• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Terror in Resonance (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Hm. According to the kanji spelling, dolphins are "sea pigs." Learn something new every day...

(removed spoiler tag)

Prior to part of the present generation, Japanese have been very hostile to dolphins. They considered them basically pests that interfered with fishing and something that ought to be exterminated.

Even today Japan hosts one of the few whaling fleets left on the ocean.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 3

I get it now, the whole purpose of what they are doing is spoiler[to get attention, they want to get all the eyes and brightest minds on them so that they will find out about the horrors of the facility]. If they just spoiler[told the authorities it might actually get swept under, not believed, or perhaps there are people high up involved]. They want to make spoiler[sure that the truth gets out, for that they need a good detective].

I really hope that's not the case, I couldn't possibly think of a worse way to try and get it exposed... Oh crap it's so gonna be the case, that's so dumb, aren't the main character supposed to be smart?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I really hope that's not the case, I couldn't possibly think of a worse way to try and get it exposed... Oh crap it's so gonna be the case, that's so dumb, aren't the main character supposed to be smart?

Actually it makes sense to me. Nobody is saying it is a good option, just better than any others.

It is sort of like the situation that Edward Snowden faced. Going through "proper channels" gets you nowhere. The harder you press the harder they press back and they have a lot more power to ruin you rather than the other way around. So instead he did the "irresponsible" thing that some people call "traitorous." Yet what he did made even people who hate his guts to admit that without him doing that nobody would have been talking about what the government was doing. Anyway that's the premise being used by Sphinx in the story here.

The story line of TIN also reminds me a bit of Dark Angel which was a live-action series featuring the unforgivably sexy Jessica Alba. If you want stupid plot developments just go watch that. In fact you could use that to point to when someone says anime stories are often too stupid. Almost none of them are worse than that.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Actually it makes sense to me. Nobody is saying it is a good option, just better than any others.

It is sort of like the situation that Edward Snowden faced. Going through "proper channels" gets you nowhere. The harder you press the harder they press back and they have a lot more power to ruin you rather than the other way around. So instead he did the "irresponsible" thing that some people call "traitorous." Yet what he did made even people who hate his guts to admit that without him doing that nobody would have been talking about what the government was doing. Anyway that's the premise being used by Sphinx in the story here.

No, it's… it's not even remotely close, he collected the information and then he send them to journalist, call him what yo want but he's no terrorist. For it to be close he would have needed to like, blow up the empire state building or something and then sat there hoping a good cop would show up and then maybe stumble unto the NSA scandal. Heck in that situation the NSA would have been useful in stoping the terrorist act, so even if it was reveal they could easily point to why there needed.

It's just dumb on all level, if they can get into a high security facility, then shouldn't then be able to get into the secret facility and collect information on it, no need to blow anything, or into the government building and collect info there. Or they could have just bombed the first place and then second video they would straight up say the location of the secret facility on there video. Or any number of way that doesn't involve turning themselves into public enemy. If anything there only making it easier for the people behind the facility to sweep it under the rug, say the detective does find the info, they'll just claim the terrorist planted the false info, who is the population gonna trust? The respectable government or the terrorist who literally blew up a bunch of building?

Last edited by meiam on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
^
Well if my theory is along the right lines, then chances are sending to the media is something that would not work. They might not have the evidence they would need from that place and getting in would be harder for them than getting radioactive materials, they would not get believed, and if they were then perhaps certain officials quieten it. They are making an as big splash because it can not be swept under, those who might do it may not even realise the plan to shed light on the facility.

They have not killed anyone, they have targeted two government buildings, and if the ones running the facility turn out to be government, a government that kidnapped them and treated them like objects, then it can be a little warranted. The reason I am thinking cover-ups was actually what was brought up in the episode about the detective getting sent to archives because he tried to bring down the government official. He apparently let it go because he had family, and if it comes to pass that the number people consider themselves family, then they consider their act trying to protect them.

This is only a theory so far, and I could be way off base, but in my opinion it does match up with what I have seen so far.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
^
Well if my theory is along the right lines, then chances are sending to the media is something that would not work. They might not have the evidence they would need from that place and getting in would be harder for them than getting radioactive materials, they would not get believed, and if they were then perhaps certain officials quieten it. They are making an as big splash because it can not be swept under, those who might do it may not even realise the plan to shed light on the facility.

