• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Revenge of the Special Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I have Media Blaster's release, but CPM's has a different dub, and I would've liked to watch them back to back to compare.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Ah, wasn't sure if they had the same dub or not. Well, for what it's worth, you can also still find the VHS tapes with the CPM dub on Amazon. You can get each tape for about $5 used, or $20 used. I suppose that makes the assumption that you still have the ability to view VHS tapes though. I certainly don't anymore Smile
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
How many of you here with large collections of shows that date back to the 1980's and 1990's are under the age of thirty?

Here's one. Although at 26, soon to be 27, I'm not that far off.

The King of Harts wrote:
Then there's stuff like Maison Ikkoku that went OOP almost as soon as I started really getting into buying anime, so I just barely missed it, and that really sucks.

Maison Ikkoku? You talking about the sets that I have in this picture, none of which I paid above MSRP for?

As for SE, I do love me some, except when they're not. Looking over my collection, the companies used to put quite a bit in their releases. Not all of it is big stuff, but their is something. Let see now:
Pic 1- If you look in the background you can see the tin lunchbox that the SE of Dual Matrix came in. I use the lunchbox to store the items that come with my other LE, like the pillowcases and whatnot from the Haruhi ones. I'll also put in the filler box art and cover art I've cut out in there along with the advertisement cards companies give out. Mahoromatic and Ai Yori Aoshi: Enishi came with figures, Fate/Stay Night had a clock, Ergo Proxy had embossed pencilboards (only have the last 3 through) and an extras disc, NTHT also had an extras disc, Paradise Kiss had scented artcards, their is the books that came with Toradora, and Kino's Journey came with a Herme's licences plate (one of my favorites).
Pic 2- Wedding Peach had a beach ball, Boogiepop Phantom had CDs, pencilboards, character cards, GiTS came with various stuff, Basilisk had that nice guillotine box with mini wallscroll and artcards, and Azumanga Daioh had pins.
Pic 3- A bunch of people and the article have already talked about .hack/sign. Mushishi had postcards, Beck picks, and Galaxy Angel, figures and pencilboards.
Pic 4- Burn Up Scramble came with magnets. The Patlabor movies have those nice books. Besides the tins, Trigun had a bullet necklace, Black Lagoon dog tags and metal artcards (which smelled awful), and Hellsing production art books and figure things of Alucard and Fr. Anderson. Tylor had those nifty, what RS called telescopic, boxes with novellas, extras discs and soundtrack CDs.
Pic 5- Each Inuyasha box came with something. Last Exile had a figurine, mousepad and postcards which have Range Murata's gorgeous artwork on them and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time has an extras disc and soundtrack CD.
Pic 6- I didn't get the SE for box one of Bleach, but 2 and 3 had an Ichigo figure and a replica of his Hollow mask. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure had each disc come with a Stand tarot card and Zipang had a mouspad.
Pic 7- The Escaflowne movie had an extras disc, booklet and soundtrack while the series had an Escaflowne figure (which was a real cheap little thing). FMA, of course, had the tins and soundtracks (I'm missing the first one) and the movie had its attached book. Armored Trooper VOTOMS also had its tin with booklet and extras disc and Aria had postcards and that President Aria toy.
Pic 8- After all the fuss it raised, everyone should all be familiar with the Garden of Sinners box. Sacred Blacksmith had an art booklet and Cecily towel, Phantom the bullet necklace, Chrome Shelled Regios a school flag, and Peach Girl a purse which you can see in the background.
Pic 9 - I must say that I already have all Dragon Boxes already. There's Tenchi Muyo with its tin, Lucky Star had T-shirts and soundtracks and you can see Rosario+Vampire's art booklet and lenticular card. Di Gi Charat had a soundtrack CD, manga, and these little figurines. Katanagatari was purchased through the NISA store so I got art cards along with it.

And I'm quite sure I missed some.

While not pictured, I do also have Nozomi's release of Revolutionary Girl Utena with ring. I also have the SE of the Inuyasha movie box. I ended up staining the outer wooden box and it looks much nicer, don't you think?

