• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Coming Back?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
You have to understand, before Toei can do anything, they need to figure out the current setup with 4Kids. While 4Kids might've washed their hands of the series and eliminated any reference to it, what exactly is going on behind the scences?

Did 4Kids break some part of the contract agreement by suddenly not showing One Piece?? Is it fesaeable for Toei to break the contract with 4Kids? Is Toei preparing for a lawsuit of some sort against 4kids for 4kids lackluster dub and editing?? Has 4Kids just said "screw it" and gave OP back to Toei to handle? Whatever it is, that needs to be dealt with first.

I think what Toei should do is give reins to Viz Media, since they do the One Piece Manga and have ample track records with both Naruto and Bleach.
CanSomebodySayMedic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
well, the company only specializing on outdated Yu-Gi-Oh! epsidoes, bad card strategy mixed with codes-eqe shows, good Ital-nime-tion programming, and the worse TMNT spin-off since the 2003 remake of the 1980s culture shock we call: 'Ninja Turtles. oh, a...and a stupid show about pinatas. (FOXKids was way better than you Al K. of 4Kids)
yea, VIZ should now run the show, but they might need to shred out the 4Kids dubs out of existiance before they start making the dub (and re-doing the seires altogether).
or just give the show to Saban and let the VAs of MCK to do the show, and then plop the show onto eather JETIX or CN / [as].

--The FZ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
It gives me hope that the rumor might actually turn out to be true if Tempest thinks it's reasonable. It certainly sounds like a real-life scenario, especially with the whole Toei being surprised that English speakers would actually prefer the uncensored, all episodes included, with decent voices version of One Piece. (Sometimes, I don't think the people at Toei have enough brains to be running a doughnut shop let alone a major company.)

It's funny. I avoided this series in both subbed and dubbed forms for a long time due to my dislike for the art style. Occasionally, if nothing else was on, I flipped on the dub for background noise but it was so bad that even I, a dub lover, couldn't listen. (Sanji's voice, even before I knew anything about the character, sounded awful in the dub.)

My sister, out of curiousity, started watching the subbed One Piece. Then she got me to watch. Now I understand the pain of the fans when it comes to the 4Kids dub. It seems 10 times worse having actually seen the original version.

If One Piece comes back with a new dub, my sister will buy it for sure and I'll probably pick it up too eventually. Whomever got it, and I'd personally like to see Funimation over Viz, would need to wait for at least two years before releasing it so they can build up the hype for the better dub and uncut episodes.

Plus, there's probably a lot of red tape to work out with Toei and 4Kids. As Abarenbo Shogun mentioned, the actual status of the series is still very much unknown. Toei could probably make a good arugement for breach of contract though based solely on 4Kids poor handling of the series.

Premptive Post Strike: I'd prefer Funimation over Viz because I think Funi has a better stable of VAs. I'm aware that they have on occasion made radical changes to a dub (Detective Conan becoming Case Closed and replacing many characters' Japanese names with English names.) I just think Funi would handle One Piece with the same dedication that they showed Fullmetal Alchemist.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Premptive Post Strike: I'd prefer Funimation over Viz because I think Funi has a better stable of VAs. I'm aware that they have on occasion made radical changes to a dub (Detective Conan becoming Case Closed and replacing many characters' Japanese names with English names.) I just think Funi would handle One Piece with the same dedication that they showed Fullmetal Alchemist.

FUNimation HAD to rename Detective Conan as Case Closed due to legal issues regarding Conan: The Barbarian (Just like with Tetsujin 28 becoming Gigantor due to issues with Marvel over Iron Man).

But I'm sure they'd do great with redubbing One Piece. We've seen how FUNi fixed its reputation well after the whole fiasco with Dragon Ball Z (Although the HFIL edit was hilarious), and now they're not that bad a company.

Failing them, maybe Geneon, Bandai, or ADV should pick OP up. And I've already got a few ideas for some VAs:

Luffy: Mona Marshall
Zoro: Steven Blum (Come on, he's Spike!)
Nami: Either Michelle Ruff or Wendee Lee
Sanji: Greg Ayres

Any other ideas?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Greg Ayres would be in the same dubbing studio as Blum or Lee, aren't they in totally different companies. And I don't think Ayres would be a good Sanji.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
This is no big surprise to me, and to answer everyone's Questions, Yes, 4Kids still has the rights to the rest of the Alabaster Kingdom Arc, because aparently, these Episodes have already aired in the U.K

and as for those first two seasons of DBZ, funimation did'nt butcher those first 2 seasons episodes, it was actually Saban/Ocean Group, that mangled those early episodes, that was back than when Funimation had Saban on they're backs.

