• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kimi to Boku. Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
Am I the only one how thanks this anime would have gotten a very low rating if the cast was all female?

No, I would also expect so Very Happy
See Carl's review of Yuruyuri
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
I am continuing to watch it also for the sake of originality (usually all these shows are about girls, and now it is different -- and no one ate a cake yet or engaged with theatre-related dreams).

Huh ... that's really not asking for much in order to classify something as "original" Anime hyper

I did not state that boldly. I talked about "originality", meaning that this show is more original than hundreds of the type when girls eat cakes. For this genre, complete change of characters from girls to boys and no cakes is way more original than usual.
dpkworldwide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
Great review, Carl--thanks for giving this show the credit it's due. It is definitely one of my favorites of this season precisely for many of the reasons you mention.

I don't necessarily think it's "unrealistic": when I was in H.S., my best friend was almost exactly like Yuki (though not a twin); I myself was a lot like Shun (but I never had long hair and was NEVER that "girly"...). A kid I was on student council with was a red-headed Chizuru. I've also met plenty of H.S. aged kids with as developed a sense of dry humor as is depicted here, from my (twin!) nephews to a good friend's son who takes care of my cat (!) when I go on vacation. Maybe some of the viewers/commenters need to get out more often or start hanging out with a better group of friends! Smile

Good shows (of any kind) often take the best characters and situations and condense them together to make them more dynamic. You wouldn't necessarily enjoy a show that had only one or two of these characters and showed the additional mundane days in between the days when something notable or funny happens. They've "selectively compressed" the lives of these 5 boys into more entertaining episodes.

The thing I like best about this and similar series is that it gives me a chance to both reminisce about my own H.S. years and look on wistfully as I think about "what might have been". The characters are great and realistic to me--I could have been friends with any of them; their story and antics are fun and make me feel good, yet there's often some subtle, emotional sub-context that really strikes home (for example the Summer Festival story about Chizuru that others have mentioned). It's those little twists that make Kimi to Boku so special to me--finishing an episode laughing but with a little tear in the corner of my eye from the nostalgia or whatever. I felt that a lot while watching Honey and Clover.

Anyway, once again--great review and I hope it gets more people to watch and appreciate the show with the right frame of mind.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but I watched all 7 episodes and still failed to gain any interest at all in this boring drivel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2