My favorite SE releases would be a toss-up between RS and NISA due to the booklets/books which I would love other companies to do. As much as I like the whiteboard that came with Baka and Test, I'd gladly ditch it for a booklet. They gave Fruits Basket one, and I want the others to have one too. I chase down singles just for those things. I liked the ones that came with Azumanga Daioh with all their liner notes.

I haven't watched much of my collection again but that is due to backlog. I'd like to concentrate on shows I haven't watched yet, although that hasn't stopped me from having watched GITS: SAC and Utena multiple times.

Last edited by _Emi_ on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I suppose that makes the assumption that you still have the ability to view VHS tapes though.

As someone who has played SNES on his 42" HDTV, I've learned that mixing 90's technology with current technology isn't a good idea. I mean, I have a VCR connected to an older TV, but I'm not going buy VHS's in 2012.

_Emi_ wrote:
Maison Ikkoku? You talking about the sets that I have in this picture, none of which I paid above MSRP for?

I've been nothing but nice to you, and this what you do to me? How dare you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Emi_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
_Emi_ wrote:

Wherever you talk about those Maison Ikkoku boxes, I'll be there with that picture. You keep watching the sky for those flying pigs.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
_Emi_ wrote:

Wherever you talk about those Maison Ikkoku boxes, I'll be there with that picture. You keep watching the sky for those flying pigs.

Already happened when: Truck carrying 100 pigs collides with car in Tochigi. Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised that no one so far has mentioned the Gantz ball, a metal ball-shaped case which had the DVDs fitted into snug foam slots. It's one of the ultimates in distinctive packaging for special sets.

Geneon also has a fair number of gimmicky releases in its heyday, including this Beck vol. 1 box shaped like an amplifier and the Rozen Maiden felt-covered box. (Not entirely sure that I have the right pick on that last one.)

Personally, I'm a fan of sets that come in metal tins, including ones released for Avenger, Akira, and Iria - Zeiram The Animation, all of which I do own. (I also have ones for NGE, MSA Abenobashi, and Nadia, but some or all of those have been referenced before.)

As for rewatching stuff? I have probably around 15-20 titles that I rewatch in part or in full on a semi-regular basis (i.e. at least once every two years) and have fully rewatched about two-thirds of the older-than-a-year part of my collection at least once. Most of the rest is stuff that I'll probably never completely rewatch but like to keep for reference material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Geneon also has a fair number of gimmicky releases in its heyday, including this Beck vol. 1 box shaped like an amplifier

Beck was Funimation.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Beck was Funimation.

Damn, I was certain that I remembered first hearing about that one at a Geneon panel. Oh, well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Libris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I have never really been a 'collector' of anime because shelf space is an absolute premium to me... I love anime, and I love manga, and I love to read in general, so eighty percent of what space I have for the longest time was regular books. The next was manga. What anime I have has always been things I love and knew I would rewatch.

The other thing is I just don't like special editions as they're usually presented. I generally buy something because it's value to my lies in the show itself. I don't need yet another keychain, the t-shirts fit ill and are made cheap, artboxes are cumbersome space fillers, and figures rarely live up to their hype. Basically, when the question comes down to what release I buy it's always: what will you DO with these 'extras'? Where will you put them in five years? CDs are a fine line, since most of them pick and choose tracks, and if I love the music that much I'll shell out for a full OST import rather than buy the special edition.

That was one thing I used to be able to count on in the industry was that I could patiently wait another year, and then get a thirty-dollar-or-so box containing ALL the episodes stripped down. One thing I actually DISLIKE bout the changing industry is how it's beginning to imitate a collector's only fanclub with no room for fans like me. I love Crunchyroll and I've been using Netflix for quite a while, but I don't think streaming will ever replace having your 'own' copy in some format.

Then again, I've also started BUYING special editions for the first time. I'm one away from having all the dragon boxes, and I shelled out for the pricey Madoka LEs despite myself, although depending on how the show holds up I may sell those and just get the DVDs. I just don't want to get caught in another Oreimo/Higurashi situation in the future, either, with the show expensively out of print with little to no warning. I also bought the second Toradora LE during the Rightstuf winter sale, but only because it was part of the bundle.

