• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Recent Chapters Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't really find a thread talking about the recent chapters, so I decided to make one.

The past few chapters of the Fishman Island arc have been really good. We're now just setting the stage for the action and I can't wait to see all the new moves and techniques the Straw Hats have learned.
In the new chapter, seeing Luffy take out at least 50,000 enemies with Haoshukou Haki was just pure epicness. Hody and his crew don't stand a chance.

On a side note, a lot of fans believe Jinbe might join this arc, but I'm really not seeing it. I think he works best as an ally, but a crewmate, it would seem sorta out of place.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:35 am Reply with quote
I have my doubts that they'll get a new crewmate on fishman island as the crew have only just gotten back together and there isnt a real strong candidate for one.

I've liked this arc well enough, its not been one of the best but its nice to get more backstory on the whole fishman species
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
Hmm... you'd think there would have been a long standing One Piece thread here. Even if it was an old one. Oh well, I don't visit the manga forum all too much anyways.

But I don't know, I think Jinbe or Jinbei or Jimbei, I think he has the same odds of joining the crew as Frankie did when we first met the character and for most of the Water 7 and following arc up until the aftermath of those battles. You didn't really get a sense that Frankie would be joining the crew until a couple of chapters right before he actually joined.

For the most part I'm enjoying this arc. Kinda of slowed down when they finally made it to mermaid island but it's finally picking up again. I'm getting ready for some kinda twist with the giant princess and Vander Decken but it could very well be that these villians will be like your captain Kuro or Buggy or Don Kreg where they'll give the Straw Hats trouble, but the SH are just too powerful for them. Not throw away villians but villians who are just in the Straw Hats way as they visit the island. As opposed to the closer fights like Crocodile, Arlong and the CP9.
luffy0127

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
I dont know but the Fishman Island Arc is something that I really look forward to. I was always curious on the history of the mermen. Not only that it open so many secrets to us along the way but it also shows us the beauty of the (under) sea.

Not to mention, that the fight between Strawhat Pirates and Hody's Crew is heating up. The most exciting part in here I guess is to see how far did they improve after 2 years. To see their new techniques and everything.

In totality, I would say that this is one of my favorite anime so far... It made me cry, laugh and dream.

Important Note: I really love the way the crying is being emphasized or the sadness is given highlight in the anime. Laughing
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
This week's chapter was phenomenal. Most of the Straw Hats were showing off their new moves. My favorite would have to be Zoro's Kooujo Ootastumaki-whateveryacallit.
Sanji's explanation for learning Sky Walk was hilarious. It's great to see some of the Rokushiki techniques become implemented into his training.
4750G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
Fishman Island arc is really good so far. It's frustrating how I can only read one chapter a week. Luffy's crew is stronger than ever. I can't wait for Luffy to fight Hordy, that's where his strength from training for two years will really be shown. As for Jinbei, I don't see him joining the crew at all. After all, I like the idea of the Strawhat Pirates having a specific role for each crew member, and Jinbei just doesn't fit any. Plus he's way too mature (I can't think of a better word) to be of any comic relief.
Ness_Success

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
idk not really liking the new chapters. I found Sanjis explanation for rlearning his skywalk more insulting to the audience than hilarious.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Ness_Success wrote:
idk not really liking the new chapters. I found Sanjis explanation for rlearning his skywalk more insulting to the audience than hilarious.

Insulting to the audience? The hell are you talking about?
You're over analyzing a comedic explanation for learning an already established martial arts technique.

But anyway, this week's chapter was really exciting. I knew Nami, Usopp and Chopper would get their chance to shine. Chopper's horn point looks amazing, and Iron Pirate Franky Shogun looks epic.
Noah has finally reached Fishman Island, so I can't wait to see how exactly it's going to be stopped.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
Fishman Island arc is really good so far. It's frustrating how I can only read one chapter a week. Luffy's crew is stronger than ever. I can't wait for Luffy to fight Hordy, that's where his strength from training for two years will really be shown. As for Jinbei, I don't see him joining the crew at all. After all, I like the idea of the Strawhat Pirates having a specific role for each crew member, and Jinbei just doesn't fit any. Plus he's way too mature (I can't think of a better word) to be of any comic relief.

I feel the same way, he just isn't silly enough. The only 'serious' character on the crew is Robin but even she has her weird thing of saying incredibly awkward and morbid things every once in a while. (Plus she's fanservice Sad)
Ness_Success

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Ness_Success wrote:

Insulting to the audience? The hell are you talking about?
You're over analyzing a comedic explanation for learning an already established martial arts technique.

But anyway, this week's chapter was really exciting. I knew Nami, Usopp and Chopper would get their chance to shine. Chopper's horn point looks amazing, and Iron Pirate Franky Shogun looks epic.
Noah has finally reached Fishman Island, so I can't wait to see how exactly it's going to be stopped.

Excuse me for having an opinion. And just because it was already established, doesn't explain why Sanji was able to learn it.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The ways of learning Geppou have never been fully explained or shown. From what we can gather, it requires an extreme amount of leg strength and leg speed.
Two years of running from Okamas on that island had strengthened Sanji's leg muscles to the point that he ran so hard and fast that he accidentally ran on the air.
The explanation itself isn't supposed to be taken seriously.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:38 am Reply with quote
So, yeah, this week's chapter had a really surprising twist at the end.
Hody stabbing Decken with his trident may have changed the way things were going.
If Decken dies, Noah might sink down and destroy Fishman Island. Or it could float to the surface (which I highly doubt.)
m_traydor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, surprising is right! I'm not sure what Hody is planning but I do know I can't wait to find out what it is! Seeing the brothers back in action was good too. I wonder if we'll see more of King Neptune as well since he pretty much said it is important that Noah doesn't get damaged.
4750G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
Just read the latest chapter yesterday. Finally, the Strawhat crew will be facing some real enemies instead of those small fry. Can't wait to see how Luffy will overcome the fact that spoiler[he's facing Hody Jones, leader of the rebel gang, underwater when Hody's a fishman and Luffy's a hammer.] This will be very interesting. Seems like Zoro's opponent is fairly good as well, I remember a glimpse of his strength shown in one of the previous chapters. I really love what Luffy said in this chapter: spoiler["We'll protect everything! These two years were for this!"] Spoken like a true hero.

October cannot get here fast enough. The anime finally enters the new world arc. I can't wait to see these chapters in full color. I bet it'll be good.
m_traydor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Ch. 640 was really good. Seeing the Strawhats show off some more of their abilities was great! I really wonder how they'll get out of this jam they are in with Noah though. My first thought was they may have to destroy it anyway but that may be too simple especially to something that seemed so important. So maybe Decken mentioning he touched Hody might be what saves them or I still think Neptune could be up to something but that's sort of a maybe. Too bad there will be a break next week. I'm so itching to see what happens next.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2