• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: France's Angoulême Comics Festival Displays Comfort Women Manhwa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:06 am Reply with quote
#shanez wrote:
This is a repetition, but Japanese goverment admits there was comfort women and feels sorry about what happend. But they were NO sexual slavery.

Why are such people even tolerated here?
oatari777

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
#shanez wrote:
This is a repetition, but Japanese goverment admits there was comfort women and feels sorry about what happend. But they were NO sexual slavery.

Why are such people even tolerated here?

Then what have you got to say about the fact that there are many comfort women who received a high reward. What the Japanese side want to say is that they didn't take them forcibly, SYSTEMATICALLY. Actually there are some records of recruitment ad of comfort woman at high pay or the old newspaper accounts reporting cases that procurers lied and took women away brothels or kidnapped and sold them as a comfort woman. Why they were given big write-ups in the newspapers at the time is because these kidnapping cases were out of order even back then. First, if such kind of thing was a daily occurrence, it must have been caused quite an uproar not in Korean Peninsula but also in Japan. The Chinese and Koreans should stop giving Japan a bad name that is far worse than reality.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Nothing is ever mentioned about Japanese "pan-pan women" after the surrender. It's not like Japan didn't suffer retribution at home. However throughout Japan's history prostitution was an excepted business and a way of making a living up until Commodore Parry's crew showed up and the country turned "western". However that was no excuse to think forcing occupied countries women to perform that way was exceptable.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
The arguement over piddly details and semantics is a bit silly especially considering the most ardent denialists rely on the fact that the Imperial Government destroyed plenty of incriminating documents before the first American boots touched the ground and the few US army intelligence reports that stated these women were paid very well and were permitted a good deal of autonomy (which were probably isolated cases). The argument of oh...the army didn't personally go and kidnap women but we hired/relied on third parties to do so for us (while we encouraged or turned a blind eye to it) is a terrible defense.

However I only find the system objectionable during the Showa Period, If implemented correctly, a system of liscensure and regulation for prostitutes is no different than the government hiring contractors to provide any other service for the military. Ever since the times of the Roman Legions, the tail of any military column would have a massive train of civilians among which are prostitutes to service the men.

If one can accept the Imperial Japanese weren't evil caricatures who decided to start this system for TEH EVULZ. One can probably accept their initial army memorandums to implement such a system to prevent "rapes" (however flawed their logic may be) so as to win the hearts and minds of the people by not raping the general populace. The way I see it, when they had to massively expand the Japanese military from the usual 29 square divisions to over 100 (60 deployed in China alone) horrific abuses were bound to happen. Especially when you see that problem stemmed from them not being able to find enough Japanese women to fill the ranks (probably with good reason considering how brutalized the average Japanese conscript was). The racism instilled at the time probably didn't help matters either.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
KBS World Radio has published the article along with an audio clip talking about this exhibition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3