Quote:
So what's your favorite anime collector's DVD?

My Dragon Boxes and the recent re-release of Utena, by far. Exactly the kind of 'limited edition' release I actually enjoy: remastered, with a cool booklet of development info and interviews, and doesn't take up loads of space.

Quote:
Which shows did you love but only watch once, and which extra special shows do you find yourself revisiting over and over?

Since I buy because I feel like I want to see it again (and again), it's rare to get a show I can only power through once. Sometimes there are flukes. I only watched Abenobashi once, and never even finished Code Geass or Final Fantasy Unlimited, and never even opened my set of Red Garden. If I don't rewatch a show I try and sell it rather than let it take up space.

When it comes to rewatching, though, far and above is Slayers. I have rewatched all three original seasons in their entirety several times through, and am in the middle of NEXT right now, haha. Slayers is near and dear to my heart.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally, I'm a fan of sets that come in metal tins

I'm on the fence about tins. It all really depends on how detailed it is, because some are plain. For example the Desert Punk and Stellvia tins are awesome because there's some nice artwork on there; Desert Punk is really nice because it's holographic and is shaped, so it's not just flat. Then there's Evangelion and Abenobashi that are...silver, metal containers. They're kind of boring. Now, I love my Eva tin because I think it looks really nice horizontally because it has cropped images of Shinji's, Rei's and Asuka's eyes, which is a nice touch. But Abenobashi is as plain as plain could be, which is weird since another ADV and Gainax show, This Ugly, Yet Beautiful World, got a colored tin.

The Trigun and Hajime no Ippo tins from Geneon are really nice as well.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, let's see what I got:

Akira-Tin
Alien 9+Manga edition
Appleseed SE Tin
Appleseed Ek Machina SE Tin
Baccano Artbox
le Chevalier D'Eon Artbox
Code Geass All SE and Artbox
Darker than Black Artbox
Darker than Black 2 LE
Escaflowne Artbox
Escaflowne: The Movie Ultimate Edition
Eureka 7 1 and 7 LE+Artbox
Fafner Artbox
Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shambala LE
Gankutsuou Artbox
Gaogaigar Artboxes
Ghost in the Shell Special Edition
Ghost Slayers Ayashi Artbox
Gurren Lagann LE+Artbox
Guyver Artbox
Haibane Renmei Artbox
Hellsing Ultimate 1-4 SE Steelbook
Iria Tin
Jubei-Chan 2 Artbox
Kino's Journey Artbox
Kurau Phantom Memory Artbox
Last Exile Artbox
Madlax Artbox
Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum Artbox
New Getter Robo Artbox
Patlabor Movie 3 SE
Rahxephon The Movie SE w/ Artbox
Revolutionary Girl Utena Nozomi LEs
Samurai Champloo Artbox
Tetsujin 28 Artbox
Utawarerumono Artbox
Vampire Princess Miyu TV Ultimate Set
Vandread Artbox
Wolf's Rain LE Artbox
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I sort of take issue with how Mike undermines the effect piracy has had on the DVD market. On the one hand, it's difficult to statistically measure how much or how little piracy is hurting sales (a point I'm sure fansubbers would bring up if Iyadomi had pointed the blame squarely at piracy). But on another level, I think where piracy really hurts the anime DVD market is by cultivating a culture that doesn't appreciate physical ownership, or at least paying to watch anime.

One could make an argument similar to Mike's that console video games such as Skyrim or Final Fantasy are meant to be played once, since they can take upwards of 100 hours to finish. Especially when you consider the sheer number of game titles on the market, you would think gamers would have a similarly less than devoted mindset when it comes to owning video games. Yet the console video game market has had phenomenal performance in recent years, largely making its bread and butter through physical ownership of their titles. In many ways, the difficulty of pirating console video games (IIRC, less than 1% of console gamers pirate video games) has lent itself to cultivating a culture of personal ownership. This is in stark contrast to the anime market, which has grown accustomed to the fast and free nature of pirated fansubs and has developed a culture that centers around online viewing of anime.