They have not killed anyone, they have targeted two government buildings, and if the ones running the facility turn out to be government, a government that kidnapped them and treated them like objects, then it can be a little warranted. The reason I am thinking cover-ups was actually what was brought up in the episode about the detective getting sent to archives because he tried to bring down the government official. He apparently let it go because he had family, and if it comes to pass that the number people consider themselves family, then they consider their act trying to protect them.

This is only a theory so far, and I could be way off base, but in my opinion it does match up with what I have seen so far.

Oh I completely I agree, I knew the cop getting send to the archive was gonna be related to the facility but I didn't think that the bombing would be related to it (cause it's so incredibly counter productive, move over Shiroe, there are new kings in bad plan land, needlessly complicated and counter productive for the cherry on top), but now that you said it make complete sense, very good guess, I'd say I'm 70% sure that's what gonna happen. Now it make sense as in, "that's what the writer would do", but as far as it being a rational plan…
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:18 am Reply with quote
Last night I finally watched Barefoot Gen. Then this morning watched episode 3 of TiR. As you can imagine, the revelation that L, er, I mean, Detective Archives grew up in Hiroshima had added "oomph."

I'm getting impatient for some Lisa development. She's bullied and her mom is a clingy freak and her life sucks. Got it. Can we move on, please?

Anyway, I remain interested in this show, for sure. Can't wait to see where things go.

HaruhiToy wrote:
...the unforgivably sexy Jessica Alba.

I'd be prepared to forgive her sexiness, but only if she (do not read spoiler unless you are 18 or older) spoiler[sat on my face.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I'm getting impatient for some Lisa development. She's bullied and her mom is a clingy freak and her life sucks. Got it. Can we move on, please?

If I see one more scene of Lisa's mom yelling at her or texting her furiously, I might have to stop watching this show. That's how bad that particular aspect has gotten. The rest of it still holds my interest.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

If I see one more scene of Lisa's mom yelling at her or texting her furiously, I might have to stop watching this show. That's how bad that particular aspect has gotten. The rest of it still holds my interest.

Did both of you miss the fact that Lisa ran away from home in this episode?

Don't worry -- no more mental case mom. Maybe you guys would have preferred a Lisa-goes-all-stabby scene.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
Sure I noticed that. Now, if we can get some scenes were she isn't just morosely accepting being bullied at school, we're away to the races. And yeah, I would have much preferred Stabby Lisa. She desperately needs to hang out with Momoka from Survival Game Club! for some pointers on how to deal with peeps who get in your face.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sure I noticed that. Now, if we can get some scenes were she isn't just morosely accepting being bullied at school, we're away to the races.

I think it would make more sense for her not to go to school at all for the moment. If her mother wanted to find her, that would probably be one of the first places she'd look, so going there would kind of defeat the purpose of running away in the first place.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Let's face it, she's probably going to end up working in a maid cafe in Akihabara by day and as a hostess near a "love hotel" by night.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Those two sure are smart.
They knew how to cover their tracks.
Still, looks like not all of them.
Another riddle and another bomb.
Seems like we get 1 bomb per episode.
Guess 12 has a heart after all.
This time the bomb were police documents of a bombing from the past.
Didn't quite expect that, but it sure was a nice touch.]
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I already regret my decision to watch this show when it's airing. Having to wait an entire week for a new episode has become very painful. I'd watch it all tonight if I could. Too late to stop now.

The music was especially excellent this episode. The melancholic score playing when the police were getting ready to spoiler[storm the hideout], the song playing during the spoiler[bike ride] of Twelve and Lisa, wonderfully reflecting Lisa's feelings while they were spoiler[laughing]. That whole scene was pretty great. The show can be a bit unsubtle at times (Nine: "spoiler[You should have sacrificed your queen.]"), but that's complaining about first world problems, really. And I dig chess analogies, anyway, so no problem there.

I love how they're building up the Oedipus theme. In the beginning I was expecting a different mythology being used for every riddle, but the fact that they're sticking to Oedipus nicely links the story to the mythology on different levels. spoiler[Antigone]'s name was already mentioned (or, rather, typed) this episode. Fond high school geek memories regarding that play aside, Lisa getting into civil disobedience sees me hopefully looking into her future development.

The spoiler[sins of the parents] has been a (or the) big theme since the get go, of course. If we continue with the Theban plays, I really hope Shibazaki will not end up as the tragic survivor. Being from Hiroshima, he already has something of that to him, though.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I too have complained about Lisa's character, but spoiler[ that scene with bike was perfect. Too bad that right after it, she had to suffer from anime disease.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 25