• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-09]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess I don't understand why I would do that.

Because we all want to be Answerman for a week! Very Happy However, I don't think our columns would be any good seeing as how none of us have any inside links to the anime and manga industries and thus couldn't answer even the simplest question.
darcerin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
I wish Key would at *least* consider lowering the price of their original 13 episode Kanon series so that someone over here could license it (if there's any interest nowadays, or have the U.S. companies completely given up on Air and Kanon, etc?), now that they've got Kanon 2 running. I mean, you'd think they'd want to make an overseas profit on some of their older items (Maybe I'm wrong??) It wasn't as great as Kanon 2; however, it still reduced me to tears at the end, which, in my book, sells it for me. It'll probably never happen, but I can wish, can't I?

(For the record, Kanon TV 2 has reduced me to tears *several* times!) Anime smile + sweatdrop
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
raithnor wrote:

As a general rule though I think the subs are slightly better if the setting is more explicitly Japanese/Asian: Kenshin, Basilisk, Peacemaker, Samurai7, etc. If the setting is something more familiar to Americans like Trigun or Ghost in the Shell: SAC it tends to reflect in the dub a little better.

I have noticed that too recently, although I still watch the dubs I noticed when I was watching Naruto the line where Kakashi says "Sakura, kill Naruto or Sasuke dies" in english it was at a normal pace but then when I saw it in japanese the line was a lot faster, since that how ninja's talk.

Strephon wrote:

Also, bringing up cinema isn't necessarily the best argument here, because people watch movies differently from the way they watch TV. When you go to a movie, you expect an immersive experience, ideally with no distractions, so you can keep your eyes glued to the screen the entire time (this is the ideal, not necessarily the actual experience). TV isn't like that; many people watch TV while doing something else, and the chances of something interrupting you are much greater. Movies are something you go out of your way to see; TV is something you turn on to have in the background. In short, TV is a more passive medium, and dubs are much easier to watch passively than subs.

To add to this it that sometimes they need to show dubs. Toonami would hurt dearly if it stopped showing dubs since a lot of children watch Toonami and they probably wouldn't like subs. Adult Swim could show subs but the problem with that is not everyone would like subs and they could stop watching. Another thing is that Adult Swim comes on late and people are going to be tired and reading subtitles may be a bit of a challenge. Also like you said people have more of a chance of getting distracted while watching tv so if they have to look away they could miss some information. I have also heard that it is looked down upon to have subtitles on tv because it is unprofessional and thats why you rarely see subtitles in anime on tv. With the way technology is increasing though I wouldn't be surprised if in the future you could take your remote and switch over to subs.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
mokitty wrote:

Haha, that just reminded me of something I once saw on Just for Laughs. I wish I could remember the exact quote or the man who said it, but instead I will paraphrase: The right to bear arms was enshrined in the American constitution at a time when the new nation faced constant threat of re-invasion by the British. But it has been 200 years, and what the NRA don't want you to know is that the British re-invasion plan... has been cancelled.

Now THAT was funny Very Happy

Back to the rant:
When talking to a Japanese person, I've got four easy words for anyone to use. "Do you like anime?". Clear and concise. If the answer is yes, Huzzah! Continue with the conversation. If the answer is no, move on to another subject.
Wasn't that easy? Wink

OT: I havn't been getting any topic reply emails for the past 4-5 days and I'm wondering if this is happening to anyone else. I can find no reason for this, so if anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated.
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
For those complaining about scanlations, just how are you guys reading them? With CDisplay I can easily read two pages that are side-by-side (both displayed entirely) on my cheap 17"/1280x1024 monitor.
Disco Pete

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
DOOMSDAY!!!!
If the mainstream wanted to get a story, they would've gotten it already. Whether a show is licensed or not makes no difference. We all know North American anime fans DL shows not yet (or ever) available in North America; it wouldn't be too hard for a reporter to find out

Sub v Dub
I usually flip between English and Japanese when watching on DVD. Back-n-forth. Rewind, play again in Japanese. Usually I only do this when watching all by myself, of course.

