• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Moe Manifesto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
Here's the rub, though: Is it healthier to form a romantic connection with a fictional character, or to put oneself out into the dating world and face constant rejection from the opposite sex, breaking you down bit by bit? Because that seems to be what a lot of these people are facing.

WOW... You seem to have an incredibly narrow view of dating dude...
OF COURSE not everyones going to like you. You just have to learn to accept rejection and move on. You are not the only person who gets rejected (even completely sociable, physically attractive people get rejected. Just look at Robin Thicke). It's almost like people's perception of you vary from person to person.

In a planet of over a billion, if you seriously think there's not ONE person out there willing to give you the time of day, then you truly are lost TEAnubis.

You're essentially giving up on yourself and the world when you subscribe to this moe girlfriend lifestyle (atleast, that's how I see it)

Better start believing in yourself, because no one else will do it for you

You seem to think I'm talking about myself. I'm not.

We're talking Japanese otaku here. Specifically moe otaku. These people are generally outcasts and generally have little luck with women.

Me, I'm not one of those people. I am putting myself out there for a potential girlfriend, and though I'm a moe fan, I also live in America, am at the very least decent-looking, don't suffer from any social anxiety disorders, and have a great deal of charisma and self-confidence. And it's still not easy to find someone who I connect with and who connects with me.

Because I have empathy, however, and because I have perspective, I realize that, even though I have no compulsion to give up dating and live my life devoted to (the goddess) Kotonoha Katsura, it's probably a great deal more difficult for someone who lives in a place like Japan (Where 1: Conformity rules, and 2: Less and less people are dating anyway, among other cultural issues), or who suffers from social anxiety, or whose ostracism from society has broken down their self-confidence. I don't blame them for giving up. In their situation, they may very well have decided that giving up and loving an anime character is emotionally and psychologically healthier for them in the long run than going out there and having all that rejection erode their sense of self-worth would be, and I can't blame them for that.
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote

We're talking Japanese otaku here. Specifically moe otaku. These people are generally outcasts and generally have little luck with women.

Me, I'm not one of those people.

Are you aware that pretty much the entire "Anti-Moé Brigade" thing you've been railing about for years all boils down to "These people are generally outcasts and generally have little luck with women. Me, I'm not one of those people." And now, all you've done is shift the line a little bit further, so that you're on the reasonable side, not like those people. Because Japanese moe otaku are apparently all anti-social rejects who can't get any, but you're better than that.

This isn't empathy or perspective, nor is it truly "understanding". It's pure self-defence. It's no less hateful and harmful than the broadly negative stereotypes that people apply to moe fans all the time. The only difference is that "Japanese moe otaku" aren't here to speak up for themselves, and explain how they're actually good-looking well-adjusted people with healthy self-esteem too, whether they're looking for a "3D" partner or not. Perhaps they too will argue that they're not one of those people.

And this is basically the story of the entirety of anime fandom: defending their widely-misunderstood hobbies by pointing fingers and saying "at least I'm not one of those people."
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
relentlessflame wrote:

Me, I'm not one of those people.

Are you aware that pretty much the entire "Anti-Moé Brigade" thing you've been railing about for years all boils down to "These people are generally outcasts and generally have little luck with women. Me, I'm not one of those people." And now, all you've done is shift the line a little bit further, so that you're on the reasonable side, not like those people. Because Japanese moe otaku are apparently all anti-social rejects who can't get any, but you're better than that.

This isn't empathy or perspective, nor is it truly "understanding". It's pure self-defence. It's no less hateful and harmful than the broadly negative stereotypes that people apply to moe fans all the time. The only difference is that "Japanese moe otaku" aren't here to speak up for themselves, and explain how they're actually good-looking well-adjusted people with healthy self-esteem too, whether they're looking for a "3D" partner or not. Perhaps they too will argue that they're not one of those people.

And this is basically the story of the entirety of anime fandom: defending their widely-misunderstood hobbies by pointing fingers and saying "at least I'm not one of those people."

That's not what I'm saying at all, and I realize that you had to take the first part of my post out of context to make it look like it's what I'm saying.

Re-read my post (my entire post), and this time do it without trying to do this "gotcha!" thing where you try and prove me inconsistent by taking the first part of my post out of context with the rest of my post because the first part (not even continuing with the paragraph you simply cut the first sentence out of) is the only part of my post that makes me sound like what you're portraying me as.
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
That's not what I'm saying at all, and I realize that you had to take the first part of my post out of context to make it look like it's what I'm saying.

Re-read my post (my entire post), and this time do it without trying to do this "gotcha!" thing where you try and prove me inconsistent by taking the first part of my post out of context with the rest of my post because the first part (not even continuing with the paragraph you simply cut the first sentence out of) is the only part of my post that makes me sound like what you're portraying me as.

No, it isn't, though. You're not showing understanding or empathy, you're showing them pity while trying to rationalize why "you don't blame them" for being broken.

Because I have empathy, however, and because I have perspective, I realize that, even though I have no compulsion to give up dating and live my life devoted to (the goddess) Kotonoha Katsura, it's probably a great deal more difficult for someone who lives in a place like Japan (Where 1: Conformity rules, and 2: Less and less people are dating anyway, among other cultural issues), or who suffers from social anxiety, or whose ostracism from society has broken down their self-confidence. I don't blame them for giving up. In their situation, they may very well have decided that giving up and loving an anime character is emotionally and psychologically healthier for them in the long run than going out there and having all that rejection erode their sense of self-worth would be, and I can't blame them for that.

How is this rationalization any different than what people accuse moe fans of all the time? The only difference is that you've excluded yourself because you say you haven't given up yet. This isn't really some sort of glowing endorsement, like "these are mostly well-adjusted people who are doing what makes them happy, and we should be happy for them as long as they're not hurting others." It's a pity party: these people are ostracised victims of society with low self-esteem who give up on women and turn to 2D to protect their fragile hearts. Framed that way, very few reasonable people are going to agree that this is "emotionally and psychologically healthier for them in the long run." You make it sound like they need to get help. Like I said before, is the difference between "those people" and yourself really all that great? Couldn't there be a lot of Japanese moe otaku who are just like you? Other than your saying so, how are people going to recognize that you (or any other moe fan) are in fact not one of "those people?"

It seems to me that, under the guise of trying to show "perspective," you've only highlighted the central reason that people have been concerned all along, and I don't know that others will exclude you from the group just because you draw a different line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7