• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Claymore (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
On the cover of vol. 3 and the starting screen there is what is obviously an awakened being. Who is this awakened being? It doesn't appear in this vol. Is it supposed to be spoiler[Ophelia?]

Yes, although that picture seems a bit distorted from what you actually see in the respective episodes.

As for the trailers: I'm somewhat surprised even that much effort has been put in so far. Consistently having trailers for the next volume hasn't traditionally been the norm for Funimation.

Still waiting for my copy to come, especially since I've lost the fansub to one of these episodes. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dizzon wrote:
On the cover of vol. 3 and the starting screen there is what is obviously an awakened being. Who is this awakened being? It doesn't appear in this vol. Is it supposed to be spoiler[Ophelia?]

Yes, although that picture seems a bit distorted from what you actually see in the respective episodes.

As for the trailers: I'm somewhat surprised even that much effort has been put in so far. Consistently having trailers for the next volume hasn't traditionally been the norm for Funimation.

Still waiting for my copy to come, especially since I've lost the fansub to one of these episodes. . .

Thanks, I figured it was her. It just seems weird that she has a different head on the cover. As far as the trailers go, I to was surprised to see trailers for upcoming volumes and I was hoping it would continue. I guess maybe its a cost cutting measure, or they "restructured" the person in charge of trailers.

On a side note, I have to ask this question because its bugging the heck out of me. In one of the episodes in this volume there is a scene where spoiler[Clare kisses Raki.] Without giving to much away, spoiler[at some point do they become romantically involved? Or was it just a way to get Raki to agree to go his separate way for at least a while?] That scene caught me off guard, I thought I knew what their relationship was before that.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
On a side note, I have to ask this question because its bugging the heck out of me. In one of the episodes in this volume there is a scene where spoiler[Clare kisses Raki.] Without giving to much away, spoiler[at some point do they become romantically involved? Or was it just a way to get Raki to agree to go his separate way for at least a while?] That scene caught me off guard, I thought I knew what their relationship was before that.

I think that was much-discussed about 40 or so pages back in this thread. Without getting much into spoilers, spoiler[the exact nature of their relationship is never completely made clear, though I have always had a "big sister/little brother" impression about them. Granted, that kiss isn't consistent with that kind of relationship, which always left me wondering if that wasn't just Clare's way of demonstrating to Raki exactly what he'd done for her and how seriously she took her pledge at that point.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lllwtflll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
This series had been on my "to watch" list for a couple months now, but I finally got around to watching it just last wednesday. Have to say, I got completely hooked and I've already finished it, so I thought I'd come in here and leave a few general comments about the show.

Overall, it was great entertainment! The series really started off with a bang, and I was completely mesmerized after the first 8 or 9 episodes! After Teresa's arc though, I felt the show took just a slight step back - not by very much though. I've heard people say that after her arc, the show began to fall victim to too many blatantly "shonen" style storytelling elements. I myself didn't mind this at all and thoroughly enjoyed the episodes that followed her arc. This is perhaps because I'm still fairly new to anime, so all of these "shonen" elements everyone speaks of - and have evidently had quite enough of - still feel pretty new to me.

Looking back though, I feel that the last quarter or so of the series could not sustain the momentum of the first 3 quarters. I think this is because, while I certainly love great action sequences, I prefer good character development to anything else. For me, what hooked me to the series wasn't the action or the gore - it was the unlikely bond that was created between Raki and Clare. I really wanted to see how their relationship was going to progress. However, after the point where spoiler[ they split paths during the ophelia arc], it seems as though the series lost a bit of that humanistic touch.

Still, it was a great series nonetheless. The ending was sufficiently satisfying, though it seemed to leave the door wide open for a second season considering some of the loose ends it left untied - for example, obviously, spoiler[ what would become of Priscilla and Isley] for one.

