• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Durarara!! Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
FLEABttn wrote:
I didn't really mean to get into the specifics of each company, because it frankly doesn't matter. NISA, Viz, Discotek, Media Blasters, foreign ones like Madman and Kaze, all can do it cheaper. Either Aniplex USA can't (which is unlikely, as the right hand is licensing to the left), in which case we're better off with them going away, or they make more money at a higher price point with less units sold and it's a strategic business move that just so happens to draw a lot of criticism. Or some other reason, but as long as they insist on bucking the pricing trend that everyone else is following for no appreciative reason, people will continue to complain.

Since none of us know all the actual details of the licensing deal, I don't think it's totally fair to say Aniplex is scalping us. I'm not saying that's not the case one way or the other but in the end, the people who are willing to pay the price are going to buy, and those who are not won't. I don't think any complaining is going to make a difference, especially since Aniplex releases generally don't hit the bargain bin, similar to how NISA titles never do.

If it makes anyone feel better, I paid the full price of 36750 yen (that's 470 buckaroos) for the Japanese release. Of course I made the decision to pay this price, but I still can't help but roll my eyes when people are complaining about paying a third less than what I paid (ie. what it costs in Japan). It could be a lot, lot worse.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

I didn't hear those 8,000+ complain when they per-ordered the limited edition sets for that magical girl show
Clearly you were not paying attention. There was tons of bitching over the cost of the Madoka LEs.
Indeed, and many people ignore the regular DVD and BD just so they can make their statement of Madoka being overpriced.

I rarely see people not bitching about the LE's when they're brought up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:14 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Great. Now we just get to see how badly Aniplex is gonna rape us with the cost of the DRRR!! blurays. Confused

Well, they gotta make some cash to make up for all the vending machines Shizuo broke during production.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
$150 is quite a fair price imo. (And of course that's RightStuf's price, not the retail price.) Any lower and I think you guys really want to put Aniplex out of business.

Oh, please. You clearly know nothing about price mark-ups if you think Aniplex would be losing money by charging less than $190 MSRP for the Durarara!! BD set. All the materials already exist (i.e. dub) and no new license had to be purchased. I'd be shocked if it is costing Aniplex more than $30 per unit to get these things to the street: and that's all in - physical production costs, marketing, advertising, everything. They're going to make a very healthy per unit profit off these puppies.

They do have to pay for the license for the BD rights. The initial license only covered a DVD release. Of course I don't know the details of the contract, but I can't imagine the BD rights being cheap due to the possibility of reverse importation and the fact that the series is still very much popular in Japan. Notice how the series can't be shipped outside the U.S. and Canada.

You guys just want your anime and you want it cheap. I wouldn't mind it cheap either but I'm not going to make a big fuss about it. The DVDs were maybe $120 for the three sets at $40 apiece. $30 more for it on BD (so basically $10 more per set, if it were released in parts) is nothing to really sneeze at.

I'm not really trying to defend Aniplex's pricing or anything, but I do think everyone should stop complaining.

Even if AoA, the wholly-owned subsidiary of Aniplex, had to pay a license fee to its parent, it's just a dumb little shell game. Is Aniplex really going to extort top dollar from its subsidiary? So I don't think any license fee is going to add significantly to the price per unit cost. Again, you are simply expressing your ignorance if you think AoA's profit margin on a MRSP of $190 is razor thin. The thing is, that even if AoA is making a fat profit per unit, their OVERALL profit from this title probably is not going to be terribly significant because I don't think the item is going to sell like hot cakes. Let's say they sell 10,000 units (which I think they'd see as a tremendous performance) and let's say they are making $50 profit per unit (a number I'm plucking out of my butt) ... that's still only $500,000 profit which is not exactly a princely sum.

Anyway, where do you get off telling people not to complain? If you think the price is fabby, then good for you, but indicating that others should too simply makes you a tool.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Any lower and I think you guys really want to put Aniplex out of business.

Aniplex isn't going out of business anytime soon. It's owned by Sony, which should help you understand how influential the company is in the entertainment industry.

