• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Fans Polled on Favorite Mid-Season Spring 2016 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manapear

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting results. I suppose I have a better idea of which shows to start.
Shay Guy wrote:
Seriously? Nobody realized the show from the Attack on Titan team was going to be a big deal?

Anyway, gender ratios...

Kabaneri: 62% male
Re:Zero: 82% male
Sakamoto: 57% female
Bungo Stray Dogs: 86% female
Girl In Real Life: 83% male
Kuma Miko: 84% male
Diamond is Not Crash: 67% male
Haifuri: 90% male
Tanaka-kun: 60% female
Flying Witch: 89% male
My Hero Academia: 67% male
Joker Game: 69% female

And below that point, you start getting shows that don't show up on either one-gender list.

Macross Delta: 61-68% male
Mayoiga: 58-72% male
Kiznaiver: 77% female
Anne-Happy: 45-93% male
Bakuon: 94% male

After that, the only useful number is Super Lovers: 86% female.

Sorting the exact figures by gender ratio, we get...

Super Lovers: 86% female
Bungo Stray Dogs: 86% female
Kiznaiver: 77% female
Joker Game: 69% female
Tanaka-kun: 60% female
Sakamoto: 57% female
Kabaneri: 62% male
My Hero Academia: 67% male
Diamond is Not Crash: 67% male
Re:Zero: 82% male
Girl In Real Life: 83% male
Kuma Miko: 84% male
Flying Witch: 89% male
Haifuri: 90% male
Bakuon: 94% male

Sakamoto is the most evenly split by gender; Kabaneri is the one most representative of the respondents' gender ratio.

That's handy, good mathing, and thank you for sharing.
It's so interesting to look at the numbers/break-down.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
Tanaka-kun is Always Listlessc & Flying Witch is above Boku no Hero WOW(I like all three to be totally honest) thats really surprising not SHOCKING!!!! since i honestly prefer the manga but surprising none the less, really thought it was gonna crack the top 10 at least.

Yep, that was a surprise to me too. Have only seen a couple of Tanaka-kun episodes, but not feeling it. Love Flying Witch and Boku no Hero.

Have yet to see Kanbaneri or Re:Zero, but I've been planning to check both out. May end up doing that sooner than I initially planned to.

Happy to see And you thought there is never a girl online? in the top 5. I've been surprised by that show, as I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I have been.

Out of the ones I've seen from this season, I'd say the only disappointment has been KumaMiko. That one was my most anticipated, but the show feels hollow.
xyz

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
Only 572 voted for Kabaneri and there is only 8 votes higher than Zero and that's supposed to be overwhelming? But it sounds about right. Heck, there isn't much going on with Kabaneri. They haven't even gotten to the next station.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
I thought it was interesting that Kabaneri didn't even crack the top 2 in the gender lists, but managed to get #1 overall. However, it is apparently the only series that did strongly with both genders.

FtKaru wrote:
Quote:
and the unpredictability of its plot

I've enjoyed it thus far, but I wouldn't say a single thing in Kabaneri's plot has been surprising or unpredictable. I'd say it's par for the course as of right now.

Yeah, it has been incredibly predictable. Not that being predictable stops me from enjoying the ride because it is probably my favorite series this season.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Kabaneri may not be all that original, but it's been really fun to watch. Definitely the show I look forward to the most every week so far!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
I'm just surprised that My Hero Academia didn't even rank in the top ten considering that it was the third most anticipated spring show. Confused
tentensan

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:22 am Reply with quote
I really like Kanberi so it doesn't surprise me that it made number one. I guess people are really into that sort of Attack-on-Titan-like story, including me of course. However, on that note, I really don't think we can judge this post too harshly. It's just a few hundred people taking a poll, I don't think it actually weighs aganist the views of millions of people. Also, wouldn't the sales of the dvds of the anime show which one was really successful? Just a small question... Laughing
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
Hmmm some interesting poll results here and there, but most of the ones I really ranked so that's cool and to be honest I didn't expect Kuma Miko and Flying Witch to rank that well (especially just among males for the latter) so even better Very Happy
Edl01

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
The statistic that surprises me the most is that 89% of the people watching Flying Witch are male. I understand shows like Re;Zero being big with a male audience and Super Lovers being big with the female audience, but I expected Flying Witch to be more of an even split.

Not a big Re;Zero fan, never got past the second episode because after a 48 minute episode I couldn't remember a single interesting trait about any of the characters, but then again I'm also just a horrible cynic who thinks the vast majority of Light Novels suck so I'm most definitely not the target audience. If it sells really well then I'll check it out for sure, but I'll keep my expectations muted.

And to the surprise of no one Attack on Titan is this season's big hit. Araki knows how to make a mega hit that reaches a global audience like Death Note and Attack on Titan because of just how exciting and bombastic his direction is, it's clearly a talent. I'll probably have a lot of fun when I watch Attack on Trains, although judging from his previous works I doubt it will be much more than that.
SwordSaint

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that JOJO is not on the top 5.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:
The statistic that surprises me the most is that 89% of the people watching Flying Witch are male. I understand shows like Re;Zero being big with a male audience and Super Lovers being big with the female audience, but I expected Flying Witch to be more of an even split.

That actually doesn't surprise me. Flying Witch has a strong iyashikei (healing anime) feel to it, and those type of shows (Aria, Non Non Biyori, et. al.) have always been predominantly for an older male audience - gives them something to de-stress with at the end of their 18-hour work days. I'm an older working stiff, and it's definitely one of my favorite shows this season.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
Actually by unpredictability, they meant whether the writer Okuchi will get it together this time, will this turn into anything close to Code Geass or another Valvrave, we are all watching to find out Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
CocoaBase wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Kabaneri may not be all that original, but it's been really fun to watch. Definitely the show I look forward to the most every week so far!

That's just sad.

The other "original" (not based on pre-existing properties) anime I've been watching this season is The Lost Village (Mayoiga). It's so bad, we can't even figure out if it's intending to be a comedy/satire or if it's just a poorly written horror with some comic elements (I'm betting on the latter, personally). Kabaneri wears it's heart on its sleeve, but it's full of well directed action scenes and it's main character is a nerd with superpowers. It's a lot of fun to watch.
hack5

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:

Not a big Re;Zero fan, never got past the second episode because after a 48 minute episode I couldn't remember a single interesting trait about any of the characters, but then again I'm also just a horrible cynic who thinks the vast majority of Light Novels suck so I'm most definitely not the target audience. If it sells really well then I'll check it out for sure, but I'll keep my expectations muted.

And to the surprise of no one Attack on Titan is this season's big hit. Araki knows how to make a mega hit that reaches a global audience like Death Note and Attack on Titan because of just how exciting and bombastic his direction is, it's clearly a talent. I'll probably have a lot of fun when I watch Attack on Trains, although judging from his previous works I doubt it will be much more than that.

I agree on re zero somehow the time thing is not that interesting and everyone is acting like its the best show this season it feels like a repeat and rinse show but who's to say, i might change my mind after the show finish airs
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Actually by unpredictability, they meant whether the writer Okuchi will get it together this time, will this turn into anything close to Code Geass or another Valvrave, we are all watching to find out Laughing

LOL! English bookies should place bets on whether this show will fall apart by the end (you might say it'll be a train wreck *hears groans*)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4