• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akane Analyzes (Spoilerific).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
Ah...today was a good day. Instead of my usual schnitzel-and-fries baguette, I had a hot dog-and-fries baguette. To celebrate my good day, I'll have a Q&A session. Anyone? Please?
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Alright...

Q: What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
@Night fox

Normally, this is where someone would post the number "42". It is quite popular, after all. However, being the curious catgirl I am, I decided to ask someone else. Haruhi? Your thoughts?

[The answer is obviously twenty-four!]

Okay...Madoka?

[Umm...sorry. I'm not really good at math...]

Alright then? Tetsuo, your thoughts?

[How the hell would I know? I'm not some goody-goody two shoes.]

Alrighty. I guess the long and short of it is that the answer to life is entirely up to you. Strange, I thought I'd get more normal questions. Anyone else?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
H.B. is also among my favorite series (if not the favorite), I love it's atmosphere and the soundtrack is spetacular.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:21 am Reply with quote
...WHY ARE YOU BUYING CLOTHES AT THE SOUP STORE!?

Oh, hi guys. I was just...on the phone with someone, yeah. Someone. Let's move on.

Now, before I begin, I have two announcements. One is my standard acknowledgements towards Night fox and Jose Cruz for commenting. (Thanks, guys!) My second announcement is that I'm going to be posting a lot less frequently on the site due to real life circumstances. For one thing, I have to actually finish the school year over here. The second is that me and my family are planning a BIG move four to six months from now, and that's going to be eating up my time. So if you see a lot less from me overall, don't be worried. Yes, I'll still be posting week-to-week analyses unless specifically stating otherwise.

With that out of the way, let's take a look at School Rumble's "Boys and Girls"!

Hmm...are there spoilers? Okay, so I'm not sure if I should put up a spoiler warning or not for this show. It's a comedy, so spoiling stuff shouldn't really be that serious? Right? Oh, whatever, just go watch the first season.

First, the translated lyrics:

Boys are always chasing after girls,
All day long,
Always thinking about girls.
But, boys are after all a little stupid,
See, they don't seem to
Understand girls' feelings at all.
Hey, really, truly, idiot,
Let me tell you, idiot.
Yup, the most important thing in this world,
The thing you can never take for granted,
I think it's timing after all, isn't it?
Yup, even when saying "I love you",
Even when going on a date, no matter what you're anything,
Uu, even when kissing,
Even when saying goodbye, no matter when.
Yup, the most important thing in this world,
I think it's timing after all, isn't it?
Don't you think so?

Let's start with who is speaking here. We've obviously got ourselves a tsundere. Her opinion of boys in general is quite low, but she seems to have made an exception. Coupled with the fact that in the original Japanese, she addresses the boy with the uber polite "O-baka-san", I think we all know who's singing this.

[The one on the left, of course.]

Yes, this song is told from the point of view of Eri Sawachika, rich girl and heartbreaker of Yagami High. She has a front of aloofness, but inside, she's far more emotionally fragile. Due to her upper class background and lack of familial love, the ice queen has never really had to deal with emotions. So what happens when interacting with someone who isn't Tenma or Mikoto? Of course, she rejects them, as detailed by all the broken hearts from boys who tried confessing their love to them.

And then one day, Harima accidentally confesses to her. That's when, for the first time, Eri has to start dealing with her own emotions. For the rest of the first season, we watch as Eri and Harima slowly, slowly, grow closer together. What starts out as awkward silences and tense chemistry becomes a legitimate friendship and maybe more.

And isn't that what love is all about?

Well, that's all for today's VERY short analysis. Next time will be a character piece. A love interest is in order. How about-

[YOO HOO~]

Hi Misa. Yep, my next analysis will be focused on Misa Amane, and whether or not she's a good character. Thank you all for reading and remember to leave a comment below! See you then!

Today's Pimp of the Week is focused on a video called "history of japan" by bill wurtz. Have you ever wanted to know about the Name of Video? Well, know you can! Watch as the entire complex records of an Asian nation is abridged to nine minutes in a most hilarious way! It'll be the funniest video you've watched recently! Go ahead and see it on Youtube!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
What sort of big move are we talking about? Out of area? Out of country? Out of planet? Out of solar system? Out of body?

School Rumble remains one of my gf's favorite shows. I watched it with her not expecting as much. It looked like a knock off of other "zany high school" shows with over the top comedy gags. I have to say I wound up liking it more than I thought I would. I was also happy when things started to develop with Harima and Eri. While she's sweet I just never could get around to completely liking Tenma. So I was hoping that a Tenma x Harima pair didn't end up together at the end.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
School Rumble pissed me off.

I mean REALLY REALLY pissed me off.

I was rooting for Harima all the way; I thought it was adorable that he wanted to change for Tenma and they could have been so cute together.

I didn't like Eri with him at all; those two made no sense to me. They just don't fit together. I hated Yakumo too. But not as much as I hated Karasuma.
Worst anime character ever, in terms of "character".
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'd have to admit I fell for Yakumo as waifu bait when I first watched this show. I also liked Eri and thought Tenma was just too stupid for words. (Harima isn't much better in the scholastic department, but he does spoiler[write manga after all].) Even though I was decades out of high school when the show first aired, I still laugh out loud at some scenes like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TZTM9vl4aI (Where is Eri's hand, by the way?) That clip shows two of the best features of School Rumble, the casting of Takahashi Hiroki as Harima, and the terrific, if sometimes a bit over-used, musical score.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
School Rumble pissed me off.

