• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
To address the Kajiura/Kanno debate, I far prefer Yuki. While Kanno is a musical genius as far as range goes, I haven't heard too many of her soundtracks that I can honestly say that I'd own. For Yuki, however, I own all of her soundtracks that have been released in the US including Fiction, plus the Xeno II Movie Scene Soundtrack, and will soon own the Xeno III Best Tracks (as soon as I can get back up to speed after paying for school). Yes, her style is mostly uniform, but I can't get enough of it. Currently, I'd say my favorite series composition by her is Xeno III, with MADLAX not too far behind. Yeah, some tracks from Xeno II are reused, but no one can deny that the "Fatal Fight ~Jin vs. Margulis~" remix was awesome.

On light novels, I'm very happy those are being translated now. I've been eagerly following the Boogiepop novels (as well as Dual), started the Crest of the Stars and Scrapped Princess novels, and I'm hoping to soon buy Strawberry Panic! (April can't come soon enough), Ballad of a Shinigami, and Gun Princess. If only we could get the Maburaho novels, now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
You know what I'm wondering...how this debate even got started. To me, when I hear yuki or yoko I don't automaticly think of the other. They're so different who could possibly get it in their head to start a debate about who is better when they are on totally different sides of the field. And as much as I love Yuki it even I know that Yoko will win because most people like diversity in style which Yoko has. Like I said in my first post I love Yuki because of the emotional attachments I have to her music from the .hack series. To me, fighting about it is always usless. Even fighting about Dub vs. Sub seems more logical than Yuki vs Yoko...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
It's because they are both popular and widely recognized in the same field. It's inevitable.
mokitty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Bravo to the Wyrd Sisters for that rant. If only Shojo Beat's publishers would listen. Unfortunately, there must be a lot more people talking with their dollars lately, or I can't imagine they'd be continuing this trend.

I suppose I'm in the minority as I don't really like Absolute Boyfriend (actually, I find it almost painful, as I'm sure I've read this story at least twice before...), but I do like Baby & Me. Perhaps because as a teenager I did so much of the caretaking for my own baby brother, but I find it rather charming.

In any case, the magazine has essentially lost all appeal for me. I don't enjoy Vampire Knight and Backstage Prince is a complete bore. I don't think I've read a single one of the articles in the last three issues either. I don't care about fashion (and even if I did, looking at some of the gaudy things they've been putting together, I doubt I'd read their version of "fashion advice" anyway. Sorry ladies, but that "Girls' Night Out" section in January looked to me like the 80s threw up on some overgrown mallrats!) I'd like Crimson Hero to return soon to its beginnings as an inspiring, never-give-up sort of story, but I'm not holding my breath. And finally, that new mascot is just awful! Come on, we're anime/manga geeks, not teenyboppers pining for our first junior high prom! That girl might fly if the magazine was targeted at that age range, but they seem to have put their content in direct conflict with the "Older Teen" rating they've given themselves.

What I read in there has been steadily shrinking, and I read less than one third of the January issue before it wound up on my shelf. What started out as a nice bargain for my tight budget (being able to enjoy several stories every month instead of just one and actually learning about culture and history too) seems to have turned into a big waste of my time and money. Luckily, my subscription is through my local comic shop and not the magazine directly, so I can cancel at any time. Which is exactly what I'm doing this week when I'm in that part of town.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm being stupid. Again.

[Seriously, try making some sense next time. This post was utterly incomprehensible. --Nagi]
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of the cover art, Answerman should've also mentioned Funimation. They do an awesome job with retaining the Japanese covers for a lot of things, like Fullmetal Alchemist and Fruits Basket. One of many things I love about them.

As for Kanno vs. Kajiura, they are both incredible. I think I'd have to say Kajiura-san is my favorite of the two, because Tsubasa has IMO the most beautiful score I've ever heard in an anime series. It's a wonderful score in itself, and for me holds a lot of special meaning for personal reasons.

