• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-03-28]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
While it is admittedly not fair (even if ONLY for budgetary reasons) I think this is the best anime ending sequence ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpekvYoOcW8
(and I'm not even a big fan of the studio

Arrrgh! It's "The Rose" in Japanese! What a dirty trick!

28 years later and I still can't stand it even from the divine one, Someone else in another language doesn't help at all.

* Goes to a corner and licks wounds *
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
wow thanks for your 3 steps to success zac
you should totally right a book about otaku mating rituals
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

Warner Brothers could easily change that.

Are they going to rip pages out of every copy or burn it or something?

The notion that an adaptation "ruins" the original is a really kind of dumb internet nerd meme that is very tiresome.

I have to sort of agree.

You could point to the Transformers 2007 movie and say how great that was (and it was a fantastic movie, I readily admit). You could point to the fact that the reverse is possible - Gankutsuou lost none of the impact of the book, and was better than the live-action movie which preceded it.

But by and large, what occurs is Adaptation Decay.

I just love that website.

Now, regarding how the poor adaption will ruin the original, it depends on the viewer, and how badly the adaptation was. Yes, a lame answer, but it true.

By and large, I found many of the Star Wars Expanded Universe books to be mediocre at best. Did this ruin the original movies for me? No. Same with the Starship Troopers movie, which was awful compared to the book. I still think the book is as enjoyable as the first time I read it.

Personally, the only way that an adaptation can influence the original is to make it look better.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
lisamarie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Nick Nickerson for mentioning Galaxy Express 999! I watched that on the Sci-Fi channel about 10 years ago when I was in college and I could never remember the name. It was on Saturday mornings, maybe around 10am, and played for about a month like a mini-series. Four years ago I went to Blockbuster and described it to a girl, she handed me Ghost in the Shell, I knew that wasn't it but checked it out to be nice. Hopefully Netflix has it. Thanks again!
Akukaze

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
I feel safe to bet at one point I was the biggest (and probably only) 10 year old Shintaro Katsu fan in all of New Jersey, or at least Stone Harbor.

Hey, my uncle used to live in Stone Harbor! He had once of those ginormous houses right on the bay. Too bad he sold it to move to Media, PA. And my grandparents still live in Ocean City, although not on the water or anything.

Anyway, trying to think of ending themes I really like off the top of my head, the first one that comes to mind is definitely Getsumei Fuuei from Twelve Kingdoms, even if if it doesn't have the same effect if you're not watching it after an actual episode. I also agree with a lot of the ones mentioned, though in my mind the endings for shows like InuYasha or Bleach 'don't count' since they're usually mainstream pop/rock songs which I tend to associate more with the artist than the anime itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
Lately the ED song that's stuck in my head in a good way is "Aishiteru" from Bokura ga Ita. For a show with only 26 episdoes it has a lot of EDs. The Tagalog dub is currently on its second straight run. Interestingly Nanami Takahashi is the debut role for both the Japanese and Filipino voice actresses.

First anime I remember watching was Voltes V. Even though the local English dub gave the heroes American-sounding names, the songs and on-screen text were still in Japanese. The local adaptation company was too cheap to mess with the music and video, I guess.

Saw my fair share of U.S.-dubbed stuff on TV. While I vague recall seeing Star Blazers, I pretty much saw all of Thunder Sub. Likewise G-Force instead of Battle of the Planets.

When we first got cable NHK BS-2 was available, despite it being a domestic Japanese satellite channel (signal went out when it rained hard). Really enjoyed the annual anime festival and the regular weekday afternoon shows (saw Peanuts dubbed in Japanese there).

Even sought out what little anime there was on the French, Indonesian, Thai, and Chinese channels. Only really followed the Chinese-translated ones: Kimagure Orange Road, Maison Ikkoku, Miyuki.
Grenadier13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
seriously, no one's picking Welcome to the NHK! for their favorite ED? i must have missed it in there somewhere.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote
Is it enough for the end credits to have good music? What about what the creators do with the visuals that go with that music?

