• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

That was a rather easy to digest, fun little episode... So much cuteness ahoy! spoiler[Yamato] is introduced to us as an apparent spoiler[Legendary ship, thanks to her rather impressive 46cm cannons. Nagato won't allow her out to sea though, due to the resources a ship of her size demands...] I think she's just jealous of her cannons. ^^

Yamato's swimsuit was really nice and so was Nagato's, but then her spoiler[talking really cutely with the squirrel] was funny, if not D'awwww.

Looks like a spoiler[Yuudachi episode] next week. Poi!
Meatwadsan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[The fleet's real enemy is going to be the bankers that come collecting since they just went bankrupt buying all that food.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Good times. The swimsuit service was a bit lacking, though, but I approve of the school swimsuits.

Building a super powerful weapon but being unable to use it kinda defeats the purpose. Poor spoiler[Yamato]. At least she got to have some fun.

spoiler[Nagato] you big softy Laughing More than that I love how spoiler[Mutsu] teases her.

Kinda not looking forward to next week. spoiler[I don't want Yuudachi to get her upgrade, I like her current design more!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

I wonder what Operation FS was supposed to be, which they kept talking about. Oh, it was a plan to invade Fiji, Samoa, and New Caledonia, with the plan to cut supply lines to Australia from the US.

I enjoyed it for the slice of life.
Meatwadsan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
According to the IJN's Tabular Record of Movements for Yamato:

spoiler[(This is just after the Battle of the Coral Sea occurred)

19 May 1942:
Departs Kure for battle training. The new light carrier JUNYO, under Captain (Vice Admiral, posthumously) Ishii Shizue (former CO of KASUGA MARU), almost sideswipes YAMATO.
23 May 1942:
Returns to Hashirajima.
27 May 1942:
YAMATO is deemed operational.

(Yamato then departs for the Battle of Midway)]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:11 am Reply with quote
Back to episode 7; With the Battle of the Coral Sea just played out, that makes the Abyssals the Americans and Australians. The Abyssals lost one "Wo" class carrier (the Lexington) and had the other carrier severely damaged (the Yorktown). One of the miracles of the Pacific Campaign was getting the Yorktown battleworthy for Midway. One of the strategic masterstrokes of the Allies at Midway was the cracking of the Japanese codes. The American fleet knew exactly what they were fighting while the Japanese believed the remnants of the American fleet were in Hawaii.

It's great to be the villains. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote
I imagine that them knowing their codes have been broken in this reality will change the outcome of future battles.

Prior to this show Yamato was one of two battleships I'd heard of (for obvious reasons). The other being Akagi, but only because she was in Strike Witches.

Thinking back to the swimsuits, I don't like elaborate 'sexy' suits like what Yamato and Nagato wore. They come off as ridiculous to me rather than sexy. Something like what Kitakami wore is preferable.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
However you look at it my anticipation is steadily growing as the series plays out.

World War 2 spoilers (from Wikipedia).
Operation MO: spoiler[Occupy the Australian territory of New Guinea, Thwarted by the Battle of the Coral Sea. As Fleet Girl Nagato said, "A tactical victory but a strategic defeat".]
Operation FS: spoiler[Occupy Fiji, Samoa and New Caledonia.]
Operation RY: spoiler[Invasion of Nauru and Ocean Island.]
Operation MI: spoiler[Battle of Midway.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I don't like elaborate 'sexy' suits like what Yamato and Nagato wore. They come off as ridiculous to me rather than sexy.

I disagree. I think Yamato's suit showed off her cannons to good effect.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Guess I just prefer simpler designs. There's also a bit of a disconnect when I wonder if such swimsuits are in character. Would the serious Nagato really wear something so revealing? Maybe Mutsu forced her into it.

Supposedly the whole navel district was at the base, so how come we saw so few of them? Shame Shoukaku was stuck in the docks and couldn't hit the beach, but that's okay because I still have my favourite piece of fan art of her Very Happy

On another topic, I know a lot of people come down hard on the "moe-ification" of these kinds of things but thanks to that I'm learning so much about stuff I never would have had an interest in otherwise.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Guess I just prefer simpler designs. There's also a bit of a disconnect when I wonder if such swimsuits are in character. Would the serious Nagato really wear something so revealing? Maybe Mutsu forced her into it.

Supposedly the whole navel district was at the base, so how come we saw so few of them? Shame Shoukaku was stuck in the docks and couldn't hit the beach, but that's okay because I still have my favourite piece of fan art of her Very Happy

On another topic, I know a lot of people come down hard on the "moe-ification" of these kinds of things but thanks to that I'm learning so much about stuff I never would have had an interest in otherwise.

Love that Shoukaku fan art. I've been discovering alot lately and while not canon, it brings out something special in each of the characters.

I have to agree with your last point. I know little about the Pacific Front of WWII, other than the main conflicts. We were only taught about the Western (European) Front, so having a show like Kancolle is quite interesting and in a way knowledgable. For example, taken from the ANN review-

spoiler[Apparently, the joke here is that the battleship Yamato is named after saw very little combat in World War II, despite being big and powerful and whatnot. The ship was known for having unusually comfortable living space for its crew, hence Yamato's annoyance at Kongou's constant hotel jokes. The story makes more sense with that historical context, but it also works reasonably well without it. Yamato's frustration over not having a chance to do her real job comes through either way, and the conflict is simple enough to resolve over the course of one episode.]

Now, I didn't know that originally but thanks to the way it was cleverly integrated into the last episode, that's another piece of Information I've learnt. Who knew history could be so kawaii?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Love that Shoukaku fan art. I've been discovering alot lately and while not canon, it brings out something special in each of the characters.

I've been particularly keen on Mutsu stuff lately. I'm usually not into big sister types, but in episode 4 I found her friendly demeanor and the way she held back her laughter at Kongou's antics to be incredibly charming. Her bit with the squirrel in this episode clinched it.

Shikiari wrote:
Who knew history could be so kawaii?

The dowside is that while reading about these battles I find my sympathies lie with the Japanese ships even though I know they were the "bad guys."
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The dowside is that while reading about these battles I find my sympathies lie with the Japanese ships even though I know they were the "bad guys."

Coincidence? I think not. But I'll wait to hear how the show ends up before I say that with complete confidence. Still, there is clearly some glamorizing of warships involved; in fact, the whole premise of this show makes me feel... uncomfortable. I mean, think about a series that moefizes German tanks. It all seems a little too... clean. Sanitized, maybe. But to each their own, I guess.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
Like I said before the ships themselves aren't inherently good or evil just like any weapon. It all depends on who uses them and for what.

And, well, it's not exactly hard to see Americans in a negative light Laughing
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
@Tuor_of_Gondolin,

I'm with you on having misgivings about the glamorising of weapons of mass destruction. It's so brazen, though. The sheer chutzpah has me in stitches at times. I'm not sure that's an appropriate response.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13