• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FMA and... Stephen King? WTF?!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
The manga and the anime are very similar till about the 10th volume or so up till the point when, winry wants Ed to say that automail is great and they are in the place where people specialize in automail. After that the path of the anime and the manga are very different. I still have no idea how the manga will end and the gate so far hasn't been said to anywhere.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
[quote="hentai4me"][quote="DrizzlingEnthalpy"]
hentai4me wrote:
You can't say you didn't want to see Ed at some point do some awkward flirting or semi dating with Winry or Rose and I just found Sheska so endearing and wonderfully eccentric that whenever she was on screen she became the lead.

Yes I can and I will. I don't like flirting sub-plots because more often than not they're just there to please the viewers and diverge from the main plot. Too common.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
[quote="cheezisgoooood"][quote="hentai4me"]
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
hentai4me wrote:
You can't say you didn't want to see Ed at some point do some awkward flirting or semi dating with Winry or Rose and I just found Sheska so endearing and wonderfully eccentric that whenever she was on screen she became the lead.

Yes I can and I will. I don't like flirting sub-plots because more often than not they're just there to please the viewers and diverge from the main plot. Too common.

Well the main plot was far from riveting...the side plots and episodes that dealt with things not directly linked to it were far more enjoyable.
Wolf X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
After reading much of this thread, it seems to me that people have for gotten the power of influence even on a minor scale. Because it is people that make anime and take experiences from reality and place them into a fictional context. If you look into your own lives how many people can you say that have had a minor role but have had a influence in some way. The same can be said for Edward and Al. They had hundreds of random interactions with people that in general had very low impact, yet each experience they were influenced at least a little. All of these interactions over time lead them to being the men that they were by the end and overall strengthened their bond as brothers.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Wolf X wrote:
After reading much of this thread, it seems to me that people have for gotten the power of influence even on a minor scale. Because it is people that make anime and take experiences from reality and place them into a fictional context. If you look into your own lives how many people can you say that have had a minor role but have had a influence in some way. The same can be said for Edward and Al. They had hundreds of random interactions with people that in general had very low impact, yet each experience they were influenced at least a little. All of these interactions over time lead them to being the men that they were by the end and overall strengthened their bond as brothers.

people still dont seem to get this, I dont like Ed or Al, they both annoyed me whenever they were on screen, the bad guys felt like generic villains. I thought the side characters, and potential side plots were wasted opportunities that would have made it a far more enjoyable series. They did a wonderful job of creating a big cast of interesting characters but they dashed them apart to focus on the repeated pounding on of the brothership/friendship message and equality in all things. The main plot was dull as far as I was concerned, I only watched to the end of it because I wanted to see how the side characters went on(and because everyone on here said it got much better...how wrong they were...)

but obviously I have different opinions to the majority of FMA viewers.
Wolf X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I can understand that how it seemed that all the side stories or "what if" possibilities where set to the side. That got me down to but then I remember that the story is from the perspective of the Elric brothers so to them everything else aside from getting their bodies back was unrelivant. However, with another view, the creators had a large story that they wanted to tell and a limited amount time to do it in. It is like making a book into a movie, there is alot that will be cut and changed to make it shorter.
YoMaNaTiOn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The Stephen King related facts could be either easter eggs or just a coincidence. Nothing more!
jousha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
I'd take their relation as a mere coincidence, but an interesting comparison between two wonderful works (though I only read two of the 7 books in SK's series). It's very possible there was influence, but a coincidence is equally possible--so, I think it's a good discovery, but nothing to take too seriously. If you had to compare two different piece of works for a paper, though, you've found your subject.

You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

As to those who have lost respect for FMA because of such a possibility . . . methinks you've never actually read The Dark Tower series, but criticize SK due to his B-quality movies. For shame!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, so it's possible it got some inspiration from his books, big deal. I hate to inform you but there's probably a lot of anime, shows, movies and more that got some inspiration from other stories that came before them.