One of the most interesting uses of the end credits that I can remember is in the Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz OVAs. Each episode would reach a dramatic climax and then there'd be all this action under the end credits: Dekim's mobile suits parachuting in as part of a coup, Heero flying into space to recover his Gundam, etc., all set to the driving TWO-MIX disco beat. The effect was to leave you hanging right up until the last possible second, and to suggest that Endless Waltz was so chock full of action that it could hardly be contained, and that they had to use the credits to get it all in.

Which is bunk, of course, because Endless Waltz was a pretty pitiful trifle (cut to Romefeller Foundation soldier vowing "I, for one, welcome our philosophy-spouting seven-year-old girl overlord"), but still, packing the best bits in the end credits is a unique effect I haven't seen too often.

Very opposite effect: the end credits of Rumbling Hearts (originally Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien). After the red herring first episode, and the pivotal second (which packs some important reaction scenes under its end credits, ala Endless Waltz), the closing used for the rest of the series employs an interesting irony. While the show jumps ahead three years and ages the characters into badly troubled young adults, the simple credits sequence shows a highly romanticized version of their high school selves, sharing a telescope to watch the stars go by (set in a hilltop location that is revisited at several pivotal points in the series). It works well because while many of the episodes end with the ongoing train-wreck of the characters' lives, the end credits go back to a highly idealized version of what life was like when they were all friends, before the accident, before everything fell apart. Nice irony: the end credits look back in time, even though the show's Japanese title literally means "The Future You Desire." Really good show; it'd be nice if more people tried it out.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

One of the most interesting uses of the end credits that I can remember is in the Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz OVAs. Each episode would reach a dramatic climax and then there'd be all this action under the end credits: Dekim's mobile suits parachuting in as part of a coup, Heero flying into space to recover his Gundam, etc., all set to the driving TWO-MIX disco beat. The effect was to leave you hanging right up until the last possible second, and to suggest that Endless Waltz was so chock full of action that it could hardly be contained, and that they had to use the credits to get it all in.

IIRC each episode pretty much maxed out the 30 minutes per side you could get with CAV laser discs.
kiaratara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
I'm fairly new to anime - and loving it! But I don't recognize the show for the clip with the mega old-school charm.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I had an Answerfans response typed up and didn't get a chance to mail it off because I'd been busy! I was surprised that the majoriity of AnswerFan respondents were of the Pokemon generation and it looks like the oldest ones were about my generation, the mid-1990s. A few more older (or, should i say, more seasoned?) fans posted in the forums, which I always think are entertaining to read and hear about.

My personal fandom history started through my other love at the time - comic books. I was a big comic book fan as a kid in the 1990s and my dad and I would go to comic book shows held locally (there was one every couple months about 20 minutes away). On the advertisements, they had "Japanimation" marked as one of the featured items (turns out they were all bootlegged fansubs). I ended up going to one guy's booth who had it playing and managed to catch a few episodes of DNA^2 and I knew I wanted more. The following year in '95 was when Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (Ronin Warriors) and Sailor Moon began syndicating and my sister and I ate them up. After that, I started busting my ass for cash and began collecting. Started hanging out on the Internet and making contacts, so I started tape trading and finding out more and more.
What's kept me interested, aside from actually finding good anime to watch, has been side projects. I ran clubs, I've started (and failed to varying degrees) websites, blogs, fanzines, and podcasts. I'm a work-a-holic by nature and up-bringing, so doing all of the side projects to me are all a part of the fun of fandom. All in all, it's been a fun fourteen years and I look forward to more.

@ PiQ: I haven't picked up a copy to read yet but I wouldn't mind checking it out. From what was posted, I can't blame ADV for going after more casual or viewers who haven't been exposed to that much anime. It seems that to have a publication survive in the Internet age, you have to go after the broadest base possible. That said, also because of the Internet, if I pick up an anime magazine, I read the news last since it's horribly out of date. News really isn't a content-feature anymore like it used to be in the days of Animag and early Protoculture Addicts. For a print magazine to survive, it's going to have to focus on tertiary content that's still relavent but not found on any general website. I think that the best layout for an anime print mag now-a-days would be a collection of what used to be the feature articles in places like Animerica and the aforementioned Animag which went through story chronologies and release histories of various histories. Hard-core meta level discussions, written to explain to the "uninformed", of a variety of series that would take the average reader hours to find on the Internet. Also, shameless plug to an article I wrote about anime journalism and publication, as an outsider. I got a fair number of good comments on it, so I'm thinking of writing a sequel.