However, I would never rule out Kanno-san, especially for Wolf's Rain, which I proudly own both OSTs of. She more than deserves her fame for that alone, but she's done many other great things as well, and I'm sure Kajiura-san also has. Where's the need for argument? They're both amazing! *waves small Japanese fans around in a cheer*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Akukaze

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Henry Jones wrote:
Akukaze wrote:
Henry Jones wrote:
uot;]If you want a great example of what Kajiura is capable of, check out the Xenosaga Episode III soundtrack. Her work on Episode II is good, not great, but just about everyone involved gave a half-hearted effort on Episode II. Episode III's music is honestly amazing both in its use in the game and listening to it on CD. It takes an occasionally over-melodramatic and sometimes laughable space opera and takes up a few levels by its presence alone. It may use a few themes over and over, but it's something like 6 or 7 themes, so it's not like "Sakura's Theme" in Episode II that makes up half the soundtrack. It's the first game soundtrack in a LONG tong I've taken the effort to import (Katamari Damacy is great, but most of the people I know who are into this stuff already own it, so I hear it enough). It's too bad the "Best Selection" leaves some great stuff out, though.

You know what's kind of ironic is that the Episode II music made me cringe for the most part, but then the extra stuff at the end of the game had really awesome music. And I'm pretty sure that some (if not all) of those songs were used in Episode III. I especially remember that the song from Heaven's Ruins was used in III.

But ALL of Kajiura's Xenosaga music doesn't sound very Kajiura-ish. There aren't a lot of strings at all, and almost no vocal pieces. I guess since they're games they need to worry more about looping, but as a Kajiura fan I still find it disappointing.

How much have you listened to of Episode III? Yes, there are themes that are reused, but on rare occasions. KOS-MOS' theme is reprised at a very key moment, "Assault" is reprised at a key area, and "Fatal Fight" is replayed at a certain (and awesome) boss fight. But I'd say a good 95% of it is original material, and all the reused stuff is used at the the exact right moment.

Plus Episode III has PLENTY of strings. I'd say half of it has some sort of strings carrying the melody, and the last four tracks on the soundtrack are all string-driven (At least as far as the music goes). While the Emily Curtis song at the end is un-Kajiura, the song "Gobsibbe" is VERY vocal and very Kajiura (Even if it's a choir of nonsense syllables). I will agree that some tracks on II are very jarring and unlistenable, though.

I think you misinterpreted what I said. I meant that the music used in the extra parts of II (i.e., the stuff with Dark Erde Kaiser, after you defeat Albedo for the last time) was very good and that some of those songs were used in Episode III.

It's been a while since I've played Episode III, and I played through pretty quickly (I got it the day it came out and finished it in about a week and a half >>; ) so I don't really remember the music that well, so there may be more string music than I remember. And plus, pretty much everything about III (except the "cut scenes", which drove me crazy) was overwhelmingly amazing, so I didn't pay attention to the music as much as I should have.

shirokiryuu wrote:
Akukaze wrote:
I love Kajiura and Kanno's music equally, though, and think they're like apples and oranges. If Kanno had done the music for Noir, it wouldn't have worked, and the same goes for if Kajiura had done the music for Escaflowne. Though now that I think about it, it would be interesting to see what Kajiura would do for RahXephon..
Just want to remind you that Kanno only composed the opening song "Hemisphere", but not the BGM and ending song. Ichiko Hashimoto did that.

I did not know that. I just assumed she had since it was Bones and she composed the theme song. It would still be interesting to see what would have happened if Kajiura had composed the BGM for RahXephon, though. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
mokitty wrote:
I suppose I'm in the minority as I don't really like Absolute Boyfriend (actually, I find it almost painful, as I'm sure I've read this story at least twice before...)

I second that. I've never been much of a Watase fan. This manga felt like Chobits-gone-shojo-with-a-gender-switch. And I'm sick of seeing Tamahome look-alikes as the lead all of time. I didn't like him in Fushigi Yugi, and I don't like him in AB either.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
As the first to mention the Air Gear girl on in the current default skin, I suppose I'm at fault for the derailing -- honestly, I didn't see it as that much of a problem, it was just a bit funny with the "deviant" Solty Rei image combined with the marginally risqué ad. *puts train back on tracks with magical powers*
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
There's hardly anything deviant about Solty Rei itself, outside the seldom seen RUC transformation sequences and shower scenes. The cover is exactly the same as the R2 FILE 4/Vol. 7, minus the brick wall (now *that* would have been suggestive... Wink ).

http://www.solty.net/goods_dvd04.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yukionna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
mokitty wrote:
Bravo to the Wyrd Sisters for that rant. If only Shojo Beat's publishers would listen. Unfortunately, there must be a lot more people talking with their dollars lately, or I can't imagine they'd be continuing this trend.

