• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Six Lost Mysteries of Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
What's with that poll, seriously. It's like, sorry if you haven't seen either of these two shows but we don't feel like remembering anyone who exists in any other show to include them...

Shocked
harminia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
The first two novels were released by tokyopop -- good translation, too -- but good luck getting them now.

Most of the series has been translated... By Tokyopop's German section... Lucky Germans.

But yes, Gosick (and Nichijou!) are both available from Madman! Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Real Drive had one thing I will never ever forget:

CURVY WOMEN

I'm surprised this never became a thing, especially with Masamune Shirow at the helm. The show also has one of my favorite opening songs of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsF6RciMaUs

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
To me,the biggest mystery of all is why have anyone even licensed these anime before? They seem pretty good. Why any of these shows haven't been brought here before is something I'll never understand.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Real Drive had one thing will never ever forget:

CURVY WOMEN

I'm surprised this never became a thing, especially with Masamune Shirow at the helm. The show also has one of my favorite opening songs of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsF6RciMaUs

Yes. This. I've got a copy of Real Drive in the archive I mean to find the time to watch. It was quite an unusual show. The main character was quite old for the most part, and many of the female characters were rather well built and all the more attractive for it!
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the female characters in Real Drive tended to the voluptuous with ample derrieres. Look at this image of Holon's rear compared to Haru's head!

The fansubs of both Shion no Ou and Mouryou no Hako are up on YouTube. I don't know if it's acceptable to link to them, but they are not hard to find.

I'm frankly not surprised that these three shows were never licensed in the US. First, they were all released before legal streaming became widely available. Shion concerns an obscure game, Shougi, and wasn't being driven by Viz the same way Hikaru no Go was. If we didn't have Crunchyroll around, do you think Chihayafuru would have been licensed? I notice it has never been released on physical media in R1 either despite its popularity. Aussies, of course, are not deprived of excellent shows like these because of the good taste of Siren Visual.

Real Drive is, frankly, pretty dull for reasonably long stretches. My favorite episode of Real Drive is nine, about "Eliza Weizenbaum," a play on the famous ELIZA program written by computer scientist Joseph Weizenbaum. I also liked the homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey in this episode.

Mouryou no Hako can also get slow in the middle episodes which consist mostly of four or five guys talking around a table. I've discovered I cannot watch this show when I'm drowsy as a result. It requires your full attention. As someone else noted, the opening episode about a "class-S" relationship between two school girls tells you little about how the story progresses in later episodes. The opening scene on the train is much closer to the tone of Mouryou no Hako.

I'll add one more show to the list, Nijuu Mensou no Musume. It's based on characters by Edogawa Ranpo, the "Arthur Conan Doyle" of Japanese literature. The heroine is a young orphaned heiress being poisoned by her guardians, a greedy aunt and uncle in pursuit of the girl's inheritance. Into this lovely family scene comes the famous master thief Nijuu Mensou ("Twenty Faces") who steals from them a priceless gem and the even more priceless Chizuko.

The Medicine Seller stories by Nakamura Kenji with Sakurai Takahiro in the starring role also deserve mention here, though I think they are better known than something like Mouryou. The first instalment, "Bake Neko," ran as the last arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. You can find a fansubbed version of Bake Neko at YouTube. It was followed by a sequel called Mononoke that streams on Crunchyroll.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
No Mermaid Melody or Zetsubo Sensei on the list? Now that's mysterious in itself. Mermaid Melody even had a DUB ready. Really sad that ADV locked it away after they couldn't get TV time.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
Hyouka, however, is always going to be a sore point for me. That series was wonderful, but the lack of an official release just tears me apart. I love owning the series I really enjoy

Agreed. I'm still hoping for the day Hyouka is licensed. Though, I doubt it will happen...

Well, at least I own Madman's release of Gosick. Watched that series last year, loved it, and so happy I have it on my shelf.

On the poll, I had to add SNAFU's Yui.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
CaRoss wrote:
Hyouka, however, is always going to be a sore point for me. That series was wonderful, but the lack of an official release just tears me apart. I love owning the series I really enjoy

Agreed. I'm still hoping for the day Hyouka is licensed. Though, I doubt it will happen...

Same here. All it takes is one enterprising company, though.

Ali07 wrote:
On the poll, I had to add SNAFU's Yui.

I wonder if the "add" feature is working properly? I don't see your entry for Yui, and my write-in entry (Food Wars' Megumi Tadokoro) is still sitting in the "others" box when I bring it up, even though I supposedly "added" it like 8 hours ago.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
For me Gosick will always be associated with Bones' fall from grace. Generic European setting? Check. Generic loli detective? Check. Generic noble Japanese servant? Check.

Now, there's this show which had potential but ultimately squashed it, Un-Go. It had interesting characters, slight touch of supernatural, and absolutely unacceptable number of episodes. It's ended up on cliffhanger and was forgotten for good after that. I wonder if second season was planned but ratings never gave it a chance to materialize.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
I recall hearing about Shion no Oh, and Gosic, but i never really watched them.

as for the poll, i agree with the first five characters. Ashitaka is, unfortunately, ignored often, despite bringing two warring clans to peace.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
i really would like too see hyouka but as a dub only person, its out of the question..... Crying or Very sad
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe the unraveling in 2007 and 2008 just made everyone more wary, or maybe it was just simply passed over that easily.

This is definitely possible. Half of the entries on this list are from 2007-2008.

yuna49 wrote:

The Medicine Seller stories by Nakamura Kenji with Sakurai Takahiro in the starring role also deserve mention here, though I think they are better known than something like Mouryou. The first instalment, "Bake Neko," ran as the last arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. You can find a fansubbed version of Bake Neko at YouTube. It was followed by a sequel called Mononoke that streams on Crunchyroll.

You can actually get Mononoke on DVD proper from Cinedigm although I don't think the reviews for the subtitle quality were particularly good. Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales is out of print after Geneon released it prior.

mewpudding101 wrote:
No Mermaid Melody or Zetsubo Sensei on the list? Now that's mysterious in itself. Mermaid Melody even had a DUB ready. Really sad that ADV locked it away after they couldn't get TV time.

Neither of these are mystery anime. Mermaid Melody is a magical girl show with fantasy elements and Zetsubo-sensei, to my knowledge, is a dark comedy.

XerBlade wrote:
1) Mystery anime never went out of "vogue." If it seemed that way, it was only because you weren't watching them.
2) I am 100%, absolutely, positively sure that "begs the question" does not mean what you think it means.
3) I see you trying to say Victorique was somehow based on Sherlock Holmes there... but instead it just makes it clear you've never read Holmes. The only thing that was even so much as a reference to Holmes was that stupid gimmick where she smoked a fake pipe to buy time while thinking. Otherwise, it's hard to imagine a character being more different.

I see quite a few similarities in the approach of Victorique's genius and Sherlock's, but seeing how the rest of your post is overly aggressive posturing, I'm going to disregard engaging in an honest conversation on this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
Nobody is going to get Hyōka unless it's very cheap. Kind of like sports anime. It can be a very popular anime, it still don't do well in US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3