Some of the other things that are still on my mind include:
spoiler[Why weren't the current number 1 & 2 in the organization ever brought up?]
spoiler[What became of Irene? I guess Rafaela must have killed her... And also, what was the deal with Rafaela and this "great power" of hers?]
spoiler[Something I see others have also wondered about - exactly what kind of relationship do Clare and Raki have? After their parting kiss, I gotta say I expected a very different reception for Raki than what he received. Definitely didn't expect them to make out or anything just to clarify, but I did expect Clare to be a little more excited to see him.]
spoiler[I was a little disappointed that we never saw Duff and "his girl" again. I thought she would've shown up at some point during the battle of Pieta.]

There were a couple other things which I can't quite remember right now. Oh well, I guess I'll have to read the manga to have the questions cleared up!

My rating: 8.5/10
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
The short answer for your first spoiler[#s 1 & 2] and fourth spoiler[Riful and Duff] questions, the series ran out of time to go further into that. The manga spoiler[introduces 1&2] shortly after the events of the anime end, and it would have introduced far too many questions for the end of a series. As for spoiler[Riful and Duff], they were not the primary concern at that point, and their arrival would have distracted from the anime's effort to tie up as much as possible at the end, spoiler[particularly Priscella].

On the second question, regarding the first part, yes, that is what is implied, and while the manga doesn't either make it explicit, there is no evidence to the contrary, and the characterization of spoiler[Rafeala] is such that she is unlikely to have acted otherwise. On the second part, that's something of a major plot point just a little later in the manga, spoiler[and then re-raised later very much connected to a major plot string.]

On the third issue, that's something of a deviation from the manga, spoiler[as Raki goes a much longer time before meeting up again with Clare (he still hasn't yet, to be honest), so the anime writers probably had to decide how Clare would react based on what they knew. Plus, Clare was more likely focused on the connection to the other important relationship in her life, her one with Teresa, and that overshadowed her reunion with Raki.]
lllwtflll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Really? spoiler[They still haven't met up again in the manga yet?] Hmmm...

Just curious, I see that volume 14 of the manga is being released here in early march. How many volumes have been released in Japan? And what's the lag time between a volume being released in Japan and then in North America? I've never actually read any manga before, but I kinda wanna take this one up! I really want to see where the story goes!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
The encyclopedia shows up to 14, but doesn't list anything after October 2008, and I think the 15th volume should have come out around November or December if it was on schedule. Lag time looks to be about a year. The chapters currently being published (monthly) in Japan will be part of the 16th volume. The anime covers up to about volume 11.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
OK ya'll. So I finally finished Claymore. All 26 episodes of the anime. The impression that I got from before all 26 episodes of the series were released in R1 was that the anime somehow ended before the manga. But after seeing the final dubbed episode, the ending couldn't be more vague. I mean it seems to me that this could easily be extended to another season at least. There was absolutely no resolution to the story. So I ask, am I mistaken in the fact that Claymore could at some point get another season animated?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
OK ya'll. So I finally finished Claymore. All 26 episodes of the anime. The impression that I got from before all 26 episodes of the series were released in R1 was that the anime somehow ended before the manga. But after seeing the final dubbed episode, the ending couldn't be more vague. I mean it seems to me that this could easily be extended to another season at least. There was absolutely no resolution to the story. So I ask, am I mistaken in the fact that Claymore could at some point get another season animated?

The ending was vague because the Anime finished before the Manga (which is still ongoing even now). Therefore they had to come up with an original "ending" for the last two episodes.

The probability of a second season for Claymore is probably rather low, but hey, you never know. On the other hand, Berserk still hasn't gotten a second season (and probably never will), so it doesn't look good for Clare and the rest.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
dizzon wrote:

The ending was vague because the Anime finished before the Manga (which is still ongoing even now). Therefore they had to come up with an original "ending" for the last two episodes.

The probability of a second season for Claymore is probably rather low, but hey, you never know. On the other hand, Berserk still hasn't gotten a second season (and probably never will), so it doesn't look good for Clare and the rest.

