• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Pelfmiester wrote:
I think my main problem is the extra bits part. He wasted so much time adding filler jokes or expanding on and dragging out existing moments that nobody wanted while cutting and rushing through all the canon fights and story.

This "so much time" amounts to an average of about 30 seconds per episode. We're not talking about pace-killing levels here. As for "dragging out existing moments that nobody wanted," if you're talking about over-emphasizing Lefiya then I might agree with you (although the first novel did have this problem to some extent, too). If you're talking about anything else then please restrict that "nobody" to "I" because I haven't had a major problem with anything else that's been added in or expanded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
I just finished the 2nd LN yesterday, and yeah, I feel like the anime adaptation just... doesn't really want to follow the source except in very broad strokes. Aiz's fight with Udaeus Rex is supposed to be a couple hours long, but it was shortcutted to "omg, she's soloing it! OK, time for 20 more minutes of other stuff." Not to mention cutting out the entire half of the book with the caterpillar queen crisis in episode 1 from LN 1, which subsequently fails to connect to the plant queen in episode 5 and most of the details of that fight.

Also, the scene in the latest episode where she's talking with Bors in Rivira is supposed to be a reference to the weapon Bell uses to kill the irregular floor boss in the last episode of the main series anime, but they don't even try to make sure the average fan can get it; at the very least, looking at the old scene and making sure the bundle has the same familia insignia would be sufficient, but they couldn't even manage that.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
I just finished the 2nd LN yesterday, and yeah, I feel like the anime adaptation just... doesn't really want to follow the source except in very broad strokes. Aiz's fight with Udaeus Rex is supposed to be a couple hours long, but it was shortcutted to "omg, she's soloing it! OK, time for 20 more minutes of other stuff." Not to mention cutting out the entire half of the book with the caterpillar queen crisis in episode 1 from LN 1, which subsequently fails to connect to the plant queen in episode 5 and most of the details of that fight.

Also, the scene in the latest episode where she's talking with Bors in Rivira is supposed to be a reference to the weapon Bell uses to kill the irregular floor boss in the last episode of the main series anime, but they don't even try to make sure the average fan can get it; at the very least, looking at the old scene and making sure the bundle has the same familia insignia would be sufficient, but they couldn't even manage that.

At this point i think the anime is doing it's own thing. They're going with the Prisma Iliya route, where they want to give us Yuri shit but what we want is Fate and lolis fighting each other.

Look at the OG anime for instance, just about everyone will tell you that the tone of things is very different from the LN's. Heck, as of the latest volume, volume 11, which came out 2 days ago, there would be some angry people on the internet if the adaptation came out feeling happy-go-lucky.

Tbh, i think they are doing this because they're afraid that Lefiya a supposed main character and Bell's "rival" of sorts, doesn't leave a mark. The problem is that that "mark" is leaving me feeling quite angry.

PS: For those that want a lot of Ais shine, i don't know it's a good thing or not, but the cover for Vol9 of the SO LN is looking quite meaty to dissect.[/i]
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Look at the OG anime for instance, just about everyone will tell you that the tone of things is very different from the LN's.

Well, I've read all of the main series novels that have been released in English and I do not agree with this. I think the main series adaptation was done quite well, the things that they cut were inconsequential and ultimately not important enough to be upset about losing.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Look at the OG anime for instance, just about everyone will tell you that the tone of things is very different from the LN's.

Well, I've read all of the main series novels that have been released in English and I do not agree with this. I think the main series adaptation was done quite well, the things that they cut were inconsequential and ultimately not important enough to be upset about losing.

Do note i said tone, not content I was talking about how things were portrayed, not what was shown.[/i]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I would add what I said in the other thread that with this episode Bete managed to make his way into being likable to me. He had a way up to go from being such a douchebag in how he talked about Bell, but this season kind of showing that he regretted how drunk he was, and that despite how much he grumbles he is quick to follow Loki's direction. That now it feels like his bark is worse than his bite, that he does kind of hold concern for others, and how his character kind of worked in being balanced by Lefiya, plus him intimidating the guy, I kind of like him now.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

