• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Manga: Reactions of Those You Know

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
I have one for anime soundtracks in the music forum, and I think it would be interesting to see how people you know reacted to any certain manga they may have read. Whether it be good or bad, got them hooked on it, or made them hate it with ultimate disgust.

Back in Japan I would buy manga all the time, but the manga I was reading was not anything like a Shonen Jump/Sunday/Magazine title. These were KoroKoro manga. One day I bought Detective Conan manga (we were loyal viewers of the anime). What I didn't know was that spoiler[there was a head missing from a person ]in the first chapter of the manga. I said nothing about this when I saw it, but when my brother looked at it he showed it to my mom, who in turn went completely berserk. First she tore the pages of violence and blood out of the manga book, then she decided to just throw it away and reimburse me for the money I spent on the Conan manga. In a way it influenced me enough today that I do not read Conan manga. At times she has seen some of the manga that I carry now, like Rave Master. She looked at it and said "How can you read stuff with so much blood in it?!" However this time, she let it be and gave it back to me. I guess your stuff will get left alone when you're 20 compared to 12. Just hope she doesn't find my hentai manga.
My sister looked at one of my Fruits Basket manga once, and it was the volume that had the "naked" debut of Rin. She looked at it and yelled, "Ah! You're looking at naked women!" If only she would read the entire series, which I'll try and have her do.

So my friends, have you had any adventures with having to deal with your parents or somebody you know in your quest to keep the thing you love to read?
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:10 am Reply with quote
My parents are generally really nice with me and they don't impose their exigencies upon me which is a very good thing taking into consideration that I am a very stubborn person. Wink Nonetheless they still have some opinions of what I am reading when they see me and I think that my mom had the strongest reaction against something I have read so far.

I was reading Berserk in my livingroom (why I did such a huge mistake even now I don't know Shocked ). The phone rang and I went to answer and when I got back my mom was in the living room and she was looking at what I was reading. Unfortunately it was the eclipse part which is well known by those of you that have already read this manga. And she went ballistic: "How can you read such a horrible thing like this? You who have studied valuable literature (don't know what's that got to do with it - my thoughts) and then you read crap like this?" I tried to explain to her that it's not that bad. Needless to say that I didn't have any succes and the rest of the manga I was obliged to read it in secrecy. On the other hand, a week ago while I was leaving the house she came running after me and happy, like she did something really sweet, gave me a volume from Fruits Basket (I like to have something to read on my way to college) and she said: You forgot this! She is just so sweet sometimes.

On the other hand, my sister, seing me all the time reading Fruits Basket, started to read it and liked it very much. So it would be very nice to talk to her really soon about the entire series. Very Happy

fighterholic wrote:
Quote:
Just hope she doesn't find my hentai manga.

Laughing Laughing
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quote
A few years back, I ended up getting my mother to actually read a volume of manga (Mars vol 1), so she would actually have an idea what it was instead of just judging it as similar to North American comics. While it didn't inspire her to read more, sadly, she did admit that it wasn't what she had expected. I remember she had some trouble figuring out who was saying what (which is understandable, sometimes it takes a bit of time to get that).
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
Never really had a problem with manga with my folks. My dad doesn't take an intrest in it at all. It turns out he doesn't have anything against anime, he just isn't a fan of animation in general. Alothugh he HAS watched Beavis and Butthead with me and my big brother. And he's seen King of the Hill, and the Simpsons. My mom has seen stuff like that(Told her about the new Bartender anime since she likes Cheers). She's seen Spirited Away, Detective Conan(Case Closed), and took me to see the Yu-GI-Oh! movie(I was 13 at the time). My brother who lives in California(And is my only sibling) can't stand anime and said if there was ever an anime convention, I would never be able to get him to go(He knows his little brother is obsessed with anime Laughing ). However he DOES still respect my right to read and watch what I like and that's one reason why I love him.