But during the Freeza saga, Funimation finnaly broke away from Saban and went from they're with they're own thing, and true, Funimation have fixed the mistakes that saban did to them.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
I don't think Greg Ayres would be in the same dubbing studio as Blum or Lee, aren't they in totally different companies. And I don't think Ayres would be a good Sanji.

Hey, Blum is quite the voice-whore. Surely he'd make a totally badass Zoro.

Why don't you like the Idea of Greg Ayres as Sanji? Come on, he's Chrono!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I think a way to get the One Piece anime the popularity outside Japan it deserves could lie in the movies. Perhaps VIZ could license the movies, and run some big fancy campaign for them in US Shonen Jump. Maybe the Jump's could come with free DVDs which have a trailer for the movie on them, or something, or 'secret codes' to get to a page on the website with a trailer, to get people interested. If the movies are dubbed good (ie nothing cut out and with a subbed version included) then people will be able to see that One Piece is not the piece of crap 4kids made it out to be. If there's enough interest in the movies, they might then be ready to take on the series again.

Thats a great idea. Viz or Funi should either dub the first movie or the Alabasta movie, although I don't know if it would be better to air the movie once it was done or wait until these 4kids episodes were over. As long as they keep it like Naruto then I know it will be a hit. All they have to do is show the commercial for it many times and during the movie when it goes to commercial have TOM say something like "So you like One Piece like this? Well I've got good news, coming soon all new episodes of One Piece just like this, new voices, new music, more action. Its One Piece like you've never seen it before, move over Naruo. Only Toonami". Something like that since the teens will know what is going on so its just getting the kids to watch is what we need to focus on.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
Oye, I feel like I've been duckrolled; it looks like a some people got their overalls twisted over firecrouch's interesting fiction. This kind of stuff is bad news; rumours are what inhibited One Piece from being fansubbed and scanslated for so long, so I'd say people should just ignore stuff like this until something official comes along.

So that means, keep calling Toei (for what it's worth), prodding them until they try to take action. I really doubt any company has the funds right now to pay for a damaged license, let alone the full price of the property (though, with OP's undulating ratings in Japan the price might be significantly cheaper).

On the final note, I can only hope FUNimation nabs the property while it can; Geneon, Bandai, ADV, heck, even Media Blasters. Just no Viz Media or 4Kids Entertainment, and heck, I'd give 4Kids another chance if they tried a whole different dubbing strategy for the title.
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
tempest wrote:
Actually, I believe this rumor. We just won't post about it until it's substantiated.

Let me make myself clear, I believe that Toei wants to see the release continue. There's nothing to indicate that there are active plans.

-t

And come up with a better theme song too, that rap was just horrible.

Aww... I really liked the rap. That was the only thing that was good about the dub. I like that there are so many versions of it as well. It's also my ringtone. Very Happy
I agree though, It should be redubbed and maybe the fans can vote on different voice actors that like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya had. Get the fans interacting with the show.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Oye, I feel like I've been duckrolled; it looks like a some people got their overalls twisted over firecrouch's interesting fiction. This kind of stuff is bad news; rumours are what inhibited One Piece from being fansubbed and scanslated for so long, so I'd say people should just ignore stuff like this until something official comes along.

So that means, keep calling Toei (for what it's worth), prodding them until they try to take action. I really doubt any company has the funds right now to pay for a damaged license, let alone the full price of the property (though, with OP's undulating ratings in Japan the price might be significantly cheaper).

On the final note, I can only hope FUNimation nabs the property while it can; Geneon, Bandai, ADV, heck, even Media Blasters. Just no Viz Media or 4Kids Entertainment, and heck, I'd give 4Kids another chance if they tried a whole different dubbing strategy for the title.

Everything I typed up is true; it all actually happened. If any of it is embellished it's because it all happened months ago. Besides, why would I bother typing up such a long, elaborate story like that if it wasn't true? The report on 'Otaku', however, is whitewashed. For example, I only talked to ONE representative from JETRO. I just explained to her the problems with 4Kids' handling of the series and what I thought the proper solution was. When I told her about a plot alteration that involved "sending people to dungeons" as an example of why 4Kids made a bad adaptation of "One Piece", she got this weird puzzled look on her face (and not the good kind). She said she'd talk to Toei Animation about my concerns. And rumors are only as bad as their subject matter. All it really means is that Toei Animation may be looking into continuing "One Piece" in North America. Personally, from what I've read and seen, I believe that rumor.