@ American animation: I've never seen Heavy Metal, except for on the shelf of a video store. And, I think I saw Carl Macek's name on Heavy Metal 2000, so I avoided it like the plague. That said, I've really got nothing wrong with American animation. I enjoy Pixar films for what they are and I loved cartoons as a kid. Though, most of my animated DVDs are anime, other animated ones I've got are just childhood nostalgia DVDs. Aside from the typical Adult Swim fanfare (I loved Sealab and Harvey Birdman), I just don't watch as many cartoons. Not through any elitism or any obscure emotional response; just don't make time in my schedule for it. If anything, I'm more hostile towards American comic books just because I don't like the infinite storylines and the constant focus on super-heroes. I've been recommended books I might like that aren't that type, but I've not gotten around to reading them.

@ Anime Endings Like openings, it fluctuates quite a bit. Can't really say I have a list of "favorites", a lot depends on the mood I'm in to listen to it.

@ pen0r: Laughing

@ ridicule for being an anime fan: To be honest, I can't really recall a single instance where I was really ridiculed for being an anime fan. And I was guilty of some of the most heinous crimes of fandom - I wore anime T-Shirts all of the time, I read manga and NewType during free periods, I kept talking about how much more mature Dragonball Z was than other cartoons - all of that nonsense. People knew I was into it (I ran the anime club and was very public about it and anime in general) and people would ask me about it but I guess I was able to actually converse about other topics, so it made me less of a freak. I think all of the abuse I took was more related to being a hopeless nerd rather than an anime nerd in general. Of course, if there was something my memory isn't caching right now and I was ridiculed or beaten up for something, I probably deserved it.[/url]
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
All I'll say about the American animation issue is that I feel bad for those who weren't around for the Golden Age of the 1990's, when we had Animaniacs, Pinky & the Brain (pre-Elmira), Batman, Beast Wars (if it's considered an American series - I'm a little hazy on the technicalities of this one), some of the best seasons of The Simpsons and the great, epic Gargoyles. I'd put most if not all of these up against anime anytime, and I'd urge anyone who isn't old enough to have seen or remembered them to watch whichever of them they think would suit their tastes.
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
There's been a lot EDs that I love that people have posted already. Though I was very happy to read someone else mention Please Save My Earth's ED, they didn't post a link to it, so I have. I know it ranks way up there for me, plus it's a Yoko Kanno work. What more could you want? Cool
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XAEh4chaixA

I've always loved the first ED to the Ushio and Tora OAV, granted the anime and manga itself is an all-time fav of mine, so perhaps I'm biased. Razz But I think the song sung by Sasaki Nozomu is sweet and touching and the imagery suits it well.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oZDWVKFD97Q&feature=related

I love the 12th ED to Naruto that was a salute to The Year of the Dog. Animation is cute and the song "Parade" by Chaba is a delightfully unique piece.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wUekvHt4qjM&feature=related
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Beast Wars (if it's considered an American series - I'm a little hazy on the technicalities of this one)

It's technically Canadian, but hey, it's still North America. Wink
Thewalkindude368

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I do agree that general hate on American cartoons for being "immature" is, ironically, very immature. So anime has more adult themes to it. Sometimes you just want to sit back and watcha cat get horribly mutilated repeatedly. I can't say I much enjoy some of the new stuff in America, but I love Spongebob and Foster's. Also, boomerang is one of my favorite networks. Yogi's Gang is admmittably stupid and preachy, but I enjoy seeing Hannah Barbara characters fight against bad personality traits. I still want to see Mr. Bigot. I haven't seen Rattatoule yet, but if it's as enjoyable as every other Pixar release, I'll love it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8