• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Hero Academia (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 11:56 am Reply with quote
As cool of a fight as it was, I have always disliked when they introduce a powerful new character to then shortly afterwards kill him or her off. As it is the first two episodes' main purpose was to give the heroes a bit more time and information while also making sure the other countries do not come to help. I consider the latter to be a real pity, I would have liked to see more foreign heroes.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:28 am Reply with quote
S7, 1–2:

To be honest, I wasn't that bothered by what happened to Star. But the part that marred the fight was just how blatantly "shounen" the fight was.

If you have watched your fair share of shounen anime, you would know that in every fight, there is going to be some kind of "intellectualized shounen-splaining" involved. You know, the whole analyzing and breaking down the fight, explaining the rules (whatever they are) and how a strategy or two backfires. There's no exception to it; every shounen is guilty of this, and yes, JJK was guilty of this too. Some of it is okay; it would make a fight more satisfying after all.

The problem with Stripe's New Order is that I still haven't grasped her Quirk. For a show with really weird Quirks, hers is pretty up there. Every time she makes a strategic move, the show painstakingly explains (with animated graphics!) the "rules" of her powers and how Shigaraki cancels them out. Mind you, this was already happening when we were trying to understand how her power works! By the time I managed (somewhat) to wrap my head around Stars's Quirk, she was already out.

Of course, I would have loved to see more of her, but the pacing of this otherwise climactic battle was mismanaged. The show spent several seasons exploring everybody's Quirks, and how much airtime did America's Strongest Hero get? Two episodes.

I understand the need for a plot device, but man, you could have made it more worthwhile.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 9:31 am Reply with quote
Oh right, with all of the chaos of the last season I had kind of forgotten all about the traitor. At one point I suspected the invisible girl yet that seemed a bit too on the nose. Well, it may provide a chance to catch the villains off guard, though with scrotum face you never know for sure.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 4:13 am Reply with quote
3:

Hmm, I don't know what to feel about this one.

We knew that there was a traitor in the UA. Even so, when it was revealed who it was, it felt more like a whimper than a bang.

My Hero Academia: "The traitor is... HIM!"
Intended response: "*GASP* WHAT!? It can't be...!"
Actual response: "Oh... erm, really?"

There's just no buildup to it. Even if a buildup is one of the most clichéd devices in storytelling, especially when presented in a plot twist, it creates the intended effect on the audience that it is someone unexpected and the revelation creates a plot quake with significant consequences. It is someone unexpected, but since there is no buildup to it like this completely came out of nowhere, I just feel like this is pulled out of someone's butt. I don't mean it this way, but that's really how it feels to me.

This character went under the radar for quite a while (perhaps intentionally, perhaps unintentionally, but to good effect, actually) and was swept away quietly. And then the show decides to bring him back but as the traitor we heard some time ago. Just felt anticlimactic overall. But it seems like his being the traitor is secondary to how he plans to redeem himself and become a real hero.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7