I should have made it more clear that I knew the manga was still ongoing, that is why episode 26 seemed like is wasn't meant to be a conclusion. At one point the manga starts to center around Galatea right? Well spoiler[in the final episode they seemed to have gone out of their way to show Galatea and get her opinion on the current situation.]

It's more than possible that I am reading more into this then is evident, but with the exception of spoiler[ Gene ] no character had anything resembling resolution.

By the way, I do realize Berserk's anime didn't get a proper conclusion but it feels like they had planned on more. It's probably just wishful thinking on my part though.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
I should have made it more clear that I knew the manga was still ongoing, that is why episode 26 seemed like is wasn't meant to be a conclusion. At one point the manga starts to center around Galatea right? Well spoiler[in the final episode they seemed to have gone out of their way to show Galatea and get her opinion on the current situation.]

It's more than possible that I am reading more into this then is evident, but with the exception of spoiler[ Gene ] no character had anything resembling resolution.

No, Clare also very definitely has a resolution; in fact, that's the entire point of not only the last episode, but the way Madhouse slanted the anime version in general.

I'll be commenting at length on this when I do my review for vol. 6 (which I expected to get Tuesday). Hopefully it'll be posted later this week.
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dizzon wrote:

No, Clare also very definitely has a resolution; in fact, that's the entire point of not only the last episode, but the way Madhouse slanted the anime version in general.

I'll be commenting at length on this when I do my review for vol. 6 (which I expected to get Tuesday). Hopefully it'll be posted later this week.

I guess I missed that. To me at least it didn't seem like Clare had resolution, but I also don't know how far the anime strays off the source material. So in your opinion, would a second season be possible? Or did episode 26 vere off course too much?
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The probability of a second season for Claymore is probably rather low, but hey, you never know.

Claymore sold on average about 5,000 copies per DVD in Japan, respectable but hardly blockbuster numbers. I don't think another round of Claymore is very likely.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
I guess I missed that. To me at least it didn't seem like Clare had resolution, but I also don't know how far the anime strays off the source material. So in your opinion, would a second season be possible? Or did episode 26 vere off course too much?

The late episodes of the anime strayed from the source material in a few major ways:

1. In the manga, spoiler[Raki never actually made it to Pieta, and thus never hooked back up with Clare.]

2. In the manga, spoiler[Clare and Priscilla did not meet at Pieta and go to battle elsewhere. (In fact, several years have passed in the manga and they still have yet to meet.)]

3. In the manga, spoiler[Clare sprouted those wing-like projections from her back during the fight with Rigaldo instead of during a fight with Priscilla. Likewise, the scene where Jean died helping bring Clare back from the brink happened in Pieta immediately followed the Rigaldo fight rather than following a Priscilla fight, albeit in an almost word-for-word similar fashion.] However, this change is of minimal consequence to the plot.

4. In the manga, spoiler[Raki never finds out that Priscilla is an Awakened Being (i.e. the cave incident doesn't happen) and some of the "road trip" scenes with him, Priscilla, and Isley didn't happen.]

5. In the manga, spoiler[the remaining Claymores apparently fall in Pieta under the Awakened Being onslaught, but seven survive by playing possum. As in the anime, they agree to abandon the Organization and take their own path.]

The scene where spoiler[Flora confronts Clare] happens in the manga but plays out very differently, though that has no impact on the plot and, honestly, I felt was handled better in the anime anyway.

Now, I'm in the apparent minority who thinks that, the way the anime set up, it would be possible to bring it at least generally back on a parallel track with the manga on a continuation. However, I don't expect that to happen. Besides, for all the loose ends the anime version left hanging, it did complete its main story, which in the anime is ultimately about saving Clare from herself. The manga only really gives lip service to that notion, thus making the story a more pure action tale.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Oi oi Key, save it for the review. You won't have much left to talk about at this rate. Only kidding.

I'm up to episode twenty myself and am quite into the series. I am curious to see what overall rating you will give to Claymore's finale, given all the current fuss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 63 of 65