• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Man-Faye on Jay Leno

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Thank you Jerseymilk, Wolverine Princess and the rest of the level headed people out there who read the article before assuming the guy is a major crossdresser hiding behind cosplay. I didn't want to take a public stand on this thread when it began hoping that people would read the interview and understand the reasoning behind Man-Faye without my need to defend his point.

Part of the reasoning for this is that I think the original spontanious idea for the costume is rather tacky and lacking in humor. I do however find the points of the police and convention center banning him from the con very alarming. It would be okay if they would have standards that apply to cosplay dress code that effect everyone, but this was a clear case of a double standard. The fact that Man-Faye was banned the following year and didn't get the support from the con staff is also a big statement in discrimination.

Although the humor of Man-Faye seems completely lost to me, the statement of censorship really hits home. Man-Faye isn't some delusional transvestite who enjoys being banned from cons. He is someone who is willing to become a spectacle (and maybe even enjoying it now) in order to make a statement. People like Man-Faye are important in this current era where our freedom of speech and ability to express radical ideas seems threaten.

I just can't see someone 'spontaneously' creating a crossdressing cosplay costume without trying to be controversial. I would also point out that we only have one side of the banning story here. Having at least thought about going to this years local convention with my kids (they're both girls) in tow, I really don't think that seeing this guy would scar them for life considering all the others that are out there. It just takes some tactful parental 'splainin' of the ways of the world. Cosplayers are a niche group in our vast anime community.

To anyone who is threatened by this, I have only to say that this is only one man, er, Man-Faye.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Once again, he was just having some fun guys. I'm not a cross dresser or anything, but i've been to a Rocky Horror Picture Show or two and those cross dressers look like they're having a blast. So lets just stop whining about anime's image and fandom and all that nonsense, and just accept that this dude likes to cross dress, and has fun while doing it.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
GloriousPikachu wrote:
Once again, he was just having some fun guys. I'm not a cross dresser or anything, but i've been to a Rocky Horror Picture Show or two and those cross dressers look like they're having a blast. So lets just stop whining about anime's image and fandom and all that nonsense, and just accept that this dude likes to cross dress, and has fun while doing it.

Some of us are presenting the fact that their are far worse atrocities than Man-Faye.
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
I am aware, and I encourage you to continue, I'm speaking to the sections of people angry about the whole ordeal. Forgive me, I should have clarified
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:01 am Reply with quote
GloriousPikachu wrote:
I am aware, and I encourage you to continue, I'm speaking to the sections of people angry about the whole ordeal. Forgive me, I should have clarified

I think I can understand the hatred of Man-Faye by some. As is with all forms of "Bad cosplay."

Let's put it this way: we're engrained on what things should look like. It has to either be perfect, or a damn near carbon copy. I think this is why some of us Anime/Manga fans hate certain cosplays and like others. Some of us can even understand when certain cosplays are pure funny, and some are instant failures. Man-Faye pretty much shatters the sexy look of Faye Valentine with his physique and....."hair."

Right now, i'm looking thru iichan's cosplay board, and there are some excellent cosplay, and then there are the ones where you have to go "WHAT THE HELL?!?!" And to be perfectly honest, Americans can't cosplay some characters even if their life depended on it.

I'll stop now before I start going into a rant about African-Americans trying to cosplay Japanese Characters.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
I don't cosplay myself, but my understanding of it is that it is not so much an attempt to be a perfect image of the chara as much as it is a show of appreciation and devotion to the chara and anime it represents for the fan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
-gecko- wrote:
I don't cosplay myself, but my understanding of it is that it is not so much an attempt to be a perfect image of the chara as much as it is a show of appreciation and devotion to the chara and anime it represents for the fan.

It really depends on how seriously you take cosplaying. Some people do it totally for fun and to enjoy dressing as a favourite character or illustrate their fandom for a particular show.

Others take it more seriosuly in that they *do* indeed try to emulate the character as closely as possible. They work at everything from as accurate a costume as possible to imitating the character behaviour, body language, poses, etc. And of course there are those that seriously compete at the masquerade competitions. It's also about fun for these types too, but just on a different level.

For me personally, yes I do cosplay, the choice of character I cosplay as is decided by whether or not I think I can pull the character off physically-wise first. Obviously I look at characters from series and games I love. But ya I think it helps to somewhat resemble the character at least a bit to pull it off. I also tend to prefer a unique choice, but not always. I just never want to have fifty other people all dressed the same way I am, running around at a con.

I think too that there are some people who act like all cosplay is awful looking and only done by "nerdy fanboys/girls", which definitely isn't true. There are some professional costume makers out there who do absolutely "jaw-dropping" work:
http://www.limebarbcosplay.com/costumes.html

Then of course in Japan you have what are "professional cosplayers". Women that work in "cosplay cafes" or are at conventions, or events and promotions. Comiket, Japan's largest comic book convention also has tons of really impressive cosplayers:
http://www.storms-end.com/japanphotos/040813_comiket/
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Jerseymilk wrote:
It really depends on how seriously you take cosplaying. Some people do it totally for fun and to enjoy dressing as a favourite character or illustrate their fandom for a particular show.

I rather these people don't even attempt this. I am shocked at how many Final Fantasy cosplays have gone totally bad because of this so-called "fandom." Kawaii Kon alone had alot of ugly Yunas from FFX-2.