I mean REALLY REALLY pissed me off.

I was rooting for Harima all the way; I thought it was adorable that he wanted to change for Tenma and they could have been so cute together.

I didn't like Eri with him at all; those two made no sense to me. They just don't fit together. I hated Yakumo too. But not as much as I hated Karasuma.
Worst anime character ever, in terms of "character".

See to me Tenma was just too brainless. I know that was her trope in the show but it just didn't work for me. Not as well as others who fit the same trope. I think Eri appreciated Harima more than Tenma ever could. I mean even if she noticed Harima and got with him if he had any brains he'd be looking over his shoulder wondering if she was double dipping behind his back with Mr No personality. So on that I agree with you. Again, I get the trope and character he was supposed to be but he didn't work at it. I think both Karasuma and Tenma's character tropes for me are the kind of characters that either work or they don't. Not a lot of middle ground. For me both didn't. So I gotta go with Eri. But to each their own.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, Tenma is COMPLETELY brainless. Anime hyper

But since she was the first girl Harima liked, I was fixated on the ship and I rooted for him.

His little manga episodes where he rescues her from Evil!Karasuma are too funny. Anime hyper
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
Hey everybody! So, I'd like to ask you guys to please keep this week's topic from derailing into a shipping war. I have no particular interest in who is kissing whom. (In fact, the only reason I brought up the Eri/Harima thing to begin with is because that's what I felt the song was suggesting.)

As for Psycho's question, we're heading back to the States. We've narrowed it down to two locations, but until my dad can find a job over there, all we know is that we're going to be living in the US by the end of the summer. I just wanted you guys to know ahead of time because I'm going to be pretty busy...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Our discussion was friendly and perfectly civil. Hardly turning into an argument let alone shipping war. But it's your thread so you don't want discussion on couples and who kissed who in School Rumble then fine.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, the thing about shipping is that most of the time, it tends to be one of the more common causes of flame wars. As soon as That One Guy shows up claiming X/Y is the Bestest Ship EVAR, another guy shows up with THEIR Bestest Ship EVAR and then it snowballs out of control. I have nothing against shipping (hell, I'll even reference a few of my own favorite pairings), but frankly, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
Well, I've got some goods news and bad news.

The Bad News

The Misa Amane post has been delayed to next week due to unforeseen circumstances.

The Good News

Since I have a school vacation for three days at that time, you're getting triple the content! The first is the post I mentioned above, and the next are two original short stories I've been working on. I've been hoping on adding some variety for the thread, and since writing is one of my passions (as you can see), well, here we are. Thank you guys for reading, and I'll see you VERY soon! Smile
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! While I'm working on my Death Note post, I decided to post something extra special to keep you guys satiated! What is it? I'm going to describe the premises of twenty-five anime titles in a way that is technically true but completely unhelpful! (Of course, this was inspired by the TV Tropes "Better than it Sounds" page) Enjoy!

Akira:spoiler[Psychic boy throws temper tantrum and destroys the city.]

Attack on Titan:spoiler[Angry White Boy becomes a giant zombie to save the world.]

Baccano:spoiler[Everyone dies a lot and they're all okay with this.]

Berserk:spoiler[Everyone you love will die horribly because your friend had pity sex.]

Black Butler:spoiler[Angels are A-Holes.]

Code Geass:spoiler[Hypnotist blows stuff up and saves the world.]

Cowboy Bebop:spoiler[Four people who mostly hate each other become roommates in space.]

Death Note:spoiler[Boy wants to be a superhero and accidentally becomes supervillain instead.]

Fate Zero and Series:spoiler[Dead people fight over magic cup.]

FLCL:spoiler[Older woman will not leave younger boy alone until he reciprocates her feelings.]

FMA 2003:spoiler[Boys with mommy issues join the army and fight zombies.]

Kill la Kill:spoiler[Your clothes are evil.]

Madoka Magica:spoiler[Junior high schoolgirl becomes messiah by selling soul to Alien Satan.]

Noragami:spoiler[A bum, dead boy, and Only Mostly Dead girl go on magical adventures.]

Paranoia Agent:spoiler[A girl's dead pink dog and imaginary friend destroy the city.]

Princess Mononoke:spoiler[Terminally ill man stops land development.]

Princess Tutu:spoiler[Duckling saves the world by dancing a lot.]

Psycho-Pass:spoiler[Prophetic hive mind rules the city and everyone is okay with this.]

Space Dandy:spoiler[Spaceman dies a lot and is okay with it.]

Spice and Wolf:spoiler[A man and a wolf fall in love and are okay with this.]

Steins;Gate:spoiler[College student relives worst summer vacation ever.]

Tokyo Ghoul:spoiler[Sad boy turns into cannibal and is even sadder.]

Trigun:spoiler[Pacifist accidentally kills people and cries.]

Welcome to the NHK:spoiler[A total loser unknowingly falls in love with an even bigger loser.]

Wolf's Rain:spoiler[Some dogs and a flower go on a journey to end the world.]

Aaaaaand that's all I could think of from the top of my head! I hope you got a laugh or two out of this! Have a happy Valentine's Day and I'll see you soon with my post on Misa! And boy are you going to read a lot about her...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 32