Scanlations
I usually don't read scans; the series that I'm reading right now are all printed in english, so I don't need to. I sometimes read scanlated 4-koma comics and doujins, though.

The Flake
Flaky Flake is Flaaaaaaaake.

The Rant
Back in the late '90s, I was a member of a Drum and Bugle Corps from Ontario (CAN, not CAL). The membership was made of mostly Canadians and Americans, but there were also many members from East Asia, especially S. Korea, Taiwan, and Japan.

I left the group in '99 (there's an age limit of 21); not too many years later I got into anime. Now, back when I was first getting into anime, I used to think "gee, I wish I knew about this stuff back when I was still marching in the Drum Corps, I could've talked about what was showing in Japan with the Japanese guys!"

Since that time, I've kinda mellowed out. Good thing, too. It would've seemed like I was saying "I'm not interested in you, just the cartoons that happen to be made in the country you were born in" In retrospect, I should've gotten to know about their homeland a little better when I knew them. The REAL Japan, not the cartoon one. But, as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

It seems that most anime fans on this side of the Pacific believe that anime is the Japanese national pastime or something. It may be bigger there than here, but that ain't saying much!
uhmmmm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:32 am Reply with quote
I just thought I'd comment on the statement that manga under $10 is "a steal." I've been studying Japanese for several years now, and am spending a year in Japan at the moment, and I have to say that, as expensive as things in Japan are in general - manga is dirt cheap.

New tankobon are often $3-$8. For a specific example, the FMA manga goes for less than $5 a volume. And then there's the huge secondhand market. Just go to Book Off or any number of other used book stores, and the manga is typically in the $1-$5 range.

Of course, I understand the American companies have license fees and translation costs as well, so I can understand why their prices are higher. But after seeing the manga market in Japan, I just can't think of $10 a volume as cheap.
kamidai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quote
10 buck manga is cheap considering I used to follow multiple series back in TEH DAY when everything was 17 bucks a copy. Bad printing. Flipped. Bad translations. AND I LIKED IT. (Uphill both ways in the snow.)

As for scanlations...I use them to follow series that aren't licensed yet, or for things like the insanely long-running series that we aren't caught up to. I will fully admit to downloading the latest chapter of Berserk as soon as it's on the internets in English. I will also say right now that I also buy every single Berserk volume when it's released in English, normally on release day. I've downloaded a ridiculous amount of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I also have all of the (sadly very few) English manga. I can't expect anybody to be at volume 60 or something of some series that wasn't licensed ages and ages and ages ago; look at Ranma, for instance!

Scanlations are, to me, like fansubs. They're good to sample things, but not a substitute for the real product. Also, I hate being tied to the computer to read manga. I can't exactly read scanlations on a train or in the bathtub or something! (Especially not the bathtub. Computer + water = DO NOT WANT.)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Plus, for some, the original dialogue track can lose meaning to those who don't understand Japanese enough to fully appreciate it. Can they detect the Osakan accent or any other little things like that? What's the point? That will hamper MY experience, so my native language is the way to go. Subtitles can take away from an experience.

I completely agree. As i said earlier there are alot of advantages to watching Anime in your native languages. You lose alot of the tone and context when youre reading the words and hearing them in a language you dont understand.

As for peoples complaints about Dubs:

1) Right off the bat if youre complaining about a dub from 7 - 10 or more years ago Its not really a valid point. I admit Dubs were not as well done back then. They have vastly improved though so let it go.

2) Stop beating a dead horse. We know that they did a terrible job on the dub of *insert that show that everyone always complains about here*. Just because the odd dub is bad doesnt mean they all are.

3) Dont declare it an abomination just cause its different from the original. The thing to keep in mind is that the subbed version isnt even the original, its a translation of the original and because Japanese doesnt translate perfectly into English, this version can actually end up being fairly far from the original. It takes a little reworking. This can often give you a version that is actually closer to the original (not on the surface but in terms of underlying, overall message and feeling that it gets across.) There are more important things than wether the basic words are the same as the original.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
uhmmmm wrote:
I just thought I'd comment on the statement that manga under $10 is "a steal." I've been studying Japanese for several years now, and am spending a year in Japan at the moment, and I have to say that, as expensive as things in Japan are in general - manga is dirt cheap.

