• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD BorN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
There's no way to know short of asking whoever's in charge of approvals on script adaptation. But a bad call is a bad call - my intention wasn't to say "you should be fine with this because the licensor said it was fine", it's "don't be so quick to blame this on a rogue funimation employee, all of this stuff goes through a heavy approvals process".

The idea that Americans get their hands on anime and screw up all the names via poor localization is ingrained in the mind of fandom and I try to disabuse people of that notion when I see it pop up. It just doesn't happen that way anymore.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
There's no way to know short of asking whoever's in charge of approvals on script adaptation. But a bad call is a bad call - my intention wasn't to say "you should be fine with this because the licensor said it was fine", it's "don't be so quick to blame this on a rogue funimation employee, all of this stuff goes through a heavy approvals process".

The idea that Americans get their hands on anime and screw up all the names via poor localization is ingrained in the mind of fandom and I try to disabuse people of that notion when I see it pop up. It just doesn't happen that way anymore.

But what if the names used differ in versions? Like, in the manga (translated by Yen Press), Rias' brother is named Sirzechs. Yet in the anime, he is subbed Sir Zechs. Wouldn't the licensors try to make it same in both, or what is going on here?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I see your point, but the subs come with Funi's logo stamped at the beginning so I don't think it is completely off to hold them accountable for the quality of the final product.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm really at a loss for why all of this is such a big deal. I can kind of understand it in the case of "Yubafy" vs. "Uberfy" in Punch Line, as the correct version does both clarify the nature of the power and make it sound less patently silly, but I don't get why "bilingual" vs. "booblingual" matters unless you're just being extremely particular about the subtitles sticking to what's said in Japanese. And even then, there are plenty of other occasions where the Japanese dub says a word in English but that word isn't actually used straight-up in the subtitles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm really at a loss for why all of this is such a big deal. I can kind of understand it in the case of "Yubafy" vs. "Uberfy" in Punch Line, as the correct version does both clarify the nature of the power and make it sound less patently silly, but I don't get why "bilingual" vs. "booblingual" matters unless you're just being extremely particular about the subtitles sticking to what's said in Japanese. And even then, there are plenty of other occasions where the Japanese dub says a word in English but that word isn't actually used straight-up in the subtitles.

Well, booblingual I wouldn't say is a big deal. It isn't like they translated fire station as library or something. Orphis I think is a much bigger deal because the original reference is now lost.

Specifically why this bugs me, yeah, definitely because it doesn't match what is heard. Booblingual doesn't really lose anything. It is just an inconsistent, not really justified change that no longer matches the audio. Those other cases where you hear a word and the subtitle uses something else bug me too, but I'm sympathetic to wanting to use another word to make the whole line flow better in english which I think is probably one of the main reasons that happens. However, in this case it is the name of an attack though so that excuse doesn't really work. It is more like a lot of older dvd releases where you'd hear one character say something short like a name with the subtitle giving you a whole sentence.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
It is more like a lot of older dvd releases where you'd hear one character say something short like a name with the subtitle giving you a whole sentence.

Really like to see specific examples cited on this, as I have a lot of older DVDs (in fact, I bought my first DVD player back in the late '90s specifically to buy/rent the earliest anime DVDs, as I knew that they were the trend of the future) and don't recall ever seeing this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with SilverTalon01 on this one, while "Booblingual" isn't that big of a deal, the deal with Ophis still bugs me. How could the licensors let a thing like this pass, I wonder? (Let alone, how could the people at Funi not understand that the name actually meant something...)
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Really like to see specific examples cited on this, as I have a lot of older DVDs (in fact, I bought my first DVD player back in the late '90s specifically to buy/rent the earliest anime DVDs, as I knew that they were the trend of the future) and don't recall ever seeing this.

Well, 'a lot' as in it wasn't incredibly rare not as in it was a problem with most things. Happened enough that it was kind of a running joke my room mate and I would laugh at, though we did watch a ton of anime in the dorm. Gundam was guilty of it for sure. If you mean specific episodes, I can't remember. I'm also not entirely sure what other series did it because sadly we had a lot of bootlegs (which I didn't realize weren't legit at the time) and I can't really count those. The gundam ones were an official release, and I'm pretty sure Bandai wasn't the only one to do it.

Zuwaiss wrote:
How could the licensors let a thing like this pass, I wonder? (Let alone, how could the people at Funi not understand that the name actually meant something...)

Probably because they had absolutely no idea it was a reference to something either. I mean even in a show with bible references everywhere, Ophis isn't that obvious. The LN actually said that is where it was from, but otherwise I'd have no idea. I'm admittedly not very familiar with the bible, but I doubt many Japanese licensors are either.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
It is more like a lot of older dvd releases where you'd hear one character say something short like a name with the subtitle giving you a whole sentence.

SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

If just gundam isn't specific enough, Zeta was very bad and from the start pretty much. I only have blurays on my shelf, and all of my dvds are boxed up along with all my old video games that I also don't really want to get rid of but doubt I'll ever actually use again. I mean I wouldn't really just watch one hoping to find a mistake anyway so if you want to call BS without a specific line, well ok.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Probably because they had absolutely no idea it was a reference to something either. I mean even in a show with bible references everywhere, Ophis isn't that obvious. The LN actually said that is where it was from, but otherwise I'd have no idea. I'm admittedly not very familiar with the bible, but I doubt many Japanese licensors are either.

That could be. Though I'm wondering, how did the english dub deal with the bible references? (For example, the part about God being dead)
If they went and changed them around, then I could understand Orphis, as to not make some heavily religious people rip their pants (You know, since God would be dead, but meanwhile, the serpent has ample time to wander around while looking like a little girl). If not, then it must have been the licensors.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Zuwaiss wrote:
That could be. Though I'm wondering, how did the english dub deal with the bible references? (For example, the part about God being dead)

You're scaring me. Some one please tell me we are past censored dubs...
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

You're scaring me. Some one please tell me we are past censored dubs...

I can't really help with that as a guy who thinks that most dubs sound inferior to subs, we require an expert here... Maybe you should ask Answerman, heh.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote
Zuwaiss wrote:
I can't really help with that as a guy who thinks that most dubs sound inferior to subs, we require an expert here... Maybe you should ask Answerman, heh.

I kinda just assumed that stopped when the original toonami got taken off the air. Even that stuff like Gundam W had uncensored dvds. It would really shock me if anyone other than maybe 4 kids censored their discs, especially something recent, but I'd rather not find out some of my stuff is censored, lol.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I kinda just assumed that stopped when the original toonami got taken off the air. Even that stuff like Gundam W had uncensored dvds. It would really shock me if anyone other than maybe 4 kids censored their discs, especially something recent, but I'd rather not find out some of my stuff is censored, lol.

Well, finding out would be easy, just have to switch audiotrack. Though given that the breasts and such are in full galore on the dvds and blu-rays, I think we can safely say that the dub wasn't censored, either. (Maybe.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10