• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Risky Viz-ness

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phifedawg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
All I'm hearing from these guys is "blah blah blah marketing speak – suck our vizdicks" far worse than any other company reps you've had on.

I know right. Listening to marketing people talk about marketing is the worst. Theres some interesting stuff in there but I find it hard to listen to.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Wait, in what way have they screwed Tiger and Bunny?

I don't generally care, but they are two YEARS behind the zeitgeist on that one. Heck, if they had simply released ONE year after the broadcast they might have been able to capture some "Avengers" excitement and spillover.
Quote:
And if they're mainstream or bust the why did they complete titles like Nana, Honey and Clover, and Lagrange? Why license Blood Lad when even they said is more for core anime fans?

Nana is one of the best selling women's manga of all time. I don't know what numbers it did in the US, but the warning label IN THE ARTWORK that someone else griped about makes it clear that it's not being targeted to an otaku audience. I'll also note that it's entirely possible they got a directive from Japan on Nana. According to John at AnimeNation (AN's "Answerman") it was announced during the Japanese broadcast that it was getting a US release before anything was noted here in the US:
http://www.animenation.net/blog/2007/02/07/ask-john-will-the-nana-anime-be-released-in-america/

So far Viz has only released 12 episodes of Lagrange, I admit to being a bit surprised they even did THAT, but jury's still out on whether it will get a "complete" release.

"Honey & Clover" can easily be called an "outlier" in the GE999 vein, but two 13 episode sets is hardly a big release challenge. It's also being sold at a premium, with an MSRP of $60 per 13 episode set. (yes, you can get it for $30, but just saying) For comparison, "Strongest Disciple Kenichi" has an MSRP of $60 per 26 episode set. (both prices being for "DVD" set, does H&C have a BD release?)
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
Wait, in what way have they screwed Tiger and Bunny?

I don't generally care, but they are two YEARS behind the zeitgeist on that one. Heck, if they had simply released ONE year after the broadcast they might have been able to capture some "Avengers" excitement and spillover.
Quote:
And if they're mainstream or bust the why did they complete titles like Nana, Honey and Clover, and Lagrange? Why license Blood Lad when even they said is more for core anime fans?

Nana is one of the best selling women's manga of all time. I don't know what numbers it did in the US, but the warning label IN THE ARTWORK that someone else griped about makes it clear that it's not being targeted to an otaku audience. I'll also note that it's entirely possible they got a directive from Japan on Nana. According to John at AnimeNation (AN's "Answerman") it was announced during the Japanese broadcast that it was getting a US release before anything was noted here in the US:
http://www.animenation.net/blog/2007/02/07/ask-john-will-the-nana-anime-be-released-in-america/

So far Viz has only released 12 episodes of Lagrange, I admit to being a bit surprised they even did THAT, but jury's still out on whether it will get a "complete" release.

"Honey & Clover" can easily be called an "outlier" in the GE999 vein, but two 13 episode sets is hardly a big release challenge. It's also being sold at a premium, with an MSRP of $60 per 13 episode set. (yes, you can get it for $30, but just saying) For comparison, "Strongest Disciple Kenichi" has an MSRP of $60 per 26 episode set. (both prices being for "DVD" set, does H&C have a BD release?)

Sounds like your making excuses to fit your hate. Honey and Clover came in 3 sets and does this look like premimum to you ? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=honey%20and%20clover

No the jury isn't out on Lagrange because they already announced the next set for October. I mean your saying three box sets is not a big release challenge yet surprised and claimed they might not even put out 13 more episodes

Face it, they haven't stopped releasing a show since Monster which shows signs of improvement
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Sounds like your making excuses to fit your hate. Honey and Clover came in 3 sets and does this look like premimum to you ? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=honey%20and%20clover

1. I said H&C can be an "outlier", aka, there are ALWAYS exceptions, but whatever
2. I ALSO said it could be found for $30, I said MSRP is $60, and to make for a fair comparison I pointed out the other show I compared to ALSO MSRP's at $60, it just has twice the episode count. If you're charging the same price for half the content I consider that "a premium". I'm not saying it's not worth buying or that it's unreasonable, merely that it costs more (aka. sold at a "premium")
3. I pulled my info from this: anime#4975 I did not realize that H&C had a third set (that falls under H&C II in the encyclopedia), I'm not a big H&C (or josei) fan, "my bad".
Quote:
No the jury isn't out on Lagrange because they already announced the next set for October. I mean your saying three box sets is not a big release challenge yet surprised and claimed they might not even put out 13 more episodes

I never claimed they won't put out the rest, I'm just saying if you have a history of sometimes only giving me part of what you promise and with the latest delivery you've given me half of something, I don't think it's unreasonable to say "the jury's out" on your delivery capability before the other half is DELIVERED.

I will also note that less than two years ago, Viz killed the print version of Shounen Jump (understandably) and there's this quote (from this site) from the announcement of that:
Quote:
Regarding those who have just renewed their subscriptions to the print Shonen Jump, Uyloan said that for those who have more than 6 months left on their subscriptions, Viz will offer them a free year subscription to Shonen Jump Alpha. It isn't automatic, however, and Uyloan said that subscribers should go to the subscriber section of Viz's Shonen Jump website.

So, yeah, in my opinion you deserve some skepticism when you not only drop a magazine for which you'd still been taking subscriptions, but you only offer a replacement (not refund) on another platform (that the customer might not have) and that ONLY if the CUSTOMER goes through extra effort to find it.
animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2011/new-york-comic-con/21

Again, I'm not saying Lagrange WON'T be released, I'm merely saying it's silly to use a PENDING release as proof that a company with a history of not following through is going to follow through.
rokusaburo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry guys but the wind noise, bubbling noises, A/C going on and off, echo, voice level mismatch, etc., makes for an unusually distracting Anncast.
I had hoped you could've fixed these. I can understand sirens and airplanes, but children playing, cats, and various other noises in the past just detract from the message. Apologies if you don't have a studio, as I DO know you're trying and up against deadlines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7