Most of my friends are otaku as well. But a good majority of them are only intrested in stuff like Naruto(I DO like Naruto but there ARE better anime). One of my fellow otaku buddies is open to pretty much any anime('cept yaoi. Thank God). I even got him to watch one of my favorite non-shounen shows: Ichigo Mashimaro. And low and behold, he actually thought it was pretty good. I only have one friend who doesn't like anime(The one who I say is like my little brother). He's a sports fan so I showed him my first DVD of Baki the Grappler. I don't know what he thought of it though and have never asked him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I tend to do my anime and manga thing in private so as to avoid comments from the parental, but I used to watch CN's dinner-time anime in the living room (back when shows like DBZ and Tenchi Muyo were on).

Although I was an anime newbie and was embarrassed by the blatant "swimsuit-comparing" in Tenchi Muyo's hot spring episode (which of course has nothing to do with swimsuits originally), my mother never commented on it. I'm sure if the scene was unedited she would have had something to say.

The only negative thing she's said is that she didn't like all the screaming and yelling and punching in DBZ. She thought it was influencing me in encouraging me to get angry and punch things (no, that's just an anger problem I have, I'm dealing with it better now).

Now, since I'm generally watching uncut anime on DVD, I do it when she's not around just to avoid any potential comments (not like it's hentai). I just have to hope she never finds my volumes of robot, since that's basically the closest thing I have to anything ecchi.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
You know I've never really had any problems with family or friends and any of my reading selections. Being an only child I started reading early to keep myself occupied. I still am an avid reader today. I read normal comics, manga, books, magazines, hentai, just about anything. My parents exposed me at an early age to violence and sex so I was educated. My dad was a cop for 28 years so making sure I was up on violence and gun safety was a big deal for him. When they saw me reading what I call "scantilous" material they kinda shrugged it off. I guess they figured if I was mature enough to handle and know how to fire a glock 21 with .40 cal hollow point rounds then I was old enough to read more mature material.

Now, my grandmother and aunt are a different matter. My mother's sister (aunt) and my grandmother are very strick baptists. My grandmother thinks my goth friend Timo is a devil worshiper. The fact he likes organic foods means he also does ritual sacrifices. I'm not joking either. I've had many a lecture on how the anime and hentai (yea she found my hentai and adult art prints, she goes through everyone;'s room and stuff) is sinfull and I only do it because of the negative influence from my devil worshiping friend. I'm such a nice boy to let my soul be tainted. This is all true I swear.
Of course, my grandmother has been diagnosed in the past 2 years with dementia and chronic psychosis. Imagine the holidays and the fun I have Rolling Eyes

My aunt, she's a closest homophobe who simply uses religion as her excuse for everything. From wizard and witched themed stuff to adult material to homosexuality. It's all wrong so sayeth the good book. In actuality I am convinced she has other mental issues. The fact her mom, and my mom's mom has dementia and mentioned makes me wonder. She thinks, like my grandmother, that my friends influence me badly. The anime girls and adult images from Luis Royo and others I have hanging are sinful and her precious boys would never do that. She has always held a grudge cause I got my cousin Brian into Heavy Metal and Alternative Rock. She won't let her young boys watch Harry Potter cause he's a witch and that's evil. Yet, they can watch the Lord of the RIng's movies cause Gandolf is a "Wizard" and that's ok. I tried explaining the actual terms and what they mean and she just got preachy. They also can't watch Pirates of the Carribbean cause Jonny Depp is a lecherous immoral man who will burn in hell. Imagine her happiness when I brought a volume of Battle Royale and Battle Vixens with me to read last time we had a family get together. Fun times. Both her and my grandmother, and my own family, know better then to take my stuff though. NOONE takes my stuff that I paid for without a problem.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
You know I've never really had any problems with family or friends and any of my reading selections. Being an only child I started reading early to keep myself occupied. I still am an avid reader today. I read normal comics, manga, books, magazines, hentai, just about anything. My parents exposed me at an early age to violence and sex so I was educated. My dad was a cop for 28 years so making sure I was up on violence and gun safety was a big deal for him. When they saw me reading what I call "scantilous" material they kinda shrugged it off. I guess they figured if I was mature enough to handle and know how to fire a glock 21 with .40 cal hollow point rounds then I was old enough to read more mature material.