In addition, you also seem to have a belief R1 is significant to anime. Sadly, it is not. While it's helpful, the R1 market has been nothing more than "pocket change" to the anime industry (and it's why reverse importation is considered a threat).

The truth of the matter is, if R1 was to finance a single anime title on its own, the studio would be bankrupt with just a single series. R1 couldn't sustain the production with the market prices it has come to expect.

You also need to consider there's another market that helps Aniplex: merchandising. While we don't get as much of the goods Japan gets, we do get a few things, which are covered by licenses to be paid back to Aniplex. There are a few Durarara figures out now which helps to bolster revenue. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if there's a jump in merchandise sales with this bluray release.

DVD sales are dropping everywhere, and to those few who still want them, they'll not have any choice but to pay higher prices for them. We're already seeing them here, as the price increase is covered under two-part releases, or the fact 13 episode series now "on sale" at a price higher than $50. Not all titles do this, but newer titles certainly do (Angel Beats on bluray hasn't dropped below $50 despite being able to find older titles at nearly half the cost).

I can understand why fans are upset, but I concur they're being upset for the wrong reasons. They seem to believe everyone's still buying DVDs at such volume as to warrant the $50 price tag.

This bluray is priced because of a shrinking R1 market. If Aniplex had confidence a $50 price point would have made it profitable, they would have priced it accordingly.

It's my opinion the DVD sales didn't satisfy them to make the same mistake twice.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Even if AoA, the wholly-owned subsidiary of Aniplex, had to pay a license fee to its parent, it's just a dumb little shell game. Is Aniplex really going to extort top dollar from its subsidiary? So I don't think any license fee is going to add significantly to the price per unit cost. Again, you are simply expressing your ignorance if you think AoA's profit margin on a MRSP of $190 is razor thin. The thing is, that even if AoA is making a fat profit per unit, their OVERALL profit from this title probably is not going to be terribly significant because I don't think the item is going to sell like hot cakes. Let's say they sell 10,000 units (which I think they'd see as a tremendous performance) and let's say they are making $50 profit per unit (a number I'm plucking out of my butt) ... that's still only $500,000 profit which is not exactly a princely sum.

Anyway, where do you get off telling people not to complain? If you think the price is fabby, then good for you, but indicating that others should too simply makes you a tool.

Okay, let's back up a bit. You seem to be taking my comments a bit too literal. Did I literally mean Aniplex USA is going to go out of business if they choose a lower price point? Of course not. But the titles they choose to license ARE the more high profile series so costs are going to be higher and because they do not license as much as some other companies, the performance of one series would have a larger impact than maybe one series would to FUNimation or Sentai.

It was mentioned that the Durarara!! DVDs did not do as well as expected. It's possible they got into the red with the initial license or did not make enough of a profit. (One could argue that making any profit at all would be "enough profit" but of course there also operations costs outside production of the series itself that must be taken into consideration.) The BD release could be an effort to cover costs for the DVD release, or to increase profits so that they can have more to work with when licensing new shows.

Say Aniplex prices their releases at that cheap price that many people here are looking for. They price is so low that they just break even. For every show they license. It's not enough to break even because every time you license something, you're taking money out of your own pocket instead of of using the profits gained from a previous title. That's no way to run a business. Of course I know no company would bleed themselves like this but my point is that a larger profit margin is going to be necessary if Aniplex is going to continue licensing the high-profile series they have been picking up lately. The pricing for Durarara!! may not have an impact on this one series, but also other series as well.

Aniplex is not FUNimation. They are not Sentai. They are a different company and should be treated as such. Consumers shouldn't expect their pricing or their business models to be the same as any other company. I'm just trying to look at things from Aniplex's viewpoint here, which I think most people are ignoring. It's that buyer's complex where buyers will only see things from their perspective and their opinions are invariably going to be more advantageous to them. I work in customer service and these are the kinds of customers I deal with day in and day out. While it may seem unfair from the customer's viewpoint, I'm sure Aniplex has a reason for setting their prices at the levels they do.

I'm not saying everyone should rejoice at the price but I don't think they should complain either because anime is a luxury. It always has been. Similar to how some people feel entitled to their free fansubs, some are feeling entitled to cheap anime releases which is just a result of being spoiled by other releases by other companies.