I don't mean to aggrandize myself as an exception making the rule, but I've found that collecting anime DVDs over the years has grown my appreciation for the actual titles I've purchased, partially because I put something back into a title I love, but also because I have to be selective about what I buy. Those two aspects tend to make the things I've bought that much more special to me, and I've certainly re-watched a number of DVDs in my collection because of it. So I do take issue with how Mike seems to suggest that TV shows are something of a 'disposable' medium, and how he seems to suggest that the industry needs to adjust to that reality. If anything, I think the anime industry can learn a lot from the console gaming industry, which has had phenomenal success by heavily protecting its IP and encouraging a culture that respects physical ownership.

I'm not trying to undermine the future of online streaming, which I think in its own right is an advancement for the industry, but at the same time the 'fast and free' attitude that the industry is catering to is, imo, unhealthy. If the industry doesn't encourage its fans to give something back in return for the media they enjoy, I think people are going to continue to grow a mindset of the disposability of the shows they watch (and even worse, to continue encouraging studios to only make TV shows that are merchandisable, if the rise of the otaku-centric moe market is any indication). In that sense, I hope that the subscription-based models for online streaming become stronger in the years to come.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
[Disclaimer - I'm well over fifty and have been watching anime since the mid 2000s.]

Reading this thread leaves me with the feeling that the ANN membership is much older and wealthier than the general audience for contemporary anime. So much nostalgia is being expressed for shows that aired 5, 10, 20 years or even longer ago. When Funimation does its surveys, the top age category is something like 35+ with a lot of gradations between 12 and 30. How many of you here with large collections of shows that date back to the 1980's and 1990's are under the age of thirty?

I disagree. I think most people are in their 20-25s here, but the anime fan dropoff after 30 years old is quite steep. Most members here were probably raised on late 90s to early 2000s shows, stuff they saw in their teens. Some will go back and dip into 80s shows during their fandom, but if you start a thread on this forum on actual 80s anime, you'll mostly get about 6 or 7 older people stretching a thread to 5-8 pages, with 10-12 younger people popping in to chime in their opinions--not a lot of people, really. I am willing to bet as much as half of these younger fans will not be anime fans anymore by 2015.

I don't know that ANN members are all that wealthy, either. Some will pay $400 for Garden of Sinners set, but I am quite sure a number of those consumers who helped sell the show out in the U.S. have probably accrued a large amount of personal debt...that or many of them are single/not married and don't have as much financial responsibilities to take care of.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I believe this will go down as the best article (not review) I've ever read on this site.

While I don't fear the changing price model forthcoming, what I do fear are distributors pushing it on titles that, quite frankly, don't deserve it. I completely concur the mid-00s gave us little to offer in terms of previews and we were stuck buying completely blind. No matter how good or bad a review was, there was nothing to guarantee a purchase wasn't going to be a complete waste of money.

With streaming, we now have the choice to stay a consumer or become a customer.

However, there is a caveat to this. While we can pick and choose what we'll buy, so too can distributors pick and choose what they'll license.

I'm concerned about this because a title I'd love to own may never get picked up. It's going to disappoint me if none of our distributors pick up Hanasaku Iroha, as an example, despite how many people enjoyed it.

If this is what the future holds, then I suppose it's inevitable I stop buying DVDs and stick to streaming.

Let's just hope the business model of "Let's run it on this site for a few months, then pull it and put it on ours or remove it altogether" ends in 2012.

If the anime industry is looking to capitalize on streaming, it makes no sense they regulate themselves in this manner. I understand competition, but it's utter nonsense they're competing with each other when their biggest threat has "$1.99 for a day, $9.99 for a month, or $79.99 for a year to gain instant access to this file" as their advertisement.

The other concern: how long is it going to be before this industry separates out shelf designers from "just want to own", forcing the latter to pay prices for crap they don't want.

I believe it was Justin who said everyone's going to have to adapt, and those words were truth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8