The best way to get involved and get what English-speaking anime fans have been asking for for a few years now is to send Toei Animation snail mail and tell them why "One Piece" flopped and what you believe should be done to fix it. Calling them wouldn't be a bad idea either, but it's more problematic.

Also, if another company licenses it the most likely candidates are FUNimation and VIZ Media, both of which I think are ideal choices. I'm sure Illumitoon wants it, but they might not be able to afford it at the moment. Bandai wouldn't pick up such a big series unless it was made by their parent company, and I seriously doubt 4Kids Entertainment will ever want to work on "One Piece" again.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

I think Blum would make a pretty good Zoro, but Ayres as Sanji just doesnt hit me as good, and YES, he IS CHRNO!!!!
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

I think Blum would make a pretty good Zoro, but Ayres as Sanji just doesnt hit me as good, and YES, he IS CHRNO!!!!

Well, who would you propose for Sanji?

I'm split between Ayres and Jerry Seinfeld.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

Well, who would you propose for Sanji?

I'm split between Ayres and Jerry Seinfeld.

Brock from Pokemon, not the VA who voiced him, but Brock HIMSELF!!!
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:55 am Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:

Everything I typed up is true; it all actually happened. If any of it is embellished it's because it all happened months ago.

Precisely why I think it's fictitious; typically, someone would jump at the opportunity to tell people about something as "incredible" as you claim to have experienced, which I find rather strange given there's an enormus amount of "experience" you've gone through that you just happened to not tell the centre of anti-4Kids Entertainment propoganda on the internet. I'm not totally doubting you, I'm just extremely skeptical.

firecrouch wrote:

Besides, why would I bother typing up such a long, elaborate story like that if it wasn't true?]

Having done many "long, elaborate, [fictitous] stor(ies)" in my time, I can easily outline reasons for doubting what you say, primarily due to dubious motivations:

1. It serves as a mobilization tool to get people to work against 4Kids; most of them are just plain complaining and really have no hope of getting the OP anime back.
2. It serves as a medium for you venting frustration/hatred of 4Kids by elaborating on ways to undermine them for butchering something you care about.
3. It's a personal glory booster for you; if people think you've done something like this, they'll respect you more.

I'm not talking out of my arse here, it's from experience, as I've made the same steps to do simmilar stuff in the past; a couple times here, a couple times on AP, a lot on BMG, SPP, and UPN waaaaay back in the day (2000~2002). The fact that you've actually came here to defend yourself is a huge signal to eveyone here that you're trying to defend your legitimacy, which is the same thing GreatSaiyaman777 did when he went to AP after we tore apart his dissertation on the inner political machinations of FUNimation's licensing protocol.

Coincidenally, I was asked a simmilar question in that Haruhi topic from a couple days past. You shouldn't ask rhetorical questions...

Don't get me wrong, though; while I do dislike the OP anime, and while I am somewhat of an ally to 4Kids due to their work in the past, I'm not doubting you because I do not want the anime to get another chance; it's because by giving it another chance, the anime has the potential to fall into the hands of VIZ Media, which is the only company I have a beef with. I've criticised Bang Zoom!, but they've demonstrated to me a conscientious dedication to self-improvement, which I admire in a corporation; VIZ Media is the exact opposite. I see them as rubbing salt in the wound opened by 4Kids through their annoyingly apathetic OP publishing, which I can now have a legal foundation in complaining, and if they take a simmilar approach to OP that they did Naruto, it seems evident they'll kill whatever is left of the franchise after 4Kids hacked it to death.

It's a gamble, really, and one I'd rather not see happen; of the OP anime stays dead, there's the chance the OP manga will die too, and that means we can be a lot more open about our covert actions once OP is branded a "failure"; afterall, most of us have been enjoying huge benefits from the OP franchise being so popular in Japan yet unpopular in America; no tardism, a lot of dedicated and HQ scanslations, a debateable story, lots of fanart, trivia tidbits, international camaraderie...the last of which is especially touching. Talking with people from Belgium, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Canada, China, Taiwan, Japan, Ukraine and discussing a manga that can be universally enjoyed...that's a community I'd hate to see get destroyed by OP getting bloated in the West.

Preservation of that stuff is why I took a break from AP; the tardism increased, old thinkers silenced, battles raged, blood was spilled, flames grew higher, people chided the sterotypes...I grew hot-headed and was punished for it, though I don't really mind the punishment and I only noticed it shortly before I left (one of the reasons I decided to leave); I had a brief visit a couple days ago and everything's just gotten worse.

It's quite a sad moment for the history of the OP fandom, especially at such a haven intelligence that is AP. Our sharing of initials with the "Associated Press" isn't just coincidence, you know. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2