New tankobon are often $3-$8. For a specific example, the FMA manga goes for less than $5 a volume. And then there's the huge secondhand market. Just go to Book Off or any number of other used book stores, and the manga is typically in the $1-$5 range.

Of course, I understand the American companies have license fees and translation costs as well, so I can understand why their prices are higher. But after seeing the manga market in Japan, I just can't think of $10 a volume as cheap.

As someone who reads a lot of American comics, I can. A typical manga volume released in the U.S. is roughly equivalent in content to eight normal-length American comics. With an average American comic now running around $3, that $9.99 or $10.99 for a manga volume is still looking like a bargain even with the lack of color factored in.

There's also the print volume issue. Basic economics tell us that manga will always cost more in the U.S. than in Japan if for no other reason than that it will sell many more copies in Japan than in the States.

On an unrelated note, I fully agree with Zac about YouTube. I hate trying to watch anime or AMVs there, as the picture quality is usually so horrid that it's a major distraction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:

Have you even tried paying attention to FMA?

Yep ... and the Japanese track on the DVDs is noticeably better than the English dub.

Quote:
Simliar in the Japanese version, and pretty darn insulting if you haven't even payed attention to the story in FMA to know why they sound the way they do.

Watched the whole series. Still no reason Ed should sound like a 20-year-old and Al like an 8-year-old.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
Can you name any other examples, though? It looks more like three films with subtitles have been successful over a period of 15 or so years, and of those, one is only 25% non-English, one is tied into a major religion, and all three are what William Goldman calls a "non-recurring phenomenon": a film that's successful for reasons that can't be easily explained and whose success can't be easily cashed in on. How many other Westerns, religious films or even martial arts films have done big business since then, even without subtitles? The question isn't whether broad audiences can watch subtitles; it's how often they want to.

Fair enough, but my point wasn't 'one rule for all cases' ... it was that cinema has at least given subtitles a chance, while TV hasn't.
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
Finally, THE ORIGIN!
otimus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I have a real practical reason for preferring dubs. I'm very lazy, and it's easier to be in the middle of a pre-nap situation whilst watching a dub, than a sub.
...I nap a lot. I'm lazy. Yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
mokitty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As someone who reads a lot of American comics, I can. A typical manga volume released in the U.S. is roughly equivalent in content to eight normal-length American comics. With an average American comic now running around $3, that $9.99 or $10.99 for a manga volume is still looking like a bargain even with the lack of color factored in.

Very interesting to see someone else say this, since it's exactly the reason I started reading manga. I always liked comics as a kid, but on an allowance of $2.50, when it comes to the choice between a popsicle, some gum, and various small candies, or saving that money for another week or two to buy an X-men comic, the choice becomes pretty easy. Especially when you factor in that local convenience stores rarely stick with the various storylines, so the American comic I get this month is a completely alternate universe from the one I get next month... in the mind of a child, as much as I loved those comics, they just weren't worth it.

As I got older, my reasons for not buying many comics multiplied: the paper was too flimsy to last very long in a backpack as a middle-schooler, and the prices seemed to keep inflating at the exact same rate as my allowance, so they never became more affordable. By 8th grade, that $17 Sailormoon softcover by Mixx was looking like a total bargain. I could carry it around anywhere I wanted in my bag and the covers and heavier print stock kept it in decent shape. The art was nice, it was still superheroes, and like X-men when I was younger, it was an alternate version of a cartoon show I liked. They came out less frequently but had more story per volume, and I could buy it with my babysitting money without breaking my piggy bank.

American comics seem to finally be catching up in terms of the availability of collected volumes versus those outrageous single issues, but they still tend to skew well outside my price range. My reasons for reading manga now are basically the same as they've always been, it's just an all-around better deal for the money. And since then, I've developed a real love of them. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11