Now, my grandmother and aunt are a different matter. My mother's sister (aunt) and my grandmother are very strick baptists. My grandmother thinks my goth friend Timo is a devil worshiper. The fact he likes organic foods means he also does ritual sacrifices. I'm not joking either. I've had many a lecture on how the anime and hentai (yea she found my hentai and adult art prints, she goes through everyone;'s room and stuff) is sinfull and I only do it because of the negative influence from my devil worshiping friend. I'm such a nice boy to let my soul be tainted. This is all true I swear.
Of course, my grandmother has been diagnosed in the past 2 years with dementia and chronic psychosis. Imagine the holidays and the fun I have Rolling Eyes

My aunt, she's a closest homophobe who simply uses religion as her excuse for everything. From wizard and witched themed stuff to adult material to homosexuality. It's all wrong so sayeth the good book. In actuality I am convinced she has other mental issues. The fact her mom, and my mom's mom has dementia and mentioned makes me wonder. She thinks, like my grandmother, that my friends influence me badly. The anime girls and adult images from Luis Royo and others I have hanging are sinful and her precious boys would never do that. She has always held a grudge cause I got my cousin Brian into Heavy Metal and Alternative Rock. She won't let her young boys watch Harry Potter cause he's a witch and that's evil. Yet, they can watch the Lord of the RIng's movies cause Gandolf is a "Wizard" and that's ok. I tried explaining the actual terms and what they mean and she just got preachy. They also can't watch Pirates of the Carribbean cause Jonny Depp is a lecherous immoral man who will burn in hell. Imagine her happiness when I brought a volume of Battle Royale and Battle Vixens with me to read last time we had a family get together. Fun times. Both her and my grandmother, and my own family, know better then to take my stuff though. NOONE takes my stuff that I paid for without a problem.

Boy, Psycho. Your family sounds crazy. I know how it's like being an "only child". However, I think I was considered an only child because my brother didn't live with us. I wasn't REALLY lonely though. I had and still have a lot of great friends and to me, they're my siblings. It's probably also because my family is somewhat similar to yours.

My dad's mom(My other grandmother) is racist, homophobic, and just not fun to be around. Christmas Eve, we have a family get-together which is just oodles of fun[/sarcasm]. Every time someone has to leave early, my grandmother bitches about it for no reason. My folks say we go beacuse "she doesn't have a lot of time left" but that's no reason to make everyone else's life hell. On Christmas Eve, Me and my cousins get sweatshirts which I barely wear and before an hour even passes, I'm already begging to go home. My cousins(younger and older) are little dickheads. Most of them came from moms who pretty much drank while they were pregnant so that REALLY makes me(and my brother) wonder if I'm really related to them or if I was adopted. My little cousins are rude, obnoxious, and can go f**k themselves for all I care. Same with the older ones. I have ONE cousin on my dad's side who I actually DO like. He also likes anime so we get along and try to keep to ourselves. I really don't feel like I fit in there. My aunts and uncles are racist too and those that aren't are alcholics. I don't consider ANY of those people my family(Except my dad, mom, and older brother) and my friends are more my family to me than my aunts uncles and cousins. At least my friends aren't dicks to me.