I suppose I'm in the minority as I don't really like Absolute Boyfriend (actually, I find it almost painful, as I'm sure I've read this story at least twice before...), but I do like Baby & Me. Perhaps because as a teenager I did so much of the caretaking for my own baby brother, but I find it rather charming.

In any case, the magazine has essentially lost all appeal for me. I don't enjoy Vampire Knight and Backstage Prince is a complete bore. I don't think I've read a single one of the articles in the last three issues either. I don't care about fashion (and even if I did, looking at some of the gaudy things they've been putting together, I doubt I'd read their version of "fashion advice" anyway. Sorry ladies, but that "Girls' Night Out" section in January looked to me like the 80s threw up on some overgrown mallrats!) I'd like Crimson Hero to return soon to its beginnings as an inspiring, never-give-up sort of story, but I'm not holding my breath. And finally, that new mascot is just awful! Come on, we're anime/manga geeks, not teenyboppers pining for our first junior high prom! That girl might fly if the magazine was targeted at that age range, but they seem to have put their content in direct conflict with the "Older Teen" rating they've given themselves.

What I read in there has been steadily shrinking, and I read less than one third of the January issue before it wound up on my shelf. What started out as a nice bargain for my tight budget (being able to enjoy several stories every month instead of just one and actually learning about culture and history too) seems to have turned into a big waste of my time and money. Luckily, my subscription is through my local comic shop and not the magazine directly, so I can cancel at any time. Which is exactly what I'm doing this week when I'm in that part of town.

I had just bought Shojo Beat for the first time because somplace in this shitty town actually sells books now (What shocker!!) and i was just curious about it i seriously had to laugh at the things they had in there ANd I have to agree i was only flipping through the pages when i seen they'r Great Fashion advice, kinda makes me feel sorry for the poor girls who actully took that seriously. It looks like they had went to a second hand store for those clothes ANd Picked out the worst they could find. Im not into all the special 'trends' and crap but i do know that gold pants things will NEVER go back in style. and the photo looked rather awful.looked like the one girl dyed her lips to a she was dyeing her hair!

ANd the one 'what do GIrls Play' or whatever article , if they actualy wrote it, how come they dont learn form that Not All gIrls are intressted in Pink and make up. Christ.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
You know what I'm wondering...how this debate even got started.

I once asked the same question and someone hypothesized it's because they're both "YK"s. Wink

The thing about Yoko Kanno, for me, is that the talents everyone else has mentioned--her range of musical style, versatility, ability to compose in any major, minor, or atonal musical key signature, and gift of musical arrangement--are all just bits of icing. When all the bells and whistles are taken away and nothing is left but the melody, it's perfectly clear that Kanno is a superb melodist; I've yet to repeatedly hum a Kajiura tune out loud like I have with most of Kanno's music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
animefan1238

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
The Solty Rei cover is amazing. I had to do a double take on it to make sure it was what it was. Secondly I havn't heard any of Yuki Kajiura's music so I can easily say I'm a Yoko Kanno fan forever, but I would like to listen Yuki Kajiura's music and give my own judgement. Lastly I was a subscriber to Animerican and I gave Shojo Beat a try until my subscription ran out. That was a disappointment. Seeing all the make-up, fasion things and the bad comics was too much. I was disappointed. If they change their ways then I might give them a chance.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:
You know what I'm wondering...how this debate even got started.

I once asked the same question and someone hypothesized it's because they're both "YK"s. Wink

Or, it's that they're both female Japanese composers. How many female Japanese composers can you name off the top of your head? Me? Two.

Actually, I can't name many composers aside from them, except Shiro Sagisu of Eva fame. So maybe it's just my ignorance of composers. But it seems that their well-known names invite comparisons because there aren't that many popular composers who do anime soundtracks.

P.S.: As far as Kajiura lacking the range that Kanno has, I won't deny that, but certainly no one should judge Yuki's range without listening to at least one whole CD (not an anime OST). She's got more range than what I've heard used in Bee Train productions.
s3r3nity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
i just wanna quickly stand up for those poor Sailormoon novels that everyone is mentioning, but pretty much disregarding. If that crappy Voyage of the Moon RuroKen thing can be called a novel (I felt like I was reading an R.L. Stine book...without the ghosts. not to mention it just made two short manga side stories into a whole book. ) then the Sailormoon books definately can. The author combined many of the Sailormoon "worlds" (the japanese, english, manga, and anime) together, and added some of her own charm. Even after watching the episodes, the novels are a completly different experience, in my opinion at least. Or maybe I'm biased.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7