• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Comic Artist and His Assistants Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
When problem posts/users make a ruckus, I deal with every single trace of it. Even if there was some semblance of rational argument over a different topic for a fraction of the total discussion, the rest of it had definitely de-railed the thread enough that I felt it necessary to get rid of any-/everything possible, so people not be reminded of it.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
First post for me on this site, and its gonna be a hum-dinger!!

I'm not sure I understand the hate on this title? It was aimed at a generally male oriented audience, it was light hearted and yes it was funny...... SHOCK!!

I read the review, then re-read it and got the distinct impression the PC police were at work.

I think this show acheived what it set out to be.. if a panty flash is too much for you to handle then there are WAY too many titles you won't be able to handle.... best quit now before you come across the fapping shinji/asuka scene in Eva and your head explodes...

Ok with the funnies out of the way..

In Summary...
Not a great series, but not a bad one either.
In comparision with most of the forgettable titles currently coming out each season this one is surprisingly memorable.

Have at it folks...
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
First post for me on this site, and its gonna be a hum-dinger!!

I'm not sure I understand the hate on this title? It was aimed at a generally male oriented audience, it was light hearted and yes it was funny...... SHOCK!!

I read the review, then re-read it and got the distinct impression the PC police were at work.

I think this show acheived what it set out to be.. if a panty flash is too much for you to handle then there are WAY too many titles you won't be able to handle.... best quit now before you come across the fapping shinji/asuka scene in Eva and your head explodes...

Ok with the funnies out of the way..

In Summary...
Not a great series, but not a bad one either.
In comparision with most of the forgettable titles currently coming out each season this one is surprisingly memorable.

Have at it folks...

One of these days, people will stop using "political correctness" as the big enemy to "writing" or whatever, and I'll probably understand why people fall to it as an excuse. Until then... I have no idea why you think political correctness is a factor in Carl's panning of this show.

It's not that it isn't "PC", it's that it's got a very creepy attitude towards sexual harrassment in the workplace. Eva gets a pass because it puts effort into pointing out that Asuka and Shinji are messed up and their conflicts stem from their mutual problems. Comic Artist plays it off as harmless fun--and that's a messed-up attitude to have towards sexual harassment.
Hektor6766

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Quote:
No one is treated or portrayed well in this series.

Thank you. That's all I needed to know.

Maison Ikkoku-Maison Ikkoku!-had an attempted rape scene early in the story, but Takahashi had enough regard for the characters (and respect for the reader) to redeem them.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Here's the problem with your line of thought: when we're talking about, say, Bronies, "gamers", or other fandoms, we're talking about toxic groups. We're talking about people who cry foul for being called out for making jokes out of sexual harrassment, or for actually sexually harrassing women, or for generally being uber-unpleasant. The "NOT ALL X" argument is intolerable because when it comes to non-toxic Bronies or whatever, they're saying "Well, I don't really have much to do with Princess Molestia, don't lump me in with them!". Except that they don't do much to fix what is toxic behavior.

With feminists? Lots of talk is made about "feminist extremists" and their strange, hurtful ways and how they devalue feminist arguments... except that they tend to be unfounded or anecdotal. The worst people can come up with tend to be very silly Tumblr posts that are danged far-removed from Feminism in the same way that playing Cribbage is far removed from playing Magic: The Gathering.

That sounds like it's really just falling into the same extremities trap again, downplaying any extremities on your side as anecdotal or strawmen, while extremities on the opposing side are all factually legitimate. I'm a "gamer", but I don't see why I have to be associated with some subculture of gaming you find toxic even if I've never interacted with them. Meanwhile, you don't have to be associated with Tumblr or any of your extreme groups? Why? Because you say so? What makes one group have to associate with their subculture but another group doesn't? There's no legitimate reason that doesn't come down to rule changing to help your argument. We're all human beings and in the same group at the end of the day, but you're trying to sect people off into little clans and play favorites like this is some political parliament.

If you call a fan of a show or a gamer out for saying "well I don't do that so why are you lumping me in with them?" then how come people can't do the same to you or other groups? Do you actively do anything to "fix" the behavior of your groups? Why should anyone be responsible for fixing the behavior of someone they've never met or encountered before like it's their job? What kind of logic does that make?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Comic Artist plays it off as harmless fun--and that's a messed-up attitude to have towards sexual harassment.

That is a messed up idea towards comedy in general, plain and simple. If you continue with that line of thinking, you can say the same about death, that is a way too serious to be laughed at. TBT here in Mexico we laugh at death and even have a day in the calendar for that. Maybe you are trying to say that The Comic Artist and His Assistants is an apology towards sexual harassment, but again that is a messed up attitude, after watching it I got a good laugh, never crossed my mind the idea of "hmm, let's harass some ladies at the workplace since it looks like fun" the same I do not go punching people after playing some Street Fighter video game.

Does this means that everybody will feel this series is funny? Of course not, comedy is a very tricky genre; but some people will do.