EDIT:Y'know the funny thing about my friend(The one who doesn't like anime) is that he fits the little brother role perfectly(at least to me). He's obnoxious, irritating, and embarrasing. All the traits a stereotypical younger brother would have. This one time, a girl asked for a pickle(don't ask. I honestly don't know) so I gave her his without thinking and then he tells me to ask her if she wants my number. Like WTF?! I didn't even know her. Then sometime after that, we were at the small river(incredibly small) by the restaurant we were eating at and he suggests we should live out there. He's got two sisters who he probably(no, defineatly) embarrases too. But he is a good kid, and young(he's 12) so I can't blame him. I say I'm like an embarrased older brother. I can't really take my friend anywhere(except the movies. My other friend embarassed me and my brother then). But I do try to look out for him(even if he doesn't know it) and am kinda protective of him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
I think your aunt has issues if she won't let her kids watch Captain Jack Sparrow, psycho. My mom at times happens to be a religious fanatic as well, but she lets us watch stuff such as Harry Potter. The thing is when anything sex related comes up on television or in a movie, depending upon how bad it is, she'll throw a fit. She doesn't like us talking about it, looking at it, listening to anything about it (take Sexyback and Buttons as an example).
sasukes_lover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
I haven't really had a problem with my parents either. They don't really care about me liking anime. I did have a problem with my art teacher though. Me and my friend Chase were talking about anime and how we want to go to Japan one day to expirience the culture and things like that, then we just started talking about ramdom anime. My art teacher was listening to our conversation (which we did not know at the time) so she came up to us and started asking us questions about it. She asked things like, "don't your parents care you have an over obsession with anime" "that anime stuff freaks me out" "it has to do with devils and demons and stuff and that just freaks me out." <--- those were some of the things she said to us, we just kinda sat there and shook our heads no because we did not want to get into an argument with her because she already did not like my friend Chase for various reasons. So now every time we talk about anime or something like that she just kinda stares at us weird. But that's about it for me. My parents say as long as I am reading it's fine (with a few exceptions but I don't show them what I read so it doesn't matter Anime hyper)
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
sasukes_lover wrote:
I haven't really had a problem with my parents either. They don't really care about me liking anime. I did have a problem with my art teacher though. Me and my friend Chase were talking about anime and how we want to go to Japan one day to expirience the culture and things like that, then we just started talking about ramdom anime. My art teacher was listening to our conversation (which we did not know at the time) so she came up to us and started asking us questions about it. She asked things like, "don't your parents care you have an over obsession with anime" "that anime stuff freaks me out" "it has to do with devils and demons and stuff and that just freaks me out." <--- those were some of the things she said to us, we just kinda sat there and shook our heads no because we did not want to get into an argument with her because she already did not like my friend Chase for various reasons. So now every time we talk about anime or something like that she just kinda stares at us weird. But that's about it for me. My parents say as long as I am reading it's fine (with a few exceptions but I don't show them what I read so it doesn't matter Anime hyper)

Y'know. I know a kid whose name is Chase. Tell me. Does this Chase wear anime shirts most of the time? Does he work at a store called "Lost World of Wonders"? And does he go to a school in Greenfield?

Anyway your teacher sounds stupid. No one really cares about my love for anime. My English teacher teases me for drawing "Japanese cartoons" so I just tease him back about being bald. Laughing
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
psycho101 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
My aunt, she's a closest homophobe who simply uses religion as her excuse for everything. From wizard and witched themed stuff to adult material to homosexuality. It's all wrong so sayeth the good book. In actuality I am convinced she has other mental issues. The fact her mom, and my mom's mom has dementia and mentioned makes me wonder. She thinks, like my grandmother, that my friends influence me badly. The anime girls and adult images from Luis Royo and others I have hanging are sinful and her precious boys would never do that.

and Shonen Bat too....

Guys, you really have difficult relatives. Geeezzz... Shocked I never imagined that Harry Potter or Pirates could become so hateful things. I mean, that incident with my mom was an exception that never happened again and she likes the fact that I am interested in other cultures. The anime and manga were the ones that were my starter point in taking an interest in Japanese and started to learn it. Now, other than the fact that some of my relatives are being obssessed in me getting married (though I am far from having the maturity and the true age for this), they respect the fact that I like different things, being them anime, manga or any other things that might cross my mind. Of course they aren't open minded about everything (they are human after all) but they are far from what you have described. I really consider myself lucky.

Shonen Bat wrote:
Quote:
Anyway your teacher sounds stupid. No one really cares about my love for anime. My English teacher teases me for drawing "Japanese cartoons" so I just tease him back about being bald

Laughing Good for you! Laughing I have some of my friends that really don't understand my passion for anime or manga and sometimes they have a superior look when I am mentioning this topic, but I don't care. What I like is what I like and I really don't care what everybody else thinks about it. Very Happy
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
Wow! Some of your families seem a little...different. My family is indifferent to manga, the only complaint they have is that it's a waste of money. But it does help that my sibling likes manga as well.

I feel for you guys who have racist, homophobic relatives.
My relatives are slightly racist (My dad is white, my mom is black, they were not so happy about him marrying her, blah blah blah). But really-organic foods=devil worship? Religion can screw people up sometimes.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
Wow! Some of your families seem a little...different.
Agreed.

