• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem Fates' Western Release Won't Include Japanese Audio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Am I also correct in understanding that the series wasn't fully dubbed because Funi dropped the license halfway through?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Am I also correct in understanding that the series wasn't fully dubbed because Funi dropped the license halfway through?

Yes. Had it not been for Johnny and Associates pestering Funimation with their contracts, they might have gone on to finish Kodocha.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Yes. Had it not been for Johnny and Associates pestering Funimation with their contracts, they might have gone on to finish Kodocha.

Gotcha. Last question then: including asking you, Mr. Oshawott, has anyone here finished the rest of Kodocha in Japanese via some other means like fansubs or import DVDs?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Gotcha. Last question then: including asking you, Mr. Oshawott, has anyone here finished the rest of Kodocha in Japanese via some other means like fansubs or import DVDs?

Unfortunately, I haven't even gotten around to watching Kodocha yet...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Neither have I. I remember barely seeing one episode in one of the anime screening rooms at Anime L.A. 2007, but that's all I saw.
War_Destroyer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
War_Destroyer wrote:
I didn't even know that the game had a "petting" mechanic until recently, it just doesn't belong in Fire Emblem. Otaku may appreciate the creepy titillation, but this pandering, in my opinion, is impairing the creative expression of artists and negatively affecting their respective entertainment industries by focusing on such a small and socially odd demographic. The loss of the Japanese audio is unfortunate, but I prefer dubbed audio because I hate subtitles and because it's simply more engrossing, as it is for the vast majority of foreigners who enjoy Japanese media. Finally, the whole gay conversion nonsense is also unfortunate, I wish I could slap the idiot, who misinterpreted it and took offense...

Think you would be required to do a lot of slapping, because taking offense is the "IN" thing nowadays. You have seemingly taken offense to the "petting" mechanic, even though you are not required to use it.

I wonder if the artists, actually believe their creative expression is being impaired as you state. Also, the company's expectation and the actual financial rewards dictate whether or not their 'focusing', as you say, is a negative or a positive.

(On further thought, an artists creative expression and freedom is always restricted when working on a project other than their own.)

Dude, don't give me that nonsense, I've played countless RPGs on my PSP and Vita, and have a collection of Atlus games that dates back to the GBA, it'll take a hell of a lot more fan service for me to get up and walk away from a game or anime. It's the pandering itself that I find offensive, that there's a fool right now on some creative board somewhere saying that the game and or anime needs bigger boobs and more panty shots. It would be one thing if the franchise was built with fan service in mind to begin with, but they're turning a good storied franchise into another mindless run of the mill dating simulator or harem. I still have my Amazon pre-orders for both versions of Fates, I know that for now, that aspect of the game is voluntary, and it is for that reason that I want to criticize it now.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
War_Destroyer wrote:
is impairing the creative expression of artists and negatively affecting their respective entertainment industries by focusing on such a small and socially odd demographic.

No it's not especially when many of them are pretty much on board with this alleged pandering if any of them felt that way they would've quit the industry in droves ages ago.

War_Destroyer wrote:
The loss of the Japanese audio is unfortunate, but I prefer dubbed audio because I hate subtitles and because it's simply more engrossing, as it is for the vast majority of foreigners who enjoy Japanese media.

If this game is anything like Awakening which had partial voice acting you're going to not like this game and it's text heavy dialog that's not fully voiced.

War_Destroyer wrote:

but they're turning a good storied franchise into another mindless run of the mill dating simulator or harem.

This is franchise where a good portion of it's games range from meh to outright awful (incidentally many of which were never released stateside), had some of those "run of the mill dating simulator" mechanics for years, and up til of while of go had stagnated to the point of almost being retired by it's publisher.

In other words you're kind of being a bit melodramatic as to what Intelligent Systems have done with this game and Awakening which is something I've seen way too many of the more hardcore Fire Emblem fans doing.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
War_Destroyer wrote:

Dude, don't give me that nonsense, I've played countless RPGs on my PSP and Vita, and have a collection of Atlus games that dates back to the GBA, it'll take a hell of a lot more fan service for me to get up and walk away from a game or anime. It's the pandering itself that I find offensive, that there's a fool right now on some creative board somewhere saying that the game and or anime needs bigger boobs and more panty shots. .

Still find it interesting that you were originally complaining about something someone else found offensive, but yet admit that you found some other thing offensive. Kinda funny.
Mysteriala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
I want to thank Nintendo to help me to decide to not get this game. I was on the fence, but now I know I am not interested.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8