• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Claymore (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
This is the relevant news article.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I repeat: Claymore is still ongoing as a manga. STILL ONGOING. As in, it is still being made. Right now. The mangaka is still slaving away producing new chapters. It's not over, not yet anyway.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claymore_(manga)[/url]
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why that hyperlinking isn't working in that last post, but that page doesn't give any indication of any new chapters still being in production.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Not sure why that hyperlinking isn't working in that last post, but that page doesn't give any indication of any new chapters still being in production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Claymore_chapters

Please look near the bottom and note the publish date of Volume 23: it's December 4, 2012. And there are two new chapters that haven't been formatted yet.

I don't understand why you guys are having such difficulty believing that Claymore is still being published, but it is. You can even go to certain sites and read reviews of the latest chapters as well as extensive discussion about said chapters. So, as I said, yes, it is still being published.
Ferian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This is the relevant news article.

It's kind of sctrange that I've been reading this manga monthly for half a year after it's end. Rolling Eyes
That article is based on a misleading statement at the end of that month's chapter. The author chose to either troll the audience or just be a wiseass and finished the chapter with the words, "Claymore - End" but spoiler[referring to the Claymore Organization rather than the manga.]
Not sure why it was never edited after a new chapter had appeared in the next issue of the magazine.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
There was some confusion in regards to the end of chapter 126 (first Chapter of Vol 23). This came about in part due to the postscript which finished with the line "the end" which got everyone into a panic. The preview page for the June issue also did not list Claymore and some took this as confirmation that the manga was over. The postscript was actually in regards to a plot line that was finished, over, ended. Not that the whole story was finished. Many people thought that May 2012 chapter was the last, yet obviously the manga has continued to be published. As we are up to around chapter 133 now. However, there is no doubt that the story is winding down to its final battle and conclusion. I would guess there is probably 3-4 more chapters left to complete it, so I would say probably April-May of this year when it finally ends. Unless Yagi decides to really stretch it out.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't understand why you guys are having such difficulty believing that Claymore is still being published, but it is. You can even go to certain sites and read reviews of the latest chapters as well as extensive discussion about said chapters. So, as I said, yes, it is still being published.

Because the article was from a news source I trust(ed) and was not corrected. Plus, I don't pirate the manga so I'd have no way of knowing more chapters came out and it was incorrect.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
That's why I used wikipedia as my source.

And for the record, I don't pirate the manga, either. I just read the chapter reviews to keep up on what's going on. I've never seen any of the manga and am not interested in doing so.
By_the_Jelly_Beans?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard this is correct. It is still doing the monthly run in Jump Square...which I think was mentioned on here somewhere...as well as another website.

Either way I was planning on just keep buying them cause I like the story. Not to mention as long as the writer is still alive even if it is stopped it can always be brought back. (*cough* Black Lagoon *cough*)
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
The manga is ongoing and although it certainly seems to be nearing it's climax and conclusion, Yagi is stretching things out with long combat scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a couple of volumes worth yet at that pace. And depending on how he ends and feels about it, the storyline gives the possibility of a spinoff/sequel if he and the editors so choose.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:13 pm Reply with quote
For a series that's been dead/gone for over a decade I just re-watched it and have to say I still find it amazing. Yes it's a very straight forward hero's journey type of tale with lots of tropes but it is still a standout for me.

There is something consistently atmospheric and focused about it that keeps me engaged. The violence is rough but oddly tame by a lot of today's productions. I think it was the first time I'd seen wholesale beheadings in anime.

On re-watch I did notice a few things that keep it from being as amazing as I remembered.

1. Raki (Rocky)'s voice is still as obnoxious on dub as ever. I'd scrub his entire character from the script if I could. He completely pulls me out of my enjoyment watching every time he speaks on screen. The choice for dubs was not good imho. The voice is too childish for the role he plays and is more suited to a 10yr old...which still wouldn't keep me from disliking him but at least it would make more sense.

2. Theresa > ALL. She's a great character who changes and shifts and evolves in great ways and she overshadows all the other characters in any scene, including Clare.

3. The artwork at least the Funimation version I watched is good (decent) but in a lot of scenes, especially the church and water fights, way too dark to the point that it feels like they cheaped out or something. Only about 1/2 my screen is illuminated so there isn't much detail on the Yoma. Wish they'd brightened these scenes up even though the somber, almost black and white aspects of the show work for me overall.

4. I never realized before but the Claymore's all default in profile to having some kind of duckbill overbite. It is a bit distracting once I noticed it. Makes an otherwise stoic face become a bit too goofy and since it happens to most of the characters it ends up making them look clonish but not in a good way (the grim, colorless faces and white hair is enough already).

5. Still giving this one a must watch score because it's one of those seminal anime experiences for me. Honestly its one of probably 3 things I watched many years ago that caught my attention enough that I come back to keep watching.

6. Awakened beings seems like a strange term. Is it a translation thing? Nothing seems awakened as much as insanofied. Just curious how this would translate or if it comes from some fuller explanation.

On one hand I'm sad it ended on the other, I think it did great things with the episodes it had and I came away feeling enough closure to respect it as a complete story.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I honestly wish it would get a remake. The character designs were good enough for that SD digital age of animation (thank you, Madhouse). But I feel it would look stellar with today's techniques. Not to mention the manga was only halfway through its run when the anime had to deviate and stop.

It definitely has a great dark fantasy vibe, though. The score was also pretty great. In fact, Claymore is so atmospheric, I think it's as close to Berserk as you can get, without it actually being Berserk. The '97 (Berserk) series is mighty fine, but the omission of Skull Knight and the ultraviolence brought it one notch down from a Masterpiece for me. Claymore just needs that HD digital sheen and the rest of its actual story.

Maybe fans will get lucky and some high-powered studio will decide to redo it, someday.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh agree! I'm looking at the anime coming out today and some of it is so vivid and visually amazing I usually don't like remakes but if they could stay true to the tone set by the original I think they could clean up a lot visually and make a real masterpiece.

I paused my watching of a few other series (since I'm a novice) to go back and rewatch this because I wanted to compare what I think I remembered from before with what I'm starting to see now. It still stands up but today's tech/skills could really bring it to life. I'd just be worried as with any remake that they'd want to put some new spin on it. More story yes...different story not so much please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 65 of 65