I dunno, I think that the majority of Ais's inner monologues, her fear that she's inhuman due to her obsession with TSUYOKU NARITAI, the various reasons she's drawn to Bell, the new reason she gets for TSUYOKU NARITAI during the hilariously underwhelming fight with Udaeus, and whatever other redeeming snippets of characterization I'm forgetting at the moment were fairly significant things that all ended up on the studio floor in favor of Lefiya's minute long lesbian fantasies.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
I dunno, I think that the majority of Ais's inner monologues, her fear that she's inhuman due to her obsession with TSUYOKU NARITAI, the various reasons she's drawn to Bell, the new reason she gets for TSUYOKU NARITAI during the hilariously underwhelming fight with Udaeus, and whatever other redeeming snippets of characterization I'm forgetting at the moment were fairly significant things that all ended up on the studio floor in favor of Lefiya's minute long lesbian fantasies.

I think that it is tone that is important, and undoubtedly the tone they have been going for here is to be what Scientific Railgun was to Magical Index. Yeah, there is some focus on fluff, but the anime is maybe trying to not get itself bogged down by getting too heavy too quickly.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
myskaros wrote:

Note that I specifically said I thought the main series was adapted pretty well. I definitely have major qualms with Sword Orario's adaptation, which I cited in my previous post.

@AksaraKishou: I guess I don't really understand what you mean, I thought the tone of the first anime was fine compared to the books.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
One thing that continues to impress me about this series is how well it complements the original series. After watching episode 9 I went back and rewatched episode 8 of the original. Sure enough, the stated goal in that series for the Loki/Hephaestus expedition was level 59. I always thought that seemed a little random, but now we know why that specific level was chosen out of any "deeper than anyone's gone before" option. Given what happened this episode, I wouldn't be surprised if Aiz agreeing to train Bell (which we'll presumably see next episode) is going to turn out to have something to do with taking her mind off of this mess for a while.

And I'm not surprised to see suggestions that Aiz's mother may not have been human. It would explain her unusual eyes and prodigious talent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
As Uranus is the head of the Guild, which capped the Dungeon, it makes sense to me that the patroness may be Gaia. I can't think of any other deity (at least from Greek mythology, where the majority of the series takes it's characters) that it could be.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
One thing that continues to impress me about this series is how well it complements the original series. After watching episode 9 I went back and rewatched episode 8 of the original. Sure enough, the stated goal in that series for the Loki/Hephaestus expedition was level 59. I always thought that seemed a little random, but now we know why that specific level was chosen out of any "deeper than anyone's gone before" option. Given what happened this episode, I wouldn't be surprised if Aiz agreeing to train Bell (which we'll presumably see next episode) is going to turn out to have something to do with taking her mind off of this mess for a while.

And I'm not surprised to see suggestions that Aiz's mother may not have been human. It would explain her unusual eyes and prodigious talent.

That reminds me of a few things that were in the manga that didn't make it into the anime. spoiler[Spirits are avatars of gods, almost gods themselves, and are unable to have children, which throws a wrench into the best guess as to Aiz's identity. Furthermore, when Aiz oneshots Viscum with a gigantic blade of wind (which the anime made incredibly lacking in hype), Lefiya comments on how freakishly powerful that is since even mages and elves - a race specialized in casting magic - can't pull out that much power, and Aiz isn't even a mage, which further implies that Aiz isn't human. Add that to the jewel beast that only reacts to monsters reacting to Aiz and it makes for an interesting plot thread about Aiz's inhuman lineage and status, which would dovetail neatly with her concerns about being freakishly and inhumanly obsessed with getting stronger...

If the anime had bothered to include such concerns.]
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
The only things that really bothered me this ep is spoiler[the lack of several minor characters that accompanied them to floor 24, the lack of hype and intensity in the fight and the fact that they changed everything from a nearly one sided massacre to something with a lighter tone. Guess the animators were too afraid to do something so dark and brutal.]

And about next week Rebecca, spoiler[get ready to be disappointed then]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
So, what I hear you saying is that you're the resurrected chosen one who will destroy the city above? I see...
Tell me more...

I guess if the whole mage thing doesn't work out, she'd make a great therapist.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
This was probably the episode I liked most, given that I didn't have any expectations for it besides GUNUNUNUNUNUNU~ and elf bonding and I got both.

Judging by the Danmachi timeline, I don't think Sword Oratoria will actually get to the 59th floor, which is a pity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9