What I think no one has addressed about this review is that it is no secret that this series was done with a low budget, relatively newbie voice actors, 15 minutes segments, simple shading/backgrounds, etc. Just like in hollywood you have movies with blockbuster budgets (titanic, the avengers, etc.), normal movies and B movies, in anime production is the same and this series would be in the B movies categories, new or average talent was involved in its creation. So I think the review was too harsh knowing full well this was done on the cheap.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

relatively newbie voice actors

Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, Saori Hayami, Rie Kugimiya and Yuka Iguchi are all esablished, big name VAs.
nosotros

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

What I think no one has addressed about this review is that it is no secret that this series was done with a low budget, relatively newbie voice actors, 15 minutes segments, simple shading/backgrounds, etc. Just like in hollywood you have movies with blockbuster budgets (titanic, the avengers, etc.), normal movies and B movies, in anime production is the same and this series would be in the B movies categories, new or average talent was involved in its creation. So I think the review was too harsh knowing full well this was done on the cheap.

Critics don't usually give free passes to things just because they were made on the cheap, and I don't think they should, either. A review is an evaluation of a final artistic product--the conditions under which it was made are largely irrelevant to the person making the evaluation, except maybe if they're curious about the creative process. It doesn't change the final outcome, though. There are lots of ways for things to go wrong while a show is being made--maybe they didn't have a big budget, or maybe one of the writers quit, or maybe they didn't get the airtime for the amount of episodes they wanted, so the show turns out bad. But, as far as the critic is concerned, it's still bad regardless of the reason, right? What sense would there be in saying "well, this show was downright unpleasant to watch, but since they didn't have a lot of money or any big talent while they were making it, we'll cut it some slack?"

Besides, there are far too many good works made on tiny budgets for that to even be a valid excuse for an anime's failure.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

relatively newbie voice actors

Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, Saori Hayami, Rie Kugimiya and Yuka Iguchi are all esablished, big name VAs.

My mistake, forgot to check this page, before posting. Mihari, Ashisu's sister and the chief editor VA are newbies but the main roles were indeed made by well known voice actors.

nosotros wrote:
Critics don't usually give free passes to things just because they were made on the cheap, and I don't think they should, either.

Under that logic gourmet food reviewers ought to visit your average hot dog stand as part of their job. Heck, well known movie critics should do reviews of anime movies outside of those oscar winners done by Miyazaki.
The simple truth is that most of the time they do not bother, or they only give a quick comment (one or two paragraphs), not a full review, unless they have a bottle of vitriol they want to smear on said work.

Quote:
Besides, there are far too many good works made on tiny budgets for that to even be a valid excuse for an anime's failure.

What is your measure for failure? On the comedy side, it made me laugh, so it was far from a failure. If you are talking about disc sales, would you mind sharing with us the list of 15 minutes (or less) animes that you would call a success? Because by the way you talk, the list must be quite long.
nosotros

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Quote:

What is your measure for failure? On the comedy side, it made me laugh, so it was far from a failure. If you are talking about disc sales, would you mind sharing with us the list of 15 minutes (or less) animes that you would call a success? Because by the way you talk, the list must be quite long.

I can't believe that I actually have to explain this, but we're not talking about my measure for failure (or yours, for that matter). We're talking about Carl's. He's the one reviewing the anime, and he clearly thinks that the anime in question is poorly written and shoddily made. You're attempting to argue that a responsible critic would have said something along the lines of "well, it's poorly written and shoddily made, but since it had production problems X, Y, and Z, we should embrace it as better than it actually is," and I'm simply saying that that's patently absurd and not something that any critic should do.

To be honest, if you can't address what I've already said, I don't think we're going to have a very fruitful discussion:

Quote:
A review is an evaluation of a final artistic product--the conditions under which it was made are largely irrelevant to the person making the evaluation, except maybe if they're curious about the creative process. It doesn't change the final outcome, though. There are lots of ways for things to go wrong while a show is being made--maybe they didn't have a big budget, or maybe one of the writers quit, or maybe they didn't get the airtime for the amount of episodes they wanted, so the show turns out bad. But, as far as the critic is concerned, it's still bad regardless of the reason, right?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
nosotros wrote:

I can't believe that I actually have to explain this, but we're not talking about my measure for failure (or yours, for that matter). We're talking about Carl's. He's the one reviewing the anime, and he clearly thinks that the anime in question is poorly written and shoddily made. You're attempting to argue that a responsible critic would have said something along the lines of "well, it's poorly written and shoddily made, but since it had production problems X, Y, and Z, we should embrace it as better than it actually is," and I'm simply saying that that's patently absurd and not something that any critic should do.

Nope, that is not the essence of what I meant. It is not that it is "poorly written", it would not be fun or would be boring if that were the case, it is just a simple script, like a hamburger. It is not that it had any production problems, it was just made with cheap ingredients (except for the voice acting), like a hamburger (with excellent pickles). It is not that we should embrace it better, poor thing, it is a fricking hamburger, not a fillet mignon with a bottle of wine. It is not bad, but it does not have high level quality.

