• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A.D. Vision's PiQ Mag to Cover More than Anime, Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benihime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
Kabuto Tokugawa wrote:
Quote:
I kind of agree relunctantly, but about thier anime coverage. Are they trying to make any strides towards getting Non-anime fans into the genre? Are they giving reviews and showing non-fans that thier is a whole world of variety out there?

In all fairness to PiQ the new magazine is more like an American version of Animage (of which I have numerous issues and compared them with the April/Premier issue of PiQ). So it's not a terrible mag or even a medicore fanzine, it has potential. However, I didn't pay to buy PiQ I paid to buy NewType USA, so I'm a bit put off by the staff not simply issuing refunds or at the very least emailing its subscribers to ask if they want the new magazine.

I'll admit that ADV should have given their staff more warning that they were going to pull the plug on NTUSA.
I know the new mag is not owned by ADV but we all should have been given the option of our subscription payments being refunded rather than being given an "honorary" subscription to PiQ. I had purchased a 2 year NTUSA subscription. Fortunately 1 year was already used up but I still have 1 year left. I have requested a refund but I've not yet gotten a reply. I assume I will. I just hope it's soon.

Has anyone else requested a refund yet? If so, have you been contacted by the former NTUSA staff or gotten your money back?
Just curious.

KT

I just bought a 1 year subscription near the end of December, and got one issue of NewType before they switched to this new PiQ. I payed 80 dollars for the subscription, and now the PiQ sub is 39.99. I have requested a refund from their subscription staff but no response as well =/
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
Benihime wrote:

I just bought a 1 year subscription near the end of December, and got one issue of NewType before they switched to this new PiQ. I payed 80 dollars for the subscription, and now the PiQ sub is 39.99. I have requested a refund from their subscription staff but no response as well =/

According to the first page of PiQ, you'll receive two issues of PiQ for every one issue of Newtype you're owed.

I'd kinda like my money back as well. It was disappointing. I didn't think PiQ was flat out horrible, but it's not something I'd pick out. I could care less about Terminator, Frisky Dingo, Marvel Comics, DC comics, Tin Man...

Also, pretty much the whole magazine is written in a smart-alecky tone that bugs me. I wanna count how many times they say, more or less, "WE ARE GEEKS". They really drill that sentiment, and it's annoying.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
Also, pretty much the whole magazine is written in a smart-alecky tone that bugs me.

Otaku USA is too, but no one seems to complain about that. Actually, it's praised for that reason. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
ANBUx3 wrote:
Also, pretty much the whole magazine is written in a smart-alecky tone that bugs me.

Otaku USA is too, but no one seems to complain about that. Actually, it's praised for that reason. Confused

I haven't read Otaku USA, so I can't compare. I don't mind a few smart-aleck comments, but it seemed like overkill in PiQ. To me, PiQ read a lot like Wizard magazine, though thankfully not as overtly sexist.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
I remain perfectly willing to give PiQ a fair chance when I get to see it, but I'm getting a little annoyed by the fact that mine still hasn't shown up a week after SantenKesshun reported the arrival of his copy.

I guess that's at least one feature that got carried over from NewType USA.
rashrover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like some folks are having trouble getting through to ADV about refunds on their NTUSA subscriptions. This isn't really helping PiQ much.

Case in point...

http://revver.com/video/736668/animeroot-presents-piq-magazine-burning-001/
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Not a good suggestion to destroy PiQ magazine.

Still, the refund issue is a good red flag of sorts: Are companies obliged to do refunds or can they offer reasonable substitutes?
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh, thank you very much for the suggestion. Sadly I live out in the middle of no-man's land (it's rural, I mean American old West rural Shocked ). So I'm about two-and-a-half hours from the nearest major metropolitan city (one way).

While I do not condone the buring of books, magazines, or any other media for personal reasons (that I'd rather not discuss) I understand the concern of my fellow ex-Newtype subscribers.

I still haven't gotten back my money and I HAVE DEMANDED IT!
They only owe me for 7 issues, so allow me to revise what I posted earlier on this thread. The 1 year figure was off the top of my head [my bad Embarassed ].
Although I do not want fourteen issues of Pretend I'm Quality magazine or any similiarity thereof.
I want my flippin money back so I can buy subscriptions to OtakuUSA, AnimeInsider, and Protoculture Addicts since the three of them equal NewTypeUSA, IMHO (and are considerably cheaper than NewType Japan).

One of my clients out here is a corporate lawyer so I ran the question by him of "is it legal for a magazine or paper to arbitrarily withhold funds of a subscriber and replace the original subscription with an alternative."