Reading this thread makes me thankful for the parents I was blessed with. They're a little like psycho 101's parents, especially in the department of firearms (my dad collects guns and my mother is quite fond of them as well.) They never tried to force any beliefs on me or try to make me agree with them on anything other than what the house rules were.

The worst reaction I could ever expect would be from my mother and it would probably be something like aya_honda's mother's reaction. She might be upset at some particular aspect of a series, but she wouldn't burn the book or force me to dispose of my meager collection.

It's funny. My parents are religious and politically conservative (as am I with just a few liberal leanings) yet they've never acted in any way like the crazies I've read about on this thread. I'm grateful to have the parents I have. They've bought me a lot of anime and manga without grilling me about it's contents or examining it themselves. They trust me completely and allow me the freedom to entertain myself how I choose.

This thread just reminded me how lucky I am, so thanks guys!
sasukes_lover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
Y'know. I know a kid whose name is Chase. Tell me. Does this Chase wear anime shirts most of the time? Does he work at a store called "Lost World of Wonders"? And does he go to a school in Greenfield?

Anyway your teacher sounds stupid. No one really cares about my love for anime. My English teacher teases me for drawing "Japanese cartoons" so I just tease him back about being bald. Laughing

I think we are talking about two different people, if you hadn't have mentioned that your Chase goes to school in Greenfield, then they could have been the same person. We go to private school so we have to wear uniforms, but he likes to come with his anime. Last week he wore an Alchemist jacket to school which was pretty cool Very Happy

Richard J. wrote:
They've bought me a lot of anime and manga without grilling me about it's contents or examining it themselves.

One of the only things my parents say about my anime is most of the time I have to buy it with my own money because they say it is expensive (sometimes it is) But they will give me gift cards to go to B&N or Borders or something like that when the holidays come around.

Last edited by sasukes_lover on Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="aya_honda"]psycho101 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
My aunt, she's a closest homophobe who simply uses religion as her excuse for everything. From wizard and witched themed stuff to adult material to homosexuality. It's all wrong so sayeth the good book. In actuality I am convinced she has other mental issues. The fact her mom, and my mom's mom has dementia and mentioned makes me wonder. She thinks, like my grandmother, that my friends influence me badly. The anime girls and adult images from Luis Royo and others I have hanging are sinful and her precious boys would never do that.

Quote:
and Shonen Bat too....

Quote:
Guys, you really have difficult relatives. Geeezzz... Shocked I never imagined that Harry Potter or Pirates could become so hateful things. I mean, that incident with my mom was an exception that never happened again and she likes the fact that I am interested in other cultures. The anime and manga were the ones that were my starter point in taking an interest in Japanese and started to learn it. Now, other than the fact that some of my relatives are being obssessed in me getting married (though I am far from having the maturity and the true age for this), they respect the fact that I like different things, being them anime, manga or any other things that might cross my mind. Of course they aren't open minded about everything (they are human after all) but they are far from what you have described. I really consider myself lucky.

My dad's side of our "family" have never really been there for me. Were they there when I turned 5? No. Were they there when I graduated Elementary and then Middle School? No. Were they there when I turned 10? No. The same with my 15th birthday. Were they there when I needed them? Oh, HELL NO!

All they've TRULY done for me is make my life Hell. Christmas Eve is supposed to be fun right? It's supposed to bring families together right? Well it drives me farther and farther from them. I love my life, but when I go there, I just want to die. That's how much I can't stand them.

My REAL family is nothing like that. I've got good parents(even if we have totally different tastes),and a wonderful brother who I love more than anyone else. I feel that sometimes when he comes down to see us, I kinda cling to him. Then again, I'm his younger brother so it's not really weird for a younger sibling, not matter how old, to cling to their elder sibling, right? Even though my brother doesn't like anime(except for Ranma 1/2), he still helps me with anime stuff. I think that goes to show how much he cares about me and I'm grateful to have such a great brother. I couldn't have asked for a better brother.

This year, during the holidays, I was hoping I'd be able to spend Christmas Eve with my brother and my sister-in-law down in California. I really hope I'll be able to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10