If you like the characters, fine, but unless you can do it within a tolerable ammount of accuracy, or do it as an intentional joke, don't, just don't cosplay.

Quote:
Others take it more seriosuly in that they *do* indeed try to emulate the character as closely as possible. They work at everything from as accurate a costume as possible to imitating the character behaviour, body language, poses, etc. And of course there are those that seriously compete at the masquerade competitions. It's also about fun for these types too, but just on a different level.

Unfortunately, I also have a gripe about this as well. There are some whom accurately cosplay, but are complete nutcases. I had the unfortunate opportunity to be witness to one Aeris cosplayer whom derided ANOTHER Aeris cosplayer going as a Zombie Aeris (as a poke to spoiler[Aeris dying in FFVII at the hands of Sephiroth.]) God, that was a sight to see.

Quote:
For me personally, yes I do cosplay, the choice of character I cosplay as is decided by whether or not I think I can pull the character off physically-wise first. Obviously I look at characters from series and games I love. But ya I think it helps to somewhat resemble the character at least a bit to pull it off. I also tend to prefer a unique choice, but not always. I just never want to have fifty other people all dressed the same way I am, running around at a con.

Of course, the other 50 range from "ZOMG, bootiful!!" to "KILL WITH FIRE!!" And it's always the latter that is the majority.
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Unfortunately, I also have a gripe about this as well. There are some whom accurately cosplay, but are complete nutcases. I had the unfortunate opportunity to be witness to one Aeris cosplayer whom derided ANOTHER Aeris cosplayer going as a Zombie Aeris (as a poke to spoiler[Aeris dying in FFVII at the hands of Sephiroth.]) God, that was a sight to see.

Oh I agree there. There is an ugly side to cosplay competition that's just as back-biting and petty as any beauty pageant. You'll get people that always take things *too* seriously in anything.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw shots of man-faye, I laughed- and that’s all. I don’t think he is a super fighting hero that he thinks he is* (as you can see it in the interview). Well, he does send a message, but that’s not really strong as it gets consumed in the humor and confusion around it. In the end, its just some guy who came up with a wacky idea, and made a joke out of sexy figures you see in anime, and in general, the idealizied physical apearance you see in media today.

So have a sense of humor, and drop the anime pride or whatever, because it’s senseless to take your hobbies too seriously. (No matter how much time you spend on them).

*Figure of speech: Exaggeration.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
If you like the characters, fine, but unless you can do it within a tolerable ammount of accuracy, or do it as an intentional joke, don't, just don't cosplay.

wow...so why dont we go on further with this opinion.

if you cant speak proper english dont EVER try to.

If you cant perform complex mathematical equations NEVER try

If you cant be perfect at a sport immediately then STOP trying

please...ever thought some people just dont have either the skill or the resources to make a near perfect costume? Why shouldnt they try and do the best with what they have? Why shuldnt they do something they consider fun that has absolutely NO meaningful bearing on anyone else.

Lets look at man-faye

he's not funny, he's raising points that have been raised time and again and he's largely innefectual but does he actually hurt anyone? Does his presence lessen someone elses enjoyment of a convention to the degree where the day becomes a failure(sure you may not like to see a semi nude hairy dude, but is glimpsing him to 30 seconds going to ruin your day?)
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I must say I'm totally shocked at the amount of hate thrown at Man Faye. I'm assuming he goes around kidnapping forum members kittens to get this kind of response. I find him to be really funny. I'm hopefully going to Anime Expo this year, and I hope I get to meet him. Maybe I'll slap his ass.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
For those of you complaining about how Man-Faye is going to give people the wrong mental image about what anime is, who would you rather have Jay Leno interview? Some guy crossdressing as a female cartoon character most Americans don't even know a thing about or a 12 year old kid cosplaying as Ash Ketchum and raving about how Pokemon is the greatest thing since sliced bread? I bet that half of you people who are complaining about Man-Faye were also complaining about Pokemon giving people the wrong idea about anime just a few years ago and whining about how people should treat anime as something that older audiences watch. Well, for those of you who did, now you've got what you wanted, are you happy? Next time remember to be careful of what you wish for.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iconoclast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I think cosplay is something every fan should enjoy. If they feel like making a costume and accestories than they should. I could care less if a 300 pound girl decides to cosplay as Faye or if a hairy man decides to cosplay as Faye. (Or any other character.) I think as long as they're having fun than it doesn't bother me. I also think Man-Faye has got ballls. <3 <3 I wish I could've seen him when he was on Jay Leno. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I believe that Shogun has illustrated why I find this whole thread alarming. Where do you draw the line between good cosplay, and people having fun. Do e have the right to ban someone from a con if their costume is not accurate? Should someone who is not Japanese go to a con dressed as a character from Kenshin? Can a Japanese fan go to a con dressed as Char? Since I'm in my 30s does that rule out almost all of the main characters from most series who are in there teens? Should that fan who is only 5' 6" not dress as Alucard, Gutz or Vash? Once we start judging what is "right" and what is "wrong" we start on a dangerous path of censorship and discrimination. I'll repeat myself and say that Man-Faye isn't funny to me, but to say that he should't be allowed to do what he does (or some of the even harsher things people have said) scares me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4