His anwer was a flat NO!. Not without the approval of the subscriber in writing.
So if PiQ does not reimburse us for our subscriptions, we all may want to consider getting together for a class-action lawsuit against this company.
However, my client made it very clear that before we do something like that, we need to inform PiQ that we plan on doing so. This is known as a "good faith effort" and will put them at a legal disadvantage if they refuse to comply.

I hope it does not come to that but ask yourself this question, which my client asked me;

"Where do you think they got the funds to publish their first magazine?"

Food for thought.

KT
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
@Kabuto T

How long has it been since you asked for your refund? I really think you're jumping the gun on talking about class action activities.

They have said from the get-go that they will give refunds to those that want them; but it's not like their going to receive your request, cut you a check, and send it out in the next batch of mail. It will probably take one of the standard 4-6 or 6-8 weeks to process the request. You may even receive another issue or two, but they will most likely refund you the amount retro-active to the day your request arrived.

These things take time. Be patient.
gdupninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they dont lose sight of what made the magazine what it was. Good anime and manga coverage that people enjoy. If PIQ mag doesn't show enough dedication to anime, manga and otaku than they can kiss their sales goodbye.
gdupninja

I just hope they dont lose sight of what made the magazine what it was. Good anime and manga coverage that people enjoy. If PIQ mag doesn't show enough dedication to anime, manga and otaku than they can kiss their sales goodbye.
gdupninja

Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
*off subject*

gdupninja I must say I really like your avatar. Spike is one of my favorite anime heros and the Baby Desert Eagle he's holding is a mean little machine. Smile

*back on subject*

daedelus,
Quote:
How long has it been since you asked for your refund? I really think you're jumping the gun on talking about class action activities.

Seven days as of today and I've heard nothing from them.
I'm sorry if I seem rambunctious about this, but the way the PiQ staff is going about this is insulting to me (and others I'm sure).

They didn't ask us if we wanted PiQ before they signed us all up on their own recognizance.
I'll be honest with you, I don't like PiQ. Why? Because it is neither a good Sci-fi mag nor a good anime mag.
I'm not interested in a magazine that's "Entertainment for the rest of us." I'm interested in a magazine that's "Entertainment for the Otaku in us."
Starlogis where I get my American Sci-fi info from
It's the best source for American Sci-Fi (IMHO) and has been since way back in the early 1970s.
You wanna know about Americn comics, Wizardis probably the best one in my opinion.
If you like Horror, Fangoriamight be the magazine for you.
Anime, well we now have about four to chose from; OtakuUSA, Protoculture Addicts, Anime-Insider, and Shonen Jump (there may be more I'm not sure).
They all have their pros and cons but their cons outweigh any and all of PiQs pros IMHO.
I'm not saying that no one should buy PiQ.
What I'm saying is that for those of us who do not like it, and paid for a NTUSA subscription which has yet to be filled, we should be given a refund.

I have yet to see anything on PiQ's website about refunds. I haven't looked at NTUSA's old site. I'll go check that out to see if there is any info about it there, however I shouldn't have to go to them about this. They should have had the courtesy to email each of the former NTUSA subscribers and ask them which they would have preferred; a full refund or PiQ. Heck a general emailer asking that question could have been written up in a day and distributed in a fortnight to their entire email list of NTUSA subscribers.

Don't misunderstand me Daedelus, I'm not trying to be impatient, I'm being cynical. It appears to me with all of their "give the new mag a chance" drivel that they expected us to get the new mag and be "wowed" by their genius and intellect, as if NewType, OtakuUSA, Protoculture Addicts and all the other anime mags have had it all wrong all these years. Pathetic!!

I'll wait another week, before I start talking to lawyers and getting advice on this. Hopefully I'm just being an overzealous fool and they'll give us all back our money without a hassle. Only time will tell.

@Daedelus; please don't take any of the above post personally, my vitriol was not directed at you.

KT
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
Kabuto Tokugawa wrote:
@Daedelus; please don't take any of the above post personally, my vitriol was not directed at you.

KT

Hey, no worries. In all honesty though, if it's only been a week since your request, I think you should wait more than just one more week before starting any legal actions. I can't be 100% sure, but I really don't think you'll see your refund for at least another 3-4 weeks.

I understand that you are anxious. PiQ is run by basically the same staff as NTUSA, so you can take solace that they aren't some fly-by-night scam artists that took our subscription money and then disappeared to parts unknown. I'm highly confident that you, and everyone else who wants one, will get a refund.

As for me, I can see great potential. Magazines need time to grow and evolve, so I'm going to let my subscription ride. Smile

One last thing:

Is it just me? Or did anyone else fell kinda depressed after watching that idiotic "Animeroot burning video"? Sometimes I truly weep for the future. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8