Anyway, it's not very logical for the BD release to cost less than the DVD release. As I mentioned, it's maybe $120 for the DVD sets and $150 for the BDs from RightStuf. A $30 difference shouldn't be any cause for complaint.

Though it was not entirely my intention when I first started commenting here, now I really am starting to defend Aniplex's pricing, but it's just due to the flow of the discussion.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
Any lower and I think you guys really want to put Aniplex out of business.

Aniplex isn't going out of business anytime soon. It's owned by Sony, which should help you understand how influential the company is in the entertainment industry.

In addition, you also seem to have a belief R1 is significant to anime. Sadly, it is not. While it's helpful, the R1 market has been nothing more than "pocket change" to the anime industry (and it's why reverse importation is considered a threat).

I've explained above that I didn't literally mean that Aniplex would go out of business.

While reverse importation may not be a huge threat, it is still something that license holders are going to consider when licensing their titles. It is probably the reason why we're not getting BD releases of AoEx or Natsume Yuujinchou.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
@ GokuMew2 - well, one thing we agree on is that I'm in favour of Aniplex (or any other R1 distrib) pricing their titles at whatever point they feel will allow them to keep on releasing titles in the future. My impression is that nobody is getting super-rich playing the R1 anime game. I also don't feel the $150 price tag is out of whack; it's pretty much what I was expecting.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
I guess that's my take away as well. If this price point is the price point that allows them to do their thing, maximizing their profit, build their catalog, etc, I can't really begrudge them too much. It's high but still approachable.

Though I certainly hope they hesitate to take it much further north in price than this with future releases, one in particular notwithstanding.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
FLEABttn wrote:
It's high but still approachable.

Agreed, especially when people don't seem to be bitching about our two-part releases, which can easily hit $100. What's an extra $40.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Okay, let's back up a bit. You seem to be taking my comments a bit too literal. Did I literally mean Aniplex USA is going to go out of business if they choose a lower price point? Of course not. But the titles they choose to license ARE the more high profile series so costs are going to be higher and because they do not license as much as some other companies, the performance of one series would have a larger impact than maybe one series would to FUNimation or Sentai.

It was mentioned that the Durarara!! DVDs did not do as well as expected. It's possible they got into the red with the initial license or did not make enough of a profit. (One could argue that making any profit at all would be "enough profit" but of course there also operations costs outside production of the series itself that must be taken into consideration.) The BD release could be an effort to cover costs for the DVD release, or to increase profits so that they can have more to work with when licensing new shows.

Say Aniplex prices their releases at that cheap price that many people here are looking for. They price is so low that they just break even. For every show they license. It's not enough to break even because every time you license something, you're taking money out of your own pocket instead of of using the profits gained from a previous title. That's no way to run a business. Of course I know no company would bleed themselves like this but my point is that a larger profit margin is going to be necessary if Aniplex is going to continue licensing the high-profile series they have been picking up lately. The pricing for Durarara!! may not have an impact on this one series, but also other series as well.

I agree with you on how R1 licensing works, but I feel the need to point something out. You seem to be saying that Aniplex USA licenses anime they same way companies like Sentai and FUNi do: they pay money for their licenses to Japanese animation committees. But in the case of AoA, I believe it does not need to worry about licensing fees because it uses the licenses that Aniplex Japan already has.

Aniplex USA is unlike Sentai and FUNi because it most likely does not pay licencing fees and does not (English) dub most of its release. Therefore, it probably does not need to recoup that much investment money. Don't give me wrong, I think AoA's pricing is not outrageous, (In fact, I wish other R1 distributors considered their pricing structure because I am not sure the typical $50 per series model can pay the bills) but it is a different animal than what Sentai and FUNi are.

GokuMew2 wrote:
I'm not saying everyone should rejoice at the price but I don't think they should complain either because anime is a luxury. It always has been. Similar to how some people feel entitled to their free fansubs, some are feeling entitled to cheap anime releases which is just a result of being spoiled by other releases by other companies.

