• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamisama Dolls (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio,

Aki succeeded at spoiler[getting intimate] with the sensei, whereas Kyohei's (puppydog) affection was not returned. So I wouldn't say that Kyohei has succeeded at everything Aki fails at. Besides, it's still uncertain (to me, at least) if Hibino is even romantically interested in Kyohei, so if there are parallels in this, I'd say they're mostly in Kyohei's head, or maybe Aki's.

OTOH, Aki is a pretty smart guy, so I'm sure he knew at least some of what would happen when he spoiler[sent Mahiru off after Hibino]. I think that, for some reason, he is trying to goad Kyohei into going ballistic. I'm still not sure why, but nearly all of his actions seem bent on causing that to happen.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
OTOH, Aki is a pretty smart guy, so I'm sure he knew at least some of what would happen

Aki is turning out to be one of the more interesting characters of the season. You aren't sure where he is coming from or why he does what he does. That simply is not typical for an anime character.

I have to agree that whatever his motivation is, he doesn't have an inferiority complex. The guy he killed certainly did, but not Aki.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I think the parallels are in the writers' minds, not in any of the characters'. Otherwise, is there really a reason to have another spoiler["I'm'a'gonna' get to you through your woman!!!" creep? The character's existence has barely even been established, and this is the use they come up with? Maybe some function will show up next episode, but it seems an entirely gratuitous addition to a conflict between Kyohei and Mahiru that feels interesting enough on its own.]
dan7el

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
I think Aki's goal is clearly to get Kohei to "completely lose it." This is the sole reason he returned to Tokyo. Why he wants Aki to go nuts I don't know yet unless he thinks Kohei will return to their village and destroy the current existing power balance between the two families.

From what I can gather, Kohei is far more powerful then he has let on and has proven himself to be a very capable Seki in the past. The problem is that power and capability scared him to the point where he gave up his position as a Seki for fear that he'd "lost it" and do a great deal of damage.

Aki is trying to goad Kohei. He partially succeeded back in episode 4 or so where Kohei punched Aki.

Honestly, I don't feel like the writer's have given us enough information to really establish things for this series. Maybe they've done this intentionally, but I feel like we're having to fill in the blanks and guess more than we should at this point. Don't we have like one or two episodes left?

I have a strong suspicion I'm going to be seriously disappointed by whatever ending occurs. I hope I'm wrong....
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up to this anime and I have to say, my reason for picking up where I left off was the introduction of a new chick. Damn, is she hot - both looks and personality wise. Yea, she may be spoiler[bitchy] but dangggg, that spoiler[Kana Hanazawa] arrogant voice is hot. I thought they were going to moeify her with that voice but it ended up sounding dee-lih-shush.

It was a bit boring until her introduction though. However, the action in the last few episodes and flashback episode really intrigues me now. I'm looking forward to the finale. I find it disappointing that several characters who have appearances don't play too much of a role yet such as spoiler[the grandpa who raised Kirio. He knows about Amaterasu but what's his main role. How will this play out? Aki has a role too but it doesn't seem too major yet.]

Gah. Can't wait for the finale after seeing episode 12.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
A solid season ending. It was nice to see Aki show human emotions near the end. I can't wait for season 2, from how it ended it seems season 2 is guaranteed. You don't usually see a to be continued for an anime that needs good sales in order for there to be a season 2.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Man, I really dug this series a bunch. It really should have been 2-cours right outta the gate, but I will settle for a second helping whenever it's served up. Hubba hubba Hibino!
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hubba hubba Hibino!

So that's what her name was... I finally remembered it. Those jugs were really distracting, I couldn't focus on her cause I was busy starting at them.

I do agree it should have been 2-cour because this "season" finale is a bit disappointing. I was hoping for better things but hey, more about the characters, so that's good I guess. The preview at the end made things much better though. Gave this a rating of Very Good.

Mahiru's hot. That bitchy attitude is just damn hot especially if you combine it with Kana Hanazawa's voice. What an awesome combo. WHY THEY NO SHOW MORE OF HER?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Hubba hubba Hibino!

So that's what her name was... I finally remembered it. Those jugs were really distracting, I couldn't focus on her cause I was busy starting at them.

I do agree it should have been 2-cour because this "season" finale is a bit disappointing. I was hoping for better things but hey, more about the characters, so that's good I guess. The preview at the end made things much better though. Gave this a rating of Very Good.

Mahiru's hot. That bitchy attitude is just damn hot especially if you combine it with Kana Hanazawa's voice. What an awesome combo. WHY THEY NO SHOW MORE OF HER?

Yup Mahiru is my favorite girl from that series, even though Utao is a beast.
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote
A lot of questions were left unanswered, but I dug the finale. spoiler[It was great seeing Kukuri go all out. I was happy to see Hibino and Kyohei move forward in their relationship. I enjoyed Kyohei and Aki's conversation which I felt put their relationship in somewhat of a decent perspective.]
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately there won't be a second season any time soon. The anime covered 7 volumes and a third of the 8th. Only 9 have been published so far.
dan7el

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote
Well then, it is something to look forward to in a few years. I was wondering how they were going to "cover" the manga as the story seemed time-wise very close to where the manga is.

Honestly, I was hoping to see Kohei go spoiler[ completely crazy. Having him get with Habino was very satisfying, though.]

I look forward to more....
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
It is hard to say why this show worked (for me) as well as it did, given all the things about it I am either indifferent to or outright dislike.

Given that mecha -- particularly cute mecha -- isn't really my thing I guess my reason to keep watching was to see how the relationship between Kyohei and Aki worked out. Then after that, Utao and her twin.

The thing between Kyohei and Hibinoboobs was a bit too formulaic to be interesting. At least the kiss at the end there was well done.

I am more than happy to wait a year or two for another installment. There are too many other things to watch right now.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Very nice series over all spoiler[aside from badly needing a second series.] It was especially nice to see spoiler[Hibino kiss Kyohei.]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a thumbs up. I wasn't too sure when I saw the previews especially with the word "Dolls" in the title. But it ended up being quite satisfying and I felt that it didn't taper off at the end. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing another season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8