As far as King movies go, it's unfortunate that most of them are so poor, but that's not really his fault his movies are adapted in that manner. Of course, most who've seen The Green Mile know that they're not all poor, that particular adaptation is extremely well done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nefadol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you've read the first volume of the FMA manga, Arakawa says that she loves B-movies and was inspired by them.

"I love B movies. I love the way they make me think 'What the hell is this?!' That's crazy!' yet still draw me in so that I watch the whole thing. I really like that feeling, and I like to bring a little of that kind of over-the-top flavor into my own manga. That was the initial idea that gave birth to volume 1 of this alchemy manga. Thank you for picking it up. As you read it, please criticize it by saying to yourself 'What kind of alchemy is that?!'."

That can be used for some of the comparisons, as not all of them are present in the manga.
Fullmetal Donut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
nefadol wrote:
Well, if you've read the first volume of the FMA manga, Arakawa says that she loves B-movies and was inspired by them.

"I love B movies. I love the way they make me think 'What the hell is this?!' That's crazy!' yet still draw me in so that I watch the whole thing. I really like that feeling, and I like to bring a little of that kind of over-the-top flavor into my own manga. That was the initial idea that gave birth to volume 1 of this alchemy manga. Thank you for picking it up. As you read it, please criticize it by saying to yourself 'What kind of alchemy is that?!'."

That can be used for some of the comparisons, as not all of them are present in the manga.

Except that Dark Tower was never adapted into a B-movie. This makes the coincidence theory more credible but also makes me grateful. A DT movie deserves a big budget.
morsmaestro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Even if its not coincidence, FMA is still a great series. I don't care if its the same exact story, in which case you could think of it the same way as a movie based on a novel, which often do really well. People copy other productions of art and/or entertainment all the time; inspiration is a part of everything. I don't think my respect for FMA should be shot down because it copied another artist's work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jousha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
As far as King movies go, it's unfortunate that most of them are so poor, but that's not really his fault his movies are adapted in that manner. Of course, most who've seen The Green Mile know that they're not all poor, that particular adaptation is extremely well done.

The Green Mile was directed by Frank Darabont, and the same goes for The Shawshank Redemption. Most of his other work was done by mediocre directors with mediocre actors. The Shining is another good one, but King didn't like Kubrick's adaptation so I don't know if that would count. Also, a lot of his B-rated movies had screenplays that he wrote, so it may partially be his fault. He just needs to stick to novel writing or find a better director.
Cover of Darkness

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
Oh Come on!

This seems a bit rediculous to me. Ok so there are a couple of similarities between the Dark Tower and FMA. But The Dark Tower wasn't even finished when FMA came out and i have no idea how long the manga has been running for.

If you are saying that FMA stole the idea of parallel worlds from King then you could just as easily say that King stole the same idea from Raymond. E.Fiest's Magician. The number of books and films with parallel worlds that can be got to through "gates" or "rifts" is huge. A good number of protagonists in books films and anime are missing limbs, it is not just Ed and Roland, remember Jet in CB.

Also small character similarities are always to be expected, its not as if there are that many standard character models/descriptions. Eventually they will repeat. For anime Ed has a pretty unique character design

I liked both The Dark Tower series and FMA. I found them both fresh and origional, but for completely different reasons. The tone of FMA is completely different to the Tone of the Dark Tower. I could probably find as many comparisons between The Dark Tower and Lord of The Rings. (and I think the Dark Tower is one of the least LODResque fantasy series out there).

I dont see why no one has pointed this out, much of this post had become I liked FMA, I hated FMA etc... grrr.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
[quote="cheezisgoooood"][quote="hentai4me"]
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

Me too. Ed should flirt with Mustang! lol I know it's not gonna happen, that is what fanfic's for!

Anyways, if you like the side characters a lot, and don't like Dante or the homunculi as much, I say check out the manga. Winry and the military get a bigger part in it.

Everyone says the anime is a masterpiece, but I disagree. It has nothing on the manga. The latest chapter was..woah. It was so good! And most of it was centered around Mustang and Hawkeye.

In conclusion, the anime's good, but the manga is the real masterpiece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3