• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Emily Neves Stars as Ange in Cross Ange English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Cross Ange did make a lot of waves on the Internet when it came out so maybe they are expecting it to sell well.

Well a lot of people liked it, and the people whining about it vastly increased the visibility of the series.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Well a lot of people liked it, and the people whining about it vastly increased the visibility of the series.

The big issue over it mostly had to do with the perception that the anime was either misogynist or catering to misogynists. Particularly but not exclusively over the ending scene of the first episode which was widely regarded as nothing more than rape hentai.

My own opinion is the writer/director deliberately played with the reactions they knew they would get and it worked. Using so-called "convenient censorship" to obscure what actually happened in that scene caused a lot of Internet arguments (spoiler[was it anal? was it vaginal? was it really sexual penetration at all?]) which in effect generated market buzz of the product that it wouldn't have normally gotten. Some critics objected to the anime with that as the basis.

Having watched the whole thing on streaming I actually ended ordering the media because I think it ended up being quite good fantasy/sci-fi. It has a strong sexual sub-theme to it and a considerable sense of humor. Bottom line is I think it is worth owning the media.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why the fans of Cross Ange latch onto that one scene in the first episode as though that was the only issue people had with it. Why do people forget about that whole absurd accidental blow job scene? But I still remember it was last summer it seemed like half of the ANN forums were accusing me of trying to ban all anime because of that email I sent to Answerman about Cross Ange. Rolling Eyes
macattack

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
macattack wrote:
Cross Ange did make a lot of waves on the Internet when it came out so maybe they are expecting it to sell well.

To be honest I enjoyed it too, as a guilty pleasure watch. I am not above watching an ecchi if it has a good story and animation and Cross Ange has both of those things going for it.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/05/20/complete-cross-ange-english-dub-cast-listed

Full dub cast has been revealed. Lot of new people...but here are the major characters.

Jill - Brenda Valdivia

Momoka - Cynthia Martinez

Tusk - Austin Tindle

Rosalie - Margaret Lewis

Eersha - Christina Kelly

Chris - Caitlynn French

Coco - Shanae’a Moore

Zola - Shelley Calene-Black

Julio - Blake Shepard

Emma - Tiffany Grant

Jasmine - Marcy Bannor

Mei - Hilary Haag

Embryo - Chris Patton

Salamandine - Juliet Simmons

Voice actors for supporting characters include Kelly Manison (haven't heard her in quite a long time since Madlax....unless I'm missing something), Alison Sumrall, David Ward, and Molly Searcy, amongst a lot of newcomers.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Voice actors for supporting characters include Kelly Manison (haven't heard her in quite a long time since Madlax....unless I'm missing something)

She reprised her role as Urutori for the Utawarerumono OVA earlier this year, but before that, it had been several years since she was in a Houston dub. Nice to see she's been getting new roles since that reprisal (besides this, also looks like she's in the Bodacious Space Pirates movie).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Haven't heard from Cynthia Martinez in ages... I've no doubt she'll fare well as Momoka-chan. Smile
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Haven't heard from Cynthia Martinez in ages.

I haven't seen much of Hillary Haag in years as well. Too bad the ANN encyclopedia doesn't sort titles by dates the way IMDB does, but I don't see she has done much recently. Good to see her back in the game.

Could someone fill me in on something? I have had this title on order since April 10 but this news is only coming out now. Do they announce and take orders for dub titles before they even get to the stage that they know who the cast is, or have they just successfully kept the list under wraps?
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Haven't heard from Cynthia Martinez in ages.

I haven't seen much of Hillary Haag in years as well. Too bad the ANN encyclopedia doesn't sort titles by dates the way IMDB does, but I don't see she has done much recently. Good to see her back in the game.

Tiffany Grant and Marcy Bannor as well. Last I heard them in was probably Evangelion, and Bantorra....

Which makes me wonder.....have Nancy Novotny and Mandy Clark done anything?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3