I agree 1000% with the bolded statement.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I agree with you on how R1 licensing works, but I feel the need to point something out. You seem to be saying that Aniplex USA licenses anime they same way companies like Sentai and FUNi do: they pay money for their licenses to Japanese animation committees. But in the case of AoA, I believe it does not need to worry about licensing fees because it uses the licenses that Aniplex Japan already has.

I understand that, but it's still speculation. No one here knows for sure how Aniplex is licensing their series. In the same way though, what I wrote is complete speculation as well since, as you pointed it, it's the "normal" way a regular company would license. *shrug*

It looks like people have stopped complaining about the price tag though so I guess we can leave it as it is.

EDIT: One last thing...

GokuMew2 wrote:
While reverse importation may not be a huge threat, it is still something that license holders are going to consider when licensing their titles. It is probably the reason why we're not getting BD releases of AoEx or Natsume Yuujinchou.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-31/sentai-filmworks-persona-4-bd-release-will-omit-japanese-audio-track

Now I can add "and the Persona 4 BD isn't including a Japanese audio track" to the end of the sentence above. >__>;;
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
I've been following this thread, and while the fuss about the Durarara! sets have been eclipsed by the Persona 4 dub-only option, I thought I'd mention something just slightly related --

This is why I am a choosy anime viewer. Due to the exchange rate, even 'cheap' anime sets are very expensive to me. While some people may be satisfied by watching a large quantity without caring much for the money that goes back to the creators, I only consider the 'exchange' valid if some of my money goes to the creators in some way. (edit: so, if someone says that they watch and love everything, but the everything involves a 90% fansub collection, I don't really care to be like that). That is why I am demanding; I want the creators to create something I feel is worth the price I will be paying.

If I were in the US, personally, I'd be more comfortable with the Aniplex pricing system than others. You pay an expensive price, but it is for a very good edition of one or two shows that you really, really like. I've calculated the pricing (roughly) and assuming that region blocking can be gotten around (not a problem in my pirate-y region) and mailing isn't an issue, the Madoka Magica American LE box sets would still be something I am willing to save up for. It's the idea of having one good thing that you really treasure versus a whole library of things.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I've been following this thread, and while the fuss about the Durarara! sets have been eclipsed by the Persona 4 dub-only option, I thought I'd mention something just slightly related --

This is why I am a choosy anime viewer. Due to the exchange rate, even 'cheap' anime sets are very expensive to me. While some people may be satisfied by watching a large quantity without caring much for the money that goes back to the creators, I only consider the 'exchange' valid if some of my money goes to the creators in some way. (edit: so, if someone says that they watch and love everything, but the everything involves a 90% fansub collection, I don't really care to be like that). That is why I am demanding; I want the creators to create something I feel is worth the price I will be paying.

If I were in the US, personally, I'd be more comfortable with the Aniplex pricing system than others. You pay an expensive price, but it is for a very good edition of one or two shows that you really, really like. I've calculated the pricing (roughly) and assuming that region blocking can be gotten around (not a problem in my pirate-y region) and mailing isn't an issue, the Madoka Magica American LE box sets would still be something I am willing to save up for. It's the idea of having one good thing that you really treasure versus a whole library of things.

A little insight, Aniplex in USA only sells thought RightStuf and they won't ship Aniplex's thing outside USA or Canada. If you want Aniplex's stuff, I would see if you have a friend in the US and ask if you can order them for you after you send them the money, and they can ship it to you.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
A lunch box? really? Just who do they think is going to buy a series in a child's lunch box? No child is going to be able to buy this at the price they're expected to ask, unless the parents are rich and spoiling, more money than sense, let alone that DRRR wasn't made for them in the first place, so again what adult is going to want this? Okay maybe in Japan there are "those people", but in NA? Well Aniplex probably only made 10 so I guess there could be at least that many American mothers what have given birth to those that would. The mind boggles. Rolling Eyes
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
As a 47-year-old I probably shouldn't be admitting this, but ... the lunchbox is actually a plus for me. I have a few things that have come as lunchbox sets (Armitage, live action Cutie Honey) and I dig it as packaging. Maybe I'm simply partial to tin?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 15