Quote:
A review is an evaluation of a final artistic product--the conditions under which it was made are largely irrelevant to the person making the evaluation, except maybe if they're curious about the creative process. It doesn't change the final outcome, though. There are lots of ways for things to go wrong while a show is being made--maybe they didn't have a big budget, or maybe one of the writers quit, or maybe they didn't get the airtime for the amount of episodes they wanted, so the show turns out bad. But, as far as the critic is concerned, it's still bad regardless of the reason, right?

I think we will have to agree to disagree, because I do not think that 99.9% of anime is art. Again, you disregard that not all animes are made equal and therefore you can't chastise a can of coke for not being a bottle of wine. If the voice acting had been awful, if the animation or some still was wrong (I am looking at you SMC) if the background music made you cringe, if the the plot was unnecessarily complex and boring, if the special effects (if any) detracted from the feeling of the show, then we would call it bad, as it is, I would say Carl hated the comedy subject and chastised the low budget.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:
Comic Artist plays it off as harmless fun--and that's a messed-up attitude to have towards sexual harassment.

That is a messed up idea towards comedy in general, plain and simple. If you continue with that line of thinking, you can say the same about death, that is a way too serious to be laughed at. TBT here in Mexico we laugh at death and even have a day in the calendar for that. Maybe you are trying to say that The Comic Artist and His Assistants is an apology towards sexual harassment, but again that is a messed up attitude, after watching it I got a good laugh, never crossed my mind the idea of "hmm, let's harass some ladies at the workplace since it looks like fun" the same I do not go punching people after playing some Street Fighter video game.

Does this means that everybody will feel this series is funny? Of course not, comedy is a very tricky genre; but some people will do.

Here's the problem with using sexual harrassment as a joke, though: people are scarred by this, every day, in real life. This is something that people deal with, and have to live with. It's not a quirky joke for them, and neither is having to report it to authorities, nor having to deal with negative attitudes from people who think "they brought it on themselves".

Unless there's a good point to the joke, you really shouldn't use this because this is a big, touchy issue for people--much less base yourself off of the argument that "it's just a harmless joke".

There's a difference between a holiday that celebrates death with deep cultural ties and a show that makes a joke out of a crime that people suffer under daily and have a hard time finding support for.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Here's the problem with using sexual harrassment as a joke, though: people are scarred by this, every day, in real life. This is something that people deal with, and have to live with. It's not a quirky joke for them, and neither is having to report it to authorities, nor having to deal with negative attitudes from people who think "they brought it on themselves".

Unless there's a good point to the joke, you really shouldn't use this because this is a big, touchy issue for people--much less base yourself off of the argument that "it's just a harmless joke".

There's a difference between a holiday that celebrates death with deep cultural ties and a show that makes a joke out of a crime that people suffer under daily and have a hard time finding support for.

That's a horribly limiting requirement for comedy and humor. Have you seen "Blazing Saddles" or "The Producers" (Mel Brooks classics)? Those films run roughshod over all manner of painful issues (historical and personal).

Requiring there to be some obviously mechanical pedagogical purpose to the humor is really losing one of the strengths of humor to begin with. And transgressing "big, touchy issues" is one of the points of comedy.

I'm sure the reviewer of this show and the commenters supporting him won't agree with this statement, but here goes anyway: this show is utterly harmless and no real people were harmed in the animating of it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Sachiko2010 wrote:

That's a horribly limiting requirement for comedy and humor. Have you seen "Blazing Saddles" or "The Producers" (Mel Brooks classics)? Those films run roughshod over all manner of painful issues (historical and personal).

Requiring there to be some obviously mechanical pedagogical purpose to the humor is really losing one of the strengths of humor to begin with. And transgressing "big, touchy issues" is one of the points of comedy.

So you're saying this show is social satire on the level of Blazing Saddles or The Producers?

Everything that's trying to get a laugh is created equal?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Sachiko2010 wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:

I'm sure the reviewer of this show and the commenters supporting him won't agree with this statement, but here goes anyway: this show is utterly harmless and no real people were harmed in the animating of it.

True, but Blazing Saddles is smart. Witty, even, and trying to make a point about something. This show? From the admittedly very little I saw, it's dumb in a very "mindless entertainment" sort of way. It's not trying to make a point, or satirize anything, or trying to subvert expectations. It just plays things very, very straight.

If nothing else, that just seems quite boring.

As for harmless, obviously this isn't causing murders or riots in the street. But that's not the point. Carl points out that this show is very demeaning towards its female characters, and that it's not something he cares for--and that others who feel the same way will find little to enjoy in this show. I certainly felt the same way about the first episode. You, it seems, did not, and that's fine. But it also doesn't exclude the possibility that others, like Levitz9, won't find it enjoyable or even tolerable. Different strokes for different folks, and all that jazz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8