• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chivalry of a Failed Knight (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
You're not wrong in thinking it's not something to imprison him over. But the Kurogane family has enough power that they can do shit like this and no one can stop them.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
Visually, this episode was pretty interesting. So was Ikki's conversation with his dad, though it felt rather rushed, as did the entire second half of the episode, honestly.

The whole thing about arresting Ikki is so retarded that it'd be funny if the show wasn't taking it completely seriously. I also had slim hopes of Toda actually having a duel against Stella instead but of course the series has to make it against the main character.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
It's just time saving two-dimensional villainy.

You know you all had that question as this show was going forward: "how can they deal with all of the family issues AND progress through an overly long tournament at the same time before the end of the season?" Answer- Montage of cruelty! "Bad man do bad things to hero, daddy doesn't love you- feel sorry for hero."

I believe they went through seven tournament rounds with this trick, dodged fight animation AND organic story-telling. Presto- Penultimate fight- next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Overall, this show was decent imo at least for a LN adaptation. I mean, the MC isn't dense and he actually shares a loving relationship with Stella.

The fight and animation including the finale were nicely done though although a bit too fast and predictable with the win against Touka. Oh well....

I don't expect another season (if ever) but the sales of this series has been good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Good finale, good ending, good show. The fights were exciting, the OST was good and the romance was sweet and fulfilling. I'm kind of disappointed that we never saw Stella fight somone as powerful as her (aside from losing to Ikki at the beginning). I'm thinking about giving it a very good rating, but I'll rate it good for now.

I hope that it gets a second season. I'm perfectly fine with this ending though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

If this series did something amazing in this last couple episodes, it was getting me super angry at the villains of the series, Ikki's father and that other guy. Just making me want to reach across the screen and do something. It made the final triumph all the sweeter, apparently Stella's father upon witnessing the fight pretty much threatened Ikki's father for the bullshit he put his own son through. Also Stella knocked the other guy away and everything got thrown into the open, with Ikki now cheered by everyone.

This series is closely relevant to me to the series that has been being released at the same time, Asterisk Wars. I have already talked about in its topic about the unfortunate similarities that has made it quite easy to mix up bits in them, and if they were not released together chances are they would stand out more. But Chivalry of a Failed Knight has been the better show.

I can name various reasons weakness yet personal will in getting stronger than other naturally gifted has actually made it feel like he stands out more as a more memorable main character. We actually got this turn into more of a romance than a harem, there was an official couple. His sister maybe pushes that a bit, but I will say I enjoyed her part in the story, and her battle in the other episode was fantastic. We had Alice, a transgendered woman that the show never made a fuss about, the acceptance of her would be a trend we might hope be tastefully done into the future. The main cast really never felt like they were forgotten, and even late coming character like the student president actually kind of worked. Animation was nice, specifically in certain scenes, and there was good work in getting the audience to follow the wanted emotion.

If I was to make some complaint of the series it would be that we did not have enough time to really explore the characters in many in depth battles. Stella never really seemed to be challenged in combat, we really only saw them acting as a group in the hostage situation, and it really made how Shizuku fought a bit of a surprise that late in the series. I would also say it may have also damaged world building a bit as there really was no huge focus on that. Which must have meant that there was something else they focused on, and I would say it was Ikki. Unlike another show that kind of ended on a note that did not feel like finality to what we had been show thus far, there had been so much focus on Ikki's struggles that this final arc felt so much more conclusive, even it is also a very real fight is only beginning thing. This was a good end, there was a proposal, even if it is under the wait to graduation thing.

As a more complete package it gets a rating from me of Very good. Like Asterisk Wars it was hurt by being close to the other, but I liked this.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
I don't think that's the best way to select your best student to represent your school. When two of your best eliminate eachothers
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7