might change their minds...
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
thebaron wrote:
The dub was horrible. Hopefully when no one buys more than handful of discs, that they might change their minds...

4Kids will probably assume that if the edited version can't sell, the uncut version won't be able to either.

Of course, they'll likely assume essentially the same thing if the edited DVDs DO sell, that people don't want uncut DVDs.

Tragic irony.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8